Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MEGA TON is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

spelling of knife vs. knives

Like This Thread!
    I was pondering ( That's right pondering ) about this but why is the pural of kinfe spelled "K-N-I-V-E-S" instead of "K-N-I-F-E-S"?
    "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly everyone will side with you when you are in the right."

-Mark Twain

tucsoncoyote is offline Time to get my "Game face" on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Knife is an Irregular Noun.. so are Loaves, Wives, and ... Fish?

Quote Originally Posted by MEGA TON
    I was pondering ( That's right pondering ) about this but why is the pural of kinfe spelled "K-N-I-V-E-S" instead of "K-N-I-F-E-S"?
    Here's where you can find your answer to this Pondering question...

Knife is what is known as 'an Irregular noun', in the english language, that when Pluralized, the word follows the Rule in List Number one (which you can find on the page), and thus words ending in 'f' or 'fe' are in fact spelled with an 'ves' on the end.

so words like Leaf, Loaf, Elf, Wife, and others also fall under this same rule.
    So
    Leaf (Singular) Becomes Leaves (Plural)
    Loaf (Singular) becomes Loaves (Plural)
    Wife (Singular) becomes Wives (Plural)
    Calf (Singular) becomes Calves (Plural)
    Elf (Singular) Becomes Elves (Plural)

Interestingly enough if you also look at these english rule lists you'll notice something rather interesting.

Look at Rule List Five, (and this was in fact talked about Correctly in an Episode of Kim Possible (Naked Genius to be exact),

(In that episode, Drakken asks Shego if the Plural form of Fish is 'Fish' or 'Fishes'... and the reply Shego gives back is in fact the correct Answer..)

Shego: Fish or Fishes... Both are the correct plural form of the singular word (which is an 'Irregular' Noun) ... 'Fish'..

And who says you can't learn something by watching cartoons...

Edited Note: also here's another one.. Tomato..(Singular) in the plural form the word can end in -'oes' or 'os' so Tomato has both Tomatoes and Tomatos.as the plural form.(All of the words here are in fact.. Irregular nouns that when pluralized fall into those rules shown).

Cryptozoology 101: The truth is real.

Friday nights on CN.. Action, Adventure, and.. Chilli Fries?

Kim Possible 2002-2007. Save the Cheerleader, Save the World. and for one brief Moment, we the fans, did save the world.

Mynd Hed is offline Holy blue on a popo!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tucsoncoyote
    Edited Note: also here's another one.. Tomato..(Singular) in the plural form the word can end in -'oes' or 'os' so Tomato has both Tomatoes and Tomatos.as the plural form.
    But it still can't have tomatoe as a singular form. Sorry, Quayle. </outdated vice presidential diss>

Man, I'm getting old. Got to start working on my Cheney hunting accident jokes to work into casual conversation. You can't go wrong with vice presidential humor!

...Unless you count what I just did, in which case, yes, you can go wrong with it.

(-:

What gets me is the word "spilt" as opposed to "spilled." If you can do that, why can't you say, "I was truly thrilt when I first tasted sushi?"

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    What I'm really wondering about is in the dictionary the past tense of "smell" is "smelled" or in Brtain "smelt". I live in the USA and I hear "smelt" way more than I hear "smelled"
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

MEGA TON is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey what about nemisis? What's the pural for that?
    \
    "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly everyone will side with you when you are in the right."

-Mark Twain

Tay the Cat is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA TON
    Hey what about nemisis? What's the pural for that?
    nemeses
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/CassieHikari (I'm far more active there these days)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Pepper
    What I'm really wondering about is in the dictionary the past tense of "smell" is "smelled" or in Brtain "smelt". I live in the USA and I hear "smelt" way more than I hear "smelled"
    I beleive this is regional. US English has something like 12 different dialects. I only hear "smelled" here.
    ToonRadio.net 24/7 Online Animation Radio Station

The Kool Kids Klub Animation Podcast

Michael24 is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynd Hed
    But it still can't have tomatoe as a singular form. Sorry, Quayle. </outdated vice presidential diss>
    Of course, that's how it was written on the actual card that he was trying to point out. Not how he actually thought it was spelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mynd Hed
    What gets me is the word "spilt" as opposed to "spilled." If you can do that, why can't you say, "I was truly thrilt when I first tasted sushi?"
    On a similar note, I've always wondered why the correct way is to say "he hanged himself" instead of "he hung himself." The second way just sounds more correct to me.
    LiveJournal | My Kevin Conroy Fan Page
    Current TV Favorites: Arrow, Bates Motel, Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Family Guy, Justified, Longmire, Ripper Street, Sleepy Hollow, Toy Hunter, Unforgettable.

Dr.Pepper is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael24
    On a similar note, I've always wondered why the correct way is to say "he hanged himself" instead of "he hung himself." The second way just sounds more correct to me.
    Yeah I know
    An authentic blend of 23 flavors
    Want to read some movie reviews? Check out the blog
    http://animatedmoviegoddess.blogspot.com/

tucsoncoyote is offline Time to get my "Game face" on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

UK English vs US English

It's rather Interesting to note that there are indeed some differences in both US and British (UK) English

For Example The Word 'tire'(English and the word 'tyre' (British). Both mean the same thing but they are different.

Then there are the variations .. Like A Truck (US) is a Lorry (UK) and a bathroom (US) is a Loo (UK)

but then you have to thank Webster for all this..

oh and Tomato (US) and Tomatoe (UK) are still the same fruit (Guess Quale wanted the kids to Learn UK English

Then I look at the Irregular plural noun rules for words ending in -o.... For Example.. Tornado is the Singular, whereas Tornados or Tornadoes are both Correct Plural Forms of the Singular word.. (The Same Holds true for Tomatoes and Tomatos (which are the plural form of the singular word.. "Tomato"

Cryptozoology 101: The truth is real.

Friday nights on CN.. Action, Adventure, and.. Chilli Fries?

Kim Possible 2002-2007. Save the Cheerleader, Save the World. and for one brief Moment, we the fans, did save the world.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast