Master Moron is offline Forum Elder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you do when you get someone else's mail?

Like This Thread!
    Okay, this seems like an obvious question, the answer should be, you give it to them. But, well, I kind of opened it up already without realizing that it wasn't mine. Anyway, I've tried knocking on their door several times but they never seem to be home. So, I just left it inside their screen door. I wonder if this is a bad thing to do. Is it okay to leave it in their screen door or should I go and get it and wait till I see them in person to give it to them?

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Moron
    Okay, this seems like an obvious question, the answer should be, you give it to them. But, well, I kind of opened it up already without realizing that it wasn't mine. Anyway, I've tried knocking on their door several times but they never seem to be home. So, I just left it inside their screen door. I wonder if this is a bad thing to do. Is it okay to leave it in their screen door or should I go and get it and wait till I see them in person to give it to them?
    If it's unopened, put it in your mailbox with the flag up so the mailman can fix it, otherwise putting it in their door should be fine, maybe with a little note apologizing for opening it.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Mary_mari is offline SQUEE!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, good on ya. Your solution sounds very nice. In fact, it's something I've done before, except I left a note with it explaining why it was opened (it was their cellular phone bill, fortunately $_$ ).
    The man with the harmonica, small time shot away. A night in Lenasia, let's runaway. Hold the line, barrel of a gun.
    Music and wine, radio #1.

Binärpilot for carbon-based lifeforms~

Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Related subject, but keep in mind: sometime in the future you may get a piece of mail for a total stranger that has your address on it by accident.

When THIS happens, just write "RETURN TO SENDER" on it in red ink, plus maybe "This person does not live here." Then put the letter back in the mailbox.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's all come to this! Winnie cannot restore the Harpers' memories, but more may be at stake than that! Don't miss the explosive climax of Love That Winnie!

Zach is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just stick it in their mailbox.

LucheLibre is offline ...Testicular Fortitude...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martianinvader
    Related subject, but keep in mind: sometime in the future you may get a piece of mail for a total stranger that has your address on it by accident.

When THIS happens, just write "RETURN TO SENDER" on it in red ink, plus maybe "This person does not live here." Then put the letter back in the mailbox.
    This is incorrect. The piece likely forwards to that stranger. The carrier will know if it does or does not. If you get a piece of mail with the right address but the wrong name, treat it the same way you would if the address is wrong: just put it back in the mail box and put the flag up. Though if you feel the need, you can include a note saying that the person doesn't live there.

As a related point, if you write "Return to Sender" on a correctly delivered piece of mail, it will be treated as "Refused" and returned to sender. Obvious enough. But writing on an incorrectly delivered piece of mail is usually unnecessary and often ignored. The upright flag on the mailbox alone will tell the carrier that the piece needs to be reexamined. Many times, returning it to sender is not the appropriate action.

About the most originality that any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgment. --Josh Billings--

I dunno....they're either German, or they're just trying to be cool... --my cousin--

LucheLibre -- in an eternal quest to type something somebody else wants to quote.

solarflere is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LucheLibre
    This is incorrect. The piece likely forwards to that stranger. The carrier will know if it does or does not. If you get a piece of mail with the right address but the wrong name, treat it the same way you would if the address is wrong: just put it back in the mail box and put the flag up. Though if you feel the need, you can include a note saying that the person doesn't live there.

As a related point, if you write "Return to Sender" on a correctly delivered piece of mail, it will be treated as "Refused" and returned to sender. Obvious enough. But writing on an incorrectly delivered piece of mail is usually unnecessary and often ignored. The upright flag on the mailbox alone will tell the carrier that the piece needs to be reexamined. Many times, returning it to sender is not the appropriate action.
    Correct, I had a package delivered to me via USPS, I did not order it but my creditcard was charged. So I just went to the post office and told them to "Return to Sender" and thats it. But, there is a catch, the letter or a package must Not be opened if you are returning it to sender with no cost to you. If you open it, you have to pay for the shipping.

Kury Wagner is offline Jizzyboobgirlkury
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I apologize for rambling about off-topicness.

If they live near, I just return it to them, otherwise I give it back to the mailman.

Our mailcarriers used to steal our mail though. Both the ones that come to the house and the ones at the post office for the box. And my brother-in-law's father is always stealing the junk free stuff from people.
    goodbye to you, goodbye to everything I thought I knew
    you were the one I loved, the one thing that I tried to hold on to
    -Michelle Branch
    GEEK CENTRAL~! it pwns you and TZ.

solarflere is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kury Wagner
    If they live near, I just return it to them, otherwise I give it back to the mailman.

Our mailcarriers used to steal our mail though. Both the ones that come to the house and the ones at the post office for the box. And my brother-in-law's father is always stealing the junk free stuff from people.
    Mail tampering is a federal crime that has serious consequenses.

LucheLibre is offline ...Testicular Fortitude...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kury Wagner

How did you find out that they were stealing your mail?

About the most originality that any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgment. --Josh Billings--

I dunno....they're either German, or they're just trying to be cool... --my cousin--

LucheLibre -- in an eternal quest to type something somebody else wants to quote.