Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Master Moron's Avatar
    Master Moron is offline Forum Elder
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    13,646
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    What do you do when you get someone else's mail?

    Like This Thread!
    Okay, this seems like an obvious question, the answer should be, you give it to them. But, well, I kind of opened it up already without realizing that it wasn't mine. Anyway, I've tried knocking on their door several times but they never seem to be home. So, I just left it inside their screen door. I wonder if this is a bad thing to do. Is it okay to leave it in their screen door or should I go and get it and wait till I see them in person to give it to them?

  2. #2
    Matt Hazuda's Avatar
    Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Not of your damn business
    Posts
    7,387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Moron
    Okay, this seems like an obvious question, the answer should be, you give it to them. But, well, I kind of opened it up already without realizing that it wasn't mine. Anyway, I've tried knocking on their door several times but they never seem to be home. So, I just left it inside their screen door. I wonder if this is a bad thing to do. Is it okay to leave it in their screen door or should I go and get it and wait till I see them in person to give it to them?
    If it's unopened, put it in your mailbox with the flag up so the mailman can fix it, otherwise putting it in their door should be fine, maybe with a little note apologizing for opening it.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

  3. #3
    Mary_mari's Avatar
    Mary_mari is offline SQUEE!
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Used refridgerator box
    Posts
    579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey, good on ya. Your solution sounds very nice. In fact, it's something I've done before, except I left a note with it explaining why it was opened (it was their cellular phone bill, fortunately $_$ ).
    The man with the harmonica, small time shot away. A night in Lenasia, let's runaway. Hold the line, barrel of a gun.
    Music and wine, radio #1.

    Binärpilot for carbon-based lifeforms~

  4. #4
    Peter Paltridge's Avatar
    Peter Paltridge is offline It's worth iiiiiiiit
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Stars Hollow
    Posts
    16,927
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Related subject, but keep in mind: sometime in the future you may get a piece of mail for a total stranger that has your address on it by accident.

    When THIS happens, just write "RETURN TO SENDER" on it in red ink, plus maybe "This person does not live here." Then put the letter back in the mailbox.
    Visit my website! It's comfy and easy to wear!
    www.platypuscomix.net
    THIS WEEK: It's all come to this! Winnie cannot restore the Harpers' memories, but more may be at stake than that! Don't miss the explosive climax of Love That Winnie!

  5. #5
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    1,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just stick it in their mailbox.


  6. #6
    LucheLibre's Avatar
    LucheLibre is offline ...Testicular Fortitude...
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Martianinvader
    Related subject, but keep in mind: sometime in the future you may get a piece of mail for a total stranger that has your address on it by accident.

    When THIS happens, just write "RETURN TO SENDER" on it in red ink, plus maybe "This person does not live here." Then put the letter back in the mailbox.
    This is incorrect. The piece likely forwards to that stranger. The carrier will know if it does or does not. If you get a piece of mail with the right address but the wrong name, treat it the same way you would if the address is wrong: just put it back in the mail box and put the flag up. Though if you feel the need, you can include a note saying that the person doesn't live there.

    As a related point, if you write "Return to Sender" on a correctly delivered piece of mail, it will be treated as "Refused" and returned to sender. Obvious enough. But writing on an incorrectly delivered piece of mail is usually unnecessary and often ignored. The upright flag on the mailbox alone will tell the carrier that the piece needs to be reexamined. Many times, returning it to sender is not the appropriate action.

    About the most originality that any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgment. --Josh Billings--

    I dunno....they're either German, or they're just trying to be cool... --my cousin--

    LucheLibre -- in an eternal quest to type something somebody else wants to quote.


  7. #7
    solarflere is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    3,506
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LucheLibre
    This is incorrect. The piece likely forwards to that stranger. The carrier will know if it does or does not. If you get a piece of mail with the right address but the wrong name, treat it the same way you would if the address is wrong: just put it back in the mail box and put the flag up. Though if you feel the need, you can include a note saying that the person doesn't live there.

    As a related point, if you write "Return to Sender" on a correctly delivered piece of mail, it will be treated as "Refused" and returned to sender. Obvious enough. But writing on an incorrectly delivered piece of mail is usually unnecessary and often ignored. The upright flag on the mailbox alone will tell the carrier that the piece needs to be reexamined. Many times, returning it to sender is not the appropriate action.
    Correct, I had a package delivered to me via USPS, I did not order it but my creditcard was charged. So I just went to the post office and told them to "Return to Sender" and thats it. But, there is a catch, the letter or a package must Not be opened if you are returning it to sender with no cost to you. If you open it, you have to pay for the shipping.

  8. #8
    Kury Wagner is offline Jizzyboobgirlkury
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Hell's Cupcake
    Posts
    6,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    I apologize for rambling about off-topicness.

    If they live near, I just return it to them, otherwise I give it back to the mailman.

    Our mailcarriers used to steal our mail though. Both the ones that come to the house and the ones at the post office for the box. And my brother-in-law's father is always stealing the junk free stuff from people.
    goodbye to you, goodbye to everything I thought I knew
    you were the one I loved, the one thing that I tried to hold on to
    -Michelle Branch
    GEEK CENTRAL~! it pwns you and TZ.

  9. #9
    solarflere is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    3,506
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kury Wagner
    If they live near, I just return it to them, otherwise I give it back to the mailman.

    Our mailcarriers used to steal our mail though. Both the ones that come to the house and the ones at the post office for the box. And my brother-in-law's father is always stealing the junk free stuff from people.
    Mail tampering is a federal crime that has serious consequenses.

  10. #10
    LucheLibre's Avatar
    LucheLibre is offline ...Testicular Fortitude...
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kury Wagner
    If they live near, I just return it to them, otherwise I give it back to the mailman.

    Our mailcarriers used to steal our mail though. Both the ones that come to the house and the ones at the post office for the box. And my brother-in-law's father is always stealing the junk free stuff from people.
    How did you find out that they were stealing your mail?

    About the most originality that any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgment. --Josh Billings--

    I dunno....they're either German, or they're just trying to be cool... --my cousin--

    LucheLibre -- in an eternal quest to type something somebody else wants to quote.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO