Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Style is offline The Green Style Returns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you ever been attracted/intrigued by someone you've only met online?

Like This Thread!

Note: I am not a stalker.

But have you ever been strangely intriguied by a Toonzone member? Someone you like, or sorta like or respect, and you just become sort of cyber-attracted to someone, for reasons you don't know why?

There's someone on these boards that is strangley drawing my attention like this. I like the person to a degree, and kinda respect their opinion, but is not my favorite member or the one I most respect. And yet, I'm strangley preoccupied with this person, and will look for them online and look for their posts.

It's... weird. Can you really be attracted to a person over the internet? Does that make sense? Why does this person so intrigue me?

And no, you're not getting the member's name out of me.

Natey is offline blank
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i got a couple its strange. you just like thier posts its just really odd.

~Nate~
    -Formally imisshostinCCF

TimTwoFace is offline Mod, and Minotaur Bait
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Er...I know you're trying NOT to be creepy here, but it's undoubtedly going to be taken that way. So...let's rephrase this thread, and call it, "Have you ever been intrigued/attracted to someone you've only met on the internet?"

And yes, let's keep names out of it, just to be on the safe side.

-Tim
    CANADA

Sailor Chibi Otaku is offline Samanosuke Akechi fangirl
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Timmy for SURE.

Believe it or not but we're secretly cyber dating.

--

I dunno, really. That's hard to say. There are many interesting posts and threads. The web ingeneral? Yes but due to circumstances, I let him go, crush wise. I was so sick and tired of crying over him and getting myself sick.

the Amanda is offline Rogue Alchemist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am intrigued by "Internet crazies," but certainly not in an attracted sense. You don't get a lot of them at Toonzone, though.
    Previously Aurora Szalinski
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
    New at H*R - Strong Bad is a Bad Guy - Pumpkin Stencils
    Visit me at the Homestar Runner Wiki. - My Journal

Phantasm is offline Bittersweet Symphony.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    hhmm...I tend to click on threads based on whether or not familar TZers have responded to it. And I don't think there's anything 'strange' or 'odd' about it. I just want to see what certain people have to say about a particular topic.I guess it all has to do with perhaps, unintentionally wanting to get to 'know' these people better.Natural curiosity regarding others which we exhibit a lot in 'real' life too...
    Last edited by Phantasm; 07-12-2005 at 11:11 PM.

"Don't forget us when you're famous!"

Kury Wagner is offline Jizzyboobgirlkury
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I lack subtlety though... big problem

Yes, I have been attracted to a member or two (not just on TZ, though it doesn't feel as strange when it's a TZer, for some reason). I'd say it's not that uncommon... sometimes easy to get attracted to someone's personality.
    goodbye to you, goodbye to everything I thought I knew
    you were the one I loved, the one thing that I tried to hold on to
    -Michelle Branch
    GEEK CENTRAL~! it pwns you and TZ.

Natey is offline blank
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kury Wagner
    Yes, I have been attracted to a member or two (not just on TZ, though it doesn't feel as strange when it's a TZer, for some reason). I'd say it's not that uncommon... sometimes easy to get attracted to someone's personality.
    i know i am intreged to some one on this different site and it doesn't feel the same way with a ToonZOner. like you said i like the person how they make piffy comments and are funny in some sort of way.

~Nate~
    -Formally imisshostinCCF

Retro Gigi is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have been attrached to many people that I have never met online or off.
    But only for that split moment I or they walk by.
    Last edited by Retro Gigi; 07-12-2005 at 11:38 PM.
    Trust the fungus.

Aquadementia is online now Mutant Snow Goons!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I say, don't be ashamed to share your love.

And if you love to share your shame, really, who am I to judge?

I know people say that online you first get drawn to someone's personality and the common interest you share, and that's how you can get a better match.

However, I actually seem to be too shallow for that, so the answer is no.

But there are people I've known online that I respect and look forward to reading what they have to say about things.

Stop by the Fun & Games Board.
    It's like dropping anvils on the ducks of your imagination
    Now with
    Caption My Avatar! Caption Your Avatar!

Questions Only as seen on TV
    Velociraptor Fun Facts

Chad Bonin is offline a.k.a. Knux Five
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, I've been attracted to people who I've never met online.

They're called "Chicks I Walk Past On The Street". I've never met 'em online...
    gaijINside
    Comics, video games, animation, gadgets, sci-fi.
    You're multifaceted. So are we.
    AND WE'RE HIRING

Demonic Raven is offline Your galaxy is already shining
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knux Five
    Yes, I've been attracted to people who I've never met online.

They're called "Chicks I Walk Past On The Street". I've never met 'em online...
    Basically what I was thinking, which is that the thread title is worded a bit strangely.

Otherwise....no. Not really.

Kurtman is offline You blabbing old fart!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well......I did have a girlfriend in my school if that counts. But I was in 5th grade back then. The girl was in 4th grade. She and I always hung out together and chatted about animals and furries. Too bad we lost touch. Like me,she was also fairly introverted.
    Little sister,hits the stage
    She can't help it,she's coming of age
    Little junior,he's all in a rage
    Did you notice she was coming of age
    -Damn Yankees:Tommy Shaw,Jack Blades and Ted Nugent

Sailor Chibi Otaku is offline Samanosuke Akechi fangirl
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am now confused by this thread.

Are you asking if we've been attracted to someone we've met on-line or off-line? Off-line is a given to many of us.

I think Tim misworded the thread.

Bird Boy is offline WF Admin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Style 92
    And no, you're not getting the member's name out of me.
    It's okay, you can say my name.

As for the topic...I'm honestly going to say no. I do agree with Phantasm though; I'm more likely to read a thread if it's a person I know or respect.

-BB
    The World's Finest - Spawn - WF DVD Report - ZachDemeter.com
    Updates (WF): Check the news!

Kury Wagner is offline Jizzyboobgirlkury
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Chibi Otaku
    I am now confused by this thread.
    Good ol' Timmy.... read the first post, yes, Tim jumbled up the title. It should read "Have you ever been attracted/intrigued by someone you've only met online?" or something of the like. Frankly, it made more sense with the original title.
    goodbye to you, goodbye to everything I thought I knew
    you were the one I loved, the one thing that I tried to hold on to
    -Michelle Branch
    GEEK CENTRAL~! it pwns you and TZ.

ZorBrak is offline I AM A BUFFET OF MANLINESS.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The internet is just another social meeting place in the end. As the years go on and our generation ages, it will be less and less taboo for people to become attracted to people this way. Personality is a key to being attracted to someone and don't ever think that it isn't. Now come on, I do need someone to look attractive to me as well...but it's completely worthless if they have no soul. Sometimes, people can be so....extrovertive, or interesting, or intriguing that you may even find attraction to their personalities over the net. It's not weird. Some people may still call it weird....but I bet 100 years from now it's going to be absurdly commonplace and seen as completely normal and non-taboo.

guinaevere is offline agent provocateur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kury Wagner
    I'd say it's not that uncommon... sometimes easy to get attracted to someone's personality.
    It isn't just that it's easy to be attracted to someone's personality, because there's a lot more too it than that. Online, more so than even casual aquitances in real life, there's a lot coming into play.

First, we are reading another person's text. (Never mind smilies, because those are only minute crutches.) So *you* (no, not YOU Sam. YOU, the guy reading posts, chatting online) are filling in the blanks. YOU are INTERPRETING not so much the context but HOW a thing was meant to be said. And unless you're a masochist or a naturally aggressive/defensive personality, nine times out of 10, you're going to read something the way YOU would want to hear it.

Amazingly this is true with emoticons/smilies also. I could flash a =) at you, and while I may mean it as I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs but still fairly content about that fact, the person on the other end might take it that I'm giving them a come-hither smile. oy.

Secondly, you're not with them during the true-colors moments of life. You see them at the times that they've logged on. With young kids this may be managed by parents, with adults, it may by defined by when they have a few spare moments of freedom from work and the daily routine of everyday living. No matter, if it's a chat room, a message board such as this, some example of an online community, the person has logged on *because they want to.* It's their time to chill, to gossip, to catch up on whatever, to brag about whatever. So you're seeing them at their best, because you're on THEIR time.

You're not seeing them first hand when someone cuts them off in traffic, when they don't get their way, when they can't afford whatever it is they want, when they have to do laundry but would rather hang around the house with their friends, et cetera. And my darlings, these moments are very much the moments when the scales fall from thine eyes and we (if we're being honest with ourselves) see how a person truly measures up. Not that everyone will prove to be less than thrilling or horrible people, but you see how much they can be a total bugger just like everyone else is.

So yeah, it's extremely easy to see folks online and become intrigued or smitten or pick the word of your choice for them. Because you a) see a reflection of what you want to see and b) see them on their leisure time and c) don't see how they spontaneously react to an everyday occurance. You see what they chose to type, and if that which is typed is to their liking, entered.

If real life were like this, it'd be a much different place.

Now I'm spoiled for the OVA, and I've only watched the original "Bubbles Vanderbilt" series and the followup "Bubbles Vanderbilt Z"
    --Aurora Szalinski
    I have another question, as well... what happened to the first two Bubbles Vanderbilts?
    --Kury Wagner

sun
    sun is offline You stay, I go
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You had better believe it...

yep, I was attacted to someone I met on line.(NOT TOONZONE, VERY IMPORTANT) ...long story, much too long for here.It turned out very bad.....Because of Tim's limitations, it says, you never met online...I met her, and it disqulifies from more discussion..But I would urge everyone to reread Bubbles comment, she seems to have hit the nail on the head.....You may find it right above mine....Stuart
    “The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it...Returning violence for violence multiples violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. ” –Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

...... Peace, Faith, Love, and Hope.

MahouShoujo13 is offline ...is bored out of her mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh god.... I don't know how to say this...but...

My pen pal who is a member here (and rarely posts, due to his situation)...well, is one. Sometimes I wonder what he actually looks like (I've seen a picture of him and I couldn't really see his face), if he can come to NYC, if I get to meet him, if he's going to be freaked out, if he's going to judge me by the way I look when I finally get to meet him, if he's what he is on the internet, if he's going to go to NY for college, if we might have a relationship even if my aunt is skeptical of him and of the age gap....if....if...

Looks like I've said too much. Besides, he's not going to look in this topic anyway.
    "You're a cold, calculating woman, Maytag...I like that. Most people associate the words "cold and calculating" with villainy. But in truth, it is that sort of person who capable of the greatest good. In contrast, people who let their emotions rule over them are usually the ones who do the most damage."
    -Shepard, Flipside, Book 1, Chapter 9, pg 27

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast