Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chimera is offline Shazbot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What was the largest sword in history?

Like This Thread!
    I'm sick of arguing with people (who get all of their weapon information from anime) about this, and not having a specific example to prove them wrong. I'm not talking about individuals or decorations, just real weapons that were employed by real people at some point in our World's history of warfare. Can someone help?
    "Iím saying, to arms, to arms! Environmental degradation, disaster is coming," he said. Asking if anyone in the audience had seen the cartoon series Captain Planet, an environmentalist show for children, he said, "I thought of Captain Planet!Ö If humanity somehow does turn it around, partly [the credit] will go to [Captain Planet]." -Ted Turner

Artimus Gigan is offline Aeris Fries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimera
    I'm sick of arguing with people who get all of their weapon information from anime and not having a specific example to disprove their ideas, and a Google search proved ineffectual. I'm not talking about individuals or decorations. Just real weapons that were employed by real people at some point in our history of war. Can someone help?
    Well I know the largest gun ever employed in combat

The German's in 1942 used a gun with an 80cm calibur and a 28.87-m barrel

it was manufactured by Krupp it measured 141 feet in length when fully assembled and weighed 2,963,000 pounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    1. It was called the Paris Gun

2. Thanks for the input, you've helped tremendously
    "Iím saying, to arms, to arms! Environmental degradation, disaster is coming," he said. Asking if anyone in the audience had seen the cartoon series Captain Planet, an environmentalist show for children, he said, "I thought of Captain Planet!Ö If humanity somehow does turn it around, partly [the credit] will go to [Captain Planet]." -Ted Turner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Alrighty and I found the name of the supposed largest sword ever

it's a two handed sword callled a "lowlander" and was made in Scotland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.gothicfantasy.com/Swords/13Z2065.htm

This thing is thought to have been six feet long... But it does have a disproportionatley large handle (20'' to a blade length of 48'').

A Google search for the sword didn't mention it being the largest, though. Did you know that from a different source?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimera
    http://www.gothicfantasy.com/Swords/13Z2065.htm

This thing is thought to have been six feet long... But to be fari, it does have a disproportionatley large handle (20'' to a blade length of 48'').

A Google search for the sword didn't mention it being the largest, though. Did you know that from a different source?
    I typed in google

"largest sword ever" and it came up multiple times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I searched for phrases like as "largest sword in history" and "biggest sword ever used."

I suppose I should be more direct when it comes to the 'net.

Mog
    Mog is offline -_-
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I know what some people are going to say, but I'm being totally serious. You know that weapon Sanosuke used in RK? Those existed, only they looked nothing like the anime version. They were around 6'7" long, and looked more like a Katana. The blade to handle ratio was 3/1, just to support the weight. They were used against calvary, but they too big and slow to use and were discarded. It was originally created in China and used a different name. It's literal name is the "Horse Slaying Sword."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanbatouhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zanbatou

However, I have no idea what the Scottish made and used, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had made a bigger and longer sword since they were a much stronger nation than Japan and China in terms of physical strength.

Official WoW slave
    Alliance - Doomhammer
    Mogxiv - 70 Hunter
    Mogix - 64 Priest

Anyone00 is offline The Moltar-Snork
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not to sure but I think some forms of Chinese executioner’s swords were pretty huge, but they would be impractical to use on the battlefield (and things used on the battle field seems to be what your looking for).

As for the Zanbato, why didn't the Japanese "borrow" the Quan-Do(sp?) from the Chinese (and stick to it)? After all that weapon was effective at cutting a horse out from under a rider, and after they started making them with wooden hafts instead of metal they weren't too heavy.

And remember when your busy look cool with you big slashing weapon, I'm busy stabbing you with my gladius.
    Joris: Your story makes me want to have a little brother, Papycha. Isn't that weird?
    Kerubim: Don't worry, Jojo. You have your whole life to meet new brothers. Some you will choose, others will ruin your life, and others still will make it worth living...

OverdrivePrime is offline Excess ainít rebellion.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The German and Swiss mercenary group, the Landskschnets we also famous for their large swords which could compete with the claymore for size. These were known as Flamberge swords, and while usually around 5 1/2 feet long, were sometimes upwards of 6 feet.
    http://www.museumreplicas.com/imagel...0388_D_000.jpg

Eventually, these swords evolved into parade swords that were too massive for practical use in combat. These monstrosities were known as "Bearing Swords" and were primarily for a "mine's bigger than yours is" display.

The example on the link below is an impressive 7' -9".
    http://www.stephenwoodresearch.com/port/bru01.htm

He who has a strong enough why can bear almost any how.

- Nietzsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast