Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I.R Joey is offline Yep my face got stuck this way
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To all the Christians on the board or other religious people.

Like This Thread!

Has an anime ever offended your beliefs or anything. I think of Christianity in particular because I was thinking about all of Eva's use of symbolism, or another example being the Cross punisher of Nick Wolfwood from Trigun. Anyone?

Evil Dr. Reef is offline The King of Braves
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Although I don't call myself a Christian...

Offended? Not particularly. Made me think about something? Most of the time.

Christopher N. Denner is offline Defender of WTC film stock
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I grew up Christain and all, and while I admit that I do not watch that much anime, I don't recall anything ever offending me from what I saw or even made me question it (other than poor writing and voice acting =P). Besides... most of the stuff that go against my personal beliefs and understandings simply fascinate me, and lead me on to find out more about them... and often teach me quite the lesson.

Does that answer your question?

randomguy is offline Came, liked Ike, and left.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm actually not a Christian, but sometimes the anime habit of recklessly and sencelessly throwing in religious symbolism, you know, for the hell of it, angers me. EVA's symbolism is used with almost complete disregard for the purpose of said symbols. There are exceptions, but most of the time, it seems like the creators of shows with heavy symbolism throw it in there as a desperate attempt to seem deep, often cheapening and misinterpreting the source material.
    "So pray for peace until you're hoarse, and maybe fear will run its course.
    May God forgive us our insanity, and we'll keep pressing on."
    -Rodney Crowell, "We Can't Turn Back" (randomguy's song sig. #68)
    randomguy has ridden off into the TZ sunset. Details here. Follow his daily non-adventures at his MySpace blog.
    Texas 4000: randomguy and 42 other UT students bike to Alaska for cancer research. More info at link. View my rider's journal here.

Ben Administrator
    Ben is offline Wise Fool
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Although I don't call myself a Christian...

Originally posted by Evil Dr. Reef
    Offended? Not particularly. Made me think about something? Most of the time.
    I can think of a few. GTO has offended me once or twice, although I usually find it hilarious. Love/hate relationship with that show.

Religious references don't usually perturb me all that much. There are so many perspectives (most of them positive or at least harmless) in the world one has to be, well, forgiving.

EVA is a great example of the philosophical paralysis that comes when one believes one's ego makes up one's entire world. Read Franz Rosenzweig, The Sick and the Healthy, you'll see what I mean.

Ben Administrator
    Ben is offline Wise Fool
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by randomguy
    I'm actually not a Christian, but sometimes the anime habit of recklessly and sencelessly throwing in religious symbolism, you know, for the hell of it, angers me. EVA's symbolism is used with almost complete disregard for the purpose of said symbols. There are exceptions, but most of the time, it seems like the creators of shows with heavy symbolism throw it in there as a desperate attempt to seem deep, often cheapening and misinterpreting the source material.
    EVA uses Western religious symbols in a very Eastern way -- that is, as mythological . Calling the invaders "angels" is meant to evoke a feeling of supernatural messengers, not necessarily personal servants of the Judeo-Christian God. Recognize that they're using the terms and symbols as way of explaining, through cultural vocabulary we are familiar with, a totally separate world from our own, and you might be able to understand that they didn't intend to mock Christianity.

JustJack is offline Just Odd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I dont care what any fundamentalist will say. All anime, all shows, all comics and cartoons. It's all fiction. I'm a Christian, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be offended by Akira's use of evolution theory in their fictional story.

My tremendous intuitive sense of the female creature informs me that you are troubled...

I.R Joey is offline Yep my face got stuck this way
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well I'm a Born again Christian and I love it when an anime like Eva really makes me think hard about faith and stuff. But yeah sometimes it does just seem to be thrown in there to make it seem deep. Then again we do it too, think of how often we use mysterious Hindu temples for adventure, or statues of Buddha just lying around.

Evil Dr. Reef is offline The King of Braves
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by JustJack
    I dont care what any fundamentalist will say. All anime, all shows, all comics and cartoons. It's all fiction. I'm a Christian, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be offended by Akira's use of evolution theory in their fictional story.
    Exactly.

Majin_Megabyte is offline Ice Witch
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I also have to agree.

Anthonynotes is offline PBS: We rock harder than MTV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While I'm not an anime fan *or* religious, just thought I'd mention that Christianity is a very small minority religion in Japan (according to the CIA world factbook website re: Japan, Buddhism and Shinto (a nature-emphasizing religion mainly observed in Japan, IIRC--see: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...k/geos/ja.html) combined make up 84% of the religious population, while in the 16% for "other", Christianity makes up just 0.7%. Hence, one possible reason for the way Judeo-Christian imagery is treated in the programs you cited I suppose...

-B.

Mackenzie Rainelle is offline Anime Psychoanalyst
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's fiction, I know it's fiction, so it doesn't bother me. Eva uses symbolism, Wolfwood's a priest that doesn't believe in his own religion, Angel Sanctuary completely screws around with Heaven and Hell. Big deal. It's FICTION Besides, they poke just as much fun at their own religions' expenses as they do with ours. Lecherous Shinto shrine workers that hit on girls probably 1/4 their age (Grandfather in SM), bad-tempered gun-wielding Buddhist priests that don't follow 2/3 of their religion's teachings (Sanzo in Gensomaden Saiyuki), the works. If they can laugh at themselves, I don't see why we have to be so uptight.
    "Adults are just obsolete children, and the hell with them."
    ~Theodore "Dr. Seuss" Geisel

Sharklady is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a Christian, and it does bother me a bit to see it's symbols treated with apparent disrespect (actually, I don't care to see any sincere religion treated disrespectfully.)
    But I don't have much occasion to be offended by what happens in anime, 'cause that's something I almost never watch- it tends to be far too violent for my taste.

wonderfly is offline In the not too distant future
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually, I've been offended by an anime: Ninja Ressurection: the Revenge of Jubei. I watched the first tape, and I couldn't watch anymore. It wasn't just my Christian beliefs, but the mindless plot, and the complete disregard for history.

The story is supposed to be about the Christian uprising at Sekigahara in 1637-38. Yes, there was a pretty strong minority of Christians in Japan, till the Shogun wiped out the religion early in the 17th century. Anyway, I'll cut and paste my review from a website I worked for on occasion a few years ago. You decide for yourself.

From my review:

For those of you who don't know, the story IS based on actual events from the history of Japan. The battle of Sekigahara did actually take place, and the Christian uprisings of 1637-38 did happen. And I was really expecting a decent anime when I learned the old man was none other then Musashi, Japan's most famous swordsman,(who history does indicate was at the Christian uprisings on the side of the Shogun). All of this had me foaming at the mouth. But then the anime when to bloody hell. Literally.

The leader of the Christian rebellions is said to be the new son of god. He is said to lead the Christians of Japan to prosperity. But should he ever stray from his rightous path and die, he will be reborn as Satan. So the main character of Jubyei(who for a main character we learn absolutely nothing about) and his ninja team break into the Christian castle and starting cutting up people, making it possible for the Shogun's army to sieze the castle. The "son of god" meets Jubyei on the battlefield and tells them he will surrender willingly by commiting suicide(gee, there's a very Christian thing to do) if only Jubyei will let the rest of the Christian's live. Jubyei agrees, but before the "son of god" can act, his mentor(who turns out to be this really evil agent of Satan) accuses Jubyei of slaying innocent children, and "son of god" falls for it. This kicks of a pointless battle that leaves the prophecy fulfilled. All of the Christians were killed, and now we can look for the next volume to have the "son of god" reborn as Satan.

Just once, I would like to see a story of Ancient Japan not slip off the deep end and actually tell a decent story of actual historical events, as this one started to attempt. Or if not that, the least this anime could have done if it was going to try and truly mimic Ninja Scroll was to make the story more then just a blood fest, and give us the opportunity to care for the characters! Now once again, I am not against violence in anime, it's just that I would like to see a point to all of the blood spraying! Also, if this Jubyei is truly the star of the story, then I for one would like to know a little more about him then just "he's a lethal ninja for hire". The only thing this ninja has going for him is his name.

Any comments?

JETBLACK87 is offline Rip Van Winkle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm Christian and and one thing that offended me (though I haven't seen it) was the CN edit of big O of the button or something that they took out. in the name of God something? anyway I haven't seen eva yet but I really need to.
    Join The Cowboy Bebop Front today.

You were like this back then, too... You decided everything. And you were always right... When I was with you, I never had to do anything. All I had to do was hang on to your arm like a child, with no cares in the world. I wanted to decide how to live my life by myself. Even if that was a mistake... - Alisa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Cast in the name of God, Ye not guilty"

changed to

"Cast in the name of Good, Ye not guilty"

JETBLACK87 is offline Rip Van Winkle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    what was it used for?
    Join The Cowboy Bebop Front today.

You were like this back then, too... You decided everything. And you were always right... When I was with you, I never had to do anything. All I had to do was hang on to your arm like a child, with no cares in the world. I wanted to decide how to live my life by myself. Even if that was a mistake... - Alisa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The words flashed on the screen of the Big O (the robot itself) whenever it came on.

Feslmogh is offline WHAT THE...??
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a Christain and I like anime (though my sister loathes them) and one series that offends me is Sailor Moon. Aside from the bad acting and plot some of the stuff is astrilogial(sp) poo poo to me.

Pokemon? ehhhh..... it depends....

DBZ? This can go either way. One way that it uses Buddism and New Ageism in the show. But... Good always triumphs evil and Both Goku and Vegita sacrificed themself to save the world from destruction and the bad guys go to you-know-where (although they call it something else close). One thing... does Vegita goes to heaven when he destroyes Buu? I would like to think he does...

Yu Yu Hakishu - About the same way as DBZ
    Personal IMixes-Choose a number (requires iTunes)

Blue Priestess is offline Saving Earth by breaking stuff
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Can we get a round of applause for this man?

[pause]

Thank you.

Honestly, I've never been offended by any use of Christian imagery in anime. In fact, there was only one time I was sorta offended by any religious mention in anime, and it was this past season's Christmas episode on Simpsons. Somehow, the holiday celebrating the birth of the Christian savior does not feel like an appropriate time to (1) portray ALL Christians, not just wacko ones, as raging idiots and (2) let Richard Gere guest to pat himself on the pack for being a Buddhist, thus giving all normal Buddhists a black eye.

But that's another story. Anime, however, has been hunky-dory.

Mela (who has never seen EVA & probably never will, having sworn off anime)
    *Erin eSurance - for when you feel ashamed to be lusting after Kim Possible.
    *"Talent is having something inside your soul besides anger."--Wildman
    *"If you document it, it's not a bug -- it's a feature."--Blue Sky Rangers
    *"Ah, Kangas, the other, other white meat."--Dan DiDio

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast