Quantcast
    GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

New Robotech DVD Release to Include the Original SDF Macross

Like This Thread!
    A press release has been posted this evening announcing the start of a new DVD release called "Robotech: The Classic Collection" this Fall. Unlike the megaset releases of 2011 and 2013 it appears these discs are extra-free episode collections, with one other major distinction: the inclusion of The Super Dimension Fortress Macross, uncut in its original format for the first time in 5 - 6 years in the U.S. after ADV Films put it out on DVD from 2006 - 2008 before dissolving in 2009.

As you can see this is a four-disc release with two discs packing the first 18 episodes of Macross, and the other two containing the corresponding Robotech versions. The release comes through Lionsgate and is being sold exclusively on Amazon for $19.98 MSRP. It looks like this is an on-demand DVD-R product like stuff Warner Archive puts out, if you trust the brand new product listing right now (I notice it lists incomplete and inaccurate specs for the moment, like the single disc and the ridiculous detail that this is a region 2 release).

So for one thing, this raises the issue of what if anything this might mean for Macross in the future after years of no activity. As you might remember, the situation has been rather messy with the license. Given the past and the fact that classic Macross purportedly didn't do all that well on DVD before, I'd keep expectations in check. Still, it's a start, and very needed. A complete set of the ADV DVDs is nearly impossible to collect now.

Aside from that, this news is fresh and some questions linger for the moment: do the Macross discs include the Japanese audio with subtitles alone as it arguably appears, or have they managed to include ADV's dub of the original? There's the question of what video masters they are drawing upon - SDF Macross received a HD remaster and a Blu-ray release in Japan in 2012. The press release focuses on the first volume and singles out Macross, but will this also lead to the return of Superdimension Calvary Southern Cross and Genesis Climber Mospeada to DVD? Stay tuned.

The first "Classic Collection" release is dated for September 23.

I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I can finally watch Macross uncut? Its a miracle.

Now someone just needs to re-release Gundam, and mecha anime is set for the next few years.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think the inclusion of the ADV dub of Macross is ultimately going to be the deciding factor on if I double-dip on Robotech to get this.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 11/21 - BanzaiCon 2014 Report)

Also on Toon Radio every Thursday at 10pm EST!

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It does not appear that they are including the dub on this release.

Furthermore, its the "unremastered" Robotech for better or worse.

Furtherermore, this seems to fit in nicely with Harmony Gold being cashstrapped after the Berlusconi fracas. In which case, these people legitimately are crooks. Don't support them.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    Furthermore, its the "unremastered" Robotech for better or worse.

Furtherermore, this seems to fit in nicely with Harmony Gold being cashstrapped after the Berlusconi fracas.
    By unremastered are you referring to the HD remastered Macross footage (yeah, they'd never make the effort to recut that)? The old Robotech cut has probably been remastered from older footage twice if I have it straight - once with ADV's "Robotech Remastered" thing 10 years back and once when A&E did its release in 2011. The PR does say it "...includes the landmark television version exactly as it appeared in American broadcast syndication in 1985" but I'd think that just refers to content. This is followed by the bit about the original and uncut Macross eps.

For those who don't know the Berlusconi issue refers to this story from 2012 where executive producer Frank Argama was in legal trouble for supposedly being a middle man in tax fraud deals. However putting aside that this is a matter involving him alone & not HG as a whole, as I was brushing up on this I came across the fact that everyone involved was just recently acquitted of all charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    I can finally watch Macross uncut? Its a miracle.

Now someone just needs to re-release Gundam, and mecha anime is set for the next few years.
    We'll probably be waiting for awhile yet, though some Gundam is coming out in Australia via Madman Entertainment in October (the original, Zeta and 00). If we're lucky, this is a harbinger of things to come. They've been first with Cardcaptor Sakura and some other titles here and there too I think. Sooo, maybe. In the meantime, there's Discotek's upcoming rerelease of Superdimension Century Orguss in 2015 that you can support. Retro mecha, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post
    I think the inclusion of the ADV dub of Macross is ultimately going to be the deciding factor on if I double-dip on Robotech to get this.
    There's room for interpretation but as Dalek says, it's probably more unlikely than likely because of the 9-episodes-per-disc thing. Some worry about the quality in the event of 9 episodes + two audio tracks. Still worth checking on though. FWIW the Japanese track is enjoyable enough, and worth it on its own at the low price point.

Oh yeah: for the record A&E's release generally packed on 8 episodes per disc with 5.1 audio in English and Spanish. Presentation was A-OK there.

It'd be a shame if the ADV dub were lost to the ether forever, a nice job was done on that thing, Vic Mignogna as Hikaru, Mari Iijima as Minmay & and Monica Rial as Misa made for a good trio of leading roles. Wonder what it'd take to at least get it back on Hulu again.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

TnAdct1 is offline Silence, you dumb wench!!!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    Furtherermore, this seems to fit in nicely with Harmony Gold being cashstrapped after the Berlusconi fracas. In which case, these people legitimately are crooks. Don't support them.
    Not to mention the fact that their Kickstarter for "Robotech Academy" is likely not going to get the needed fund to finance it.

Yeah, I'll stick to the ADV version over what Harmony Gold has in mind.
    Joe Klemm
    Toon Addict for Life and "gated community" member since August, 2002.

"ph34r t3h cute ones" -Megatokyo

GingaDaiuchuu is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Huh, a way to own the actual Macross series, huh? That's an appealing proposition, as much as I'd rather not be buying a release that's primarily Robotech, and as shoddy as this release seems. But I can't imagine there will be another way to get Macross itself, so I suppose I'll have to go for it.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
    Not to mention the fact that their Kickstarter for "Robotech Academy" is likely not going to get the needed fund to finance it.
    When you're asking for haters to give a dollar so they can have unimpeded insulting of the project, then your desperation reeks.