Quantcast
Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 266667686970717273747576
    Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkolas View Post
    1. Man the episodes with Heartland's 3 underlings were pretty weak. It wasn't helped by the overload of puns either. The dub hasn't done that at all for most of the show except in teh case of Cathy but they wouldn't shut up about bug and jellyfish puns in those three dumb duels.

Now I think on it, while the Heartland goon trio episodes kinda sucked in terms of the duels they were very good at showing Yuma's grief at losing Astral. I think the dub VA did a good job there and of course the writing was good too with the little things like Yuma reflexively going to say something to Astral only to remember he's not there.
    I never liked the goons themselves, or Heartland for that matter, but showcasing Yuma's grief over Astral was pretty effective. I'm still not a fan of Yuma's dub voice, but he does have some good moments during the later parts of the series. Yuma starting to talk to Astral only to remember that he wasn't there was a nice little moment since that is a natural part of grief. Stuff like that and Yuma subconsciously looking for Astral by revisiting the places where they dueled added some really nice emotional moments for this subplot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkolas
    2. Where did Yuma get Dyson Sphere from? Kite beat Quinton and had it last I checked and Yuma never got any of Kite's Numbers that I can recall....
    I believe that Vetrix got all of Kite's Numbers, which Yuma either got from defeating Vetrix or when he defeated Dr. Faker.

3. But yeah, those last few episodes were really weak but things are awesome again. Got both Yuma in Astral World and Shark's past. Seems like Astral World isn't quite the perfect, holy place it's kinda been built up as. I wonder if they're going with a Yin-Yang kinda thing. Astral World and Barian World need each other but they both are trying to purge themselves of their other half. Astral World did this quite literally by expelling all the Chaos Energy.

4. I like this guardian guy Yuma is dueling. He can do the same BS Shining Draw thing that Yuma can which is neat. That whole duel was really great in fact, a lot of good atmosphere and intensity.
    I thought that it was a good decision to have Yuma become more involve with the Astral World to rescue Astral while Shark was getting further involved with the Barian World by reliving his memories. It kind of shows where both characters are going and it's pretty effective in that regard. Astral World wanting to rank up higher without Chaos energy, which I always thought of primarily emotions, did kind of make sense given what we saw of Astral before he became more attached to Yuma. There were a few exchanges between Yuma and Eliphas that weren't included in the dub that I thought were good, but the duel itself was still pretty intense. I don't like Utopia getting so many upgrades, but ranking it down to make Utopia Roots does at least work in a symbolic way. Yuma wanted to prove that you don't have to rank up to improve and he basically did that through the duel.

5. Wait, I'm confused at something. When did Yuma's father put all those coins at the ruins? Wouldn't he only have learned of them after going to Astral World and wasn't he stuck thee due to Dr. Faker?
    I forget if there was an explanation for that in either version. Yuma's father has been able to leave messages for him before about the Mythyrian Numbers and when Astral was about to be destroyed in Astral World, so it's possible that he still could have left those coins at the ruins somehow in spite of being in the Astral World if he was able to do all of that.

6. Anyway, Yuma and Astral's reunion was appropriately touching. But while that feel-good moment is going on Shark's character development as solidified him as an antagonist. It was really well done too IMO. So did all the Barian Emperors get there from dying in that battle? But yes, using your devotion to others, to not wanting to abandon those who believed in you and died for you, is one of the best justifications in any fiction for being a villain. I don't think Shark will do anything outright villainous but who knows. While he and Dumon and his followers are being misguided, Vector and Don Thousand are there being just pure evil so I'm sure something will cause them to clash.

So yes, things are damn interesting right now. I think Shark might come out of ZEXAL as hands down my favorite character.
    Yuma and Astral's reunion was quite touching. I still think that Shark's subplot is overall stronger, but they were able to handle Yuma's subplot of losing and then getting Astral back much better than I initially thought they would. He actually has to deal with the loss for multiple episodes and then has to work to get him back. It wasn't just a deus ex machina that resolved the problem quickly and easily this time around and that made it a much better storyline in the end.

Contrasting that happy little moment with Shark realizing that he is a Barian and that his life as he knew it was pretty much a lie was also a good choice. It kind of helped to make Shark's story feel more tragic when we have a happy moment for another character in the same episode. Plus, learning the truth made him feel pretty conflicted. He still sees Yuma, Astral and Kite as his friends, but he has memories of people he knew in his past life that he cared about as well and his entire army died helping him to fight against Vector. Having to choose one over the other does have a big effect on his character and how he deals with it in the future. It's handled really well and it's easily my favorite storyline in Zexal. I genuinely love Shark's storyline here and if all of Zexal had that amount of quality to it, I would have enjoyed the series a lot more than I did. The only problems I really had with it was that Iris, the little girl who looked like Rio, was added in for no other reason but to make it more sad for Shark that he couldn't save anyone, even though losing his sister and army of followers should have been enough, so she could have been cut out easily.

As for the other Barian Emperors, they didn't die as a result of that battle. Dumon even survived to go back to his kingdom before he was killed by his fellow knights, but they do make it sound like the Nasch's army are Barians, even though we rarely see them from this point forward.

I think of GX as an inherently absurd show but that doesn't mean it can't have serious moments. For example, everything with Zane's "fall" in Season 2 is treated with a gritty seriousness. It's legit heartbreaking and sad to see him disgraced and then horrifying to see what he becomes.

But those serious moments were islands in a sea of comedy. For every serious moment you had dueling monkeys or tarzans or a guy who sold his soul to the Grim Reaper to be better at card games. I enjoy the more grounded elements of GX's plot but I don't think the writers ever wrote it with the intention of being a straight work. I view a lot of it as satire to be frank.
    I wouldn't say that Zane's fall in season two was treated with gritty seriousness, mainly because I don't think gritty is the best term to use, but I do agree that it was sad and horrifying to see what he become. He never quite fully recovers from what happens to him in season two either, which does make it a bit more tragic. Even by season four, where he's alive somehow, he still has a heart condition from those underground duels and probably has a long road to recover before he can duel more often again. Not to mention he still isn't the same person he was from season one either. I disagree that those were serious islands in a sea of comedy. There were silly ideas like the ones that you mentioned, but I don't think that was almost the entire show season three. Most of the really silly comedy episodes were in season one and there were fewer ridiculous moments in season two by comparison. There were still plenty of serious moments in both of those seasons that weren't just islands in a sea of comedy. I'm not saying that there weren't ridiculously stupid comedy episodes/moments in the series. There clearly were and I wasn't a fan of those particular moments either, as most of them felt too stupid to me most of the time, but I don't think it was so overwhelming that it made it difficult to me to take the show or characters seriously. I think that came up more in Zexal with Yuma's bee costume and that whole tomato duel back in the WDC arc.

I also honestly don't see what is so absurd about GX. Maybe I'm just so used absurd concepts in this franchise after watching these shows for so long, but if you can take stuff in Zexal seriously, then I don't see much of a probelm with GX. With the exception of something like Dino DNA, most of the comedy came from filler episodes, although the dub did add in a lot of dialgoue to make it more comical when it wasn't supposed to be. I remember having more of a problem with GX after it first started because I was still not over DM ending, but after some time passed and I rewatched the season one episodes, it seemed pretty good to me on its own. I don't see it much of satire, but I think having a parody dub would be a more accurate term to describe it. It is a different, and in my opinion better, experience watching the original version of GX. I don't think it's as drastically different as the DM dub from its original version, but it's still not the same show either.

For me:
    DM and 5D's are "straight" series.
    GX and ZEXAL are comedy series.
    That doesn't mean DM and 5D's can't be funny just like it doesn't mean GX and ZEXAL can't be serious.
    I don't know if I'd label Zexal as a comedy series either. I think that it was trying to be more comical in the first few arcs compared to GX, especially with treating Yuma as a joke and an idiot at pretty much any time they got a chance, but I'd hesitate to call it a comedy series. For a series to be a comedy, I think that providing humor whenever they can would be more of a priority. That's not to say that a comedy can't be serious or vice versa as I do agree with that part of your point, but for Zexal in particular, they do tone down the comedy as the series progresses, rather than keeping it up throughout the run, so I don't think I would say that it's a comedy. More light-hearted than the previous three series sounds more accurate to me.

Nikkolas is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, I forgot that Vetrix beat Kite and then Yuma beat Vetrix. That makes sense about whee he got Dyson Sphere then, thanks.

So I haven't really covered this yet but the new OP is very catchy. It helps the singing is better than the first one but I still prefer the first one I think.

And on the note of the actual dub soundtrack, I think it might be the best one since DM. DM's dub OST was legitimately fantastic and ZEXAL is the only one since DM that has had in-show music I really liked. Unless you count Sartorius' theme in GX but that was only one song. I kinda wish ZEXAL's composer was around to upload all the tracks like the DM composer did.

So Quattro and Shark are "friends" now? When did that happen? Honestly I felt a lot of these duels were forced...just lambs for the slaughter. You know, that "slaughter" that is going to be reversed just like it was in GX and 5D's.

But regardless of my feelings on Quattro wanting to save Shark's soul for...some reason, possibly as an act of atonement or whatever for what he did to Rio, the duel between these two was fantastic. A lot of good, raw emotion in it and I did like that Quattro gave up on the whole saving Shark thing when he saw all the others die.

Also I have discovered the best Number Card. It's Chaos Number 88, Gimmick Puppet Disaster Leo.

Special Ability: 1 Overlay Unit to directly deal 4000 Damage.
    Special Ability 2: Once out of Overlay Units, Quattro automatically wins.

So did Don Thousand appear before all the Emperors and screw with their memories? Just got done with Alito's duel and that was his origin as a Barian. Maybe I'll see flashbacks for the others too.

And now Vector has already openly turned on the others and they are dueling him. Kinda sucks the Barian Invasion didn't come to much.... It was like "we're here now. We killed your friends! Aren't we bad? Bye now." I would have liked more time with bad guy Shark and Rio but Vector and Don Thousand are already center stage again.

DonkeyKongSong is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    FYI: In the real game, the effect only takes off 1000 LP, not 4000. Also, the Automatic Win Condition only applies if the opponent has 2000 LP or less.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, I forgot that Vetrix beat Kite and then Yuma beat Vetrix. That makes sense about whee he got Dyson Sphere then, thanks.

So I haven't really covered this yet but the new OP is very catchy. It helps the singing is better than the first one but I still prefer the first one I think.
    You're welcome. I actually prefer the second opening over the first one. It has better singing and a better beat, even though the lyrics are still pretty generic. I like the instrumental version of the first dub opening though.

And on the note of the actual dub soundtrack, I think it might be the best one since DM. DM's dub OST was legitimately fantastic and ZEXAL is the only one since DM that has had in-show music I really liked. Unless you count Sartorius' theme in GX but that was only one song. I kinda wish ZEXAL's composer was around to upload all the tracks like the DM composer did.
    There are some nice tracks from the dub soundtrack, although I don't know if I like it that much either. I liked most of the GX soundtrack, even if that did mainly contain guitar riffs.

So Quattro and Shark are "friends" now? When did that happen? Honestly I felt a lot of these duels were forced...just lambs for the slaughter. You know, that "slaughter" that is going to be reversed just like it was in GX and 5D's.
    Yeah, I always thought that the whole Shark and Quattro being friends was really forced and stupid in both versions. They only had one kind of positive interaction during their tag duel and never interacted afterwards until this duel. At best, they could be considered rivals on good terms with each other, but I don't think that Shark would really consider Quattro to be his friend. Even though he's basically thrown his humanity away and accepted that he is Nasch, I don't think he could completely forgive Quattro for what he did to his sister. While they did change it later to make Quattro more of a victim, he was still responsible for putting Rio in the hospital for about a year, framed Shark for cheating ,even though I still don't understand how seeing one card in your opponent's deck after it just fell on the floor could be considered cheating, and would laugh at Shark's pain whenever he brought up what happened in the past. I wouldn't blame Nasch in the slightest for not forgiving Quattro completely after all of that, even with his attempts to atone for his actions in mind.

As for the other duels with the other Emperors, I think that they mainly were trying to get the audience to feel sad over all of these characters dying, but that didn't work in the slightest for me since I didn't care for most of the characters that died. The only one that I kind of liked was Nistro, but even then I didn't feel that bad for his death. I also have no idea why Anna and the Sparrow showed up. Neither one of them knew about the Barians, or Astral's existence for that matter, and the Sparrow hadn't shown up for like eighty episodes. Not to mention Anna is still loud and annoying, so I'd wouldn't be sad for her death. At least wit the teacher and his student, they found one of the Number cards, so that's a bit better justification for them to duel, even though I didn't care about them either. Bronk vs. Marin could have had some emotional impact due to Bronk's obvious crush on her, but their relationship didn't get any focus after her duel with Shark, so that didn't work. The dub adding in that line about how Bronk was hungry right before he died was also pretty stupid.

While Zexal does have a better buildup to getting a darker tone, I think that the deaths in GX were more emotionally effective. Most of the characters had more fleshed out personalities that helped made them more interesting and likable, so their deaths had emotional impact, at least for me. There are few characters in Zexal that I like by comparison and I realy couldn't care less about most of the characters that died trying to buy Yuma and the others time to escape. There are only a few deaths in this arc that I think are handled well enough, although I think only one death is done well for the dub.

But regardless of my feelings on Quattro wanting to save Shark's soul for...some reason, possibly as an act of atonement or whatever for what he did to Rio, the duel between these two was fantastic. A lot of good, raw emotion in it and I did like that Quattro gave up on the whole saving Shark thing when he saw all the others die.

Also I have discovered the best Number Card. It's Chaos Number 88, Gimmick Puppet Disaster Leo.

Special Ability: 1 Overlay Unit to directly deal 4000 Damage.
    Special Ability 2: Once out of Overlay Units, Quattro automatically wins.
    The duel between Nasch and Quattro was still good. While the effects of Gimmick Puppet Disaster Leo are different in the real game, I mainly liked it for its cool design. I do think that the dub handled Quattro's death poorly with editing out his last conversation with Nasch and adding in that line that made Nasch look more like a villain than he actually is. While I still don't buy that he was ever friends with Quattro, despite how the show keeps saying that he is, I do think that launching this attack and basically killling Quattro does affect him emotionally and psychologically, which we see more during his last conversation with Quattro.

So did Don Thousand appear before all the Emperors and screw with their memories? Just got done with Alito's duel and that was his origin as a Barian. Maybe I'll see flashbacks for the others too.

And now Vector has already openly turned on the others and they are dueling him. Kinda sucks the Barian Invasion didn't come to much.... It was like "we're here now. We killed your friends! Aren't we bad? Bye now." I would have liked more time with bad guy Shark and Rio but Vector and Don Thousand are already center stage again.
    They should get to the origins of pretty much all of the Barian Emperors later on. We'll still get to see more of Nasch and a bit of Marin, so they aren't going to go away completely. Vector taking center stage with Don Thousand does make sense given that they're at the end game phase of the series.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is the one dub death you found well done a spoiler?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Is the one dub death you found well done a spoiler?
    It definitely is. I don't want to spoil it for you because it's a really good moment. You'll be able to get there pretty soon given how surprisingly fast you've been with watching the series. It would have taken me a lot longer to get to this point if I was behind in watching the dub episodes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    With Zexal, the best way I could describe the series is that it started out pretty bad, but got better after awhile. The writing in the first-half was definitely not good, but the second-half was an improvement, even though the Seven Barian Emperors Arc was a bit rushed. Also, Yuma was pretty bad and stupid in the first-half where he becomes embarrassing. Characters such as The Numbers Club were just unnecessary and were only added just for nothing. Some episodes were also terrible and made no sense such as The Friendship Games.

At the bright side, at least Yuma became tolerable later on and Ryoga's subplot was well done. In a way, Zexal was alright.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I still liked Zexal I... But I guess I'll get into that when I finish the series and reflect on it as a whole.

Also i forgot to ask, was the "Point System" Vector talked about during his duel with Dumon and Rio in the original? You know how he basically explained his reasoning for betraying Nasch as "every time he did something that annoyed me, he got one point. I decided I'd do something about him after a million points. Who'd have thought he would have 2 million points by the next day?"

Even if that isn't in the original, I love it. Vector is a true rival to Yami Marik in just how frickin' nuts he is.

And did Alito just do Naruto Ninja Handsigns during his duel with Girag while using his Raccoon Number?

Man...I wasn't too broken over Dumon, although I did like him, but the next episode was just a one-two-three punch with Alito and then Rio and then Girag. I never even cared much for Girag but on top of Alito and Rio it really hit me. Just a really sad episodes all around.

So Vector was the legendary figure who hailed from the ruins where Astral dueled Number 96? The one who built all the torture devices and supposedly killed everyone in his kingdom? I guess that makes sense, that was the one legendary story we hadn't yet had explained, but I forgot all about it until now.

So Shark vs. Vector. Best duel in the series I think. I honestly did think Vector's hero moment was genuine and that would be the end of it. But nope! There was just so much emotion packed into the duel and the finish was fantastic.

But Jesus Light, you weren't joking about the big, big numbers. 204,000 Attack Points? Man that was awesome!

And while the showdown with Don Thousand (that is an awesome villain name by the way. I also liked his new look, mainly for the color scheme) had that big epic vibe to it, the final two duels had more heart and feeling packed into them. I loved every part of Yuma vs. Shark, especially the ending. Was that the death you feel teh dub handled best, Lucario? Because I thought it was absolutely perfect.

I saw Yuma vs. Astral coming a mile away because it was a symbol of Yuma's growth. Now I went back a few pages and saw you understood that but kinda disagreed with it because you felt Yuma's growth was inconsistent. Also because Astral was a sort of static character. I see both those points but I do disagree with them because in the end the duel wasn't just about showing that Yuma can survive on his own, it was also about helping him rediscover the fun of dueling. From what I hear, that was something that happened with Jaden at the end of GX Season 4 too. Who would have thunk several duels that involved carnage, death and misery would make people take them more seriously.... [/sarcasm]

I thought the ending was absolutely perfect though. Perhaps it was so happy that it bordered on cheesy but who cares. This is Yugioh, I don't mind some cheese. Seeing everyone together again was incredibly obvious but I just liked hearing the old dub opening theme again and everyone flying together to help Astral. I honestly think the best part of that was Vector appearing. "The Ray Way" is back. And I think the reason Tori confessed her feelings is probably fan demand. I know a lot of people online hate her guts but I doubt she is really that unpopular, especially in Japan. Leaving her crush on him obvious but unspoken would just piss a lot of people off. After all, didn't isn't that what happened in both GX and 5D's? I know Alexis at least was gonna tell Jaden how she felt but then ducked out and that was the end of that little subplot. It made a lot of people mad from what I know.

While it's true Yuma doesn't do anything different, maybe that is the best reaction. Her being in love with him shouldn't change their relationship at all. Besides, I liked the fact Yuma seemed okay with it and returned her feelings. It marks him as the first YGO protagonist since Yugi to realize girls are....girls.

So those are my thoughts on the ending. I'll take some tie and gather my thoughts on the whole series.
    Last edited by Nikkolas; 03-02-2015 at 10:47 AM.

DonkeyKongSong is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    In the Japanese version, Tori just said she liked Yuma's smile, rather than a blatant confession like that.

And from what I heard, the "point system" was actually there in the original, though with a different number.

And yes, 204000 ATK breaks the record for ATK points. Chimera Clad-powered Utopia Ray V swiped the record from Zane's Cyber End Dragon (36900 to 83200) but this has completely wiped the floor with that.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I still liked Zexal I... But I guess I'll get into that when I finish the series and reflect on it as a whole.

Also i forgot to ask, was the "Point System" Vector talked about during his duel with Dumon and Rio in the original? You know how he basically explained his reasoning for betraying Nasch as "every time he did something that annoyed me, he got one point. I decided I'd do something about him after a million points. Who'd have thought he would have 2 million points by the next day?"

Even if that isn't in the original, I love it. Vector is a true rival to Yami Marik in just how frickin' nuts he is.
    I believe that was in the original, but maybe with slightly different numbers. Even if that wasn't the case, it wouldn't have been much of a problem because that does fit with Vector's character completely. He would get that upset over Nasch to the point where he'd just want to kill him and Marin. Plus, it was hilarious.

And did Alito just do Naruto Ninja Handsigns during his duel with Girag while using his Raccoon Number?

Man...I wasn't too broken over Dumon, although I did like him, but the next episode was just a one-two-three punch with Alito and then Rio and then Girag. I never even cared much for Girag but on top of Alito and Rio it really hit me. Just a really sad episodes all around.
    None of those deaths really worked for me. I didn't care much about Dumon or Girag. I felt like Alito's death could have been avoidable. While there was a friendship between him and Girag, that friendship hadn't been focused on in ages. Admittedly, I don't think that they could have done to change that since they were in a coma and under Don Thousand's influence for awhile, but it still felt like they could have avoided that if Yuma dueled Girag instead. Marin was just wasted potential and pretty disappointing all around. I wish she could have had some kind of storyline centered on her dealing with her accepting that she's a Barian like what Nasch had. She learns about her past life off-screen and then follows her brother without having much problems about it. It would have been really nice if she was the opposite of her brother and didn't want to throw away her humanity, but felt obligated to follow him as sister. Crying after defeating Bronk could have hinted at her guilt for what she did, but they never really followed up on that. Plus, the dub did edit out her farewell to Nasch for some reason.

It also didn't help that they killed off four major characters within two episodes. It just felt like they were trying to make the situation sad with the number of deaths, rather than making the deaths themselves leave more of an emotional impact. That's why I preferred how Kite's death was handled, at least in the original version. He had the main focus, instead of sharing it with multiple other characters, and they treated it as emotional and serious. Even though I didn't like his character, they did do a better job with his death than I thought they would. I don't think that it has the same impact on the dub due to how they had to edit around it, which is understandable given that they couldn't just say that he was dead then, especially when he doesn't just disappear into energy like everyone else. It just weakens some of the emotional impact the scene had in my opinion.

So Vector was the legendary figure who hailed from the ruins where Astral dueled Number 96? The one who built all the torture devices and supposedly killed everyone in his kingdom? I guess that makes sense, that was the one legendary story we hadn't yet had explained, but I forgot all about it until now.

So Shark vs. Vector. Best duel in the series I think. I honestly did think Vector's hero moment was genuine and that would be the end of it. But nope! There was just so much emotion packed into the duel and the finish was fantastic.
    While I could tell that Vector was faking it during that moment, he was really selling it and I could see why you'd think it was genuine. That would have been one way to redeem Vector. The duel itself was pretty intense too.

But Jesus Light, you weren't joking about the big, big numbers. 204,000 Attack Points? Man that was awesome!

And while the showdown with Don Thousand (that is an awesome villain name by the way. I also liked his new look, mainly for the color scheme) had that big epic vibe to it, the final two duels had more heart and feeling packed into them. I loved every part of Yuma vs. Shark, especially the ending. Was that the death you feel teh dub handled best, Lucario? Because I thought it was absolutely perfect.
    I thought that Don Thousand's cards were more ridiculously broken to the point of absurdity than awesome. I understand that they needed to make the last big villain more intimidating and give the heroes more challenges to overcome in the duel, but when each card is more broken than the last and his cards basically justify cheating, it just becomes more silly than anything else. I forgot how broken and boring Don Thousand was until I watched the dub version of this duel. It was pretty cool to see Yuma and Nasch team up together though.

Yuma vs. Nasch was a much better duel thankfully enough. It was intense, had some really nice moments like Nasch avoiding to use those overlay units because they represent his fellow Emperors, telling Yuma that he still recognizes him as a friend while he still values the people from his past life as well and Yuma realizing that by beating Nasch, he would be losing who he is, and it had an emotional ending. And yes, Nasch's death was the one death I think that the dub handled well. They didn't add any jokes to lighten the mood or make any jarring/obvious edits. They kept the scene pretty much in-tact and that made the experience much better in my opinion. It was a sad, yet fitting end to Nasch's storyline. He didn't have to deal with the emotional and psychological damage that came from realizing that his life as Shark was a lie and fighting against his friends anymore. He could be at peace. A part of me would have been kind of okay if he did stay dead in that sense, especially when the farewell scene was pretty much perfect emotionally speaking wise, but getting a happier ending works too since he's my favorite character in the series.

I saw Yuma vs. Astral coming a mile away because it was a symbol of Yuma's growth. Now I went back a few pages and saw you understood that but kinda disagreed with it because you felt Yuma's growth was inconsistent. Also because Astral was a sort of static character. I see both those points but I do disagree with them because in the end the duel wasn't just about showing that Yuma can survive on his own, it was also about helping him rediscover the fun of dueling. From what I hear, that was something that happened with Jaden at the end of GX Season 4 too. Who would have thunk several duels that involved carnage, death and misery would make people take them more seriously.... [/sarcasm]
    That was a main part of the duel too. Astral wanted to help Yuma rediscover the fun of dueling, which Jaden also needed to learn in season four of GX, and show that he was ready for facing a future without him. There are some nice moments during that duel. I like the symbolic aspects like with Yuma getting Utopic Future and having to destroy the Door in order to win the duel. Those were nice touches to help make it mre interesting. I still don't think it works completely well in showcasing Yuma's growth, but I don't blame that on this duel itself for that. That's more of a problem I had with the series in general, which just reflects a bit more in this duel due to how they were trying to sell how much better Yuma has become. He is better because he doesn't make really stupid moves anymore, but it wasn't a natural steady progress either. The farewell between Yuma and Astral was quite touching though.

I thought the ending was absolutely perfect though. Perhaps it was so happy that it bordered on cheesy but who cares. This is Yugioh, I don't mind some cheese. Seeing everyone together again was incredibly obvious but I just liked hearing the old dub opening theme again and everyone flying together to help Astral. I honestly think the best part of that was Vector appearing. "The Ray Way" is back. And I think the reason Tori confessed her feelings is probably fan demand. I know a lot of people online hate her guts but I doubt she is really that unpopular, especially in Japan. Leaving her crush on him obvious but unspoken would just piss a lot of people off. After all, didn't isn't that what happened in both GX and 5D's? I know Alexis at least was gonna tell Jaden how she felt but then ducked out and that was the end of that little subplot. It made a lot of people mad from what I know.

While it's true Yuma doesn't do anything different, maybe that is the best reaction. Her being in love with him shouldn't change their relationship at all. Besides, I liked the fact Yuma seemed okay with it and returned her feelings. It marks him as the first YGO protagonist since Yugi to realize girls are....girls.

So those are my thoughts on the ending. I'll take some tie and gather my thoughts on the whole series.
    I liked the happy ending. It does fit with the tone of the series that they'd give pretty much everyone a happy ending and for most of the characters, it does kind of work. The way they inserted the Ray Way catchphrase again was kind of funny. Plus, everyone wanting to go help Astral after he helped them worked and I didn't figure that Yuma and Astral would be separated for good. They were too dependent on each other for that to happen and I didn't think that they'd end the series on a sad or bittersweet note after everything they had gone through in the last couple of arcs.

Like DonkeyKongSong mentioned, Tori said that she loves Yuma's smile in the original version, but that was just a more subtle way to admit her feelings compared to how the dub handled it. Admittedly, I don't know how popular she is in Japan, although she is in every singe episode of the series for some reason, but I also don't think it woud have bothered fans if she didn't admit her feelings in anyway. I remember people being upset when Alexis and Aki didn't admit their feelings for Jaden and Yusei respectively, but that was because there were people who liked those pairings. While I've seen a few people who like Tori, I have yet to see someone who actively likes the YumaxTori pairing and wanted them to be together. I'm sure that there are people who do like that pairing, but I don't know if Tori not saying anything about her feelings would have been such an issue. One could argue that it isn't clear if Yuma he accepted Tori's feelings. He was embarrassed after hearing it, but he goes back to being focused on Astral right after Tori holds onto his had tighter. Personally, I wouldn't have mind this moment if it felt warranted. While it was obvious that Tori had a crush on Yuma from day one, their relationship hadn't really changed during the course of the series. Yuma never treated Tori like she could be anything else but a friend to him and Tori was still his shadow cheerleader. If there was some kind of buildup to that reveal or that their relationship had changed significantly over the course of the series, I could have taken it as a cute little moment. As it is, it just felt like an unnecessary way to give Tori's fans a bone, much like having Anna in Yuma's school for some reason despite being completely unnecessary to the overall storyline.

Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 266667686970717273747576