Quantcast
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
    Tohya is online now deficit omne quod nasciture
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I'll be completely honest here. I like Crystal more than the original series at this point. I'm not saying that the original anime is horrible either. I like it, it has some strengths over Crystal, such as giving a bit more focus to the Inner Guardians, and I can see why it's still pretty beloved after all these years. But when it's bad, it's really bad.
    Its funny because I watched episode 44 of the original series after I watched this one and its ridiculous how different the shows are. Were talking about two completely different shows at this point. We might as well compare Crystal to PGSM as well. The lack of focus on the senshi also doesn't seem very flawish to me. In a 13 episode series, each senshi got its own episode. The fact that its taken six months to show 13 episodes is probably why it feels like the focus is nonexistent.

Anyways, I'm with you on this one. I actually prefer this series to the original. I don't really have a trained eye (or ear) so the technical flaws are pretty easy to overlook. Animation and translation have never really been deciding factors for just watching a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    The confrontation with the Shiten-ou isn’t a confrontation at all!
    Yeah but the way Queen Metalia executed them more than made up for it.

Usagi’s fighting spirit constantly flip-flops
    What exactly does that even mean?

and the chain of events followed throughout the episode have no sense of weight or urgency
    Obviously very subjective but still, whats the % of animes out there that do this on a consistent basis? I mean, lets remember that this a Shōjo anime and not only are you outside the targeted age, but you're not even in the targeted gender. That in no way is suppose to disparage anything you're saying but it's one thing to overanalyze the technical aspects of a show but its another for a 24 year old male to pick apart a show meant for teenage girls. Its cool to point out a shows flaws heck its even fun. I certainly have a blast doing it with Lucario in the Sailor Moon thread but to just treat a talkback as your personal blog and take a dump on the show ever week is definitely no fun at all. Its not surprising that this talkback is dead and you're the only one commenting on it. You doing nothing to promote conversation. It might seem like I'm mad that you don't have kind things to say for a lackluster show but thats not the case. I just find it confounding for a person to consistently watch/review something they hate.
    Last edited by Tohya; 12-22-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    "If that's what it means to be wise, I guess that means I'll be fool all my life" - Naruto, after Jiraiya has told him to wise up and give up on his friend.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tohya View Post
    Its funny because I watched episode 44 of the original series after I watched this one and its ridiculous how different the shows are. Were talking about two completely different shows at this point. We might as well compare Crystal to PGSM as well. The lack of focus on the senshi also doesn't seem very flawish to me. In a 13 episode series, each senshi got its own episode. The fact that its taken six months to show 13 episodes is probably why it feels like the focus is nonexistent.
    That's certainly true. Given how the original series had to become its own series with just using the manga as an outline and Crystal is a more faithful adaptation of the manga, it makes sense that the two are completely different shows. The length of time it took to show those episodes might be one reason why it doesn't feel like the Inner Guardians have received more focus. It might also be how I remember that the Inner Guardians didn't really have a lot of focus in the manga version of the arc. The bulk of the focus goes to Usagi and Mamoru, which does make sense given the situation. Some of them got better moments during the Black Moon arc if I recall correctly, so that might help when they cover that arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohya
    Anyways, I'm with you on this one. I actually prefer this series to the original. I don't really have a trained eye (or ear) so the technical flaws are pretty easy to overlook. Animation and translation have never really been deciding factors for just watching a show.
    I usually don't notice technical issues unless they're really bad, like in episode three. I can understand people having a problem with the animation at times, but I don't think that would be a deciding factor for me either, even if I did notice it more than I do.

Uchiha Sarada is offline Muffler Maiden
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah but the way Queen Metalia executed them more than made up for it.
    It was a brief, sudden strike from out of nowhere that capped off an off-screen confrontation between characters that have been built up since the beginning of the series. The force of the attack was non-existent. The characters were neither shown to be in exceptional pain nor did the blast so menacing that these characters would convincingly fall to it.

Also, why should we care that they died? No aspect of the storytelling endeared the characters in any manner.

What exactly does that even mean?
    It means one minute Usagi was crying, the next she was resolved, then he was crying again. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. Then out of nowhere she tries to kill Mamoru--at least I think she did, given that slash didn't look deathly at all--and then kill herself. Her irrationality doesn't extend from circumstances within the story but from outside, with the script.

Obviously very subjective but still, whats the % of animes out there that do this on a consistent basis?
    The ones that try to be good, typically. This series isn't exactly being aimed at a wide market. It's the exactly opposite of being aimed at a wide market, in fact.

I mean, lets remember that this a Shōjo anime and not only are you outside the targeted age, but you're not even in the targeted gender.
    Women are not irrational and tasteless by nature of being women, so I'm going to have to call "It's for women!" a nonsensical answer.

Also, this cartoon isn't being aimed at kids. If it were it would be on television in the morning or midday. This is a cartoon for grown women who grew up on the original. It also just so happens to be a shoddily put together piece of trash.

That in no way is suppose to disparage anything you're saying but it's one thing to overanalyze the technical aspects of a show but its another for a 24 year old male to pick apart a show meant for teenage girls. Its cool to point out a shows flaws heck its even fun. I certainly have a blast doing it with Lucario in the Sailor Moon thread but to just treat a talkback as your personal blog and take a dump on the show ever week is definitely no fun at all. Its not surprising that this talkback is dead and you're the only one commenting on it. You doing nothing to promote conversation. It might seem like I'm mad that you don't have kind things to say for a lackluster show but thats not the case. I just find it confounding for a person to consistently watch/review something they hate.
    The 'technical aspects' are simply another layer of storytelling. Storytelling doesn't stop at the script, movies like Airplane! are fantastic examples of this. Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal just so happens to be a hodgepodge of bad judgment, horrible oversight, and equally bad storytelling.

I do drop titles, by the way. G-Reco, Haikyuu, Dragon Ball Kai, and Space Dandy are all titles which I've dropped in the past year part-way through due to being not very enjoyable in the least. I kept going with this series in the vain hope it would improve, especially given it has to produce but two episodes a month and has the occasional involvement from people with actual talent. Unfortunately I just so happen to have been wrong until now. Episode #13 is supposed to be the climax of this first arc from what I understand, so I figured if I wanted to at least have some semblance of a credible opinion I could at least finish the final episode of the arc.

I highly suspect it will be horribly unfulfilling, but hey, that's life, so I'll just turn the page afterward.
    Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop Poop

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It was a brief, sudden strike from out of nowhere that capped off an off-screen confrontation between characters that have been built up since the beginning of the series. The force of the attack was non-existent. The characters were neither shown to be in exceptional pain nor did the blast so menacing that these characters would convincingly fall to it.
    Also, why should we care that they died? No aspect of the storytelling endeared the characters in any manner.
    The generals have been fighting the senshi since episode three, in a constant back and forth. Id hardly call their final confortation something the show has been building up to, especially considering that all of us [im sure]figured the senshi were more interested in helping them than in fighting them. And you're right. The show hasn't given us a reason to give even an ounce of crap about any of them so why wouldnt a swift execution be the preferable choice here? It was cold blooded and surprised the hell out of me. I mean I wont argue with your preferences but the scene worked for some, it didnt work for others. C'est la vie.

It means one minute Usagi was crying, the next she was resolved, then she was crying again. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. Then out of nowhere she tries to kill Mamoru--at least I think she did, given that slash didn't look deathly at all--and then kill herself. Her irrationality doesn't extend from circumstances within the story but from outside, with the script.
    I figured thats what you meant. I just had to make sure a vetern anime watcher was complaining about a staple trait possesed in almost every hero/heroine (the trait being "flip-flopping" personalities). See this whole paragraph is the reason why it makes no sense to watch something you hate. Because it really reads like you're just whining/hating because "reasons". I thought the scene was rather emotional. To have Usagi kill Mamoru, I rather liked that surprise.

The ones that try to be good, typically.
    Difference between trying and actually doing it successfully.

Women are not irrational and tasteless by nature of being women, so I'm going to have to call "It's for women!" a nonsensical answer.

Also, this cartoon isn't being aimed at kids. If it were it would be on television in the morning or midday. This is a cartoon for grown women who grew up on the original. It also just so happens to be a shoddily put together piece of trash.
    I didnt say its for women. I said its aimed at teenage girls. And regardless, SMC needs to be treated as an anime that was made for those "grown women" who grew up on the original. How many of them do you think care about any of the criticisms being laid out by you? None if any? Im not saying anyone does, I just want to put it in perspective. Hey bro, you're taking a dump on a show that was never meant for you. Thats the standard that should be worked with when reviewing the show, dont you think?
    "If that's what it means to be wise, I guess that means I'll be fool all my life" - Naruto, after Jiraiya has told him to wise up and give up on his friend.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    The generals have been fighting the senshi since episode three, in a constant back and forth. Id hardly call their final confortation something the show has been building up to, especially considering that all of us [im sure]figured the senshi were more interested in helping them than in fighting them. And you're right. The show hasn't given us a reason to give even an ounce of crap about any of them so why wouldnt a swift execution be the preferable choice here? It was cold blooded and surprised the hell out of me. I mean I wont argue with your preferences but the scene worked for some, it didnt work for others. C'est la vie.
    I thought that it kind of worked too in a sense. It was sudden and surprising attack, but it was more fitting for them to be killed off that way than lingering on their deaths. I kind of liked the idea of keeping the Four Generals alive longer since I think it helps to make them look more like victims by having them all controlled and then killed off right as they regain their memories, as opposed to those twists coming out when only a couple of them are alive. I think that they were going for something like that. Plus, they probably didn't want to have the Sailor Guardians kill them here since they aren't pure monsters or something like that. The only things I didn't like about that choice was the whole pairing them up with the Inner Guardians. Compared to the relationship between Usagi and Mamoru, it felt really tacked on. I guess it was so that there would be a more personal connection between them, but it felt kind of weak and not strong enough to make their crying after their deaths understandable.

I figured thats what you meant. I just had to make sure a vetern anime watcher was complaining about a staple trait possesed in almost every hero/heroine (the trait being "flip-flopping" personalities). See this whole paragraph is the reason why it makes no sense to watch something you hate. Because it really reads like you're just whining/hating because "reasons". I thought the scene was rather emotional. To have Usagi kill Mamoru, I rather liked that surprise.
    I thought that it made sense that she reacted like that. She clearly cares about Mamoru, so fighting him wouldn't be an easy task for her. Not to mention she's still relatively new to fighting as Sailor Moon in general, so I don't think it makes sense to expect her to have an iron resolve, especially fighting against someone she cares about. Plus, I think that Usagi expected her attack to restore Mamoru after she put all of her energy into it, so after that didn't work, she would be shaken up. Attacking Mamoru did help to make the cliffhanger more emotional. The main flaws were that it didn't look like the sword did much damage to them. It looked more like she just cut Mamoru's shirt, but I'd just chalk that up to how much blood/violence they're able to show. They've had to tone down some other intense moments from the manga, like Usagi imagining Mamoru being dead when he was still missing, so that's probably why.

I didnt say its for women. I said its aimed at teenage girls. And regardless, SMC needs to be treated as an anime that was made for those "grown women" who grew up on the original. How many of them do you think care about any of the criticisms being laid out by you? None if any? Im not saying anyone does, I just want to put it in perspective. Hey bro, you're taking a dump on a show that was never meant for you. Thats the standard that should be worked with when reviewing the show, dont you think?
    I could see some having problems with the technical aspects at times, but I imagine many women watching the show in Japan are probably happy that there's a more faithful adaptation for the series at last. I remember how people wanted that to happen for years. It's certainly not a perfect series, but I don't think that it's horrible either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The only things I didn't like about that choice was the whole pairing them up with the Inner Guardians.
    The pairings were only hinted at if you think about it, and really, only between Minako and Kunzite. It didn't really bother me since I simply took it as a nod to the infamous Senshi/Shitennou couples image.

I could see some having problems with the technical aspects at times, but I imagine many women watching the show in Japan are probably happy that there's a more faithful adaptation for the series at last. I remember how people wanted that to happen for years. It's certainly not a perfect series, but I don't think that it's horrible either.
    I can see it too. Even the biggest Crystal apologist would have a hard time defending it against criticism of being a shoddy put together piece of trash as Jacob so eloquently put it. But whats done is done. I long accepted that Crystal wasn't going to be the awesome rebirth of a series that I hoped it to be. Instead, were getting a Milton Berle type of series (doing just enough to please the fandom). I just don't see the point in spewing vitriol every two [three] weeks on something that is so clearly not doing it for you, you know what I mean? Save that for the youtube comment section.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    The pairings were only hinted at if you think about it, and really, only between Minako and Kunzite. It didn't really bother me since I simply took it as a nod to the infamous Senshi/Shitennou couples image.
    I thought that they mentioned that they all fell in love in their past lives back in episode ten, but maybe I'm mistaken. It was probably just a nod to that image, but it felt like a weak connection since they didn't expand on their time in their past lives to make their relationships, romantic or not, mean more.

I can see it too. Even the biggest Crystal apologist would have a hard time defending it against criticism of being a shoddy put together piece of trash as Jacob so eloquently put it. But whats done is done. I long accepted that Crystal wasn't going to be the awesome rebirth of a series that I hoped it to be. Instead, were getting a Milton Berle type of series (doing just enough to please the fandom). I just don't see the point in spewing vitriol every two [three] weeks on something that is so clearly not doing it for you, you know what I mean? Save that for the youtube comment section.
    Doing enjoy enough to satisfy the fandom sounds pretty fitting for Crystal. It does feel like it was made in mind with fans of the franchise more so than bringing in any newcomers. That's another issue people have with Crystal and I can understand where they're coming from in that regard. I was so excited when Crystal was announced and while I do like it, I can understand why people would have issues with it, especially when we had to wait for this series for two years. I imagine that there were some behind the scene issues since they originally announced it for July in 2012, but then they had to delay it and I seriously doubt that they had planned to that from the start. Maybe that's one reason why there are technical problems if they had issues from the start.

I don't see the point in commenting on a show that isn't appealing for a person either. Even with the slow rate at which episodes come out, it seems a bit unnecessary by a certain point to get so worked up over this show.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718