Quantcast
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Episode #10

Like This Thread!

Studio Dub was sub-contracted to handle the key animation for Episode #10. Takahashi Akira is a frequent animation supervisor for Disk Wars: Avengers so I was surprised to see him working on Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal given he will be animation supervisor for Episode #35 of Disk Wars: Avengers airing 26 November 2014. I hope Disk Wars: Avengers isn't cannibalized for this series.

Komatsu Kozue is still credited as chief animation supervisor. This leads me to believe that Sakou Yukie is probably heavily involved in the correcting of every episode for the Blu-ray release. I have to wonder how much longer Komatsu will hold the role of chief animation supervisor, especially once these last few episodes hit home video. Will the credits be altered to include Sakou as a chief animation supervisor with even further corrections to the episodes? Sakou's designs are so horrible I don't really see the point of trying to make the series look on-model. If the series was supposed to be a premium series then the employing of such weak designs does not exactly make that easy.

Episode Director Mitsuka Masato didn't use the transformation BANK animation! That's silly, given the series' penchant for being so horrendously behind schedule. Using the full transformations would have saved time and money. Horrible decision-making really is this series' bread and butter. The storyboard by Ogata Takahide during the action cuts--few as there were--was not too bad. If the transformation BANK animation had been employed the action cuts could have probably been a bit better thanks to the extra drawings.

Koyama Mami voices Queen Serenity. I figured Mitsu'ishi Kotono would have. Koyama is best known for voicing Arale from Doctor Slump: Arale-chan and Kycillia Zabi from Kidou Senshi Gundam.

Is that Shida Naotoshi BANK animation I see I the Episode #11 preview?
    Last edited by Jacob T. Paschal; 11-15-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Added note about preview.

dumbfoolkid5 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Any chance the English voices who did the new dub be used for this series too?

Vegard Aune is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dumbfoolkid5 View Post
    Any chance the English voices who did the new dub be used for this series too?
    I think they said they'd use the same cast. And if they do, I honestly believe the dub will be the better version of this show. Because Kotono's voice for Usagi is just not working at all. Like, the rest of the cast are fine, but Kotono is just awful in this.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Episode #11

Komatsu Kozue continuing to act as chief animation supervisor makes me wonder if Sakou is going to continue making corrections for the home video releases. The use of two animation supervisor assistants gave me hope that Episode #11 would look decent. The character drawings weren't particularly great and the color work seemed noticeably more like bad CG coloring in a few shots. The storyboard from Yuzumi Keita did employ a few interesting angles to help keep the flow of the scenes a little more interesting but they were pretty few and far between. 6:35 is definitely the most pleasant to look at shot but it is also where the coloring is at its worse, giving Minako's hair a very plastic effect. The shots at 8:58 and 9:16 had nice layouts but the key animation for the latter lacked oomph. Usagi's posture is stiff and her expression very plain. The key animator or one of the animation supervisors should have tried to give her expression more of an apparent expression to hit home that she was in great discomfort. The key animator for the gag regarding Minako and the giant sword didn't really capture a sense of fun, either. If it weren't for the audio I wouldn't have known it was supposed to be the series' first attempt at comic relief.

The new transformation music has a nice instrumental but the vocal track is poorly mixed in and doesn't have enough presence. It feels entirely out of place when mixed in that manner.

The action cuts had some nice camera work but the timing and general lack of artistic ability of the key animators really hampered a nice storyboard. It's a shame Tanaka Hironori wasn't able to handle these. I hope whoever his contact was on Episode #9 manages to get him to work on action cuts for the series, it would be quite nice.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm hearing Shida Naotoshi did the storyboard for Episode #12...but the animation supervisor is Paul Ano-Nuevo. A Shida storyboard outsourced to Toei Animation Philippines. Yeesh. Isn't this supposed to be the climax of the arc?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Episode #12

Wowzers, a full episode sub-contracted to Toei Animation Philippines. It was even corrected there, too! I do have to wonder if Chief Animation Supervisor Komatsu Kozue had to layer on extra corrections, though. Shida Naotoshi, arguably the best in-house animator at Toei Animation, provided the storyboard for Episode Director Satou Hiroyuki once again. I guess Satou cannot draw or Shida simply wanted to receive another credit on the series even if meant no key animation. Toei Animation Philippines also did Happiness Charge PreCure Episode #45 (21 December 2014), meaning two magical girl episodes in one week! Toei Animation is currently going through a renovation according to Shida Naotoshi’s Twitter account, so I have to wonder if the in-house output is currently being stifled.

The cut at 4:23 was perhaps the best of the series. I suspect Animation Supervisor Paul Ano-nuevo’s hand was strongest for that cut, unless there is someone else at TAP who can actually draw decently. Speaking of decent, the dialogue for this series sure does suck. The timing of the scene where Venus realizes who their foe truly is was simply lacking in urgency. The voice performances were also horrible, which seems to be a running trend for this series.

Good grief, what an awful episode. The confrontation with the Shiten-ou isn’t a confrontation at all! Usagi’s fighting spirit constantly flip-flops and the chain of events followed throughout the episode have no sense of weight or urgency. ‘Hideous’ is the only word I can think of to describe this episode, if not this series as a whole.

Also, that cliffhanger wasn’t even drawn with enough intensity for me to believe that Mamoru and Usagi might even be dead. What the Hell?

Gold Guy is offline Long-eared grinch?
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Honestly, I'm not a fan of Crystal either. I would never call it horrible, but...

You should've stuck with the original series. ~
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    At this point the only thing I find half-way interesting about the series is how it affects the rest of Toei Animation's output and those staffers I like. I've kept up with the series due to it only being two episodes a month but it's becoming as offensive as any series worth dropping, so I figure I'll probably do so after Episode #13. I can't imagine the writing or storytelling will see any sort of boost toward quality in the second arc.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    I'll be completely honest here. I like Crystal more than the original series at this point. I've been constantly forgetting to comment on the newest episodes for the past couple of months, but I honestly do like it more. A good part of it does come from how I really liked the manga, but I think that the writing is better, especially for Usagi and her relationship with Mamoru is handled a hundred times better than it was in the original series. I'm not saying that the original anime is horrible either. I like it, it has some strengths over Crystal, such as giving a bit more focus to the Inner Guardians, and I can see why it's still pretty beloved after all these years. But when it's bad, it's really bad. Crystal has problems too on technical levels, the bi-weekly release really hurts the pacing and it pretty much gains all of the flaws of the manga, but if I had to choose between the two, I would go for Crystal. I will say that when the original series is good, it's usually pretty darn good, but that doesn't really make up for all of its flaws for me.

Anyway, I have been enjoying these past few episodes. Episode nine handled the reveal of Usagi and Mamoru's past lives quite nicely. It was probably the most emotional scene for Usagi at that point and it really helps their romance that they had a genuine connection before that twist was revealed. That is a huge problem I have with the original series since Usagi and Mamoru really had no connection before they learned the truth and that just made their romance feel really forced. This worked as a more natural progress to both their relationship and the reveal for that twist in the first place. I also liked how the other Guardians tried to comfort Usagi since that felt pretty sweet.

The trip to the moon in episode ten was pretty nice. It did make a lot more sense here than it did in the manga and I think that having the Guardians see flashes of it in their past lives kind of helped to make it more personal for them, instead of just suddenly remembering everything. I kind of figured that they'd have the Four Kings being paired with the Inner Guardians, in their past lives anyway, since they seemed to have been building up to that. I was surprised that they survived that episode since I thought that they'd die right then.

Episode eleven was pretty good. There was some nice tension with Usagi seeing Mamoru again and I really liked how they were developing the relationship between her and Luna a bit more to help make them look closer.

Episode twelve was also pretty good. The way they were able to defeat Queen Beryl was pretty intense, more so than what I remember from the manga, but maybe that was due to hearing her voice as she was turned to dust. The fight between the Inner Guardians and the Four Kings was okay, but I was really caught off guard with how quickly they were killed. I figured that they still would since they don't play a major role in the other arcs if I recall correctly, but I thought that they'd have a bit of time with the Guardians before they were killed. I don't think that I wanted them to actually stick around to be their boyfriends since unlike with Mamoru and Usagi in this case, their feelings are completely based off of their connection to their past lives, so that would just be forced, but I'd thought that they'd something before being killed off. I do kind of liked that they decided to keep them alive for so long since I think that helped to make them look more like victims than the manga did due to how most of them had already been killed by the time the truth was revealed.

The fight between Usagi and Mamoru was fairly intense, although the cliffhanger could have used some work since the sword didn't look like it really did much to either one of them. They probably couldn't show them bleeding, especially given how they showed how Prince Endyimon died in their past lives, but the emotional outcries from the other characters helped to make up for that. It was fairly emotional scene.

EDIT: My 18,000th post. Awesome.

aegisrawks is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    God, that's SO cool Lady Lucario!!!

Im so happy for you!