Quantcast
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526
    Dr. Daedalus is offline I presume
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Ah, it was one of those deals. So I take it R, S, and Super S don't end on such reset button-y notes?

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Oh, definitely not. After series 1, in fact, there's things in the other seasons that connect them to each other while certain characters enter and leave the show (though the core 5 are a constant, which I feel is a good thing). So there's a kind of sense that time is moving forward in Sailor Moon, to the extent that's possible in a series with a lot of episodic plotting.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I actually kind of like the ending. I would have been fine if they ended the Sailor Moon anime series right there in a way. It was a big emotional and dramatic finale and everyone losing their memories as Guardians kind of worked. The had completed their mission against the big villain and all of them going back to living as normal girls afterwards seemed fitting, especially for Usagi who had the most problems with becoming a Guardian. Queen Serenity also wanted them to live happy lives after their kingdom was destroyed. It also has a more hopeful note that they'll all meet each other again to become friends and that Usagi and Mamoru could maybe fall in love with each other in the future. If anything, how quickly R gets back to the status quo, for at least the Sailor Guardians, is more of a problem than the reset button of this ending in my opinion.

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I always felt the first season ending was perfect if season one was stand alone. It had everything come full circle with how the season opened and it left the potential for the characters to get back together without an evil menace lurking in the background. It also made their deaths in episode 45 more poignant. Usagi was given a second chance at life and it was those little mundane things that made it so special.

Speaking of Episode 45 while Sailor Moon has many tragic and dramatic things happen in other seasons they were never as personal and cathartic as they were in this episode. The Guardians deaths were Tomino-level (Gundam) brutal and the right amount of emotional punch that made Sailor Moon's final mission so critical.
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

Dr. Daedalus is offline I presume
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O-chan View Post
    I always felt the first season ending was perfect if season one was stand alone. It had everything come full circle with how the season opened and it left the potential for the characters to get back together without an evil menace lurking in the background. It also made their deaths in episode 45 more poignant. Usagi was given a second chance at life and it was those little mundane things that made it so special.
    That's a good way to put it, and pretty much echoes my thoughts.

Gold Guy is offline Stay Happy
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Even though I'm glad the series continued on, I agree that season 1's ending was basically the perfect, bitter-sweet ending. I'm not normally a Shojo fan, but man. Very emotional. As the kids would say nowadays, the feels.

The actual finales in comparison is disappointing, but we'll talk about that when we get there. :P
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The reset button is purely an anime invention designed to facilitate the filler arc that was the first half of Sailor Moon R. At this point the anime was actually quite ahead of the manga and making stuff up as it went along (this is why the entire final arc bares little to no resemblence to the original manga or SMC for that matter) and the writers needed someway to pad it out more. Thus... amnesia.

Tohya is offline deficit omne quod nasciture
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I honestly think the biggest reason why SM first season was regarded so highly was probably because of how it ended. For a show that was packing on the fluff to come out of nowhere with a final battle like that was impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by O-chan View Post
    Speaking of Episode 45 while Sailor Moon has many tragic and dramatic things happen in other seasons they were never as personal and cathartic as they were in this episode. The Guardians deaths were Tomino-level (Gundam) brutal and the right amount of emotional punch that made Sailor Moon's final mission so critical.
    I would actually disagree and say that Sailor Stars, for all it's faults, probably had the most tragic and dramatic Sailor senshi deaths. The way all 9 of the senshi die..in such epic fashion easily trumphs season ones. Even Rei dieing in Usagis arms was done with considerably more flair than in season one.
    "If that's what it means to be wise, I guess that means I'll be fool all my life" - Naruto, after Jiraiya has told him to wise up and give up on his friend.

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tohya View Post
    I honestly think the biggest reason why SM first season was regarded so highly was probably because of how it ended. For a show that was packing on the fluff to come out of nowhere with a final battle like that was impressive.
    I would actually disagree and say that Sailor Stars, for all it's faults, probably had the most tragic and dramatic Sailor senshi deaths. The way all 9 of the senshi die..in such epic fashion easily trumphs season ones. Even Rei dieing in Usagis arms was done with considerably more flair than in season one.
    I actually feel the opposite about their demise in Stars. On one hand it was more realistic to have several characters meet their doom in a very rapid fire succession, on the other hand what made Episode 45 stronger was that the characters dying came out of no where. It was Sailor Moon's freshman time for being a Guardian and she formed these close friendships with these girl over the course of the season only for them to die one by one before her eyes. You see Usagi become less stable with each death and by the time she thinks Rei is dead she's almost catatonic. Until Episode 46 there was no guarantee that anyone could be revived. As I stated before the deaths felt far more personal here and the only thing that matched it was
    Spoiler:
    the deaths of Uranus and Neptune in Stars
    . But since Stars wasn't officially licensed until recently I'm going to refrain from discussing it any further so we don't further spoil events for people watching the commercial releases.
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526