Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    trunkschan90 is offline Lover of Trunks plushies ^___^
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I'll definitely be picking this up. Wish they would have included the Spanish dub.
    Trunks plushie ^_^
    Support AnimeSols
    http://animesols.com/

tinlunlau is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saint Seiya (the series) was only good up to the Gold Sanctuary. lol!
    I didn't really like the Poseidon arc.

Haven't seen the 4 movies. Might wanna pick this up.
    If only Diskotek would sell their stuff over to Canada!

trunkschan90 is offline Lover of Trunks plushies ^___^
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Discotek Adds Original 1973 Cutey Honey TV Anime & Mazinger Z Super Robot TV Anime

Trunks plushie ^_^
    Support AnimeSols
    http://animesols.com/

Batmex is offline Avengers Assemble!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mazinger Z on it's way to america!

If life is not fair all you have to do is MAKE IT fair

Jacob T. Paschal is offline Wolverine by Shida Naotoshi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is incredible news and I give many thanks to DiscoTek. Mizuki Ichirou's signature theme can finally be heard on an American release!
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it! | Dragon Ball Z 2015 Film

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Cutey Honey (1973) Licensed by Discotek

via their Facebook page.

How is the 1973 series? If it helps, I've seen New Cutey Honey and Re: Cutie Honey, and of those two, I liked the latter better.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    From what I gather the original Cutey Honey is a bit more toned down compared to Go Nagai's manga and the newer anime that would come later, standing as a seminal work for henshin superheroics. Kamen Rider mixed with Sailor Moon, perhaps.

So we have this, Mazinger Z, + Rose of Versailles from Nozomi, original Lupin and Galaxy Express 999 this year, Space Pirate Captain Harlock to come...it's a good time for 70s anime. Now if only Voyager could remaster Star Blazers and/or classic Yamato.

Not sure how well Mazinger has really aged, it may be best if I know it by the clips I've seen at cons.....but curiosity may just get the better of me there.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic Speedy View Post
    via their Facebook page.

How is the 1973 series? If it helps, I've seen New Cutey Honey and Re: Cutie Honey, and of those two, I liked the latter better.
    It's more lighthearted than New Cutey Honey but more serious than Re: Cutie Honey.

Every Cutey Honey sequel/remake has emphasized certain aspects of the original more than the others. Cutey Honey Flash, for instance, emphasized the shoujo, "dress-up" appeal of the original. (Yes, Cutey Honey does have female fans)

It's a fun series, with groovy and funky 70s BGM. It's a bit repetitive as all henshin style shows tend to be, but it's only 25 episodes anyway. There's a bunch of videos on youtube showing her various transformations and they never fail to make me laugh.

GWOtaku, I think Star Blazers is in a bit of a bind right now regarding rights. I'd definitely buy it, but I think I'd prefer a different company handling it this time.

I think we've now gotten a notable chunk of the seminal 70s anime licensed now. I'd like to see Tommorrow's Joe make it here someday--it's one of the most important shows in anime history.

mdo7 is offline good animation/video game fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    From what I gather the original Cutey Honey is a bit more toned down compared to Go Nagai's manga and the newer anime that would come later, standing as a seminal work for henshin superheroics. Kamen Rider mixed with Sailor Moon, perhaps.

So we have this, Mazinger Z, + Rose of Versailles from Nozomi, original Lupin and Galaxy Express 999 this year, Space Pirate Captain Harlock to come...it's a good time for 70s anime. Now if only Voyager could remaster Star Blazers and/or classic Yamato.

Not sure how well Mazinger has really aged, it may be best if I know it by the clips I've seen at cons.....but curiosity may just get the better of me there.
    I talk to somebody on ANN about that. Voyager confirmed on Facebook afew weeks ago that Star Blazers and Space Battleship Yamato were treated as completely seperate licenses, so if another company wanted to pick up just the Japanese version they would probably be able to. But I would love it if Voyager Entertainment could team up with Discotek to help release Yamato uncut. Hey it work for WEP when they teamed up with Media Blaster to release Go Lion (Lion Voltron uncut) and Dairugger XV (Vehicle Voltron uncut) in Japanese audio with English subs. As a matter of fact, you can watch both Voltron, and Go Lion on Youtube thanks to both of them
    Last edited by mdo7; 10-07-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: my mistake, Dairugger XV is not on Youtube.

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    However, there is some bad news. The article about Mazinger Z goes on to state that it won't be coming until the end of 2013. In other words, it won't be coming out for more than a year. IMHO, I think Discotek might have announced it too early.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.