Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Vegard Aune is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by andywarhol12 View Post
    They've even made a few movies about Madoka and it was nominated on the list of best animation for the Oscars but was sadly not chosen as the leading category choices.
    Was it nominated? I seem to recall it was just the staff submitting it for Oscar-consideration... and really, I daresay it never really stood a chance. While my stance on that movie has changed a lot since I've seen it (Going from "MY MIND CANNOT PROCESS WHAT I JUST SAW" to "THAT WAS THE WORST THING EVER" to "Well it was actually mostly pretty good... BUT THAT ONE DETAIL JUST COMPLETELY RUINS IT" to "Wait, suddenly I get that one detail! Okay, this movie is good now"), it always had the issue of being a sequel that completely expects its audience to be familiar with the show and thus any explanations of what happened in the show are kept extremely minimal. In other words it doesn't really work as a stand-alone picture. So for it to even be considered at all, the committee would kinda need to have already seen the previous two films, or alternately the TV-series (The first two movies are just recaps of the show) in order to even understand what's going on through the film. That, plus it had considerable pacing-problems. Oh and also it's an anime. If memory serves me right, the only anime to have ever been among the Oscar-nominees would be Miyazaki-movies. And even those I seem to recall had a rather hard time actually getting in. But yeah, back on topic, when it comes to currently popular action-series... Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill would indeed seem to be your best bet. Though I get the impression KlK is actually more popular overseas than it is in Japan.

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally I also really like Fairy Tail. Is there anything groundbreaking about it? No. But all in all I really like the characters and the stories. Overall good designs and artwork IMHO. Sometimes the stories are repetitive and pacing could be better, but generally for a Shounen type of show, I think its enjoyable. I don't hate it at all.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andywarhol12 View Post
    Thanks! I will definitely check the show out sometime. If it was created by the same guy who made Madoka Magica it must be good! With 13 episodes i hope it didn't leave it the 1st season off at a cliffhanger... Then i would have to patiently wait for the new season to be released.
    I can safely say without getting into spoilers that you get a full and complete story with the season. A lot of fans are actually unsure what it's left to talk about with the second season given how well things are wrapped up.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You might be right about it being just submitted but let me check the article.
    Wind Rises, Madoka Magica, Momo Submitted for Oscar Nominations - News - Anime News Network

Yes, you're also right about Madoka Magica being confusing to viewers who haven't seen the pervious films but overall i enjoyed the movie. Miyazaki films have been probably the only anime that has been nominated but Spirited away in 2002 did in fact win best animation of that year. If the category was made prior 2001 i think there would have been many other animes that could have been nominated in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
    Was it nominated? I seem to recall it was just the staff submitting it for Oscar-consideration... and really, I daresay it never really stood a chance. While my stance on that movie has changed a lot since I've seen it (Going from "MY MIND CANNOT PROCESS WHAT I JUST SAW" to "THAT WAS THE WORST THING EVER" to "Well it was actually mostly pretty good... BUT THAT ONE DETAIL JUST COMPLETELY RUINS IT" to "Wait, suddenly I get that one detail! Okay, this movie is good now"), it always had the issue of being a sequel that completely expects its audience to be familiar with the show and thus any explanations of what happened in the show are kept extremely minimal. In other words it doesn't really work as a stand-alone picture. So for it to even be considered at all, the committee would kinda need to have already seen the previous two films, or alternately the TV-series (The first two movies are just recaps of the show) in order to even understand what's going on through the film. That, plus it had considerable pacing-problems. Oh and also it's an anime. If memory serves me right, the only anime to have ever been among the Oscar-nominees would be Miyazaki-movies. And even those I seem to recall had a rather hard time actually getting in. But yeah, back on topic, when it comes to currently popular action-series... Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill would indeed seem to be your best bet. Though I get the impression KlK is actually more popular overseas than it is in Japan.
    That's good to know and one i check it out Il'l probably let you know what i thought of the anime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    I can safely say without getting into spoilers that you get a full and complete story with the season. A lot of fans are actually unsure what it's left to talk about with the second season given how well things are wrapped up.
    Last edited by GWOtaku; 02-22-2014 at 10:45 PM. Reason: merged double posts

mumbo is offline Look skyward
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Although Lord Dalek covered them all pretty well, I'll just highlight Attack on Titan and Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic as the hot ones that are pretty much shoe-ins to make it to Toonami.

There's a good chance the Hunter x Hunter anime will wrap up this fall in Japan, with there being no material left to adapt, so that might come west, but yeah, the first anime didn't do so hot. The new anime is fantastic though.

Toriko's been licensed but I'm under the impression the DVDs didn't do so hot. The manga is red hot, but the anime wasn't very well received in Japan, either, and for good reason. It's one of the worst anime adaptations I've seen. The manga is unique and very entertaining, but the adaptation just waters it down so badly, and the animation is garbage, and there's the amount of changes to the source material that you would expect out of a 4Kids dub of an anime. Just not good.

defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As far as action is concerned, most of the kids ask me if I watch One Piece and Naruto. I'm always getting asked about Kuroko no Basuke, though.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

savedbythebell is offline Phoenix Wright fanboy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd say Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's new season is gonna be one of the more popular action animes this year. Considering it's one of the best selling mangas of all time and Stardust Crusaders is by far the most popular part of Jojo's.(even if I think its the worst)

As far as it coming to America though, I'd say its possible but there would be a ridiculous amount of changes.

Other good shows airing right now and really popular are Hunter x Hunter and Kill la Kill.
    Last edited by savedbythebell; 02-23-2014 at 06:35 PM.
    Now Space Ghost regrets his action. "Why," he says, "do we always hurt the one we love? Why, Banjo? Why? Banjo! Banjo! Baaannjo!"

PapaGreg is offline Getting off from violence
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by savedbythebell View Post
    I'd say Jojo's Bizarre Adventure's new season is gonna be one of the more popular action animes this year. Considering it's one of the best selling mangas of all time and Stardust Crusaders is by far the most popular part of Jojo's.(even if I think its the worst)

As far as it coming to America though, I'd say its possible but there would be a ridiculous amount of changes.

Other good shows airing right now and really popular are Hunter x Hunter and Kill la Kill.
    More of a Diamond is not Crash fan huh yeah I had fun with part 3 but my only gripe with it is the protaginist is a stoic Kenishiro wannabe delinquent who if he was as half as interesting and likable as the other cast I would have the will to watch the original ova or read the manga instead of getting my fill from watching the abridge series
    Getting off from violence circa 1997

savedbythebell is offline Phoenix Wright fanboy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaGreg View Post
    More of a Diamond is not Crash fan huh yeah I had fun with part 3 but my only gripe with it is the protaginist is a stoic Kenishiro wannabe delinquent who if he was as half as interesting and likable as the other cast I would have the will to watch the original ova or read the manga instead of getting my fill from watching the abridge series
    Yeah Diamond is not Crash, Steel Ball Run, Battle Tendency, and Stone Ocean are my favorite parts. I don't hate part 3 or anything its just my least favorite. The main reason, like you said, is do to Jotaro being so incredibly boring yet so completely over-hyped. The only characters I actually cared for in part 3 where Old Joseph and Polnareff and I guess Iggy. I am hoping however, that this new anime well make me change my mind about Stardust Crusaders.
    Now Space Ghost regrets his action. "Why," he says, "do we always hurt the one we love? Why, Banjo? Why? Banjo! Banjo! Baaannjo!"

SaneMan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    out of the stuff currently airing, I'd DEFINITELY say Kill la Kill

also, the recently concluded (at least the anime) Attack on Titan

SaneMan is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    also, seeing how we are talking about action animes from the past 5 years, I'm really surprised nobody mentions Tiger & Bunny
    an amazing love letter to American superheroes as well as classic Tokusatsu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2