Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Madoka Magica and Attack on Titan are definitely great animes! They've even made a few movies about Madoka and it was nominated on the list of best animation for the Oscars but was sadly not chosen as the leading category choices. I highly recommend Attack on Titan and even though the anime at the moment is at a steady pace its still worth watching. If it dubs on toonami a lot of people are going to watch it thats for sure. Glad toonami is on the right track with new anime considering they released not to long ago the new anime Space Dandy.

I like Fairy Tail but i wish it wasn't so long. Same goes with One piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I think that the most popular anime titles of the last couple of years have been Madoka and Attack on Titan. I've only seen Madoka subbed on Crunchyroll, but it was huge back when it first aired. I haven't seen Attack on Titan, but its first opening is practically a meme and I've heard a lot about it. Oddly enough, it hasn't made me want to check out the series like all the talk on Madoka did for some reason, but its dub will probably start airing on Toonami at some point this year.

For the record, I really like Fairy Tail. I've only seen the first fifty-two episodes, but I like it. The characters are fun and likable, it can have some funny moments, the fights are usually pretty good and there can be some really effective emotional moments. Writing-wise, it doesn't really do much ground-breaking, but it generally works and it is a fun show,

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think all the big action shows are covered though. Skip Toriko, it's extremely neutered and just not good. Magi is highly underrated, but worth a watch. Kill La Kill is awesome, but the costuming choices can put off a lot of people. Sword Art Online....I guess if you like incest and keeping women down, it's a good show for you (also for those who love bad writing and plots). Attack on Titan can scare off people due to extreme violence (it's actually toned down from the manga a lot) and it can drag at times (Trost...ugh), but if you can stick it out, it's a hell of a ride (It's on Netflix right now in subtitled form if you're a subscriber).

The only show I could add is Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, but it's not the most action-heavy series out there. Yes, there's giant robots and explosions and and stuff, but it's more of a slice-of-life series most of the run. Season 2 is coming (maybe this year, we're not sure yet). It is an extremely charming show though with excellent character development and the action (when present) is rather enjoyable.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually really enjoyed Girls und Panzer. It was very different but i enjoyed it. i know they created a few OVA's but i still wish they would start a season 2. Glad to know they are releasing a movie in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMan400096 View Post
    Here at ToonZone, there's a certain girls in tanks anime I don't shut up about. Many members here are already aware of it, but for the uninformed, its name is Girls und Panzer. In Japan alone, it's one of 2012's biggest hits, and a well deserved one at that. Granted, it's not until episode 4 that it truly begins hitting its stride, but when it does, look out.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartoon X View Post
    Eh, I think the animation is lazy and cheap, the music forgettable, and the pacing erratic. Not to mention the art design and some story/character elements are clear One Piece rip-offs. I will give you that, at one point, I did like the manga at the early parts. At best they were OK. Nothing obnoxious, but nothing that other series haven't already done before and much better. But then the series just becomes more and more stupid and more and more terribly written as it goes on. It becomes a string of cliches, convenient power ups, underwhelming and poorly developed antagonists, and increasingly emotionally defective. In conjunction with the decay of plot is the rise of increasingly more offensive and obnoxious fan-service; I've seen what kind of stuff Mashima's pulling out in recent chapters, and it makes freaking SAO look tame by comparison. Like stuff like Bleach and Naruto, it has become so terribly written and offensive to me at this point that I cannot even like the earlier stuff, which I already thought were just average anyways. The difference is while I can at least read through new chapters of the other two, Fairy Tail is so bad now I refuse to slog through it anymore, and from what I've heard about recent chapters, I'm glad I don't.

Basically, it's yet another shonen series that starts out harmless enough but gets worse and worse as it goes on. The anime doesn't help matters by being cheaply animated, poorly scored, and suffering from long-runner pacing problems. It is not something I personally want on Toonami ever.
    I actually haven't read the manga. I've only seen the first fifty-two episodes of the anime series, so I can't really comment on any of the recent chapters or how the series has become. Although, I have heard some negative comments about how some of the characters are handled later on. I can see where you'd get the One Piece vibe and how other series have handled its elements better too. Even so, I can still enjoy the series. It's nothing to write home about compared to something like One Piece, but the characters are likable enough, the action is good enough and the emotional moments are effective enough to where that isn't so much of a problem for me, at least at the point I am with the series. I don't know if the later episodes will have that same affect on me, but Fairy Tail is basically just decent fun entertainment, which is good enough for me. I can see why people wouldn't like it though.

While I do enjoy the series, I don't think I'd want it on Toonami either. There are far too many long running series on the lineup as it is, especially when One Piece and Shippuden could still be airing new episode into the next decade given how ridiculously long both series are.

Quote Originally Posted by andywarhol12
    Madoka Magica and Attack on Titan are definitely great animes! They've even made a few movies about Madoka and it was nominated on the list of best animation for the Oscars but was sadly not chosen as the leading category choices. I highly recommend Attack on Titan and even though the anime at the moment is at a steady pace its still worth watching. If it dubs on toonami a lot of people are going to watch it thats for sure. Glad toonami is on the right track with new anime considering they released not to long ago the new anime Space Dandy.

I like Fairy Tail but i wish it wasn't so long. Same goes with One piece.
    I've heard about the Madoka movies. Most of them recap the events of the series, while the most recent one continues on with where the series ended. I do hope that once it's released on DVD in Japan, it will be put up on Crunchyroll subbed since I'm curious about how that movie turned out. I'll most likely check out Attack on Titans whenever it starts airing on Toonami.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Glad to see another Kill La Kill fan and yes, you are right about the costume choices. The only reason I'm assuming they have those types of costumers is to build up a fan base on fan service. I don't think i would ever want to see anyone cosplay as some of the characters though. I've heard about Garganita on the Verdurous Planet but never really got interested enough to see it. It kind of reminds me of Eureka seven.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    I think all the big action shows are covered though. Skip Toriko, it's extremely neutered and just not good. Magi is highly underrated, but worth a watch. Kill La Kill is awesome, but the costuming choices can put off a lot of people. Sword Art Online....I guess if you like incest and keeping women down, it's a good show for you (also for those who love bad writing and plots). Attack on Titan can scare off people due to extreme violence (it's actually toned down from the manga a lot) and it can drag at times (Trost...ugh), but if you can stick it out, it's a hell of a ride (It's on Netflix right now in subtitled form if you're a subscriber).

The only show I could add is Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, but it's not the most action-heavy series out there. Yes, there's giant robots and explosions and and stuff, but it's more of a slice-of-life series most of the run. Season 2 is coming (maybe this year, we're not sure yet). It is an extremely charming show though with excellent character development and the action (when present) is rather enjoyable.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The costumes in Kill la Kill are probably just an excuse to draw whatever the staff feel like drawing. Imaishi and friends are weirdos too, after all.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's probably true. It's related to Trigger who always created Kill La kill but i highly recommend watching the short film little witch academia. I think its on youtube. It's kind of like K-on( not really ) but with witches and a lot more action. Youtube is down at the moment for me but the full sub is up there.

and
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    The costumes in Kill la Kill are probably just an excuse to draw whatever the staff feel like drawing. Imaishi and friends are weirdos too, after all.

Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andywarhol12 View Post
    Glad to see another Kill La Kill fan and yes, you are right about the costume choices. The only reason I'm assuming they have those types of costumers is to build up a fan base on fan service. I don't think i would ever want to see anyone cosplay as some of the characters though. I've heard about Garganita on the Verdurous Planet but never really got interested enough to see it. It kind of reminds me of Eureka seven.
    Gargantia is nothing like E7. Give it a shot sometime if you have a chance. The same guy who made Madoka made it. It's also only 13 episodes (with a new season coming down the line).
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks! I will definitely check the show out sometime. If it was created by the same guy who made Madoka Magica it must be good! With 13 episodes i hope it didn't leave it the 1st season off at a cliffhanger... Then i would have to patiently wait for the new season to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hazuda View Post
    Gargantia is nothing like E7. Give it a shot sometime if you have a chance. The same guy who made Madoka made it. It's also only 13 episodes (with a new season coming down the line).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry for asking but if any of you have the free time this blogger needs help trying to get his poll out of a tie. He just needs someone to choose a movie from three movies on his list. Please help him out, I've already put my vote in.

"Film of the Month" Selection Thread: March 2014

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast