Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Paltridge View Post
    This got a glowing DVD Talk review.
    Digimon: The Official Seasons 1-4 Collection : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

I never watched Digimon; I dismissed it as a Pokemon ripoff. How does it hold up now?
    Pokemon and Digimon really aren't that similar beyond both shows focusing on kids bonding with monsters and using said monsters to fight. They're like apples and oranges. Pokemon is more about a never ending journey with a rotating cast, aside from Ash, Pikachu and Team Rocket, while Digimon starts off with a new cast each series and after Adventures 02, the second series, they set up each series in their own universe. While I haven't seen most of the series recently, I think that most of them hold up well due to the interesting characters and engaging storylines. I'd definitely recommend watching the first series and see how you'd feel about it from there. Tamers is my favorite series and I personally think that it is the best one, but it would probably be better to start off with the first one.

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This got a glowing DVD Talk review.
    Digimon: The Official Seasons 1-4 Collection : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

I never watched Digimon; I dismissed it as a Pokemon ripoff. How does it hold up now?
    IMO, Digimon is tons better than Pokémon. Better plot, better character, more depth, the action scenes are better and more violent, cooler music score (in both dub AND sub), etc. I would recommend it. Some seasons are better than others, but none of them reach a super low point.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

PokemonTVDub is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Why didn't New Video Group include this with the collector's set? They missed a very good oppurtunity. They could have released Data Squad alongside the collector's set first before selling it separately so people would be more interested in buying the collector's set.

Storm Eagle is offline Power to the peaceful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTVDub View Post
    Why didn't New Video Group include this with the collector's set? They missed a very good oppurtunity. They could have released Data Squad alongside the collector's set first before selling it separately so people would be more interested in buying the collector's set.
    The collectors set represents the seasons that were mainly known as "Digimon: Digital Monsters". The fifth season is "Digimon Data Squad". Just a guess.
    The artist formerly known as PRdude.

PokemonTVDub is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
    The collectors set represents the seasons that were mainly known as "Digimon: Digital Monsters". The fifth season is "Digimon Data Squad". Just a guess.
    That would be such a nitpick.

If anything, this makes me rather go buy and buy each season separately than buying the collector's set if it's missing Data Squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's now an Amazon listing for the Digimon: Data Squad set.

Amazon.com: Digimon Data Squad: Season 5: Movies & TV

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PokemonTVDub View Post
    That would be such a nitpick.

If anything, this makes me rather go buy and buy each season separately than buying the collector's set if it's missing Data Squad.
    At around $30 a set, you'd be paying around $120 for the first four seasons, give or take.

Or you could buy the seasons 1-4 box set for about $80. At least, that's the current price. Seeing as how I don't have any of the season sets, I think I just might snatch it up while it's so cheap.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PC! View Post
    At around $30 a set, you'd be paying around $120 for the first four seasons, give or take.

Or you could buy the seasons 1-4 box set for about $80. At least, that's the current price. Seeing as how I don't have any of the season sets, I think I just might snatch it up while it's so cheap.
    That is a pretty sweet price for a box set containing four series. I'm not able to pick it up right now, but if the price is like that when I am able to do so, it might be more tempting than getting the individual box sets for me too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have the first three season sets, and I thought I'd sell them and then get the seasons 1-4 collection. Now I'm deciding against it since the sets in the collection don't have their own slipcovers. (Yeah I know, silly.) So I'll just get an individual season 4 set soon. DVD Empire might even have a Black Friday deal, so I'll just look out for one.

Kevin the Geek is offline Golem fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It certainly does. I consider Digimon to be one of the best kids' anime series to ever be created. If you enjoy Digimon, I also recommend checking out Monster Rancher and Medabots.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that Digimon Data Squad will, finally, get all of its episodes out on DVD. Soon, all of Digimon, except for Digimon Fusion, will be on DVD. Way to go, New Video Group!
    My DVD/Blu-ray collection: http://kevin-the-geek.filmaf.com/

Formerly known as Comic Guy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast