Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MagicBox is offline xoBcigaM
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I see no reason for Jacob to force himself through something that simply does nothing for him. He wants to focus on the people who actually made this show, and I don't think he should be replaced with another reviewer because of it. Why does everyone want him to talk about the dub when he's already fully admitted that he doesn't have anything to say about it? I think his perspective is one well worth reading about. He's obviously decided to focus on the episodes themselves in (more or less) the way they were produced and aired.

I just wish that I had seen these episodes so that I could give him feedback on his thoughts (something that he seems to have put a lot of work into).

That said, this is a DVD review, not simply an episodes review, and I think the American dub and the American extras should have at least been spot-checked from a technical perspective. Like, what if there was an authoring error and the English track was just static? If you don't check, you can't report on the DVD itself.
    Last edited by MagicBox; 09-28-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    "Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Dr. Daedalus is online now Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Is this really any different than a reviewer not listening to the Japanese language track? I think it's a shame that Jacob doesn't want to give the dub a chance, but it's his preference.

That said, I don't think people would be getting so upset if Jacob didn't list the dub as an "extra". That's not an extra, that's the default audio track and is part of the main presentation. And just for the sake of argument, even if you DO believe it's an extra, it deserves at least a bit more detail than just listing it. If I wanted a mere list of special features, I could look it up on Right Stuf.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    The conversation keeps happening because people think that something important to them (i.e. the English dub primarily) is being neglected by you for no good reason other than (perceived) spite, considering your attitude towards dubs elsewhere on the forums.
    It's not spite, it's being fair to One Piece episodes #253-263. This show wasn't produced with English soft-subs at the bottom of the screen, so why would I not treat those subtitles as extras?

There is nothing untrue about the things I have written. I have applied no opinion to the paragraph in question. It's the one part of the review most devoid of any form of opinion. It's pure education without "Well, this is nice" or "Frankly my dear, this sucks lamp chops."

Quote Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
    That said, this is a DVD review, not simply an episodes review, and I think the American dub and the American extras should have at least been spot-checked from a technical perspective. Like, what if there was an authoring error and the English track was just static? If you don't check, you can't report on the DVD itself.
    That's looking for a needle in a three hundred minute haystack. If there was a mass issue with these discs it would be noticed and widespread knowledge long before my review was ever written and published, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Speedy View Post
    Is this really any different than a reviewer not listening to the Japanese language track?
    That happens far too often enough, sadly. There's so much hype about trying to do what might draw the most views that people forget to look at the work in question.

Nobody ever respected a man who lied to himself. If I made a review about the preconceived notions of the masses I would be artistically unfaithful to myself and these episodes. Forcing myself to create something I cannot will be neither fun, educational, nor worthy of respect. A sprout cannot grow in a pot of fake soil.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

G1Ravage is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Most of the earlier episodes had all of the closing credits translated, but then it became spotty, and now not at all. I have no idea if FUNi is intentionally omitting it to provide more room for their own credits, or if they simply don't have all the information any more.
    Vegas...now??

MagicBox is offline xoBcigaM
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    That's looking for a needle in a three hundred minute haystack. If there was a mass issue with these discs it would be noticed and widespread knowledge long before my review was ever written and published, too.
    Oh, without question. And I'm sure if such a problem ever did occur, you'd have mentioned it in the review. I was just giving an (extreme) example to back up my stance that I'm okay with reviewers spot-checking various sections of a disc instead of avoiding those sections altogether. That's not to say I didn't enjoy reading the review, though, and I'll surely be picking up the discs when FUNi re-releases them as "collections" later on.

Now that everyone's mentioning it, the lack of translated credits does puzzle me. As I was buying the previous sets, I noticed that the original Japanese credits got shorter, and shorter, and then... nearly vanished. I'm guessing it's Toei, like others have said, but it still bothersome.
    "Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I do have one legit thing to bring up about Jacob's review that has nothing to do with this whole Sub vs. Dub debate. Jacob, of all the things to glance over, why in particular did you
    Spoiler:
    not even mention SogeKing's introduction? That's a pretty big part of these batch of episodes, and I'm shocked you didn't use it to praise Kappei Yamaguchi's performance. Did you honestly not find it noteworthy enough, or were you simply being spoiler cautious?

Back to the debate in this thread. Honestly, it's Jacob's attitude about the entire thing that rubs me the wrong way more than anything. He doesn't have some life threatening allergy preventing him from at least spot checking the dub or at least giving it more than a single sentence mention as an "extra", which it is not. It's going out of his way to marginalize it as a whole, while defending his reasons for continuing to do so that I find troubling. Would FUNimation or any of their employees who happen to come across the review be happy to see their dub referred to as just an extra? Of course not. If the effort could be made to at least not downplay the dub's purpose and inclusion on the DVDs in future reviews, that would at least be a step in the right direction. Like Speedy said, it is still a part of the main presentation, whether Jacob wants to admit so or not. After all, FUNimation's trailers wouldn't be using sound bytes from their dub otherwise.

I should mention perhaps the biggest reason people would like to see the dub given a look at is due to the nature behind the release of these sets. Fans waited for years to finally see Season 4 and beyond dubbed into English. For a brief period of time, many of us suspected that FUNimation wouldn't even continue past Season 3. The continuation of the dub and the series' release here overall was a huge announcement for American One Piece fans back in late 2011. Naturally, wanting to know how FUNimation's dub handled these episodes is understandable. As I already mentioned, the Japanese version for these episodes are easily accessible for free on Hulu. Another reason to see the dub reviewed is for compare and contrast purposes. I never said Jacob had to abandon the Japanese audio track just to review the English audio track. A shame we'll obviously never get that as long as Jacob is the only reviewer for these sets.

I never suggested that Jacob should flat out be replaced either. My suggestions were that Jacob should either open up and talk about the dub himself, or that there could be another reviewer reviewing these sets alongside Jacob. It's not unheard of to see multiple reviews of the same show on this site, and that would make for some different perspectives. I understand the latter option could come down to busy schedules, but just throwing it out there for consideration.

HellCat is offline Sincere charlatan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not interested in taking sides in this discussion, but on the topic of letting someone else review One Piece- the show is now being released in the UK and work is under way on reviews of these releases. I appreciate we'll obviously be a good few seasons behind the US but it will be someone else weighing in.

And just because these are UK anime releases, don't necessarily assume it'll be me

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HellCat View Post
    I'm not interested in taking sides in this discussion, but on the topic of letting someone else review One Piece- the show is now being released in the UK and work is under way on reviews of these releases. I appreciate we'll obviously be a good few seasons behind the US but it will be someone else weighing in.

And just because these are UK anime releases, don't necessarily assume it'll be me
    That certainly sounds great, and these will be extra intriguing to read because this is the first time the UK has been exposed to FUNimation's dub. Despite being a few Seasons behind, it's nice that the UK is finally getting the series properly on DVD at all. Looking forward to it, and I appreciate that there will be another reviewer's take on the series in the future.

Ed Liu is online now Come to our macaroni party
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtar View Post
    My suggestions were that Jacob should either open up and talk about the dub himself, or that there could be another review. I understand the latter option could come down to busy schedules, but just throwing it out there for consideration.
    We get one screener copy for the staff and Jacob is the only reviewer who's shown real interest in the title. Handing it to someone else just so we can cover the English dub opens up the "you're not giving this to someone who understands or respects the property" argument which we've encountered in the past and which I'm not interested in engaging in either.

I'm sorry you guys aren't happy with what you're getting for One Piece DVD reviews, but it's one of literally dozens of titles we get in a month and I just don't have the time to make it a special case any more than any of the other titles we get. Multiple review titles are discs where we can get multiple copies (the Robotech disc we did recently, or the DC DTVs) or digital screeners (where the companies provide the episode on a website) or something someone's interested enough to cover their own personal copy.

Beyond what I said in the last review thread, I don't think I've ever seen anybody complaining when the Japanese track is ignored or glossed over, and I know I've reviewed anime titles where I didn't say much or anything about the soundtrack at all.
    Edward Liu | Disney Forum moderator | Toon Zone News Interviews Editor

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so."
    -- Josh Billings

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtar View Post
    I do have one legit thing to bring up about Jacob's review that has nothing to do with this whole Sub vs. Dub debate. Jacob, of all the things to glance over, why in particular did you
    Spoiler:
    not even mention SogeKing's introduction? That's a pretty big part of these batch of episodes, and I'm shocked you didn't use it to praise Kappei Yamaguchi's performance. Did you honestly not find it noteworthy enough, or were you simply being spoiler cautious?
    There was never much of a way to fit it in there while maintaining a consistent message and form. SogeKing is cute and all but it's not where Yamaguchi really shines. Should I ever get around to whichever set has episode #309 I will most likely spend the entire voice acting paragraph opining about Yamaguchi and Tanaka.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast