Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    Obviously Funi realized they licensed Oniai and now wants nothing to do with it....then again that didn't stop em from dubbing Master of Martial Hearts.
    I'm sure they're really regretting that, considering its initial sales warranted a re-release under the Anime Classics label.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterstar View Post
    I can smell the sub only DBZ sets coming our way.
    Why would they do that?
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    Why would they do that?
    Agreed. It wouldn't make sense to release sub only sets for shows that already have full uncut dubs. Especially not FUNimation's biggest show of all time. Even the Dragon Boxes included the English audio track. Why exclude the English audio track, when there is no logical reason to do so? That would be forfeiting a decent portion of potential consumers. The only ones who would think that it would be a good idea for FUNi to do sub only sets of DBZ are dub haters, elitists and purists who think the English dub shouldn't even exist. If you don't like the DBZ dub or any other dub in general, just don't choose to listen to that particular audio track. No sense in forcing your opinion on others when it all should come down to personal preference. From a business perspective, there is no sense in doing such a thing whatsoever.

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    Why would they do that?
    Yeah. Some of the younger anime fans are getting WAAAY to paranoid about this thing. Research the marketing reasons behind their doing this and you'll find that the shows that end up sub-only most likely wouldn't even be the shows most fans like in the first place.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtar View Post
    You can't really count Arise, which is an import. It's not like Arise won't get a dub, as FUNi has said it WILL get a dub for its regular stateside release.
    The chosen wording did not reference the future, merely what they're doing in the present. At present FUNimation is releasing Arise without a foreign language dub.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    North American anime distributor Funimation confirmed on Wednesday that it will release OniAi: The Complete Series as a BD/DVD Combo with only English subtitles on December 31. The company explained that it is "trying out a sub-only release because it will inform us as to whether it is a viable option for titles in the future that would otherwise not get released at all. In other words, we're looking into ADDING more releases…" Despite OniAi being its first subtitle-only release, Funimation emphasized it will continue to include English dubs on most of its titles. Funimation added that "the best way to ensure that your show gets an English dub is to support legal simulcasts and streams. We use streaming performance as one of several indicators to determine sales potential for a title."
    Funimation Discusses OniAi Release With Only English Subtitles - News - Anime News Network
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Okay FUNimation you did dub only for Shin Chan before so how about sub-only with an accurate script for the people who might like to see the Japanese version?

Also... if they did get the Gundam license then maybe this would secure Turn-A and some others.

And really now Jacob you act as if their DVD/BD release don't include the Japanese audio or "the show" as you like to refer to it. Only Shin Chan doesn't include the Japanese audio at this point.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Okay FUNimation you did dub only for Shin Chan before so how about sub-only with an accurate script for the people who might like to see the Japanese version? Also... if they did get the Gundam license then maybe this would secure Turn-A and some others. And really now Jacob you act as if their DVD/BD release don't include the Japanese audio or "the show" as you like to refer to it. Only Shin Chan doesn't include the Japanese audio at this point.
    I heard FUNi wanted to release the Japanese audio for Shin Chan, but they legally couldn't. It either has to do with the lack of DVDs for the show in Japan or paying royalties for the Japanese voice actors. We only got one segment in Japanese on DVD as a bonus feature, and that might have been a special case.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And really now Jacob you act as if their DVD/BD release don't include the Japanese audio
    That rather clearly is not what I stated. I referenced a negative aspect, said negative just so happens to be what FUNimation does.

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    That rather clearly is not what I stated. I referenced a negative aspect, said negative just so happens to be what FUNimation does.
    And what is so negative about an English dub again?
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay FUNimation you did dub only for Shin Chan before so how about sub-only with an accurate script for the people who might like to see the Japanese version?
    Aside from the legal reasons, Shin Chan's Japanese track would go down as well as Super Milk Chan did here.

ChibiGoku is offline Something Not Quite Right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtar View Post
    I heard FUNi wanted to release the Japanese audio for Shin Chan, but they legally couldn't. It either has to do with the lack of DVDs for the show in Japan or paying royalties for the Japanese voice actors. We only got one segment in Japanese on DVD as a bonus feature, and that might have been a special case.
    Shin Chan's release with Japanese audio is hit or miss outside of Japan. Some movies are allowed, while other aren't. I think it depends on which characters and/or voice actors are in the movies. The segments that FUNimation was allowed to release with Japanese audio may have not had a problematic voice actor or what not.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    And what is so negative about an English dub again?
    Not quite the point the aforementioned post was attempting to make. The statements I made are pretty opened-and-closed books merely pointing out the things FUNimation has done.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It sounds like you are implying having the option of an English audio track and perhaps emphasizing that for the US market is a negative aspect of FUNimation's business model.

It's good to give people options. Many Japanese animation fans appreciate the music, art direction, animation, and storytelling methods of Japanese productions but don't prefer to read all the dialogue and might even find reading the dialogue something that hinders them from fully engaging in the visuals. Dubs are made to tackle the language barrier and allow a show to reach a wider audience as well as for the fans who enjoy the vocal performances of the English cast. If you know you have a sub-culture that's interested in who is going to voice which character then touting that cast to those fans certainly helps build anticipation.

The fans of the Japanese cast are not left out of course nor should they be.

I'm pretty sure we all understand that some shows stand to lose more money on the production of an English audio track than they'll gain in sales from having the option and the fans who would buy some of those shows have no qualms with reading subtitles or would never listen to an English dub of a Japanese cartoon. FUNimation is wise to embrace the idea that they could bring more shows over if they did not produce dubs for every show they released on DVD/BD. There's nothing wrong with a DVD/BD that does not include an English audio option, that's a nice feature to have but not essential to watch the show and enjoy the show. No reason to ignore the potential gains from releasing shows without an English audio track. I trust FUNimation has a good grasp on what wont sell better with an English audio track and if a show exceeds their expectations they can always offer a dub later.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll say this. FUNimation said that they use streaming numbers to decide whether they should release a show or not, and now that might apply to what shows get dubbed or not. So in short, if there's a show that you really want an English dub of, support the legal streams. Obviously there are certain shows that speak for themselves, in terms of getting a dub. For example. it would be foolish to assume that Attack on Titan, the most popular new anime of the year, won't get a dub. I would be interested in seeing sub-only continuations of shows that ultimately failed with a dub release such as Case Closed and SGT Frog (FUNimation said it hasn't sold too well, and chances of more being dubbed is sadly unlikely).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2