Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Game Freak 4 is offline TV Tropes is Ruining My Life!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cartoon VA's voicing Anime Characters?

Like This Thread!

What would you say of a Cartoon VA(Rob Paulsen, Tom Kenny, Cree Summer, etc.) voice an anime character?

...would anyone want that to happen?

...or has this happened before?

aegisrawks is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Casey Casem and Janet Waldo did voices for Battle Of The Planets (The First Gatchaman English dub)

MagicBox is offline xoBcigaM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tom Kenny had a pretty major role in the Rave Master dub. I don't remember anything else about that show, but I think I liked his performance.

And Cree Summer is the English voice of Medusa in the Kid Icarus: Uprising game as well as its spin-off anime shorts.
    "Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tom Kenny has done some voice over work in anime with IGPX and the Rave Master dub being the two series I've heard him. Crispin Freeman has also done voices for cartoon series like Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice. I imagine that there are more examples for them and other voice actors known for anime roles doing roles for western cartoons too. Since voice acting doesn't pay a lot, most voice actors don't limit themselves to just doing anime and those that do usually try to get a lot of roles.

OtakuGirl85 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Debi Derryberry Voice Zatch and Zeno in Zatch Bell

MadMan400096 is offline Social Outcast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't think I need to bring Canada's voice actors being prominent in both western cartoons and anime.

As for LA, the use of unions combined with the salaries (anime generally pays far less than American cartoons) makes it rare for people mostly voicing in western works to participate in anime dubs. It's not unheard of (Ghibli's dubs, for instance, do it all the time). In addition to Tom Kenny, Cam Clarke is generally well versed in anime (being a part of the original Streamline/Harmony Gold dubbing team definitely helps), and he now does a healthy dose of union anime dubs.

trunkschan90 is offline Lover of Trunks plushies ^___^
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Let's not forget the series Voltron (aka Golion) which had the voices of:
    B.J. Ward
    Jack Angel
    Lennie Weinrib
    Michael Bell
    Neil Ross
    Peter Cullen
    Tress MacNellie

Frank Welker was the voice of Totoro and the Catbus in the anime film "My Neighbor Totoro"

Cam Clarke has done voices in anime like Robotech, Akira, Bleach, Honey & Clover, Duel Masters, Naruto, Ninja Robots and many others.

Katie Leigh has done voices for series like Zatch Bell, Blue Dragon, Wanwan Sanjushi, Adventures of the Little Prince.
    Trunks plushie ^_^
    Support AnimeSols
    http://animesols.com/

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There are some who did it before they got famous for doing western cartoon voice overs. John DiMaggio did Golgo 13 Queen Bee and a few other anime here and there back in the day. Bryan Cranston did Macross Plus and a bunch of other Manga dubs.

It's probably more common to find anime VAs in western cartoons though.

defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Doesn't matter to me, cartoons are cartoons. Though I think it does sound a little odd for someone known for, say a silly nonsense character to voice a serious one. But I feel that way for live action roles as well.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There are some actors I am not sure which category they fall into. Voice actors like Steve Blum, like Tory Baker, like Kari Wahlgren, I have seen do voice in as many western cartoons as anime.

CoolEric158 is offline Sibling Rivalry
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Baby Felix is well-known for having a HUGE cast in the Western dub. Examples include Grey DeLisle, Billy West, Tara Strong, Candy Milo, Corey Burton, Cree Summer, Kath Soucie, and this is just naming a few. But, then again, anime is just cartoons made in the East. Just saying.
    Thinking of something to write down.

Dub C is offline Just a animation lovin' dude
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    There are some actors I am not sure which category they fall into. Voice actors like Steve Blum, like Tory Baker, like Kari Wahlgren, I have seen do voice in as many western cartoons as anime.
    Those are pretty much the talent that started out as mostly anime VAs, but have recently moved on to mostly American voice overs. This has also recently happened with Crispin Freeman, Travis Willingham, and Laura Bailey, who rarely do anime dubs anymore.

I get what the OP is asking. It's more of a Union/Non-Union thing, in which, yes, I'd like to see what casting for certain animes would be like with Union talent.
    What has my attention in Animation RIGHT NOW:
    Hunter X Hunter (2011), One Piece, The Legend of Korra, TMNT (2012), Teen Titans Go!, Magi 2, Kill la Kill, A Certain Scientific Railgun

zoombie is offline Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub C View Post
    Those are pretty much the talent that started out as mostly anime VAs, but have recently moved on to mostly American voice overs. This has also recently happened with Crispin Freeman, Travis Willingham, and Laura Bailey, who rarely do anime dubs anymore.
    And expect others to join with the state of anime dubs in LA. Johnny Yong Bosh I expect to venture into western cartoons, he is well known, and I expect american cartoon industry to look at him. And others too like Kate Higgens, Derek Steven Prince, Karen Strassmen, etc., with Bandai folding, there are fewer anime dub opportunites in the west coast. Sure you have your Bleach, your Narutos, but you can't just work on those shows (plus Bleach has an experiation date).

So you either move on to western cartoons, or move to Texas or New York, or Vancover to get work.

While it is a shame to lose these actors from anime, it is also great oppotunires for new comings, for example Funimation they are introducing great new talent all the time.

Luna is offline Daydreamer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There are quite a few actors who have voiced characters in both Western animation and anime....Disney's dubs of Studio Ghibli films,for example...there's usually at least one or two regular VAs among the celebrities (and in many cases,those celebrities have done some voice acting for other films/TV series themselves)...

Many actors from the cast of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic and/or X-Men Evolution have been in anime dubs from the Ocean group (InuYasha,Death Note,Nana)...
    "Yeah,well,I've got a dream too.But it's about singing and dancing and making people happy.That's the kind of dream that gets better the more people you share it with.And well,I've found a whole bunch of friends who have the same dream.And it kind of makes us like a family." -Kermit the Frog (The Muppet Movie)

Dark Paladin X is offline Dub and Johnny Yong Bosch fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    And expect others to join with the state of anime dubs in LA. Johnny Yong Bosh I expect to venture into western cartoons, he is well known, and I expect american cartoon industry to look at him. And others too like Kate Higgens, Derek Steven Prince, Karen Strassmen, etc., with Bandai folding, there are fewer anime dub opportunites in the west coast. Sure you have your Bleach, your Narutos, but you can't just work on those shows (plus Bleach has an experiation date).
    Johnny Yong Bosch recently has a role in Tenkai Knights (which is basically a Japanese-Canadian cartoon that is easily pass as an anime as well as western cartoon). The reason why you see some union members (Steve Blum, Kari Wahlgren, Crispin Freeman, and Troy Baker) still willing to do some anime work in a rarer instance is because this is how they entered the voice acting business in the first place. Contrast this to Nolan North, James Arnold Taylor, Tara Strong, and Grey DeLisle where they entered the voice acting business through a different media (namely video games or western cartoons).

Also, Bang Zoom! in the recent years have been hiring newer name talents and being non-union for the video game and anime voice projects over well-established veterans because two of their biggest clients (Bandai Entertainment and Geneon) collapsed and they don't have enough resources to hire big name voice actors in their anime as opposed Studiopolis who has more active clients than Bang Zoom! and they normally work in western cartoons.

It's highly unlikely Johnny Yong Bosch will work in more American or Canadian cartoon any time soon. Yes, he has worked in both union and non-union environments and still does. However, western cartoons are pre-lay (voice acting is done before animation) as opposed anime which is ADR (voice acting is done after animation). Pre-lay voice work puts more emphasis on having wider vocal ranges and vocal creativity, something that JYB lacks (since nearly 90% of his voice acting roles sound the same with a few rare exceptions where he is capable of pulling a higher-pitch voice). In anime voice work, due to the nature of ADR, vocal creativity isn't the highest priority. This is why most voice actors who normally work in anime normally sound the same in all their roles unless the said voice actor also work in commercials, audio books, and western cartoons as well.

As for union/non-union issue. If you want anime being union with folks like Crispin Freeman, Tom Kenny, and Wally Wingert, then Studiopolis will most likely pull this off than Bang Zoom! Thus being said, Studiopolis has done non-union anime voice projects before (i.e. Bleach), but they usually have more resources to pull an "all-star cast" in their anime dubs (even in non-union works).

In my opinion, I don't mind having voice actors who normally work on western cartoons or video games to work on anime roles. In fact, ti's my biggest dream of having James Arnold Taylor and Nolan North do so.
    Avatar: Enju Aihara, dressed in a cute orange maid outfit from Black Bullet.
    Favorite video game genres: MMORPGs, jRPGs, strategy games.
    Favorite dub voice actor: Johnny Yong Bosch, Sandy Fox, Bryce Papenbrook, Christine Marie Cabanos
    English dub fan
    Loli lover for life!