Quantcast
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
    Ryusuke is offline SomethingWithTheR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Personally, I think this is the best animated outing Pokemon has ever had. It's like a gift to all those who grew up with the old games. A pretty great one. I kind of wish it were a bit longer, but eh beggars can't be choosers. As for the dub itself, I think the Pokemon voices were better done in the Japanese version, though overall it's pretty decent. Jamieson Price's Giovanni and Kyle Hebert's Oak is probably my favorites in here.
    "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never make it out alive!"
    - Bugs Bunny, "Rabbit Feat" (1960)

mumbo is offline Look skyward
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I loved Origins. They made the most they could with such limited time, and it was great. I felt it was a little out of place to include Mega Evolution, since this special is set entirely in the Red/Blue world, where there are only 150 Pokemon and everything else was so closely adhering to the games, but it made for an epic battle between Mega Charizard X and Mewtwo.

Also, this really, really made me want to see Ash do an Elite Four and Champion challenge. Oh, maybe one day...probably not...

I'd love if they did something like this with Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, etc. And obviously expand it. I don't think it needs to be a full, never-ending saga like the mothership series. Just, like, a cour of 13 episodes - maybe even two at 26 episodes - would do wonders for Gold and Silver. This franchise can surely handle two simultaneous anime series. Whether we get more or not, though, I thoroughly enjoyed this special for what it was.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mumbo View Post
    Also, this really, really made me want to see Ash do an Elite Four and Champion challenge. Oh, maybe one day...probably not...
    We were so close to that with Diamond & Pearl. The Four Heavenly Kings for Shin'ou were introduced and developed, specifically Shirona and Ooba. Shinji fought Shirona and the concept of a Champion League were introduced. Then Best Wishes happened and the head writer and series director completely tossed out their character development. Argh.

The Origin hits home video in Japan on December 4. I'm really looking forward to the Oricon charts for that week.

mumbo is offline Look skyward
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    We were so close to that with Diamond & Pearl. The Four Heavenly Kings for Shin'ou were introduced and developed, specifically Shirona and Ooba. Shinji fought Shirona and the concept of a Champion League were introduced. Then Best Wishes happened and the head writer and series director completely tossed out their character development. Argh.
    I think they just flat-out ran out of time with Diamond and Pearl. I agree, they totally had things all good to go for him to win the Sinnoh League tournament and challenge the Elite Four. He had a team that was mostly evolved and worthy of the challenge, along with having met the whole Elite Four for the first time and yes the Champions League. I really think Gen V originally wasn't going to debut for another year, or something, because the foreshadowing and the pacing of the whole Diamond and Pearl series didn't match how rushed the League was at the end. At least they did the Paul battle justice, but they could have done so much more if they had an extra year. (I think they also could have had Dawn win the Grand Festival instead of be runner-up, since it was the last series they were doing Contests anyway, but I digress...)

But yeah, Best Wishes was such a big step backwards. XY is going to have to really turn things around. It's off to a solid start, but Best Wishes was good at the start too, so we'll see.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    First week sales on in and the results are...not pretty.

DVD: 867
    Blu-ray: 1,647

Well, there goes that.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Well, there goes that.
    I'm not really too surprised. While the special was cool and fun, I wasn't sure if there was good chance that the DVDs and Blu-rays would have large enough numbers to warrant a full series. More specials might be possible, but only if they tie in with some new elements of new games. If it wasn't for Mega Evolutions being introduced in X/Y, I seriously doubt that they would have made Origin when they did. I could have seen them making it for a celebration of the 20th anniversary of the franchise, but not anytime before that.

On the topic of Ash challenging the Elite 4 in DP, I never quite believed that they were going that route. It seemed more like they were just using the game characters more often in that series instead of waiting until years later to show them. I could understand why people thought that was a possibility, especially when Ash vs. Paul could have easily been the final match of the Sinnoh League, but I never quite saw Ash getting to the Elite 4 as a possibility.

Gold Guy is offline Long-eared grinch?
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Those sales are pretty sad. I guess the word of mouth wasn't enough.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    It's possible that there wasn't a lot of promotion for its DVD release. I'm not sure if this is significantly worse than what DVD releases the main series gets or how well the new movies sell either. I don't know if that would help to make these sale numbers look any better though.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    Those sales are pretty sad. I guess the word of mouth wasn't enough.
    Well, it aired on TV during primetime. It doesn't get any better then that. People just did not want to pay money to secure the creation of more of it.

Daxdiv is offline The Fool!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, there goes that.
    What happened to you Japan? You used to be cool. Guess nostalgia wasn't strong enough with this concept.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011