Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode #6

Like This Thread!

Clearly I am fascinated by this series, thus why I am now four or so episodes behind. I'm coming late to an episode about pants? I wouldn't know anything about that, though.

While I am glad that Space Dandy presents the opportunity for talented animators and directors to run freely I feel that this series really isn't story driven enough to back up the sometimes great visuals and samey music. The series is piddling and frankly not even all that exciting. The message of episode #6 isn't really a message so much as an excuse to draw two stupid-looking aliens doing stupid things. My God, it's reverse-moe.

Tanaka Hironori's key animation and the insert song for the surfing cuts are perhaps the one time Space Dandy has ever really worked. The ham of the insert song is the first time Space Dandy has succeeded in being endearing, rather than simply 'there'.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

veemonjosh is online now The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Something weirdly entertaining I stumbled upon earlier. Check out how well Space Dandy's intro synches with the second opening song from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure:

What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 8

Oh hey, it's the Toys in the Attic fridge. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, considering they use woolongs, but this is the most direct connection we've gotten to the crew of the Bebop yet. Speaking of which, I would've loved for that dog to have been a Corgi, but I suppose it is most appropriate to have a Laika for this Space Doggy.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It looks like you can indeed bank on Space Dandy going beyond 13 episodes, as I've just discussed in the Toonami news thread here. The short version is that the recut version of the mecha anime Broken Blade is replacing Space Dandy in its time slot this spring, after which Space Dandy returns at some point for another set. Keeping my eyes open for details on what Watanabe had to say on the subject, but my guess is it'll be a longer wait to find out when the second season can be expected to arrive on the air.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I thought I already posted that staff were recruiting for new episodes. Season One was originally meant to air in the fall, but didn't air until winter. I'd be willing to bet Season Two won't air until Fall 2014 in that case.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not everyone believes / believed it, so I posted more on the subject. There's also this too. Apparently Masaaki Yuasa is doing an episode, which isn't too shocking considering that two people he's worked with were assigned to the latest episode with the plant people.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    An early look at Space Dandy #10, where we will meet a bunch of Meow's people (relatives?). All I need to know about this is that it also has more giant robots!

In fact, on examination the one on the right looks to be the red mecha that appears in the opening toward the end.

http://space-dandy.com/episode/10/

GoldenSaint is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know how they'll fit that into the episode, but I'll enjoy finding out.

TheGunheart is offline Darkness and Disgrace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And for more proof, here's a tweet from the shows spaceship designer...who I was really, really surprised to learn created Code Lyoko, too.
    Save a webcomic! Read Commander Kitty!
    YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL TANGLED UP, BUT IF ONLY I COULD MAKE YOU CARE...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 9

So like most of them, this episode didn't provide me with most of the qualities I look for in anime, but for experimentation in animation alone, it was a little bit of a masterpiece. Wow, that was something.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Chronos is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So overall before I jump in, is it worth it to watch?
    I've seen a lot of mixed reviews. I'm not like a majority of people who compared or expected it to be Bebop or Champloo but I do have a very small amount of time to watch things so I've become very selective in what I spend my time watching.

Honest opinions would be really appreciated, like I said don't bring up Bebop or Champloo just thoughts on Dandy please

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos
    I've seen a lot of mixed reviews. I'm not like a majority of people who compared or expected it to be Bebop or Champloo but I do have a very small amount of time to watch things so I've become very selective in what I spend my time watching.

Honest opinions would be really appreciated, like I said don't bring up Bebop or Champloo just thoughts on Dandy please
    I love it. Each episode's very different so there's some quality variation but at its best its hilarious and at its worst it's still fun to watch and gorgeous to look at.
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post

I'm not a fan of the writing or music (outside of the Opening and Ending), but there's some good animation, particularly in the first episode. The voice actors are pretty strong. Dandy's a boring character and I get the feeling Suwabe isn't always bothering to try to elevate the role.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hah. Here's the art for volume 1 of Space Dandy's home video release in Japan, where they're rocking out to disco. Naturally!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The second season has been confirmed to air back home in July. Highlights will included an episode from Yuasa. Masa'aki of Kickheart fame.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode #7

You may thank Doctor Who and other, generally more fun cartoons for the lateness of this post!

Japanese words written in English in my Japanese cartoon that takes place in outer-space. Wrap your heads around that! Kaji Yuuki's performance as Prince led me to think it was actually Kakihara for a minute there. Kaji sure is getting around ever since Shingeki no Kyojin: Attack on Titan. Chuu was voiced by Tatsuta Naoki, Oolong from Dragon Ball. It's nice to see even now he can still find roles, for a while there it seemed like he wasn't getting any.

The ending was pretty funny and I'm glad to see more of Honey, but this Dandy is just so boring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 11

I swear I had something good to say about this episode, but somehow I completely forgot what happened.

Another very bizarre episode, albeit packed with some messages and references regarding the evolution of media and perhaps a bit of a nod to the VHS episode of Bebop.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode #8

Key animation from Eddie Mehong and Cedric Herole!

Doctor Gel and Bea are the unsung heroes of this series. Ishizuku Unshou was quite hilarious this episode. Speaking of voice actors, Koyama Rikiya voiced Big Brother and Little Brother (don't make a Sayla joke, don't make a Sayla joke!) I was surprised to find Han Keiko voicing Wanko, though. I can't remember the last time I heard Han in a role. Lalah Sune as a dog? That has to be a bad omen! I liked Han here, though. Her background as a voice actress and vocalist offered some great weight to the episode, especially when most of the cast, aside from Ginga Banjou as Admiral Perry, are just a bunch of kids. Yoshino Hiroyuki did a great job here, though. I wish Meow's scene had gone on just a little bit longer so it could have gone fortissimo.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Episode #13 has aired. From the sound of things it was a heck of an episode. A preview for Season Two was aired entirely in genga, the key animation drawings. liborek3 tweeted some of the key animators involved.

Space Dandy #13 KA: Yutaka Nakamura, Kenichi Fujisawa, Norifumi Kugai, Shingo Fujii, Shingo Natsume, Gosei Oda
    According to the boys in #sakuga...

[19:52] <paeses> liborek3 it's Digital key frames
    [19:52] <paeses> that's weird
    [19:53] <liborek3> yeah, bahi said that some of "his friends at bones" use a combination of digital genga and paper
    [19:53] <paeses> Yeah like Fujii
    [19:54] <paeses> liborek3
    [19:54] <paeses> It'
    [19:54] <paeses> It'll be hard to notice the others
    [19:55] <paeses> since someof them are digital I mean in #13
    So that is pretty neat. Series Director Natsume Shingo delivered a pretty cool storyboard, too.

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    Episode #13 has aired.
    I'm confused. Did the show change time slots in Japan because I though the big deal with this show was that the Toonami airing came before the Japanese airing?
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast