GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

"Record of Lodoss War" OVA Gets HD Treatment!

Like This Thread!
    So there is a listing on Amazon Japan for a Blu-ray boxed set for the Record Of Lodoss War OVA series. There's no sign of subtitles or a language other than Japanese and importing would be a hefty expense for most anyhow, but this is still good news as a sign of hope for fans wishing for a fresh release that replaces & improves upon the out-of-print Central Park Media DVDs. You might recall that in 2010 Media Blasters had picked up the property, only to ultimately drop plans to release it. A major factor in that, according to this forum post from ANN's Justin Sevakis, was a materials problem:

It's not just that they can't get them [HD masters], it's that they don't exist. Kadokawa isn't sure where the film elements are either, though I'm not sure they've spent enough time searching for them that they can really be called "lost." Meanwhile MB was trying to tinker with restoring 'em off the old LD masters (which is all that exist right now), but quickly found that they're not very good and not much can be done with them. (We were remarking about how bad they looked at CPM, and look how low our standards were!!)

Not that this doesn't indicate bad things are still happening at MB, but this really wasn't shaping up to be a great release anyway. Not sure anyone will be able to improve much upon the last release CPM did.
    But now a HD release is on the way. The obvious conclusions to draw are that the film elements have finally been found, or else that quite a job was done on the material that exists. Hopefully this can pave the way for a quality rerelease eventually, & in the meantime I'll certainly have my eye out for screengrabs & footage that show the job done on it.

Here's hoping. This is one of the few excellent fantasy anime, & up there right next to Vision of Escaflowne for me.

I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

GoldenSaint is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm also hoping someone else gets the chance to pick up this title for a U.S. release. The OVA suffered from limited animation in parts but the attention to detail in the key scenes was incredible. Beyond that, it's definitely a very good fantasy anime.

Mind you, I still spent a significant amount of money getting the out-of-print version but there wasn't any other alternative at the time.

Lord Dalek is offline Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Lodoss War was niche even back in the day. I would imagine only a boutique label like Nozomi or Discotek would bother with it now.

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    Lodoss War was niche even back in the day..
    Err, no, it wasn't. Lodoss Wars was a big deal at the time. Outside of Manga Entertainment's stuff which was the most popular anime out there (due to Manga's access to so many video retail outlets), Lodoss Wars was probably one of the most successful anime properties of all the smaller anime companies. To this day, I think it was one of CPM's 5 or 6 most profitable titles. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. All I know is that at one point, during the RPG renewal craze of the mid to late 90s, Lodoss Wars was much desired viewing for 90s era nerds, and was also a pretty good gateway anime show. As an anime fan during the 90s, it certainly seemed like a big deal from my experiences with anime fandom at the time.

That said, I do agree that it would get little interest today from the big anime distributors like Funimation and Sentai, but more because it's considered "old" rather than it being a "niche" show in its day.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    A 30 second Japanese commercial for Lodoss War on Blu-ray (quality can be turned up to 1080p). A shorter version with different footage can be seen here. Looking shiny!

I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now that a few months have passed since this thread was first made, I could see Sentai taking an interest in this through their Maiden Japan label.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The first thing I noticed was Kusao Takeshi doing the narrator. Looks like he was the voice of the main character. The second thing I noticed was dat line work and those 1980s/1990s colors.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it! | Dragon Ball Z 2015 Film