GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Ranma 1/2 Out of Print, Cheap on WBShop

Like This Thread!
    Heads up to Ranma fans & would-be collectors. The season sets + boxes for the OVAs and movies for Rumiko Takahashi's kooky comedy have unexpectedly appeared on WBShop.com, and on top of that are discounted to $20. I point this out because it appears at the moment that it has gone out-of-print, with no sign (yet) that Viz will reissue the DVD sets in the way they did for InuYasha. You won't find the DVDs on Rightstuf, on Amazon third parties are selling them for inflated prices, etc. So if you want to get yourself some Ranma, this may be your last chance to do so for awhile. It may well be the best chance at the least.

Oh, one thing. If Ranma is ever rereleased here, there is now a HD remaster in Japan that should mean improved video quality. It's a gamble to hold out for that, but this is something to consider.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Cartoon X is offline Lum the Forever
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just checked and it seems they've only got season 1,2, and 4 in stock, plus the OVA collection and the Movies. Better than nothing at least. I really wish Viz would rerelease the series, but that's unfortunately unlikely, like a rerelease of Monster or Maison Ikkoku.
    Aspiring Animator. A Toonami Faithful since January 2005, and proud fan of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo since October 2005. Wig Out. Stay Gold.

Check out Animation Revelation's Greatest Anime/Manga Story Arcs List!

GoldenSaint is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    How nice, but buying only the volumes they have available isn't exactly giving me a big incentive to make a purchase.

I can only hope someone else picks up the license sooner or later if Viz doesn't really want to do anything else with it.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Huh. Well. That happened fast. I went ahead and grabbed box 2 + the OVAs. That'll bring me up to 50+ episodes of Ranma, which is probably all I really personally need of the humor it's got to offer. Never seen any of the OVAs, so that might be interesting. Or exactly like the TV episodes, but whatever. Cheap stuff!
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally, I think the OVA's are some of the best material of Ranma 1/2 adapted in the anime. At the very least I would say they are about as good as some of the most enjoyable episodes from the series.
    Aspiring Animator. A Toonami Faithful since January 2005, and proud fan of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo since October 2005. Wig Out. Stay Gold.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Related to this sale: I happened upon Nihao My Concubine at a used DVD store near me, and after watching it, it reminds me of why I enjoyed the fifth season: It's just plain fun. And it didn't overstay its welcome; 60 minutes was just right for this tale. Haven't seen the first film yet but if the second was any indication, the movie set is worth picking up.

(side note about Nihao: Sigh, I miss the days when anime looked this good...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first movie is pretty fun...but both it and the second movie have basically the same plot (Akane gets kidnapped, kidnapper falls in love with Akane, Ranma and company go to rescue her, blah blah). I like them, but I don't feel they have much replay value, especially in comparison to the Urusei Yatsura movies which are all quite awesome. As far as the series goes, I though the fifth through seventh season were very consistently funny. In fact some of my favorite episodes in the show are from those seasons. However, the only "weak" season in my opinion was the fourth season, which had some meh episodes in it and was overall very uneven in quality.