Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by HellCat View Post
    Has volume 2 shipped in the US yet? Got a note from Amazon UK that my copy was on the way but not sure when I'll see it. Our regular postman hasn't been seen for a month and whenever he isn't doing the route the stand ins never take parcels out with them.
    Mine is not yet shipped, although expected to be delivered by Friday, June 28, 2013 - Tuesday, July 2, 2013 by 8:00pm.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

HellCat is online now Sincere charlatan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Next volume- Garma Strikes.....When will it arrive? *da da da dun!*

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    "Blame it on the misfortune of your licensee."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got my copy today. Shipped early so I apparently have a tiny lead on the US guys this time.

I haven't had a chance to look at it much thus far. The extras this time are a CLAMP piece of art of Amuro and a 'notes' version of members of said studio discussing Yas' work. Some of it is amusing, such as them looking at the storyboards he did and basically responding "That's a STORYBOARD?! You could ink and publish that in a main work!"

"If you can hear me, Garma, blame your unfortunate origin"....Yeah....I can't help but feel that says alot about how awkwardly direct these releases are translating things. In general the official Sunrise scripts just seem to translate key lines in ways that sound both more punchy and natural.

Any specific questions anyone has about the volume?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Damn, mine is shipping right now but I probably won't get it until Friday or further.

I'm not sure I have much in the way of questions. I remember the Viz releases pretty well.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So the bonus material is all CLAMP-related, right?

How about spiffy color pages? Anything that stands out?
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Zaku pilot, shouting at White Base: "THIS IS FOR DUBOIS!"

DON'T READ THE BOOK, GWO! YOU DIE IN IT!

Yep, all CLAMP. Two pages of text and a two page splash of Amuro

Colour pages...well there is rather curvy Mirai and Sayla sunbathing. I think the best uses are the sequence where Amuro's mother breaks down as he and the White Base leave (light flooding in as the ship moves upwards) and the sequence that ends the book which is the iconic "Degwin drops his cane" sequence.

Not in colour but a new Char scene I really like-
    Spoiler:
    Garma has invited him to lounge by the pool. Char says he dislikes the UV rays and they hurt his eyes. This prompts Garma to relate that Char has always worn the glasses as long as he's known him. Char cuts him off and explains it's genetic, smoothing it over in saying that similar to Garma he too is from a troublesome bloodline. Garma takes this as a joke and walks of laughing. We get a single panel look of Char giving him a nasty sideway glance through the glasses which clearly says "And that is why it's going to be so easy to kill you, idiot"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That joke makes me think Char is implying Garma's a child of incest, wow.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    So, it turns out my local B&N had two copies on the shelf. As expected, I sat down and read the whole volume!

The cover design is killing me. Those transparent boxes in the middle of the damned cover are ever so unsightly.

I had forgotten just how tactical and coordinated Amuro was in battle here. In fact, he even seemed worthy of a lieutenant rank...or at least, worthy of leading an away team on Star Trek.

Char kept stealing the story here, it's incredible. I don't remember Char ever being this cool, but Yasuhiko has managed to really reinvent him as a cool dude. All those panels of his smart-ass smiles were glorious.

Section IV was incredibly massive. Eighty-six pages for a single chapter must've meant a lot of planning ahead for Yas. Of course, this sort of makes it the potential animated adaption a bit weird. Sections I and II would work as a single episode, III and IV are combined well over a hundred twenty pages. That would have to be split into two episodes. The rest of the volume would work as two chapters per episode, making in total another five episodes worth of content for one volume.

I also noticed that Yas is really fond of cutting to other characters' reactions. Sayla whistling after Bright tells Reed off and the like.

Yas' art is best during the character stuff. His lines are thin and simple, making the art easy to take in. His fight scenes, tough, while filled with neat ideas, are cluttered. Too much smoke obscuring the action and with action panels that are not always properly storyboard with panel-to-panel flow. Hmm...

Mr. Anime is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone else bothered by the fact Yas turned Garma from the genuinely nice guy he was in the original version to a spoiled brat that Char can look more justified in sending to his death here?