Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    HellCat is offline Travelling hero
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Ortega: "They say Ramba Ral, no less, went for wool and came home shorn".

I'm not the biggest fan of the Tri-Stars talking like hillbillies but I'm even less of a fan of everyone talking the same as they do in this translation. We all talk differently and when fiction doesn't reflect that it's hard to buy into it to some degree. We get it, these guys are the antagonists. It doesn't mean they all need to sound pompous every time they open their mouth. It's like they're trying to make it sound Shakespearian and failing.

One of the biggest changes storyline wise is a a look at Federation's Newtype scientists, who boil down to a group of men who see Amuro as a test subject. There's some brief scruples about publically experimenting on the Federation's current hero but it's overriden by their desire to experiment on him. One of the group refers to the 'Flanagan Organ'...so more kookiness.

The extra is a comic and personal letter by Yokusaru Shibata focussing on his visit to Yas' home and how amazed he is that this living legend, even in old age, produces something of the quality of The Origin all by himself.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gah, you got yours already?!

I have no problem with the dialogue being poetic, 'cause that's pretty much what a lot of Japanese dialogue is like, but I'm pretty sure that analogy you listed is less translation and more Tanaka trying to be cute. That's the kind of nonsense we all railed against during the 4Kids days.

I'm really looking forward to seeing all the new changes or at least how the Jaburo arc fits in here.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I take it it's karma for Vertical being yet to use a TZ quote on the back cover

The wording really bothers me. I speak different to you who speaks different to GWO, etc. The fact that all the characters speak in this weird old timey way....gah. The Tri-Stars are an apt example of this because, per a dub that Tomino was consulted on, they speak like country bumpkins. Yet here they are being just as eloquent as Char or Ral. The project seems to be running with 'How would I word this?' as opposed to 'How would this character word this?'. It's like when you read a bad fanfic where someone has just typed how they and their friends would speak in an AIM chat and attributed the dialogue to established characters. It doesn't work because you know how those characters act and speak.

As for new stuff- I think the most interesting has to be a look at the Federation's lackluster Newtype research lab who jump on Amuro as a guinea pig.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, FedEx delivered my copy a full day before Amazon said it should arrive. On a Sunday, nevertheless! I love all of the little changes. The inclusion of Tachi, Sleggar leading a GM team, the numbering of the GMs (up to a #105 from what I saw), and more of the kids. Kikka, Letz, and Katz causing a big ruckus during Revil's speech was hilarious. I love how all of the brass are falling over themselves to protect Revil and he is not phased in the least. I love Garcia Romero, so it hurt to see him go. Still, Romero had a Hell of a death scene. It's kind of funny, but I always expected the comedy relief character to do to M'quve, but here M'quve is steadfastly tasteful, if arrogant. I hope Romero's is voiced by Nakao Ryuusei, Chiba Shigeru, or Takagi Wataru. Either of those three would be perfect for whenever the animated version comes around.

Since most of the volume takes place in South America it's interesting to see that M'quve and Romero's forces are so close to one another. M'quve's Odessa is in Texas, right? I think one of the continuities had it in Europe, but if the Black Tri-Stars are supposed to be switching between the two commanders it makes sense for their territories to be closer together. It makes me wonder if Romero and M'quve have any other peers on Earth and where they are stationed?

The doctors testing Amuro was a nice bit. I wonder if those drugs were meant to try and 'control' him? It's clear they had no qualms with dissecting him so I doubt they would be against using drugs to try to control him. Perhaps a precursor to Artificial Newtypes? Hmm...

Seeing the GMs already with such a legion of pilots was interesting. It makes more sense that there would be time to train pilots at Jaburo on simulators. I hope we see the GMs in more action before the big space battles. In retrospect, with the Jaburo arc occurring before the Odessa campaign we should be able to see the GMs in land warfare, eh? That shall be far more interesting than what the 1979 TV series and films portrayed. I think the decision to swap the order of events really strengthened the overall story. As it has been said, the Zeon really feel like a threat in these opening three volumes. There is a sense that if the Zeon are not winning the war they are at the very least on equal footing with the Federation. At this point the White Base, while making waves, has only defeated one enemy commander, Garma. Even with the fall of Garma it is not like the Zeon lost North America. Using the Jaburo arc as a mid-series climax was a genius idea. The White Base finally arrives at Jaburo, but the battle is just beginning. The Federation has only been bidding its time, now it's going to unleash it's new GMs and take the counteroffensive. I find this to be quite an exiciting turn of events. The Zeon have had their chance to end it all, now it's Revil's time to strike back. I can't wait to see how Revil has M'quve run for cover.

Speaking of Generals, Elron was in this volume! I wonder if Elron was Tachi's source of intel? I haven't seen the cartoon series so all I know is that Elron was a traitor but I am unsure of to whom he was running to. It makes sense that there would be traitorous generals in the Federation, though. A general finding his cozy life threatened so he turns to his enemy for a chance to gain nobility? That's pretty much what the Titans wind up doing a few years down the line, anyway.

Once again these water colors are awesome. I don't particularly care for color in comics, but Yas is perhaps the one comic artist to really know how to use them. It's a shame his fights are still so damned indiscernible. I can't tell what the Hell is going on! I'm glad there was more of a focus on dialogue this volume.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Jaburo arc finishes up. I was hoping the volume would end with the White Base Launching, ala the end of Soldiers of Sorrow, but I guess Yas had other plans. I am really looking forward to reading these flashback volumes, specifically regarding the Battle of Loum. I have a very Stardust Memory image in my mind when I think of the scope of that battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I always appreciated the comedy in MSG and was glad to see The Origin kept that one officer trying and failing to slap Amuro. Part of the reason I find Wing and SEED difficult to watch is it has more of what I term 'anime comedy', which basically just hinges on limited animation embarassment or in Wing's case really awkward lines from Duo. Tomino related UC stuff always has this amusing way of getting comedy from bureaucracy, like the ship captain miming hurting Quess' father in CCA. It's this perfect blend of cartoony slapstick with elements of reality.

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Mark your calendars for March 22nd: this twitter post from AnimeJapan (the new name for Japan's massive anime industry trade fair, following the end of the schism between Tokyo International Anime Fair and the Anime Contents Expo) is saying that the next Gundam anime will be announced on a stage event during the expo. Given how long ago The Origin was first announced, I'm thinking the odds are in its favor.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Come onnnnnn Cagalli series!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    https://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/n...legacy-effects

Could the project actually be G-Reko as a Japan/US co-production?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently 'g-reco.net' has been registered, which fits with domains being registered a few months before a title announcement.

I'll be interested if I was right. It'd be near impossible but I'd be interested to see them let Tomino do a story about what happens in a Gundam world AWAY from mobile weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently Sunrise have registered gundam-san.net.

Gundam comedy gets animated?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That or it's the Japanese 'three'. Hmmm~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Apparently the preview page for the next month's Ace says or heavily suggests it's going to be The Origin

I'm sure I can look forward to Gundam The Origin Ace bonus issues reusing previous freebies...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Perhaps we shall see the reveal of the core staff of the animated version, hmm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll be directing. After a global search, Tomino felt confident he'd found someone who could be as pissy and bipolar about Gundam as himself.

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://www.gundam35th.net/

Looks like we'll finally be getting an announcement on March 20th concerning the anime.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ooh, that logo!

I hope we learn who the main staff are. I kind of doubt Tomino is involved, mostly because The Origin is Yas' baby. I'd really like to see Yas as the Series Director or Chief Series Director with a younger talent as the Series Director.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    With recent news tidbits I haven't been sure what to think about what will be announced the week of AnimeJapan, so I've settled for being an optimist and assuming we'll hear something about The Origin AND G-Reko that week. If G-Reko really is a copro project, damn...that's crazy ambitious. Guess we'll find out soon enough. Wouldn't mind finding out that Tomino is working on more than one thing also, though!

A pair of interesting asides. First, the Barnes and Noble bookstore chain - one of the significant carriers for The Origin manga release in the U.S. for sure - did a test run where they sold GUNPLA model kits in a select few stores. This apparently worked out well, because word's getting around today that they're expanding in earnest to do this in 400+ stores across the country. It's unclear how much this will draw on classic Gundam, the titles prominently mentioned are Build Fighters and Gundam Wing (big shocker) and Unicorn. But the potential is there. This is the first major coup for Gundam merchandise in the U.S. in quite a long time.

Second, the publisher Kadokawa is launching its own major digital manga initiative March 22nd, a service that will be called Comic Walker. Details here. The idea here is to draw on titles published in a host of manga magazines and offer them for free each week, and charge for the right to read the archives. Only 40 of the starting titles will be in English at first but Kadokawa's intent is to make its catalog available in Chinese and English and Japanese, with the intent to add French to extend its global reach even further. Gundam is one of the properties front and center in all this, so this will be a situation well worth keeping an eye on.

Oh, one other observation. It seems it's a very open fact now that The Origin is considered successful. Vertical's been open about that here and there, there's the vol 1. reprinting, and in a recent interview industry veteran Carl Horn acknowledged this himself. We freakin' did it, I guess! There was never any question Vertical would finish publishing the comic, but now at least things are on track to get possibly more releases of this kind from the publisher.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, Gunpla returns to major American chains. I still haven't returned to the local hobby store that was selling Gunpla. I hope my local Barnes & Noble gets a few.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It begins: a teaser trailer for the Gundam: The Origin anime project was ran during a livestreamed 35th anniversary event in Japan. What I can say with confidence is that this is not a television anime after all, and that as the trailer indicates it is something that will be released in more than one part...starting in spring 2015 (there is a Fall 2014 Gundam project, what Tomino himself is working on). Basic google translation of this Japanese press release seems to indicate four "movies", but format and length are unclear in this time where good English translation isn't yet available and chatter is, for the moment, all there is to go on (some of which isn't consistent). There seems to be an early impression that this is a work that is fixated on Char and Sayla, though I would take this with many grains of salt for now. But as you can see from the trailer chapter 1 is most definitely about their childhood - and the downfall of Zeon Zum Daikun.

The official Japanese website is here, though there is not much to see yet and the trailer is locked for a Japanese audience there. The below is an official working youtube upload via AnimeChannel.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This bites. I was hoping for a new TV series for The Origin. These movies/OVAs look just as bland and boringly directed as Gundam Unicorn. :|

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast