Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    HellCat is online now Sincere charlatan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    We're talking about a country that eats up constant rehash of 0079. I'm not sure why the show should be expected to move fast when there's a ton more going on at Side 7 in this take. Heck, SEED is huge in Japan and the two shows in that franchise move at a snail's pace. As Yas says in that quote roughly, part of The Origin is rooted in nostalgia. People are gonna want to see classic moments revisited. If anything rushing is the exact opposite of the spirit of The Origin because it actively bucks the pacing of a television show. That's what makes the take so compelling and it's a spirit I want to see transition to the animation. The Origin is about characters first, mecha and battles second.

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hmm, that last point resonates particularly strongly with me at the moment. It could perhaps pace a bit faster or differently than the manga, but there's actually a fantastic general guideline for The Origin anime and it's Space Battleship Yamato 2199. How to explain this... certainly there are differences in the nature of Gundam and Yamato & the way their stories play out. But something that's true for both is that the trials and experiences of the people on Yamato and White Base are as important a part of the story (at least) as the adventure of the ship. Even in the original Gundam I found that this gets across to a fairly impressive degree, and to my mind the job done on that count is something that helps give first Gundam an edge over most of its cousins. Of course, everything in new Yamato looks cool too, but it's also constantly taking time to develop something somewhere (on both sides!) even in episodes where the plot emphasizes combat the most. That's something the Origin anime should do also, especially if we're going to get extra insight into the One Year War and Zeon in this compared to the original with a faithful following of Yas' narrative.

Though there is still time, I suppose I should brace for fall 2014 just to keep expectations & anticipation in check. I want to believe they'll work it out and deliver for Gundam's 35th anniversary.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Last edited by Jacob T. Paschal; 06-03-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Boop.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I like that they try and keep people's spirits up right until that last bit where they give up the facade and call the idea of licensing more Gundam a waste.

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The situation's not BAD, what it is is uncertain. It's not uncommon for print runs to drop off for manga after the 1st book. It can be OK if support holds steady. Whether that happens remains to be seen. I certainly hope so.

I get the impression from their commentary over time that best place to preorder from in the states is B&N. Presumably because demand = copies in stores I'd say. I've noticed they do manage to price match Amazon. I will probably shift entirely to there from volume 3 onward.

If anything that blog leans toward "good news" as last I heard, the worry was Origin wouldn't move well in bookstores and they'd get smacked hard with costly returns. Apparently this did not occur.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The best thing the paying Gundam fans can do is be willing to buy more than just one copy of each release. It's a lot easier to take care of yourself than convince others to buy the books.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Now you too can pre-order Kidou Senshi Gundam: THE ORIGIN volume #5: Char & Sayla. Arriving at a bookstore near you 11 March 2014! This and volume #4 are what I really cannot wait to read. I can't wait to see the major changes here.

GoldenSaint is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It'll still be the same core Gundam story but I've enjoyed seeing the small touches introduced to bring the narrative to a higher level of cohesion, including fleshing out secondary or tertiary characters from the original TV show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has volume 2 shipped in the US yet? Got a note from Amazon UK that my copy was on the way but not sure when I'll see it. Our regular postman hasn't been seen for a month and whenever he isn't doing the route the stand ins never take parcels out with them.

FireStarterLE is offline You don't want to see us mad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My RightStuf order is "On Order".

Amazon.com, as well as barnes and noble .. for a second reference .. says it doesn't release (in the US I guess??) until this Tuesday, the 25th. That would at least explain why RightStuf doesn't have it in stock yet