Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Lelouch is offline Fallen Prince
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

The show is fun. Ridiculous, but fun. Definitely not as good as Geass, but I wouldn't say it ever gets into GSD (ep40 and on) levels of bad. I'm wondering, though, are we getting a R3? It seems pretty impossible to resolve everything in 2 episodes.

GoldenSaint is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelouch View Post
    I'm wondering, though, are we getting a R3? It seems pretty impossible to resolve everything in 2 episodes.
    Frankly, I wouldn't count on a sequel. This series isn't too popular nor commercially successful enough to get one.

They might throw the audience a small bone with something else later, but another full TV season is very unlikely.

I'd be content enough to eat my own words though. Just trying to be pragmatic here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dalek View Post
    Everytime I give Valvrave a fair shake (like above 6 or so), you say ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL
    Well, what can I say? Sometimes I agree or there's little to discuss. Or I'm just too busy and/or lazy.

Not that there's been any real back and forth here, but all I'm doing is highlighting points for debate.

Re: Infodumps

The audience knows more than any individual character and this episode cleared things up for them, not us.

Re: Magic

The writers haven't cared about realism to begin with....in a silly show about space vampires.

I'm not saying it's not sloppy form, but it makes sense through the Transitive Property of Equality.

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 23

Ah, that was actually very good. There's still a lot to go through before the series can settle on its future world that we've seen bits and pieces of, but with as well as the pacing surprisingly worked out in this episode, and the note that it ended on, I'm actually a lot more optimistic for the finale than I was prior to this.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not too bad, I did like it better than the previous episode. I'm not expecting lots of focus on the future stuff though, just enough to make an epilogue after whatever they do with the Haruto vs. Cain fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenSaint View Post
    Not too bad, I did like it better than the previous episode. I'm not expecting lots of focus on the future stuff though, just enough to make an epilogue after whatever they do with the Haruto vs. Cain fight.
    Same here, it's just a matter of reaching that point without rushing. Which, after this episode, seems perfectly likely.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 24 (Finale)

Huh. Still probably the best the series has been, but I was still expecting a little better for the finale. Oh well, for those of us who have stuck through it for two seasons, we really can't expect much more.

Most of this episode was pretty predictable with all the foreshadowing we've had to this point and how the plot pretty much has to play out with one episode left, but there were some moments that weren't, and most of it still worked pretty well. I do like the development of most of the Karlstein kids, and Q-vier continuing to be like he was did fit him, I suppose. Cain would've had some decent points about the Magiuses if they weren't acting so villainous, although the genocide was still a bit much. Haruto and L-elf working together like that to win was a pretty fitting way to close it out, though. And hey, it was pretty, if nothing else!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My opinion on the finale is closer to GingaDaiuchuu's position rather than Lord Dalek's approach. Definitely not great and admittedly more rushed than what I'd prefer, but not too bad. Frankly, I have to say there wasn't much of a surprise for anyone at this point and thus most of my conservative predictions came about. In the end, Valvrave was a crazy ride with lots of ups and downs, where I enjoyed the journey more than the destination.
    Spoiler:
    Q-Vier finally got what he deserved, which is a good thing, and the battle with Cain was alright, even with the typical friendship speech involved. Can't say I'm much of a fan of his robot's design, but at least it came across as enough of a threat. I'd say Haruto and L-Elf had a pretty nicely done final scene together too. The most cynical folks can make crude jokes about it and all, but that doesn't really matter to me. That said, I was never a big fan of the protagonist himself either and it's hard to get truly emotional over it. I suppose it also works as a fitting end because we could see this sort of resolution coming, especially given the precedent of Marie's fate and the increasing rate of memory loss.

Concerning the future content, I wasn't expecting much more than a short epilogue with Saki and the kid, so that's basically what happened after a brief montage. Oh, but who could possibly be that little boy, the Prince? All things considered, he should be a descendant of L-Elf, given the obvious physical resemblance and what a couple of other throwaway scenes implied. I'm not losing any sleep over not having an explicit confirmation of his identity though. It's almost besides the point.

In the end, I would say the effective role of the flashforwards was just to be a partial framing device and as confirmation that somehow, someday L-Elf and the other Space Vampire folks were able to fulfill that final pact with Haruto on the moon, even if this show obviously couldn't portray the whole process within the allocated time. Which is a shame, since that empire-building phase could have been potentially more interesting than the rest of the story. I guess that's the typical fate of many series that were effectively cancelled when they were just getting to the most promising stuff, so to speak, and Valvrave isn't any different.

Now, this does leave the one future scene from episode 7, which suggested a new conflict with an unknown enemy came about, as an unused hook for a sequel that isn't going to happen. Can't deny it comes across as sloppy and disappointing, but pragmatically speaking...I can't see how they could try to address that now and not make things worse. You either follow it up with another season, or there's no point. That said, I'd argue episode 23 had already made it sufficiently clear what promise Saki was still trying to fulfill, so the whole bit with the pendant isn't much of a mystery at all. Who else could be in the pendant but Haruto himself?

In terms of what happened with the Magius threat in the present and so on, that's another part of the ending that was evidently rushed through. They weren't really great enemies or anything, but it's not particularly satisfying to see them get wiped away in seconds, even if the narration explains this actually happened after a fair amount of time. I'll admit the concept of ARUS turning against them still works, at least in theory, but this really needed a lot more screen time or, again, part of another season.

One of the other things which seems to have enraged some folks is what happened to Shoko, since the masses were clamoring for her death for no good reason, but I felt the character's new role is appropriate despite the cheesy nature of the scene and the final message. She realized her attitude towards Haruto was wrong and tried to make something constructive with her life in his name. The usual stuff.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7