Quantcast
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
    Gold Guy is offline Long-eared grinch?
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I thought the dub for Madoka was really good, especially considering that many of the VAs were pretty new.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Dark Paladin X is offline Dub and Johnny Yong Bosch fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    Neon Alley ends on April 1st, 2014. Viz will shut down the linear service in favour of transitioning their entire digital video (dub+sub) strategy to Hulu and Hulu Plus. As that video platform IP blocks any foreign users, Viz has stated that they'll share plans for an alternative platform "soon". Since the definition of "soon" is subjective, I'm going to assume Canadians might be waiting a while.

I have to wonder where this leaves Viz in the anime business. Prior to Neon Alley's creation it wouldn't be wrong to say that the company had an anemic release calendar. They were pretty much peddling the latest episodes of Naruto, Bleach, and Pokemon without much else. Having a subscription service to promote forced them to acquire, and dub a tonne of shows I suspect they otherwise wouldn't have. With that gone, will they return to being the NBP company?

While I'm disappointed that the service is coming to a close, I'm not surprised. An attempt to broaden the consumption of anime within the casual fanbase is a noble cause, but Neon Alley always had a flawed execution. Their goal was to create a channel surfing-esque discovery platform via a linear feed, but Neon Alley wasn't a TV network. It wasn't even part of a larger IPTV platform. It was a standalone service users had to specifically download, and subscribe to. That's a big barrier to entry if you're attempting to rope in casual fans, and a bigger blow to trying to create a channel surfing discovery platform. And yeah, the lack of an on demand component until fairly recently was a poor decision. Even when implemented the execution was off, as it was geared more towards existing subcribers that missed a recent episode rather than a user joining in for the first time.
    You misread the article. Neon Alley isn't ending, they're just switching over from a monthly subscription linear schedule that airs dubs, to a free video-on-demand service that includes dubbed episodes and subbed streams and simulcasts (think of it like your Verizon or Comcast on-demand thing in your cable). Neon Alley will still exist, just in a different format.

Think of it like this, all the subbed simulcast and streamed anime will be available for free while a set number of dubbed episodes will be available for a limited time.

Although I do understand why you Canadians are upset since Hulu lock out Canadian viewers.
    Avatar: Enju Aihara, dressed in a cute orange maid outfit from Black Bullet.
    Favorite video game genres: MMORPGs, jRPGs, strategy games.
    Favorite dub voice actor: Johnny Yong Bosch, Sandy Fox, Bryce Papenbrook, Christine Marie Cabanos
    English dub fan
    Loli lover for life!

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    No, it's ending. All of its soon-to-be former programming (including simulcasts) will be transferred to Hulu and Hulu Plus.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Dark Paladin X is offline Dub and Johnny Yong Bosch fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post
    No, it's ending. All of its soon-to-be former programming (including simulcasts) will be transferred to Hulu and Hulu Plus.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone
    No, the only thing ending about Neon Alley is the monthly subscription linear schedule fee. They're are using Hulu and Hulu Plus video players for the free video on-demand streaming Neon Alley will still exist in a different format. You guys are just associated this change as them abandoning Neon Alley in exchange for Hulu.

You also fail to note that Neon Alley is actually expanding their services that will include subbed anime (including simulcasts).

I don't wish to argue with you further, but you want an extended discussion about the change, feel free to discuss with me at Twitter or at my profile page.

EDIT: I'm also leaving out this FAQ from their website for the matter if you have concerns. If you have problems with Neon Alley/Viz Media using Hulu, you probably should blame Hulu more than Viz.
    Avatar: Enju Aihara, dressed in a cute orange maid outfit from Black Bullet.
    Favorite video game genres: MMORPGs, jRPGs, strategy games.
    Favorite dub voice actor: Johnny Yong Bosch, Sandy Fox, Bryce Papenbrook, Christine Marie Cabanos
    English dub fan
    Loli lover for life!

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415