Quantcast
    Dr. Daedalus is offline Souter made us do it!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Toon Zone Talkback - "Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040": Wreck of the Robots

Like This Thread!
    This is the talkback thread for "Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040": Wreck of the Robots.

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This series is probably better scripted overall than the original series, but it doesn't hold a candle design and animation-wise. And the original Bubblegum Crisis was actually just getting warmed up when the OVA production was prematurely cancelled at episode 8.

And no, Crash doesn't count.

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I quite enjoyed that series.

I personally prefer some of the designs in this one compared to the OVA. Particularly Lina.

It's been long enough that I don't really remember everything I liked about it but the story as I recall was pretty solid though not particularly unique.

For the latest Toonami news and programming discussion, listen to the weekly Toonami Faithful Podcast

Check out an exclusive interview with Boondocks and Black Dynamite director LeSean Thomas

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This series is a lot like a poor man's (or would it be poor woman's?) Ghost in the Shell but oddly I enjoyed this more than any entry in the GITS franchise. I guess the lighter touches brought into the series helps distinguish it a little more. The ADV dub is also one of ADV's better ones, it's very well done overall and all of the characters sound unique, at least to me.

It also has some of the best animation of a late-90's anime series. While it still falls short of, like, say Cowboy Bebop, BB2040 at least manages to look as good as Outlaw Star did when OS' budget got to kick into gear. I also think the characters look pretty damn good though yeah the unique appearances from the 80's version are kinda gone, though I think the 90's designs are overall superior, they actually still hold up today. But the intent was to modernize and retell Bubblegum Crisis for a new audience and I think the show accomplished its task.

At the very least, the show has an ending.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"