aegisrawks is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

DBZKai's Nicktoons Vs Cartoon Network Debate.

Like This Thread!
    Sorry to make YET ANOTHER thread about this subject. But this has been burning in my insides for quite long.

So long in fact, that this was just going to be an angry rant where I was going to go bananas on the "WE WANT KAI ON CN. NICKTOONS SUCKS" faction. But a voice in my mind said "Wait". And I decided that to make this more than a blind rant (That would have gotten me banned on first post).

And Now.... the topic to end it all.... NICKTOONS VS CN.

First things first.

EDITING.
    This is the number one complaint people make about Nicktoons, and the one where there's a tie with CN.Yes ,a tie. Because admit it. Cartoon Network would have edited the show too.e Dragon Ball Z Kai is waaaaaay too brutal to make it to American Television unscathed. Okay, CN would have probably given it a PG V rating and called it a day. And yes, even on Y7 they allow A LOT like Blood and the like. But get this: Nicktoons edited the show to the extent they did so they could air it on Daytime without problems,marathon it and give it all the love it deserves (More on this in EXPOSURE). And for all the editing they did, they have also showed MAJOR balls.

Next in Line comes....

EXPOSURE AND RATINGS.
    This is where Nicktoons beats CN By a landslide. True, in the golden age of Toonami, CN LOVED DBZ. But times have changed and CN is not what it used to be. In today's CN DBZKai would have found itself in a lone slot on saturday mornings at best. Nicktoons? Even now after it finished, they still air it quite trigger happily on weekdays like Toonami of old.This is why Nicktoons had to edit it so much.

And you might say: "Well, DBZKai doesnt get as much ratings as it would have on CN!"

Okay this is where it gets complicated.
    On Nicktoons DBKai stands alone as the highest rated show Nicktoons has ever had with 750.000 viewers at its prime. However that's with a lot of promotion and careful scheduling. CN would have probably just put it on saturday mornings without any promotion and it would have sunk like all anime post Toonami.

Thus I think DBZKai was quite lucky to get rejected by CN! Nicktoons makes a much better home for it. But that's just me, what do you think?

Dragnatek is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really very few people would call Dragon Ball Z Kai on Nicktoons horrible after seeing the CW4kids edit. Really people thought Kai could not be edited more after Nick got their hands on it but then cw4kids went and did that.

Anyways I have defended Kai on Nicktoons from day one just like i defended Naruto Shippuden on Disney Xd from day one. Were both shows edited more then they would have been on Cartoon Network? Yes but are they over edited and given pointless changed. My personal opinion no and so I can still defend them.

Though you know GT seems less edited then Kai on nicktoons did. I don't remember the Cartoon network edited version so I have to ask is nick just airing that edited version or did they edit it further? Really I don't remember. Though it would not surprise me if it's the same version that aired on Cartoon Network since that's what Nick did when they aired the movies.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Huh. I feel like I'm back in 2004 right now.

It is my opinion that exposure wins, every single time, especially these days. Whatever editing Nicktoons had to do was trivial. DBZ remains a violent show and the degree of blood being shown, quite frankly, has minimal connection to artistic integrity. DBZ Kai itself cut back on the original show's violent content a bit on Japanese television.

Edits were (past tense) a significant problem when they insulted the viewer's intelligence and/or transparently altered things in some misguided attempt to coddle kids. That era is long over, and unedited anime is more widespread and available than ever. More power to Nicktoons, and I wish they'd carry even more anime beyond this.

Cartoon Network should NEVER have let the property get away at all, but oh well.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Hawkeye is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aegisrawks View Post
    EDITING.
    This is the number one complaint people make about Nicktoons, and the one where there's a tie with CN.Yes ,a tie. Because admit it. Cartoon Network would have edited the show too.
    When FUNimation went back and redubbed the Saban/Pioneer episodes, Cartoon Network ran them uncut 5 days a week in the evening one summer (I think it was summer at least). Later, they also ran the uncut episodes from the beginning on Saturday evening Toonami. (However, it should be noted that they eventually switched back to the edited version. The reason wasn't content, instead it was pacing issues causing the early episodes of DBZ to be low rated when run once a week).

That all being said, while I wish NickToons would loosen up a little, I don't have a problem with their run of DBZ Kai overall. They give the show a lot more exposure than Cartoon Network would if they had the show these days. Its just too bad that it hasn't let to NickToons picking up more anime.

Cartoon X is offline Lum the Forever
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    When FUNimation went back and redubbed the Saban/Pioneer episodes, Cartoon Network ran them uncut 5 days a week in the evening one summer (I think it was summer at least).
    Yep. July-October 2005. 67 Uncut episodes. Good times, good times.

I don't think the editing on Nicktoons is bad. If you wan't to see bad editing, the Saban dub had got everything beat out. At least the quality of Dragonball Z Kai's dub makes even the Toonzai episodes bearable to watch!

aegisrawks is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope that the hiatus hasnt killed the momentum of DBZKai!