Nikkolas is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force

Like This Thread!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4jjnSgY9kc

So I just finished watching Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force for the second time.

My thoughts:

GF is way better than CC. It doesn't have the slow start and it has a lot of continuous action. They do a great job at hammering home how nigh-unstoppable the Geno Breaker and then the Death Stinger are.

In addition I enjoyed Hiltz as the villain a lot more than Prozen. He was around since the first episode and he was almost always there in some capacity. Usually it was just to toy around with the hereos but it was cool because he pulls off the "smug villain" routine really well. It helps that he had every right to be smug since he was in control for damn near the whole season.

Ky favorite Zoids are probably the Death Stinger, the Genosaurer and the Ultrasaurus. The first and third are obvious why but the second I love because the whole Zoid is a BFG. This is obviously a glaring weakness but it's just so cool to see the entire thing transform.

They never did address what happened to Rosso and Viola did they? It looks like Rosso at least was wiped out by Hiltz.

The music in the anime is very good. Still think the best theme is probably that of Raven/the Deathsaurer but there are several great tracks.

The dub is...well, it starts off pretty bad but I think it gets up to tolerable and even decent levels later on. I liked that Irvine was voiced by the same guy as Domon from G Gundam.
    I also loved Hiltz's voice. I loved everything about Hiltz really.

So that's me. How about you all? You seen the anime?

GatorMan92 is offline Milk...Cereal...Combine.. .
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen and enjoyed both shows, but it sucks that buying a DVD of either show costs you an arm and a leg.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember watching both Chaotic Century and Guardian Force on Cartoon Network. They were both really fun and the action was pretty good. I haven't seen either series in ages, so I'm not sure who my favorite characters would be. It is a shame that it's so expensive to get Zoids on DVD. If they were re-released with a cheaper price, I would definitely buy these series.

A.Magik is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I remember seeing CC/GF on Cartoon Network. I watched Zoids Zero first, but eventually preferred CC/GF for its story and characterization. For almost a year, CN refused to show the four-part conclusion, always looping back to the beginning. I was fortunate to record much of the second series at the time. I also prefer GF with the older Van (what an outfit!), Raven getting a grayer characterization, and Irvine's love story with his Zoid.

I think those two survived. The ending had them included in the group picture.

Did it appear that Hiltz murdered Raven's family?

ensatsu-ken is offline "Come and get it!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This series certainly brings back memories. I enjoyed watching it myself, and I actually did re-watch it a couple of years ago and still thought it held up fairly well.

On the point of Prozen and Hiltz, honestly I found Prozen to be a much more interesting villain. He wasn't great by any stretch, but at least he had some political ambitions and I liked his back-story and how it intertwined with that of other characters, namely Raven. Hiltz on the other hand just wanted to bring chaos to Planet Zi. That's really all there was to it....that was kind of a bland and tired motive, IMO. I did think his voice actor was surprisingly good in the role, and you could say that he came off as more threatening than Prozen, but honestly I thought he was a pretty boring villain for the most part.

As for CC and GF, I kind of have mixed feelings about which one is better. I definitely feel that GF got off to a much better start than CC due to already having the main characters and the world they live in established pretty well, while CC had to take quite a bit of time to set that all up. However I found that CC got a lot more interesting in the 2nd half of its run, whereas GF honestly started losing steam by its second half (though it picked up the pace with the final 5 episodes, IMO).

Overall, though, I really enjoyed both series and I do typically think of them as one large series rather than 2 separate shows. I would like to have watched the show in Japanese with English subs, though. I myself typically am fine with watching things dubbed, and as someone on this thread has stated, the dub in this show grew to be tolerable, but MAN was it bad when it started out. That's the one thing I came to realize hasn't aged too well about the show. The English voice acting is really weak for most characters (with just a few exceptions aside) until much later on into the series when the voice acting starts to show a little improvement, but even then it still sounds pretty weak, IMO.
    Animation Revelation: Taking Over Cartoons One Step at a Time

Check it out!

The Man in Black is offline I have 5 of broats
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Zoids is definately a "toyetic" anime done really freaking right. It's not impossible but a lot of merchandise-based series these days don't even make a slight effort to try.

I loved Zoids and it was cool to be able to watch it before I had to hop the bus to high school every morning.

EroSennin is offline The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I loved this show and absolutely hated how Cartoon Network treated it. For years they didn't show the final 4 episodes and then when they finally announce they are gonna show them they screwed up and showed the first 4 instead. Thankfully I bought the series on DVD years back
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."

ensatsu-ken is offline "Come and get it!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Really? I remember them announcing the final 4 episodes and then getting to see the final 4 episodes on Toonami. Perhaps I missed something, though, and they ended up doing something like that before.

As for me, I remember that I used to watch the show when it aired on weekday mornings at 6:30 AM and it was the only thing that I ever looked forward to in the morning (its also largely responsible for making sure that I got up for school on time :anime: ). I was always bummed out about how I had to wait for so long just to see the final 4 episodes, but when CN finally did show it, I'm glad that they at least got them to air on Toonami in the afternoon, instead of trying to force them onto an early morning block like they did for the rest of the show, which I wouldn't have been able to catch on TV past 7:00 AM since that's when I left for my bus.
    Animation Revelation: Taking Over Cartoons One Step at a Time

Check it out!

The Man in Black is offline I have 5 of broats
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep. And they announced it with one of those types of TOM promos that I love so much and hope to see return.

EroSennin is offline The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yea I believe that promo was in response of them screwing up the previous week when the final 4 were originally to air but we got the 1st 4 instead.
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."