Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SpaceCowboy is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Space Cadet View Post
    Ah yes, I do remember reading about Lupin VIII. I'm glad that show never got off the ground. Also, I forgot about the rights holders suing over Lupin's name. I feel that they could have gotten around it if they tried(didn't they call him Wolf at one point)?
    "Wolf", "Cliffhanger", and "Rupan" were alternatives that were used by different companies after the lawsuit. Bits and pieces of the franchise came over on home video by the early '90s thanks to Streamline Pictures, but TMS seemed to have a real problem getting the series a TV deal. They managed to get "Galaxy High" on instead, a series they produced for American audiences.
    I also wonder how Mobile Suit Gundam would have done if it came in the mid-80's. I know Gundam Wing was super popular but when the original series came next, I do remember some people being turned off not just by the age of the show, but by the tone. Plus, unlike Robotech, the show would have had sequels to keep in going in syndication.
    I read somewhere that Harmony Gold had once considered bringing Gundam over, but ended up licensing Macross instead because it wasn't tied up in rights issues at the time. It's possible Bandai Japan had their own plans then. There was that DoozyBots fiasco that thankfully never aired. LOL

Wasn’t Dr. Slump all set for his sea voyage; tickets bought; luggage on board; yachting cap on head, only to have the boat set sail while he bent down to tie his shoe?
    Yeah, Harmony Gold made a pilot that never lead to anything.
    Last edited by SpaceCowboy; 04-24-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
    "Wolf", "Cliffhanger", and "Rupan" were alternatives that were used by different companies after the lawsuit. Bits and pieces of the franchise came over on home video by the early '90s thanks to Streamline Pictures, but TMS seemed to have a real problem getting the series a TV deal. They managed to get "Galaxy High" on instead, a series they produced for American audiences.
    I read somewhere that Harmony Gold had once considered bringing Gundam over, but ended up licensing Macross instead because it wasn't tied up in rights issues at the time. It's possible Bandai Japan had their own plans then. There was that DoozyBots fiasco that thankfully never aired. LOL

Yeah, Harmony Gold made a pilot that never lead to anything.
    I didn't know that about Harmony Gold and Gundam. Yeah, personally, I think HG(or some other American company) would have kept the Mobile Suit Gundam name, but would have combined the three series(MSG, Z Gundam and ZZ Gundam) together to reach the 100 episode syndication threshold. We would be taking about MSG: The Zeta Gundam Saga.

HG also did a test dub for Dragonball which didn't go anywhere.

Sonic_Eclipse is offline Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If "Fairy Tail", was airing on a more mainstream network unlike FUNimation Channel, I think if given the right promotion and time slot it could easily be a hit. I really want Nicktoons to pick up the rights to this show, I'm honestly surprised they haven't snatched up more shows from FUNi's library with the success they've had with DBZ.

I honestly believe if "Gurren Lagann" had been released back in the day on Toonami with Gundam and DBZ, it would've been a huge hit. I still wish it had aired on CN or Nicktoons instead of SyFy, sure it would've had some edits but it would've got the exposure it deserved.

"Shaman King", is another anime that probably could have been more successful if it came out back in the golden days of Toonami. Hell if it was released during the time when Saturday morning blocks were actually watched it probably would have fared better.

Yes "Sonic X" leaves much to be desired and the 4Kids dub is so so. But this show still manages to retain strong ratings for the CW4Kids, despite the show ending its original run on FOX back in 2006. As a Sonic fan I often wonder how big of a hit Sonic X could have been if it aired on CN or Nick.

Super Sonic is offline Fastest Thing Alive
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic_Eclipse View Post
    If "Fairy Tail", was airing on a more mainstream network unlike FUNimation Channel, I think if given the right promotion and time slot it could easily be a hit. I really want Nicktoons to pick up the rights to this show, I'm honestly surprised they haven't snatched up more shows from FUNi's library with the success they've had with DBZ.

I honestly believe if "Gurren Lagann" had been released back in the day on Toonami with Gundam and DBZ, it would've been a huge hit. I still wish it had aired on CN or Nicktoons instead of SyFy, sure it would've had some edits but it would've got the exposure it deserved.

"Shaman King", is another anime that probably could have been more successful if it came out back in the golden days of Toonami. Hell if it was released during the time when Saturday morning blocks were actually watched it probably would have fared better.

Yes "Sonic X" leaves much to be desired and the 4Kids dub is so so. But this show still manages to retain strong ratings for the CW4Kids, despite the show ending its original run on FOX back in 2006. As a Sonic fan I often wonder how big of a hit Sonic X could have been if it aired on CN or Nick.
    Even with a boatload of edits Gurren Lagann wouldn't work on Nicktoons. For one thing, the way both DBZ Kai deals with death is entirely different from the way it's approached in GL. It would not work. You can't market that show to American kids. GL on Toonami though would've been a no-brainer.

Plus GL had a ton of popularity among fans on the internet when it was airing in Japan anyway. Not saying that's as big as it could've been if it was on a bigger channel than SyFy later on, but it's definitely something. The Japanese producers were actually telling American fans at conentions to just watch the fansubs since there was such a huge audience interested in the show and it hadn't yet been licensed by Bandai, since it was still airing new episodes in Japan.

And I don't see your point about Sonic X. FOX is a major network available in over 100 million households in the country. Putting it on CN or Nick would've only limited it's exposure...

Sonic_Eclipse is offline Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Sonic View Post
    And I don't see your point about Sonic X. FOX is a major network available in over 100 million households in the country. Putting it on CN or Nick would've only limited it's exposure...
    Yes FOX is major network, but most FOX affiliates didn't carry the 4Kids TV block, they either off loaded the block on their MyNetwork affiliates or aired the block even before 8am. Its a well known fact that even on Saturdays Nick, CN, and Disney were getting better ratings than blocks like Fox Kids or Kids'WB, it still shows now with the CW4Kids.

Now if Sonic X had been in a time when kids actually watched Saturday Morning blocks on networks like FOX, I would agree with you.

Divinenega is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic_Eclipse View Post
    Yes FOX is major network, but most FOX affiliates didn't carry the 4Kids TV block, they either off loaded the block on their MyNetwork affiliates or aired the block even before 8am. Its a well known fact that even on Saturdays Nick, CN, and Disney were getting better ratings than blocks like Fox Kids or Kids'WB, it still shows now with the CW4Kids.

Now if Sonic X had been in a time when kids actually watched Saturday Morning blocks on networks like FOX, I would agree with you.
    Sonic X is actually the most watched thing on 4Kids CW timeslot and one of the highest streamed kids shows on youtube so I wouldn't really constitute it as "missing exposure". Heck 4Kids had Japan make a third season due to how popular it was.

Shaman King on the other hand is an...interesting point. I also agree it might have done better on Toonami, but I don;t think it;s really possible to gauge how much that show succeeded or failed unless someone has the rating numbers from back then. It got away with a LOT of violence for a SAM timeslot, so much so that parents complained about it and it;s most likely the reason the dub only had one TV run in the US (shame since it was definently one of 4Kids better dubs). I know the manga sold well here so it may have been pretty popular during it's run.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Darker Than Black would have been up there with Cowboy Bebop in terms of popularity in my opinion had it been made 10 years earlier.

Manga4life is offline DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Even though many would consider Claymore a "hit", I think the show could have done a lot better if Funimation promoted it a bit more. Those who've seen it seem to have loved it, I feel as if there was a lot of potential to make this show a bigger smash than it was and believe there was a lot more money to make there. Same goes for the manga.

Casshern Sins is another show that was spectacular and really could have pulled in a bigger audience had Funimation spent a few dollars on promotion. People tend to like post-apocalyptic stories and this show had that in spades, along with a great story and interesting animation.

Yeah, I have a....

Blog! Latest blog entry 1/2/2013 - "Valiant Entertainment: The BEST publisher in comics today!"

I have a Twitter, follow me!

River26 is online now Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd have to say Super Robot Taisen, it didn't gain as much attention (it was at 0% at best). That's why you don't see the SRT games in America, only just DW Gundam franchise.
    Zeta26's DA Profile (yoroshiku!) ^^

Join in the PS4 discussions ^^ http://www.toonzone.net/forums/video...ulation-5.html

Steiner is offline Dark Lord of the Sith
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by River26 View Post
    I'd have to say Super Robot Taisen, it didn't gain as much attention (it was at 0% at best). That's why you don't see the SRT games in America, only just DW Gundam franchise.
    Well to be fair, the reason you don't see SRT games released over here (aside from the 2 they did) is due to all the licensing issues.
    "Yub, yub; Commander." Lt. Wes Janson, Rogue Squadron

Butterstar is offline Bring Sakura back to the US!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Doraemon. It's a cute family show for all, but probably due to the length it's obvious by now no one is going to license it in the US, and not even most fansubbers are up for the job.
    TOONAMI: Every Saturday night on Cartoon Network, 12-6am. No excuses for not watching allowed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2