Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

In FUNi's Q&A chat today, Charlene Ingram said there are "big plans" concerning Panty and Stocking to be announced. Interesting...
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

NewcomerDC is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HG Revolution
    In FUNi's Q&A chat today, Charlene Ingram said there are "big plans" concerning Panty and Stocking to be announced. Interesting...
    The "big plans" are probably related to a big merchandising push ala 'Sailor Moon' despite it having just the manga being rereleased and the absence of a new dub for the series.
    I don't need a signature. I'm too cool for one. LOL

Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They've announced the English cast for PSG.

Chris Sabat will be Garterbelt. I SO CALLED IT!

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Comedy Ice Review Revue
    I review stuff on HubPages.

Butterstar is offline Bring Sakura back to the US!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In case you didn't see it on FUNimation's Twitter/YouTube/Facebook/dog/wherever else they're posting this or the Adult Swim boards, the English dub trailer for Panty and Stocking is out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXvppV7HccI
    Last edited by Butterstar; 04-30-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Guess the URL changed on me. Updated!
    TOONAMI: Every Saturday night on Cartoon Network, 12-6am. No excuses for not watching allowed.

PC!
    PC! is online now lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Black Piccolo?

I am so down with that it's not even funny.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    FWIW, Karl & Daedalus, my understanding is that P&S w/ Garterbelt was upscaled for HD and that the Blu-Rays that came out in Japan were not very good. It's also not all that detailed or fluid by design most of the time, so it may not be the best idea to hold out for a moderate improvement at best.

It may be a different story for other Kadokawa properties, but remember that holding out on DVDs sends more than one message...the one FUNimation gets could well just be "all right, this show didn't work".
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    FWIW, Karl & Daedalus, my understanding is that P&S w/ Garterbelt was upscaled for HD and that the Blu-Rays that came out in Japan were not very good. It's also not all that detailed or fluid by design most of the time, so it may not be the best idea to hold out for a moderate improvement at best.
    Wait... the Japanese Blu-ray was upscaled? Isn't that a rarity? It's my understanding that Japan tends to get the best possible image quality for obvious reasons. Kinda weird that it wouldn't have been the case this time.

It may be a different story for other Kadokawa properties, but remember that holding out on DVDs sends more than one message...the one FUNimation gets could well just be "all right, this show didn't work".
    And this is the constant dilemma of the DVD buyer and studio relationship. If you hold out for a later release, the studio might think there's no interest for the show/movie. If you buy initially, there might be a better version later, and nobody likes to double dip. And it inadvertently supports initial mistakes/omissions.

Of course, the ideal solution for lack of miscommunication as to why a show/movie doesn't sell is just to release it the "final" way the first time. But that's an unrealistic expectation, I guess.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If the Japanese Blu-rays are upscales that means the series was animated at 480p. I guess they didn't want to put forth the dough for such an untested product.

I hear Chiba Shigeru and Ise Mariya are in this series, so I might give it a gander if I can.[/always late to the party]
    Last edited by Jacob T. Paschal; 05-01-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Fixed typo.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal
    If the Japanese Blu-rays are upscales that means the series was animated at 480p. I guess they didn't want to put forth the dough for such an untested product.

I hear Chiba Shigeru Ise Mariya are in this series, so I might give it a gander if I can.[/always late to the party]
    Chiba plays the big bad and it is quite the performance.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

aegisrawks is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post

I hear Chiba Shigeru and Ise Mariya are in this series, so I might give it a gander if I can.[/always late to the party]
    They are also in Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo. But I very much doubt it is your kind of thing.

KarlOlson is offline Art Imitates Life
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, it would seem some digging is in order then. It would be worth figuring out whether PSG was animated in 480p or not. If it was a standard def show, Blu-Ray is a waste anyway. In fact, FUNi should find that out, because if they can make the case "hey, this is the actual quality of the show," at least in this case, they might salvage sales.

That said, I think FUNi has their finger closer to the pulse of otakudom than you'd expect. If people told them at panels and cons they were passing over titles that didn't have blu-ray releases, they'd pick up on it and relay it. They'd also be able to look at aggregate sales data and see that DVD only titles might be lagging across the board vs. combo releases. They are a very dynamic and insightful company in that regard.

GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    FUNimation wisely marketing Garterbelt with a clip from the Transformers episode. Wonder who's voicing not-Optimus and not-Megatron?

I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    FUNimation wisely marketing Garterbelt with a clip from the Transformers episode. Wonder who's voicing not-Optimus and not-Megatron?

Yeah, I can't tell with those voice effects combined with their imitations of the real voice actors (I assume). The latter is Chris Rager perhaps?
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2