Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario

I think it's more likely that the 4Kids dub would available online since there's only one complete dub out of the three series. Plus, they would need to get as much money as they could by putting the uncut dubs on DVD. Funimation didn't do that. They completely redubbed the seasons 4Kids did and didn't re-release the 4Kids version. I'm sure that the 4Kids dubs would be available online, but I don't know if there's a good chance anything besides the DM dub and Bonds Beyond Time being released on DVD.
    No that wouldn't be fair to the 4kids who have been loyal to the dub for the last 10 years. I believe that it would be the same without Dan green as yugi. And it Be more reasonable if they subbed instead of redubbing the whole thing. Have the 4kids dub online like Is good but they also need to provide the DVD realeases to the loyal longtime fans. Companies these days need to think cheap money spending in this economy if they want to stay alive. One piece was an exception because the 4kids dub was absolutely horrible and jumped a lot of episodes too.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Kids4EverFandom View Post
    No that wouldn't be fair to the 4kids who have been loyal to the dub for the last 10 years. I believe that it would be the same without Dan green as yugi. And it Be more reasonable if they subbed instead of redubbing the whole thing. Have the 4kids dub online like Is good but they also need to provide the DVD realeases to the loyal longtime fans. Companies these days need to think cheap money spending in this economy if they want to stay alive. One piece was an exception because the 4kids dub was absolutely horrible and jumped a lot of episodes too.
    Considering that in the span of ten years, there has only been one complete dub out of three Yu-Gi-Oh! series, I don't think that there has been that much fairness for people who have only watched the dub to begin with. I have my doubts that there are a lot of loyal longtime fans of the dub considering that the later DVD releases, especially for GX, were clearly doing so poorly that 4Kids didn't even bother trying to have DVDs for 5D's. Although, their really poor financial state didn't help them out in that regard either, but if there were a significant number of loyal fans of the dub, then the sales would have been better and they could have at least made some effort to get a DVD release for all of their dubbed episodes. The closest they got was with DM and despite being the only successful Yu-Gi-Oh! series, it still has an incomplete DVD release. At least the demand for uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! eventually led to the legal subs and possibly the inclusion the subbed version of the anniversary movie in the UK DVD release. I like Dan Green and I thought that he did a good job as Yugi, but I'm more than willing to see if another actor could do well in that role. At least he wouldn't be replaced during the show's production, unlike with the original cast of Pokemon, and depending on where the new company is located, he may not be able to get the role anyway. I just would like to see a more faithful dub of the past three series.

Another reason why I don't think that the 4Kids dubs would be released on DVD is due to GX and 5D's. Neither series actually has a sense of conclusion, although I'll give 4Kids credit with their attempt to provide some closure in their finale for 5D's, they didn't have good ratings and neither were that popular. The DM dub has the best chance to be re-released due to being the only successful Yu-Gi-Oh! series thus far, but even then I think it's more likely that they'll put them online instead. The new company wouldn't want to take the time and money necessary to re-release a series only to for it to tank. Given that the history of dub Yu-Gi-Oh! on DVD has, I doubt that the re-releases would actually sell well. I'm sure that whoever gets the license will release the anniversary movie and maybe the DM dub at best, but even then I have my doubts about the latter. When I mentioned about actually getting DVDs when this announcement first came up, I was thinking about DVDs for the current and future series, the anniversary movie and hopefully redubs at some point.

I know that making a redub would take much more money than re-release the dub and I don't know how many times I've said that I know it isn't too likely to happen, but I think that there is a larger audience for uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! than there is for the dubs. There were those few uncut DVD releases from a few years ago, which were only stopped due to the Japanese voice actor contract issues and raws of DM were uploaded 4Kids' YouTube Channel, which lead to them subbing 5D's, Zexal and the anniversary movie. The only way that the new company would be willing to redub the three previous series would be if they believed that there is a strong enough demand to warrant those costs and made them believe that they would get plenty of money back. I think that there is a demand for it and depending on who ends up with the license, I think that they could redub the last three series at some point, but that wouldn't be until after they get their own dub for Zexal up off the ground and get money off the ratings and merchandise for that series as well.

As for One Piece, many people would also say that the DM dub was horrible. I think it was their second worst dub. The main advantage it has over their One Piece dub was that DM was actually successful, although that probably would have been the case regardless of who dubbed it, if only for the card game. Personally, I thought that it was much more watchable with some effort put into the voice acting as well, but that's just me. Though, the One Piece dub gets much more hatred, which is why it was ignored after Funimation got the license, but given the success of the DM dub, it, along with the other 4Kids dubs, will probably be available legally online at some point.

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post

As for One Piece, many people would also say that the DM dub was horrible. I think it was their second worst dub. The main advantage it has over their One Piece dub was that DM was actually successful, although that probably would have been the case regardless of who dubbed it, if only for the card game. Personally, I thought that it was much more watchable with some effort put into the voice acting as well, but that's just me. Though, the One Piece dub gets much more hatred, which is why it was ignored after Funimation got the license, but given the success of the DM dub, it, along with the other 4Kids dubs, will probably be available legally online at some point.
    I've stated this before but if DM mean Duel Monsters I actually think it's one of the far more tolerable 4kids dubs. When I first saw Yu-gi-oh I thought the dubbing was very awkward but then I saw the Japanese version and I realized Yugi's odd pre-puberty voice was similar to Dan Green's performance. The other thing about the dub is despite some odd accents (Joey and Bakura) and overacting most of the voices actually fit the characters and it was nice to see Eric Stuart in a role where he was showing more range than his Brock/Gourry voice. By the time 4kids got to One Piece much of the quality control they had during the Pokemon and YGO era was gone and the dub in and of itself was an unsalvageable mess with glimpses of decent casting (Zoro and Chopper) but overall a complete wreck and going against the bar set by the companies other dubs which were all, at least, watchable.

O-chan
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O-chan View Post
    I've stated this before but if DM mean Duel Monsters I actually think it's one of the far more tolerable 4kids dubs. When I first saw Yu-gi-oh I thought the dubbing was very awkward but then I saw the Japanese version and I realized Yugi's odd pre-puberty voice was similar to Dan Green's performance. The other thing about the dub is despite some odd accents (Joey and Bakura) and overacting most of the voices actually fit the characters and it was nice to see Eric Stuart in a role where he was showing more range than his Brock/Gourry voice. By the time 4kids got to One Piece much of the quality control they had during the Pokemon and YGO era was gone and the dub in and of itself was an unsalvageable mess with glimpses of decent casting (Zoro and Chopper) but overall a complete wreck and going against the bar set by the companies other dubs which were all, at least, watchable.

O-chan
    I agree that their Duel Monsters dub is more tolerable and their is effort put into the voice acting that tends to work out pretty well. I actually like the majority of the voices they chose for the characters. When I said that it was their second worst dub, I was thinking more about how unfaithful it was to the original version with completely changing the bulk of the storyline. Some of it they needed to change, like Mairk's backstory, but many changes were, in retrospect, really unnecessary. One Piece was much worse though.

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's no way a company called "Kidsco" is going to do an uncut dub of Yu-Gi-Oh!
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    There's no way a company called "Kidsco" is going to do an uncut dub of Yu-Gi-Oh!
    The chances aren't too likely, but I don't think it's impossible, especially when a company called 4Kids did end up providing legal subs for two Yu-Gi-Oh! series, uploaded raws of DM before that and had uncut DVDs for a brief time, although I think that Funimation had more to do with that than 4Kids did at the time. Considering the amount of legal subs 4Kids has been able to provide, I don't think it would be a good move for the new company to completely ignore the demand for uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! and at some point, if the demand is strong enough, I think redubs could be possible. Though, like I've said many times before, I would be okay with at least legal subs for the various series and I fully recognize that those are more likely to happen than redubs, but I can hope and dream at least.

Besides that, Kidsco hasn't officially bought the license yet. They're just the first company to bid on the license and for all we know, other companies could bid on it. I'd love for Funimation to pick it up, if only for more stable DVD releases and making the idea of redubs slightly more possible, but I think Viz Media trying to get the license would be more likely. They already license all of the various manga titles and getting the license to the anime would give them more money. Though, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with Viz handling the anime due to their history of dropping shows without ever finishing their series or their DVD releases, but I would hope that they would manage Yu-Gi-Oh! better than that if they did get the license.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao
    I agree with that term. Because even though if there is a demand for subs, I highly doubt that they would just go back to the beginning redub it regardless of the demand because it would cost way to much money. Subbing is cheaper and best business decision! I know that it's not the confirm buyer but since they've been in the talks I think kidsco has a better chance at this. But this of course is my theory! Fans of the show will have to accept that it will never be redubbed, especially since its name is KIDSCO, and it focuses kids brands not for older teens and adults, so I believe its no use no matter what!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I agree with that term. Because even though if there is a demand for subs, I highly doubt that they would just go back to the beginning redub it regardless of the demand because it would cost way to much money. Subbing is cheaper and best business decision! I know that it's not the confirm buyer but since they've been in the talks I think kidsco has a better chance at this. But this of course is my theory! Fans of the show will have to accept that it will never be redubbed, especially since its name is KIDSCO, and it focuses kids brands not for older teens and adults, so I believe its no use no matter what!
    It would be expensive, but if they think it would be worthwhile to spend that much money to gain more profit, then I think that they could do that. While Kidsco are the first company to bid on the license, that still doesn't guarantee them the license. If it did, then 4Kids wouldn't have allowed for other companies to bid on the license and just sealed the deal with Kidsco instead.

4Kids primarily focuses on kids, but they still ended up making subs for the older fans of some of their shows, so I don't see how it's so impossible for Kidsco, which also primiarly focuses on kids, to continue providing legal subs or redubs. That's why the argument doesn't really work for me at this point. There's clearly a profitable audience for uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! and if there wasn't, 4Kids would have stopped their subs for 5D's and Zexal a long time ago. Even if it is cheaper than dubbing an episode, subbing still costs a significant amount of money, which 4Kids couldn't afford to waste away by the time these subs started. I do hope that the next company who gets the license won't go back to ignoring that audience like 4Kids did for a long time. I wouldn't be so negative about the chances of a redub, especially when the chances of releasing the 4Kids dubs of DM, GX and 5D's on DVD are probably even less likely to happen than redubbing those same series. It isn't likely, but I wouldn't say that it's completely impossible and it's never going to happen.

powergate92 is offline Power Rangers and Stargate fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Something to note is "KidsCo" is just a name for KidsCo Media Ventures LLC which, like SCG Power Rangers LLC, is just a company for Saban to own the shows (copyrights, trademarks) under. When the press release comes out it will most likely say Saban Brands.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, I just have a thought. If they were to do an uncut dub and the 4kids dub will still exist, what if they release in 2 DVD formats? One uncut DVD and the other 4kids DVD format. It's just like what funimation did as well. What are thoughts on this perception? Agree?
    IIRC, that's actually the approach they took when the uncut DVDs started back in '04, having them put out alongside the edited DVDs (which is where that rumor that they suspended the uncut DVDs because of their competing with them came from). It'd probably cost too much money to have to put out both versions, instead of just having the edited dub on TV or online and an uncut dub out on DVDs (like with DBZ:Kai, except FUNi just dubs it uncut from the start and then edits it for TV, whereas 4Kids watered it down from the start).

Still, it'll be interesting to see who ends up bidding the highest for the license. Would be nice if FUNi or VIZ got in on this, but I guess we'll see.
    My Yu-Gi-Oh! GX/5D's Comparison Site (5D's 1-55, 65-66, 71-73 up)

Gorbash is offline Munchings & Crunchings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope the DM dub remains as is. Yugioh is a stupid show about card games being taken seriously. It's the most outlandish idea ever, and was a marketing ploy from the very start. I don't care how unfaithful the dub was because the concept isn't something I take seriously.
    Who needs a signature when you have a floating head? I do!

There's a presentation about being stupid down by the way, you should check it out if you know what you're doing.

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    I hope the DM dub remains as is. Yugioh is a stupid show about card games being taken seriously. It's the most outlandish idea ever, and was a marketing ploy from the very start. I don't care how unfaithful the dub was because the concept isn't something I take seriously.
    The second anime series (which is the one we got in North America) definitely is a "Let me sell you some trading cards" kind of show, but the Yu-Gi-Oh! property didn't start as some kind of profit driven manga about selling cards. It had good intentions with just using generic games, but eventually money calls.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Shift is offline Brave Warrior of the Sea
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GymLeaderLance99 View Post
    (like with DBZ:Kai, except FUNi just dubs it uncut from the start and then edits it for TV, whereas 4Kids watered it down from the start).
    To be exact, they record the uncut lines and their edited counterparts at the same time and then edit the broadcast video to match, but your point still stands.

At this stage in the game, there's not a lot of incentive for anyone to redub any significant amount of the past YGO series. If it's choosing between a quick buck from the crowd fueled by simple nostalgia of the original dub, or trying to rope in the nebulous diehard fanbase who may bite at an uncut dub if they're so inclined, with one option costing significantly less money than the other, which do you guys think they'll chose? We should even be so lucky as to get that much, and hoping they go above and beyond the call of duty is a pipe dream at best.

Storyboard Artist for The Sonic Fan Film

Gorbash is offline Munchings & Crunchings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    The second anime series (which is the one we got in North America) definitely is a "Let me sell you some trading cards" kind of show, but the Yu-Gi-Oh! property didn't start as some kind of profit driven manga about selling cards. It had good intentions with just using generic games, but eventually money calls.
    Oh yeah, I know about that. It doesn't stop DM from being utterly ridiculous in every right. The manga is good (first 13 volumes I think, and the first series too.)
    Who needs a signature when you have a floating head? I do!

There's a presentation about being stupid down by the way, you should check it out if you know what you're doing.

aegisrawks is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope saban will give more exposure to yu gi oh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope that kidsco/saban will not redub because there's no company including them to have incentive to do the whole series over again since it would be over expensive. Its likely that subs on hulu will happen just because its cheaper than just redoing the whole series by using a major significant amount of money. Last I heard saban/kidsco barely and rarely redub any anime that they own. So we may be in luck that redubs won't likely to happen!

I really hope that saban will make the series popular just as the card game itself once again. They just got keep marketing DVDs for kids and teens who have watched the show online or on tv! Plus I hope they can release zexal DVDs DM DVDs and bonds beyond time DVD, to also keep generating marketing money for distribution and to succeed to what 4kids could not!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I hope that kidsco/saban will not redub because there's no company including them to have incentive to do the whole series over again since it would be over expensive. Its likely that subs on hulu will happen just because its cheaper than just redoing the whole series by using a major significant amount of money. Last I heard saban/kidsco barely and rarely redub any anime that they own. So we may be in luck that redubs won't likely to happen!
    I still think that there could be more than enough incentive for them to redub the last three series. The fact that there are subs up on Hulu shows that there is an audience for uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! and there were those uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVDs from a few years ago. It's cheaper to just to subs and I honestly would be okay with just that, but I don't think that a redub is impossible. Saban still isn't the official buyer yet and I kind of would like to see another company bidding for the license. Not because I don't like Saban, but I'm just more interested in what other companies would want the license and how much it would eventual go for. I understand that you don't want redubs, but I would appreciate it if you didn't act like it was so terrible. I know it's pretty unlikely to happen, but I don't see the problem with hoping for that to happen. Believe it or not, there are people, besides me, who would like to see a more faithful dub of the last three series. I don't like how you've reacted to just the idea of redubs like it's so horrible. Either that or I'm just tired of going around in this circle with both of us basically repeating the same points in our opinions over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Kids4EverFandom
    I really hope that saban will make the series popular just as the card game itself once again. They just got keep marketing DVDs for kids and teens who have watched the show online or on tv! Plus I hope they can release zexal DVDs DM DVDs and bonds beyond time DVD, to also keep generating marketing money for distribution and to succeed to what 4kids could not!
    I'm not sure if the anime can be as popular as the card game again. More exposure could help get more kids aware of that the anime is still around, but I think too much time has passed for the anime to be that popular again. Regardless of who eventually gets the license, I do hope that they'll be able to treat the franchise better than 4Kids has in the past few years. Despite being one of their few properties with some life left in it, they haven't been able to give a complete dub since DM and they haven't released all of the dubbed episodes of any Yu-Gi-Oh! series on DVD. Hopefully, the new company will be able to provide actual DVD releases at a stable rate, along with at least keeping the legal subs and better management of their legal streaming.

I'm pretty sure that the new company would be able to release Bonds Beyond Time and Zexal as soon as possible. I'm not sure if they would release DM on DVD again, especially if it isn't redubbed. Despite being the most successful out of the 4Kids dubs, I'm not sure if there would be enough demand for younger or older fans to get that dub re-released. At least when they re-released the Kanto saga of Pokemon, it was around the time of the tenth anniversary and I think that there is a generally stronger nostalgic vibe for the start of Pokemon than the DM dub. Though, it helps that I don't think that Yu-Gi-Oh! was ever as popular as Pokemon, even when it was in its prime in terms of popularity. I still think it's more likely that the 4Kids dubs would be available legally online, especially when the DVDs for the last few 4Kids Yu-Gi-Oh! didn't sell that well at all. Though, out of the 4Kids dubs, I think that DM is the only one with a chance of re-released, if only because it's the only complete dub.

I also hope that the new company can eventually shorten the gap between the original and dub version. That was one of the main problems with the 4Kids dubs since the English versions were far behind the cards released in the newest packs and the long gaps were probably a factor as to why GX and 5D's were left incomplete. While I really don't like Zexal, I hope that they could shorten the gap as I think being thirty-two episodes behind is a bit much for a toyetic series. Besides that, it would be kind of nice for one of the spin-offs to get a complete dub, if only so that fans of Zexal can actually have some kind of closure, unlike those with GX and 5D's, and Zexal getting a complete dub would make the chances of the inevitable and hopefully better fifth Yu-Gi-Oh! series getting a complete dub.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I hope so too. Still, I feel sorry for Eli Jay. His first major role and it was taken away from him.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aegisrawks View Post
    Yeah, I hope so too. Still, I feel sorry for Eli Jay. His first major role and it was taken away from him.
    Yeah, that is kind of sad, but it was totally out of his control. Though, I feel pretty bad for all of the 4Kids voice actors. Since 4Kids is auctioning off the license, it's going to reduce the amount of roles they can get and even then, the only show that they'll have episodes to dub is Tai Chi Chasers, if there are more episodes after this season finale. Plus, 4Kids isn't going to be around much longer after this auction, so it will be pretty rough on all of the voice actors and definitely on the rest of the few employees the company has left. I do hope that they'll be able to find new work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I do hope They will find work.Who knows Saban might surprise us and keep using the current cast for Zexal.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast