Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grenzer is offline Well, he's almost a pony...
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Suggestions for a Recommended Readling List for Young Adult Library

Like This Thread!
    Greetings all!

I found myself in a unique position this past week. I volunteer down at the local library, and the new young adults (ages 10 to 18) librarian wanted my input on her manga section. It used to be the largest in the county, but in recent years has grown rather stale and limited. She wants to change that, and she needs my suggestions on what to buy. And that is where you guys come in. I know a lot of titles, but my own tastes can be somewhat skewed towards certain types of manga (shonen, historical fiction), so I am asking for advice on what I should recommend to her.

The only general guidelines is that she would prefer newer titles to older ones (but older ones are not completely off the table) and that it's not overly graphic in content. Other than that, the sky is the limit on suggestions. Any help you guys can render would be greatly appreciated on my part. Thanks again in advance!
    My Fanfic: Tastes great, less filling! (Not the Actual Title) Updated 9/17

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Some picks off the top of my head:

Black Jack: This Osamu Tezuka manga is perfect for a library. It's basically an anthology plot structure; most of the stories stand on their own. It's hard to put down but every long chapter is its own self-contained tale. Most importantly, it's some of Tezuka's best storytelling, consistently entertaining and often thought-provoking. If I had to hand somebody one Tezuka manga and only one to read, right now it would be this.

Cross Game: Sports + character-driven drama collide here in what has been a very sincere, down-to-Earth manga with a healthy sense of humor. I've adored it and Viz's release has left me wanting more of Mitsuru Adachi's stuff. You could see a couple episodes of the anime on Hulu to get a feel for it (disclaimer: you may not want to stop). The last volume comes out in July.

Kimi ni Todoke: This is still being released. The anime was the sweetest shojo romance I'd ever seen, and it's also a positive story about an introverted teen coming out of her shell. Lots of humor too. This is better than Fruits Basket.

Story of Saiunkoku: It's also still being released. The anime was critically panned here, but I liked it and from what I've read so far, it actually does make a better manga.

Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, One Piece: We both know why. I'm guessing your library has at least one already. Alternatives to Sailor Moon could be Magic Knight Rayearth or Sakura Hime: The Legend of Princess Sakura, a pretty well-received series that began in 2008. But I think any good collection is first built on a foundation of classics. I doubt your library has the old SM books, and the new print run is better anyway.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

trunkschan90 is offline Lover of Trunks plushies ^___^
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's my suggestions:
    Story of Saiunkoku
    Sailor Moon
    Kekkaishi
    Bunny Drop
    Cross Game
    Death Note
    Eyeshield 21
    Fruits Basket
    Fushigi Yugi Genbu Kaiden
    Hikaru no Go
    Naruto
    Dragonball Z
    Rurouni Kenshin
    Nodame Cantabile
    Slam Dunk
    Vampire Knight
    Trunks plushie ^_^
    Support AnimeSols
    http://animesols.com/

Gatomon41 is offline Deo confidimus.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What about OEL manga?

I would suggest getting Yotsuba&! by Kiyohiko Azuma. It's a slice of life comedy following a weird if energetic child, learning about the world. While not directed at YA, the humor can appeal to everyone, and the art is beautiful.

I also agree with Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon. If the library doesn't have them, they've already reissued the Sailor Moon manga, so it's a good time to collect them.
    "Truth suffers, but never dies." - Saint Teresa Of Avila

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.” - Salvor Hardin, Asimov's Foundation.

Pro vita quad spes.

savedbythebell is offline Phoenix Wright fanboy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you should list whats already available in the library.
    Now Space Ghost regrets his action. "Why," he says, "do we always hurt the one we love? Why, Banjo? Why? Banjo! Banjo! Baaannjo!"

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Pluto by Naoki Urasawa would be my number one recommendation. Just a great series and a smart adaptation of the classic Astro Boy manga. I'd also recommend Wandering Son by Takako Shimura, which seems like something that would be nice to have in a library given the volumes are so expensive, and Not Simple by Natsume Ono, a single volume manga that should appeal to a lot of readers of tragic young adult realistic fiction.
    Please donate to help with my senior project for school: my senior project! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...ical/x/1210328
    My blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    For the record, they had no volumes of Dragonball as far as I could tell, or Sailor Moon for that matter. They had a lot of Naruto, no One Piece, and maybe a few volumes of Bleach, or maybe not.

About Cross Game, that was one title they actually carried, but they were dumping those volumes for public sale. Nobody was reading it from what I was told. Also, they had no Tezuka manga titles, a volume of Ranma 1/2 (no other Takahashi titles), and very few shonen titles. They definitely gravitated towards shoujo and (oddly) harem series. I'd have to review it again to give you a more detailed estimate then that.

Good suggestions here guys, keep them coming!

savedbythebell is offline Phoenix Wright fanboy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Slam Dunk
    Eyeshield 21
    Yotsuba&!
    Ranma 1/2
    Yu Yu Hakusho
    Sgt. Frog
    Bakuman
    Hunter x Hunter
    Toriko
    Prince of Tennis
    Now Space Ghost regrets his action. "Why," he says, "do we always hurt the one we love? Why, Banjo? Why? Banjo! Banjo! Baaannjo!"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Okay, I sent out the first round of suggestions to the library. Does anyone else want to take a stab at a second round?

Butterstar is offline Bring Sakura back to the US!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Battle Royale manga might be good considering how many kids around that age group are fans of The Hunger Games.
    TOONAMI: Every Saturday night on Cartoon Network, 12-6am. No excuses for not watching allowed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast