Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    defunctzombie is offline Stalemate Resolution Associate
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Toon Zone Talkback - PR: "Arrietty", "Castle in the Sky", "Whisper of the Heart" Coming to Blu-ray on May 22, 2012

Like This Thread!

This is the talkback thread for PR: "Arrietty", "Castle in the Sky", "Whisper of the Heart" Coming to Blu-ray on May 22, 2012.

Interesting. Anyone know if they changed Whisper of the Heart at all from the previous release? I know Castle in the Sky's last DVD had changes compared to the first one.
    LATEST ARTICLE: Samurai Jack: Beyond Nostalgia
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    "Fooooooooooolish samurai!"
    My experiences in Japan as told by comics: my tumblr <3

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ^ No idea, but seeing as how I never got around to buying Whisper in its DVD release, I may get the BD set. Also planning on buying Arrietty.

Angilasman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I am extremely pumped that Disney is continuing with their Ghibli Blu-Ray releases. I'll get every single one of there releases... I mean, why else do I even own a Blu-Ray player?

Means I might have to wait a while to get the Ghibli movies I don't already own on DVD: Yamadas, The Cat Returns, Pom Poko (which I love love love), and Grave of the Fireflies. I want to hold out for the HD versions.

KarlOlson is offline Art Imitates Life
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I will buying whisper of the heart and arrietty ASAP. Now whether I double dip on the rest of the Ghibli titles is another issue.

Shift is offline Brave Warrior of the Sea
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    Interesting. Anyone know if they changed Whisper of the Heart at all from the previous release? I know Castle in the Sky's last DVD had changes compared to the first one.
    Changes for the better, or for the worse?

Anyway, I've already got Whispers (which was very lovely) and Arrietty on Blu preordered thanks to a discount from Amazon.

Storyboard Artist for The Sonic Fan Film

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Changes for the better, or for the worse?
    Kiki and Castle in the Sky originally included added dialog in the dubs where there was none in the Japanese audio. This mostly amounts to jokes and exclamations when characters are running around and such (the pirates in Castle in the Sky had a bunch of these). An added line at the end of Kiki altered a plot point. These additions resulted in several complaints, and in the latest DVD re-releases these were gone from the audio.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    Means I might have to wait a while to get the Ghibli movies I don't already own on DVD: Yamadas, The Cat Returns, Pom Poko (which I love love love), and Grave of the Fireflies. I want to hold out for the HD versions.
    If it helps, My Neighbors The Yamadas is in the catalog for Disney's reward program for around 1000 points (you might already have these points from other Disney discs) and Grave of the Fireflies just got a rerelease recently so you might be able to get an older release for a low price.

Shift is offline Brave Warrior of the Sea
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Kiki and Castle in the Sky originally included added dialog in the dubs where there was none in the Japanese audio. This mostly amounts to jokes and exclamations when characters are running around and such (the pirates in Castle in the Sky had a bunch of these). An added line at the end of Kiki altered a plot point. These additions resulted in several complaints, and in the latest DVD re-releases these were gone from the audio.
    I knew that about Kiki, but I didn't realize Laputa had it too. Changing things back is fine for the most part, except I LIKED the new opening and closing songs for Kiki, and I only hope the Blu version has the sense to include them somewhere. At least I have both movies on DVD already so the differences won't bother me either way.

Storyboard Artist for The Sonic Fan Film

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just waiting until JTurner shows up in this thread.

Honestly, the latest DVD re-releases probably brought even more complaints. As much as the original changes irked purists, they got used to it after a while, and they always have the original Japanese anyway. By taking out some dub lines in the recent re-releases, people who liked the old dubs are now unhappy too. Now nobody is happy.

My opinion is that they did their dubs and now they should just live with it. Trying to change it back years later to appease a small group of people who have probably moved on is pointless.

EroSennin is offline The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice to see they are releasing more Ghibli films just wish one of them had been Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away or Howls Moving Castle. Hopefully we get those soon though. I'll probably pick up Arrietty and possibly Castle in the Sky too.
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaping Larry Jojo View Post
    Honestly, the latest DVD re-releases probably brought even more complaints. As much as the original changes irked purists, they got used to it after a while, and they always have the original Japanese anyway. By taking out some dub lines in the recent re-releases, people who liked the old dubs are now unhappy too. Now nobody is happy.
    Didn't they change Laputa's music as well? If I remember right, the first dub release had a less techno-y feel to it, which a lot of fans liked, but the second release took it out.

Luna is offline Daydreamer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nice!...I'll be getting Arriety (so far the only Ghibli film I've seen in the theater) and Whisper of the Heart (my favorite Ghibli film out of the ones I've seen) for sure....Castle in the Sky is a maybe (I only saw it once,and I don't remember it that well)...
    As for Kiki's Delivery Service,I only have the original DVD version,though I did hear about the changes made to the dub for the later DVD release...
    "Yeah,well,I've got a dream too.But it's about singing and dancing and making people happy.That's the kind of dream that gets better the more people you share it with.And well,I've found a whole bunch of friends who have the same dream.And it kind of makes us like a family." -Kermit the Frog (The Muppet Movie)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by defunctzombie View Post
    Didn't they change Laputa's music as well? If I remember right, the first dub release had a less techno-y feel to it, which a lot of fans liked, but the second release took it out.
    I believe Joe Hisaishi created a new score specifically for the original dub. The second release I guess went back to the original Japanese theatrical score.

Mystifying.

Leviathan is offline "It's against nature!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    IIRC, The issue with the original Whisper release was that closing credits in the Japanese version were improperly framed, and some relevant material at the end was obscured. Hope that gets fixed.

I'm still pining for Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves, the two Ghiblis Disney owns the rights to but refuses to release. Subtitle-only, a double feature, no Blu-Ray, anything, just get them out.
    Zim: "I thought the Tallest killed you."
    Skoodge "Yeah, but I'm all right now."
    Mad Jack the Pirate: "You were DEAD! How do you get better from being DEAD, you Scottish twit?!??"

JTurner is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe Joe Hisaishi created a new score specifically for the original dub. The second release I guess went back to the original Japanese theatrical score.
    That is indeed correct. The Disney dub of Castle in the Sky in 2003 had a richly reorchestrated dub contributed by Hisaishi himself. But purist complaints caused Disney to revert it to the original Japanese soundtrack for their 2010 DVD.

Strangely, though, the BD releases of Castle in the Sky in Australia and the United Kingdom HAVE the new score in the Disney audio track. Sadly, it doesn't look like that's going to be the case for the U.S. Blu-Ray, as the clips uploaded on the page are from the "updated" 2010 DVD release.

JTurner is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just waiting until JTurner shows up in this thread.

My opinion is that they did their dubs and now they should just live with it. Trying to change it back years later to appease a small group of people who have probably moved on is pointless.
    This. I think it would have been even better if Disney included BOTH versions of their dub on the BD release so that viewers can decide which is better, but... it looks like that's not going to happen either. **Sigh**. Oh well. At least I have my 2003 DVDs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    IIRC, The issue with the original Whisper release was that closing credits in the Japanese version were improperly framed, and some relevant material at the end was obscured. Hope that gets fixed.

I'm still pining for Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves, the two Ghiblis Disney owns the rights to but refuses to release. Subtitle-only, a double feature, no Blu-Ray, anything, just get them out.
    I think there has only been one Whisper of the Heart release. It's always been in print, however, which may lead fans to assume it's been released twice.

I have to check out the closing credits in the Japanese version. Is it covering the part where that guy walks home with Shizuku's friend?

Also, I don't think Ocean Waves was part of the Ghibli-Disney deal, since the deal only involves theatrical films. Ocean Waves was a TV movie.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    If Miramax was still around, Only Yesterday might have had a chance, but I really, really, really doubt Disney will release it anytime soon. The nudity in the bath scene might be okay, but that whole part about "girl problems" sounds way out of their comfort zone.

I actually really liked Ocean Waves, so here's hoping that one gets a release (the only thing I can think of giving it a higher rating is Rikako's underage drinking).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is clearly a labor of love for the folks at Disney, who are big Ghibli fans. Maybe they could finagle sub-licensing Only Yesterday to a smaller distributor if the head honchos at Disney don't think it's marketable?

That is indeed correct. The Disney dub of Castle in the Sky in 2003 had a richly reorchestrated dub contributed by Hisaishi himself. But purist complaints caused Disney to revert it to the original Japanese soundtrack for their 2010 DVD.
    Weird. Still, doesn't matter much to me as Castle in the Sky is the only Disney Ghibli dub I have any dislike for. I always watch it original language. Their best dub is Howl's, which I might prefer to the original.

You know Jean Reno is the voice of Porco Rosso on the French language track?

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JTurner View Post
    Which is funny because Miyazaki himself thought the new score was better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast