Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GWOtaku is offline Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

"Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine" Talkback (mature content)

Like This Thread!

Produced by TMS Entertainment, Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is a 13-episode TV series created to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the first anime about Lupin the Third, the master thief created by Kazuhiko Kato (a.k.a. Monkey Punch). Typically Lupin is accompanied on his heists by the femme fatale Fujiko, Jigen the marksman, and the lethal swordsman Goemon, avoiding the pursuit of the persistent Inspector Zenigata. In this series though Fujiko takes a major role, and we're taken back to a time before Lupin had assembled his small gang of thieves. How did Lupin first meet Fujiko, and what happened after that? This show means to answer those questions. Prominent staff include director Sayo Yamamoto (Michiko To Hatchin, Texhnolyze), character designer Takeshi Koike (Redline), art director Seiki Tamura (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, K-ON, Michiko to Hatchin), and episode writer Dai Sato (Cowboy BeBop, Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex)

New episodes will premiere Fridays at 12:30 PM Eastern Time on funimation.com, streaming to the U.S. and Canada; all episodes can be reached through their show page. Downloadble subtitled episodes are also going to be put up for sale on Sony Video Unlimited and Xbox/Zune stores every Saturday. Two episodes have aired so far in Japan, and FUNimation put them both up at the same time today. Episode descriptions follow:

Master Thief vs. Lady Looter

"Fujiko Mine, the devestatingly sexy lady thief who'll stop at nothing to make her steal, has her sights set on a religious cult's secret treasure when a new man waltzes into her life: Lupin the Third. Has our luscious looter finally met her match?"

.357 Magnum

"A war is going down between the Italian and Chinese Mafias, and Fujiko ends up in the middle of it. A mysterious bodyguard named Daisuke Jigen stands at the heart of the matter, but who knows whose side he's really on?"

Comments?
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 1

None of my favorite anime have come from the Lupin franchise, but damn they gave this 40th anniversary celebration and return to TV after over a quarter-century to the right people. Direction and many other duties goes to a major player in Redline, series composition by the scriptwriter of anohana and Toradora!, script by her and a scriptwriter on Cowboy Bebop, Ergo Proxy, and Eureka Seven, character design and animation direction by the guy who did about as much as one person can on Redline, art direction by the art director of all Haruhi anime, music production by Shinichiro Watanabe, etc. That is a damn impressive lineup. Granted, the first episode isn't as good as my favorite work(s) by any of them, but for a franchise that hasn't produced one of my favorites in these past 40 years, a first episode this strong is pretty exciting. It's at least looking to be one of my favorite new series this season and one of my favorite Lupin anime, if not my number one by the end of it. It will be hard to pass the Castle of Cagliostro, but when it may be second only to that after only a single episode, I wouldn't doubt that possibility.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The notoriously picky and super hardcore Lupin fan Ben Ettinger loved the second episode, after being disappointed with the first.

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index....iko-2#comments

Now I'm interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 2

Wow, Fujiko meets Jigen with no Lupin in sight. Definitely never thought I'd see that in LUPIN THE THIRD. I guess that means she'll be meeting Goemon in the next episode? Zenigata has already shown up, so he'll probably just be in whatever episodes Lupin is in. Maybe after the Goemon episode, they'll all be there together. That should be nice. I wonder if Fujiko will introduce Lupin to his usual partner.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If this show plays its cards right, it may well be the next Cowboy Bebop for the current anime generation. No hyperbole. Ironic since Cowboy Bebop was partially inspired by Lupin. Now the Lupin franchise is taking a cue from Cowboy Bebop's stylishness and making an old franchise fresh and sexy again.

With its episodic nature, great animation staff and western-appealing setup, this has the potential of giving the North American anime fandom a shot in the arm. The nudity may be a problem to some, but this is of course 2012.

It's still early though. Still plenty of time to crash into mediocrity.

savedbythebell is offline Phoenix Wright fanboy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man I just watched the first episode and I loved it, what a stylish show.
    If they keep this up it could be one of the best animes I've seen in years.

Also I'm a pretty big Lupin fan and I can't wait for Discoteks release of the first series.
    Now Space Ghost regrets his action. "Why," he says, "do we always hurt the one we love? Why, Banjo? Why? Banjo! Banjo! Baaannjo!"

RayChuang is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've seen both broadcast episodes and it's a very stylish, sexy show--it really feels like the early Monkey Punch Lupin III manga "come to life." The characters have a vastly more "mature" edge than previous TV series, that's to be sure.

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, it seemed like they were going to last a full episode with Fujiko keeping her clothes on this week. They sure love gratuitous nudity, don't they? Not that I particularly mind, especially when it's this well drawn, but it is rather silly and it's a shame this'll prevent it from airing on TV unless Spike or Starz or HBO (do they even do acquisitions?) decides to air it.
    Please donate to help with my senior project for school: my senior project! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...ical/x/1210328
    My blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HG Revolution View Post
    Wow, it seemed like they were going to last a full episode with Fujiko keeping her clothes on this week. They sure love gratuitous nudity, don't they? Not that I particularly mind, especially when it's this well drawn, but it is rather silly and it's a shame this'll prevent it from airing on TV unless Spike or Starz or HBO (do they even do acquisitions?) decides to air it.
    I don't think you'll get those three networks to air it either. Spike(outside of Afro Samurai) isn't interested in anime, Starz is more focused on making original series and HBO(which has done some acquisitions, mostly documentaries) is the same way.

AS seems to be the best bet at this point. In terms of nudity, they blur it now, so there might be a chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 3

I really like the style of the visuals, but they honestly don't look that good in terms of just animation quality. Redline made it work on a much higher level than almost anything ever, and I know I can't expect a weekly series to have the quality of a movie that took seven years to make, but it really seems like they could easily make this look a lot better. I guess between the style they're going for and a certain retro feel I think they must be keeping in mind, this is just the logical way it would end up looking. But do they really have to put those damn scribbles on top of everything? That is one part I don't understand at all. Very strange for modern anime. I watched it in HD and didn't think it looked any better than FUNimation's SD stream, and that's something I never thought I'd be able to say.

Not much to say about the actual episode. About what I expected. Fujiko meets Goemon. Standard Lupin subplot. I am surprised that she was fully clothed for almost the entire episode, though. But of course Goemon's sword-work can only take off clothes, so there goes that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast