Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    Manga4life is offline DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fullmetal Alchemist vs Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Like This Thread!

So, which series did you guys prefer and why? Which one was truly better than the other? For me, it was really hard for me to go into Brotherhood because I was such a huge fan of the original FMA that the thought of me enjoying Brotherhood more was just unimaginable, but then I sat down and watched Brotherhood and I can honestly say that I do enjoy it better than the original. Not a whole lot better, but just slightly because of the stronger animation and the fact that it just felt "different" than the original Fullmetal Alchemist.

I do still hold a torch for the original FMA though, and many of the sad and epic moments of Brotherhood were dulled because I saw them first in the original, so stuff such as Hughes' funeral and Dr. Tucker turning his child into a beast didn't hit me nearly as much as they did in the original show. Any which way, I loved both series and I would certainly recommend either to anyone who wants to get into the genre or who's just looking for a show with a tremendous overall story, but for me the choice goes to Brotherhood because I felt the overall product was just a little better when it comes to story and animation, but the music of the original still shined brighter in my opinion.

Yeah, I have a....

Blog! Latest blog entry 1/2/2013 - "Valiant Entertainment: The BEST publisher in comics today!"

I have a Twitter, follow me!

Divinenega is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Seeing as I read the manga before I watched the first anime, Brotherhood is my favorite of the two since it is the one more faithful to the manga storyline. That being said I do like the original series and despite going off in it;s own direction it did a solid job of doing so and told an excellent story.

Though if I have one major complaint about the old series it's the movie which ultimately accomplished nothing but ruining the ending to the TV series and further kicking Ed in the balls.

Bryangst is offline JERK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really didn't know what to expect going into Brotherhood. I knew that Brotherhood was more faithful to the manga but I didn't read any of it beforehand. So to see the differences between the two develop was really interesting. Either way I am a fan of both series', but I am enjoying Brotherhood far more.
    Last edited by Bryangst; 04-12-2012 at 12:45 AM.

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The original, I just felt that it's story had much more meaning delving into the psychology and philosophy of it's characters. Brotherhood was more of a traditional fantasy show, a good one, but not the greatness of the first show.
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

RockmanDash is offline Retired Das Boom Champion A Simple Day Champion Action Escape Kitty Champion Bee Sting Champion Catnarok 2 : Longcat rampage Champion Karate Monkey Champion Ultimate Mierda Champion Justice Hero Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first twenty five episodes of FMA(2003) was top notch awesome. However, after that the plot just went into a really bad bitter direction that just didn't leave a powerful impact on me at all. It's fine to make a bitter sweet ending that feels realistic, but Bones just couldn't reach that powerful feeling when it was time to conclude everything. The movie was where it was meant to count the most with the ending and I was slightly disgusted with how the characters' fates were handled.

Brotherhood completely got me hooked again to the series and I was really happy with the way the story progressed. We got to see more of the world and all the new characters just made the experience even more enjoyable. I was very, very curious if I was going to like the ending and luckily I loved every ounce of it.

Luna is offline Daydreamer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd give a slight edge to Brotherhood,since I liked the ending more,and since it was more faithful to the manga,some of the characters I liked who didn't make it into the first anime (or only got a brief cameo),were finally animated,like Ling,Mei,and Olivier...
    However,some of the dramatic scenes that appeared in both series were handled better in the original (what happens to Hughes,and what Shou Tucker did to his daughter and dog)...
    "Yeah,well,I've got a dream too.But it's about singing and dancing and making people happy.That's the kind of dream that gets better the more people you share it with.And well,I've found a whole bunch of friends who have the same dream.And it kind of makes us like a family." -Kermit the Frog (The Muppet Movie)

Grave is offline Badguy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Easy answer for me. Brotherhood. While they had their good moments in the original, Ed and Al practically ruined it for me, whereas, in Brotherhood, they are far more enjoyable.

If Ed and Al were tolerable in the original this would definately be a harder decision because everything and everyone else in the original was really good.
    Current Games
    SSF4:AE2012 - Ryu, Dudley, Oni
    3rd Strike - Ken, Dudley, Ryu
    GGXXAC+R - Order-Sol, Sol Badguy, Johnny
    BlazBlue - Jin, Hazama

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The first 25-ish episodes are a better introduction to the series and leave a stronger impact. They pretty much take the manga stories and make them better in everyway.At it's peak it was easily masterpiece material in my opinion. However, after that it all goes to ****.

The first 13 or so episodes of Brotherhood are lackluster compared to the 2003 series version and are a poor introduction to the series. But as soon as it starts to seperate from the first series, it is an excellent watch and stomps all over the 2003 series.

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While I agree with everyone the first series improve upon the manga counterpart, I don't agree with the rest of the story was awful. I've seen many anime that detoured from the manga and FMA was one of the few ones that managed to keep characterization strong and plot engaging. In hindsight, especially after the original movie's ending, and double that once the manga, and second anime was done I could see valid criticisms but at the time I personally felt Bones did an excellent job on the series from beginning to end.

O-chan
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

Manga4life is offline DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like Brotherhood seems to the the favorite among the FMA fans here on Toonzone, I can totally see why too due to its amazing storyline and great animation. I am surprised the original show didn't get as many nods as it did, but I remain a fan of both and will continue to enjoy them for many more years, I'm sure.

Yeah, I have a....

Blog! Latest blog entry 1/2/2013 - "Valiant Entertainment: The BEST publisher in comics today!"

I have a Twitter, follow me!