Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why Rock Lee, why not Chopper or Kon or someone else?

Like This Thread!

How come Rock Lee got a spinoff first a manga spinoff later adapted to anime, why did Naruto in general get the spinoff, is that much mroe popular of the big 3? I thought for sure One Piece is the most popular manga series in Japan. All the rankings most of the time One Piece is on top. So logicly wouldn't One Piece get a spinoff before Naruto?

I thought since he is the mascot of OP, Chopper could headline a spinoff, or maybe a Chopper and Sanji spinoff.

While not as popular, but since they make a lot of omakes for years, and he is featured there a lot, a Kon spinoff would have been awesome. Maybe he could host a talk show or a variety show, and Bleach characters appear as his guests, and we see some random comedy adventures.

Maybe Kishimoto was open to doing a spinoff than the other authors. Maybe they approached Oda first and were turned down, and Kishimoto was next in line.

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Chopper DOES have a spinoff manga. It's even published in the same magazine as the Rock Lee spinoff.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah but I think the question is why there isn't a Chopperman anime out there, outside of the occasional special episode in the One Piece TV series. It's a good question, maybe Toei just figures it's doing enough as-is.

......I'd watch it though. Well, I would if it were like the specials. Rock Lee and His Ninja Pals seems a bit too goofy and twice as long as it should be.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post

Chopper DOES have a spinoff manga. It's even published in the same magazine as the Rock Lee spinoff.
    Oh my bad, I guess I ain't looking in the right places.

Still why not anime adaption like Rock Lee. But as mention before, they are done by different studios. At least Naruto and Bleach are done by the same studio. Toei might just not beleive in that stuff.

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If the Bleach anime was popular enough to get a spinoff, why would the main series be canceled? I don't buy that whole "the anime was getting too close to the manga" junk, since if the anime was popular enough they would've just dropped another filler arch.

I see Naruto SD: Rock Lee's Fun Time existing because Shueshia and Studio Pierrot bought Bleach's timeslot for x amount of years on TV Tokyo. That x amount of years hasn't been completed yet, but the ratings for the Bleach anime have been dropping likes flies in a sauna. There aren't a lot of big name JUMP series without an anime so what do they do? Adapt a spinoff of a successful series they're already making, while at the same time promoting Shueshia's now monthly Saikyo JUMP.

I've seen the first episode of Naruto SD, and it very much feels like it's filler for something else. It shouldn't be a 22 minute weekly series. If it had to be weekly, it should be a short series banished alongside BakuTech Bakugan, and Hyper YoYo Kingdom in the 5 minute run time zone of Saturday mornings on TV Tokyo.

As for a potential Chopper spinoff series, I don't believe Toei, or Fuji TV are interested. One likes to make money by doing the least amount of work possible, and the other doesn't exactly have ample air time dedicated towards anime programming. I'd doubt something One Piece related would air on another network.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

OnePark is offline גורל
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The kids magazine it runs in just started last year. Rock Lee (Naruto SD) got popular because it was humorous. Chopperman wasn't. What is popular get an anime adaption.

Plain and simple.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JustinianFlynn - Complicated name, I know but that means there's some good stuff, right?

RockmanDash is offline Retired Das Boom Champion A Simple Day Champion Action Escape Kitty Champion Bee Sting Champion Catnarok 2 : Longcat rampage Champion Karate Monkey Champion Ultimate Mierda Champion Justice Hero Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    If the Bleach anime was popular enough to get a spinoff, why would the main series be canceled? I don't buy that whole "the anime was getting too close to the manga" junk, since if the anime was popular enough they would've just dropped another filler arch.
    It got 1.5s-2.1s on a 6pm slot, it pretty much bombed with a giant explosion.
    Last edited by RockmanDash; 04-09-2012 at 10:14 PM.

straw_hat is offline Senior Member Monsters in Bunnyland Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah that Chopperman spinoff is terrible.

Daxdiv is online now Hex Girl Yo! Space Invaders Champion
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Put me down as another person that was unimpressed by the Chopperman Spin-off, but adored the Rock Lee spin-off, and this is coming from someone that prefers One Piece over Naruto period.