Kids on the Slope - Series Talkback

Like This Thread!
    Stream
    http://www.crunchyroll.com/kids-on-the-slope

Licensed By
    • Sentai Filmworks
    Trailer

Synopsis
    "The story of Kids on the Slope really starts rolling when the classical piano-trained Kaoru encounters Sentaro and falls head-over-heels in love with jazz. One thing to look out for is the performance scene of an excellent jazz piece in every episode. Up-and-coming young jazz musicians are employed here, with Takashi Matsunaga (Kaoru) on piano and Shun Ishiwaka (Sentaro) on drums. Yoko Kanno produces the sessions, which are then used directly for the anime.

Jazz standards like “Moanin’”, “My Favorite Things”, and “Someday My Prince Will Come” are played along with improvisational performances that reflect the mood of the characters at the time, whether they’re in high spirits, or feel lonely, confused, angry, and so on. How these occasional performances and feelings are portrayed and directed is one more highlight of the show. Director Watanabe’s “sessions” are a mix of images and music, so innovative and exciting visual expressions should be expected."

Edit
    The anime's now online on Crunchyroll with episode 1.

- Premium Members (now)
    - Normal Users (a week later)
    Last edited by River26; 04-12-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Zeta26's DA Profile (yoroshiku!) ^^

Join in the PS4 discussions ^^ http://www.toonzone.net/forums/video...ulation-5.html

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was intrigued by this series, namely because Shinichiro Watanabe is the director behind this and Yoko Kanno is doing the music. The first episode didn't disappoint and I'm interested in where the show will go from here.

savedbythebell is offline Phoenix Wright fanboy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What a great first episode. I can tell this is going to be great.
    Now Space Ghost regrets his action. "Why," he says, "do we always hurt the one we love? Why, Banjo? Why? Banjo! Banjo! Baaannjo!"

GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 2

So both guys have girls they're already in love with. I guess that means everyone will get out of this with a happy ending. Assuming the yaoi subtext doesn't develop, of course. And Sentaro is also a Christian, along with being a jazz drummer. Definitely not the delinquent stereotype you might expect, especially since most of his fights are due to him standing up for someone who needs it.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
    So both guys have girls they're already in love with. I guess that means everyone will get out of this with a happy ending. Assuming the yaoi subtext doesn't develop, of course. And Sentaro is also a Christian, along with being a jazz drummer. Definitely not the delinquent stereotype you might expect, especially since most of his fights are due to him standing up for someone who needs it.
    Given the people involved in creating this show I doubt that yaoi subtext would turn into anything significant but I wonder why it's even there in the first place. Still, with the focus on jazz this show is giving me some serious BECK vibes with a hint of Notabile Cantabile. Definitely a music lovers' anime.

O-chan
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

Lanmanna is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great new show to watch.

Soul is offline Mainly Lurking Now...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I watch the first two episodes last night and...I'm very impressed.
    With this show, it's very much like a big name film director known for doing a particular genre then doing something different. But as you watch it, there are those very Watanabe elements and shots throughout, heck in the first episode when Sentaro was fighting the seniors on the roof, it had that blatant style seen in Bebop or Champloo.

Regardless this show is a period piece and a slice of life show period, and possibly a romance as well? Going on all fronts then.

The music? Oh man, top notch, obviously Watanabe and Kanno both love Jazz and Blues deeply, otherwise...they wouldn't be doing this show, plus if Bebop's score wasn't a given. I see this really putting me onto new stuff within the Jazz genre to listen to.

The ONLY knock on the show would be the odd and random shonen-ai moments between Kaoru and Sentaro, especially the scene when they meet in episode 1 is...just weird, mainly because we see, especially in episode 2 that it this isn't a BL show or anything, so I just found how that scene was done really odd, not like I wouldn't care if that's what the show was; as I said I see Watanabe as I would a film director, so if that's something he wanted to tackle, then okay.

Finally? Guess I'm just interested where the story goes, this could in reality be a 60's Jazz version of BECK, which honestly? Would be great. Plus the romance in the show seems legit. So I'm eager to see more.

GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 3

Well that would have worked out well if Sentaro wasn't such a nervous idiot. Fortunately, Kaoru gathers his courage and manages to get a nice confession out in only the third episode. Love polygons are love polygons, but at least there's some more understanding in this one than there normally would be, and I wasn't expecting that from Kaoru so early on. Nice job, man. Good luck.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really love how this show seems a combo of slice-of-life and music appreciation (think Beck) anime. Having anime's most desired director and composer work on gives this show a nice tinge of authenticity.

Sent from my iPhone using toonzone
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/