Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

"Saint Seiya Omega" Series Talkback

Like This Thread!

Created by Toei Animation, Saint Seiya Omega is an animated sequel to the original Saint Seiya from 1986; the property got its start as a manga by Masami Kurumada in Weekly Shonen Jump. As a part of Crunchyroll's Spring 2012 anime lineup, new episodes will premiere Wednesdays at 4 PM EST.

The first episode is available now for Crunchyroll subscribers; it will be viewable for others starting on 4/11/12. Crunchyroll is streaming the show to the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand. The series page is below:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/saint-seiya-omega

Series Description:
    Saints are champions of hope who have always appeared since the Age of Myth whenever evil threatens the world. They would clad themselves in armor called Cloths, and fight to protect Athena, the goddess who rules the world's surface. Seiya the Pegasus Saint has saved Athena many times, and while he and his friends are Bronze Saints, which is the lowest rank, their battles have been passed down as legend.

The god of war and guardian of his namesake planet, Mars, was once sealed away by Seiya, but time has passed and his revival is at hand. Meanwhile, Saori Kido (Athena) is raising the boy Kouga, whose life Seiya saved, and he's been training every day to become a Saint in order to prepare for the coming crisis... Unaware of his destiny, when Kouga awakens to the power of his Cosmo hidden inside him, the curtain will rise upon the legend of a new Saint!
    Comments?
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Jacob T. Paschal is offline Wolverine by Shida Naotoshi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I was thinking about making one, but I wasn't sure anyone else would follow.

Anyhow, it is great seeing Koyama Mami again. It's a shame she doesn't get a lot of work these days. You can tell she's getting old, though. Damn.

Speaking of old friends, Furuya Tooru! It's great that he's still getting around these days. Additionally, Shibata Hidekatsu! I thought I heard Mars' voice somewhere before. It's Yi Xing Long from Dragon Ball GT and Sarutobi Hiruzen from Naruto!! It's nice seeing him still working, too

Midorikawa Hikaru is pitched too high here, I think. They really shouldn't have tried to get him to play the role like a little kid because he's killing his emotional range.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it! | Dragon Ball Z 2015 Film

Divinenega is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As someone whose only experience with the franchise was Lost Canvas, I have to say this looks to be pretty entertaing so far. Most of it seemed to be the usual battle shonen setup but it seems like it's going for more over the top action than trying to be phisophical or anything like that, which I;d kinda prefer for this kinda thing.

Well I'll probably be sticking with this unless I get bored

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest I was always more into Ronin Warriors, BUT being the big Shonen fan that I am I have to admit that Saint Seiya has always held a special place in my heart. What I'm really happy about is that we got a simulcast since Saint Seiya's reputation in the States is usually pretty poor.

O-chan
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

bigddan11 is offline Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's certainly an interesting start. Kouga has refused to listen to his inner cosmo, and whenever it starts to come out, he decides to run. At least until Mars attacks and he learns who Athena really is. I like the plot. What teenager doesn't have a little bit of rebellion at not wanting to become what their parents think they should? What teenager doesn't want to run and hide when they find something they are good at (outside of sports)? Sure, there are some fantasy elements to it, but the story is going in the right direction from the start, and I find myself caring more about Kouga because I know he's an orphan that has been raised by Athena than I do about most characters when they first debut.

My only complaint is that once again Toei has decided to leave out the next time preview. they did it with One Piece. They did it with Xros Wars. Now they are doing it with Saint Seiya Omega. Why doesn't Toei want people outside of Japan to know what's going to happen next? it doesn't cost any extra to leave it attached to the episode. In fact it's a waste of money to remove it.
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

tinlunlau is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just saw the first episode today and I have mixed feelings about it.
    I don't know if it's just me but it felt like deja vu when Shaina was explaining stuff about the atoms and cosmos to Koga. We the viewers have been through this before. And what happened to Seiya and his boys? I hope we get an answer to that question. Other thing that comes to mind, will we ever get a conclusion to Tenkai-hen? Or has Kuromada-san disowned that movie?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Considering that this cartoon is airing at six-thirty in the morning I have to assume Toei Animation's really trying to aim this at the new generation of kids. Exposition to get these new kids caught up on the story isn't a big surprise, espicially when you consider how little of the spotlight Saint Seiya has had for the past twenty years.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it! | Dragon Ball Z 2015 Film

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Every time Seiya talked in episode 1, I heard an older Amuro Ray from Gundam. It helps that he was practically anime Obi-Wan, appearing just for Kouga to exhort him to use the force awaken his cosmos to attack Mars. I now expect him to reappear as a guide on occasion now, if only because if he actually appeared most of the Saints' enemies would just get annihilated with ease.

I say that because episode 2 basically reveals how this show is likely to be about a bunch of rookies that'll be working to discover their powers, let alone master them. Kouga was pretty clueless about the nuances of a Saint's power until the fire guy clued him in, and that fellow was familiar with the basics and that was it. We do get a hint that there's a far more competent hero lurking in the shadows though, the one that delivered the finishing blow to episode 2's villain.

Naturally it's the main character whose powers are based on the element of light. I bet Mars is Wind and definitely not the dark element, and thus his natural nemesis!

It's about what I expected so far. Can Kouga awaken his hidden powers? Why is Seiya missing and where is he? Will Athena be rescued?! How much training will be necessary to do it?! This is all very familiar to those that have seen this kind of show before, but it's decent fun. I feel a little silly looking at this before the new Hunter X Hunter though. I guess that should come up soon.

Oh yeah, talk about a brutal anticlimax from the 1st episode, after all that buildup and heroic posturing:

Spoiler:

Kouga charges Mars and punches him, gets stopped by a single finger. Ouch.

Start training, shonen!
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Ryusuke is offline SomethingWithTheR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've always been interested in watching Saint Seiya, but I never get the chance to do so. So, this series is probably the closest I'm gonna get. So far, the show's been pretty fun. Nothing amazing, but entertaining none-the-less. Dunno how it stacks up to the original, but I'm enjoying the characters a decent bit at least. I kinda think Koga's VA is acting out of his range, though. He knows where he wants to go, but he just can't get there. Ah, well. Maybe, he'll improve.

And, the opening is pretty awesome. :O
    "Don't take life too seriously; you'll never make it out alive!"
    - Bugs Bunny, "Rabbit Feat" (1960)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Finally caught up. I think the series has really started to come together with episode #8. One of my favorite tropes of shounen is the inexperienced hero facing off with a powerful veteran and we certainly got it here with Ionia having no problem dealing with Kouga. We also have the mystery of just what happened to Saori-san and what Mars is up to finally taking the forefront, which I'm enjoying.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast