Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ryoutarou is offline [Insert title]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BakuTech! Bakugan Begins April 7th

Like This Thread!
    So this has flown under the radar a bit and I only just saw a commercial for it a few days ago while watching Oha Coliseum. The Hyper Yo Yo Burning tokusatsu ends next week and BakuTech! is going to be replacing it. What might be a bit of a let down for fans is that it's essentially going to be a mini TV show. Oha Coliseum is a half hour programming block that airs four TV shows within that time frame, the longest of which were Duel Masters Victory and Hyper Yo Yo Burning at eight minutes per episode, so it's very likely the BakuTech episodes are going to be just as short. I've no idea what this means for anyone hoping of ever seeing the series cross over to the states. (though it would be neat to see it packaged with Beyblade Zero-G since that's also going to have a short 12 minute run time each episode)

http://www.bakugan.jp/anime/ The official site also has the update.

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What's up with Duel Masters? I'm guessing it'll be receiving a new series too?

I wouldn't hold my breath on this series coming over. Nelvana's usually the one to spill the beans on new Bakugan, and there has been absolutely no word about this series coming over. Nelvana's got a tonne of Beyblade to get through, and are working on a new franchise.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's airing right now. It's CG. No way is this being brought over to North America.

Ryoutarou is offline [Insert title]
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh...yeah, there is no way this is being brought over. Beyond the fact that it's using that really weird cell shading/CGI combo, episodes are less than ten minutes each. Weird. I figured Bakugan was a popular enough property for this show to continue in a real format.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryoutarou View Post
    Oh...yeah, there is no way this is being brought over. Beyond the fact that it's using that really weird cell shading/CGI combo, episodes are less than ten minutes each. Weird. I figured Bakugan was a popular enough property for this show to continue in a real format.
    Bakugan was never really popular in Japan, which is why they had that huge gap between the broadcast of Battle Brawlers, and New Vestroia. International success is why the franchise got a second chance.

It's interesting to note that while Baku-Tech gets a shared timeslot, Zoobles (which is basically just Bakugan for girls) has a full 22 minute slot.

I've noticed the nasty CG/cell-shaded trend on Duel Masters, and Hamtaro. We can now throw Bakugan into the mix.

ChibiGoku is online now Something Not Quite Right
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll be honest... this is the first Bakugan series where I literally shut it off not even 2 minutes into the episode. Everything about it... was just terrible. I have never, EVER, been so disappointed in anything in watching anime in my whole life. This is the first one I have ever done this to.

EDIT: Oh, btw, before I forget. This was actually not done by TMS Entertainment. They absolutely had nothing to do with this, as far as I can tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, Chibi-Goku's correct. TMS Entertainment, Nelvana, and Japan-Vistec (companies who produced Battle Brawlers to Mechtanium Surge) have nothing to do with BakuTech. ShoPro, who makes those nasty Duel Masters and Hamtaro shows are behind this. I go way in depth on why this thing won't be going out of Japan on my blog.

Here's the show's opening animation for those wondering what we're talking about:

Doctorhauser is offline Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't know that "Hamtaro" was being done with celshading now... Then again it's being years since I watched that show.

Quote Originally Posted by ChibiGoku View Post
    I'll be honest... this is the first Bakugan series where I literally shut it off not even 2 minutes into the episode. Everything about it... was just terrible. I have never, EVER, been so disappointed in anything in watching anime in my whole life. This is the first one I have ever done this to.

If it's the "CGI trying to look like 2D" what turned you off... obviously you've never heard (let alone watched) a kid's comedy anime entitled "Penguin no mondai" (Penguin's Troubles is the international name) XD... that makes that BakuTech intro look really neat in comparison.

There're some videos in Youtube... I dare you to have a look at them . And yes, it was exported outside Japan... we got it in Spain (the Penguin no Mondai show, I mean, not BakuTech, obviously XDD: way too recent).
    (It actually got 70-something episodes, so I guess that the celshading thing doesn't neccesarily stop a series from succeeding... not even when its art style seems unattractive compared to other animated show.)

So, bottom line, if BakuTech doesn't get to America or Europe, I suspect it won't be because of its animation style, but the short format... and the possibility that the Bakugan franchise just isn't that strong any more.

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhauser View Post
    So, bottom line, if BakuTech doesn't get to America or Europe, I suspect it won't be because of its animation style, but the short format... and the possibility that the Bakugan franchise just isn't that strong any more.
    The episodes are literally five minutes long. Unless they wait for 52 episodes to pile up and then combine them into 13, there's no way this is getting dubbed.

It's not even really the CG that's a turn-off of this series...I saw the first episode as well, and there's practically no plot whatsoever. There was maybe a minute of actual character interaction, and then we get thrown into a Bakugan battle that went like this:

"CRITICAL HIT! STAND! CRITICAL HIT! STAND! CRITICAL HIT! STAND! CRITICAL HIT! STAND! CRITICAL KO!"

And repeat for 4 minutes. I didn't really like the previous Bakugan series, but it at least felt like more thought was put into them than...whatever the hell the writers for this series are doing. Then again, I guess it doesn't help that it is 5 minutes long; they're probably required to have one Bakugan battle an episode, which gives them no time to build character development and plot.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 10/13 - Space Dandy Season 2 Review)

Also on Toon Radio every Thursday at 10pm EST!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I guess you shouldn't really expect much from a show that has an opening song that is literally just "BakuTech" repeated over and over again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast