Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    D Dubbs is offline Wish Upon A Star
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Yu-Gi-Oh!" Toonzai Talkback: Capsule Monsters Arc

Like This Thread!

What starts out as a typical day at Domino High School turns out to be anything but typical. The gang sets off on an exotic trip for four to India, but when their plane crashes in a deserted forest, their relaxing vacation turns into a dangerous game of survival! Realizing that they've become part of a real-life version of the Capsule Monsters board game, the gang struggles to find a way out.
    "If some have learned something that is fine. If others have learned nothing that is fine as well, more importantly...it was fun, right?"
    - Master Norb

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've heard really bad things about Capsule Monsters, so I went in with low expectations.

Anyway, so far it is.... very interesting. I don't think that its as bad as the haters claim, but at the same time, it had trouble keeping my attention.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    It's been so long since I've discussed Capsule Monsters that I forget what kind of negative comments have been said about it. Although, from what I can remember, it mostly works for the people who like the DM dub, which isolates a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh! fans from the start. I also forgot the opening theme they made for this special when it aired on 4KidsTV a few years ago. It barely focused on capsule monsters at all and felt more like a mash-up of the different season intros than one made for a special. I kind of laughed when I saw that Kaiba was in the opening since he doesn't even appear in this special.

Even so, I thought that the first two episodes were pretty fun. It probably helps that I can still enjoy the dub and both this special and the Pyramid of Light movie are kind of guilty pleasures for me. There were some pretty funny moments and I think that the story gets a bit more interesting as it progresses.

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Both Capsule Monsters and The Pyramid of Light (And a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh!'s other "greatest hits" so to speak) are guilty pleasures of mine. I'll probably pop in my DVD of the first Capsule Monsters "movie" sometime before the second set of episodes start airing to catch up to this. I think my biggest problem with it is how non-Yu-Gi-Oh! it is. I do have to give it props for making one of my favorite historical figures a villain though, that was cool. Oh, and there's something else I like that I'll get to when this airing gets to it.
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Todays two episodes were okay. To be honest, I'm waiting for the plot to pick up, since so far, it seems pretty bare-bones.

- Izzy, Digimon

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Yeah, the first few episodes are pretty much an introduction to the world that they're stuck in with some minor fights here and there. I think that the plot picks up in one of the two episodes that air next week, but I could be mistaken since I haven't seen Capsule Monsters for a couple of years.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    From todays two episodes, I'm not sure which one I preferred. The first one really dragged, and the villain lost in one hit.

But the second one annoyed me. Basically, the moral of the story is that without Yugi, everyone else on the show is useless.

Joey was alot cooler in Battle City. In this show, he doesn't even know what an echo is....

At least the villain has appeared.

- Izzy, Digimon

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    But the second one annoyed me. Basically, the moral of the story is that without Yugi, everyone else on the show is useless.

Joey was alot cooler in Battle City. In this show, he doesn't even know what an echo is....

At least the villain has appeared.
    That message, as well as how Joey was with that echo bit, results from how 4Kids handle these characters with their own story. From what I've read of the manga and heard of from the original version of the DM series, the main characters aren't useless and have purpose even when Yugi isn't around. 4Kids just wanted to make Joey and Tristian more as comedy relief characters than anything else in their own story, as well as make Yugi even more important than he was in the actual series.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    These two episodes were okay. They weren't boring.

I do wonder where the villain is, though. He appeared last week, and than this week, he didn't make a single appearance.

- Izzy, Digimon

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I've missed a couple of episodes in the last few weeks, so I got caught up on Hulu and saw the finale today. I thought that the finale was pretty good. It had more action than most of the episodes before it and it was fairly engaging. That final armor for Yugi kind of felt like it came out of nowhere, but it did look pretty cool. The finale was a decent way to end an okay storyline. While I kind of have a guilty pleasure for this 4Kids-made arc, I think I have more pleasure in watching the Pyramid of Light movie more than this. At least that feels more like Yu-Gi-Oh! by comparison.

I remember when this first came out and I was excited that there was another adventure with the original DM cast. And then I saw the episodes. They weren't as good as I had hoped, although the second half of the storyline felt a bit more interesting. In retrospect, I think that this was a waste of money on 4Kids' part. All they've done with this special was edit episodes together to create two "movies" on DVD, which most likely didn't sell too well, aired the complete episodes only twice and put them up on their website. While the animation never looked that great, it still must have cost them quite a bit of money to set this special up. While the Pyramid of Light movie wasn't successful in the box office from what I remember, at least it was made during a time when Yu-Gi-Oh! was actually popular, although I think that popularity was starting to fad for the anime. I think Capsule Monsters came out some time after GX had started airing on Cartoon Network. While I don't dislike this mini-series, it definitely felt like 4Kids could have saved themselves a bit of money by not going through the process of making it and I still don't think it should be included in their episode count for the dub. It should be more like a special/OVA more than episodes of the dub, but that's just me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast