Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    Yeah looks like it has both language tracks.
    But subs are only as PDF files on the last disk...
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

trunkschan90 is offline Lover of Trunks plushies ^___^
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Aw man, my set comes in the mail on Friday, guess it'll have the same problem as well. At least it has the dub and I can just memorize what's on the PDF and watch it that way. Although someone said on the Amazon customer discussions that the subs work when played on the computer.
    http://www.amazon.com/The-subtitles-...sin=B006MHZDSO

S'more Entertainment has just made a statement concerning the subs on their facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...47881591940030
    "Offering our apoplogies....there was no intent to mis-lead the fans. There was a mis-communication internally and even though at least 10 people proofed the packaging, the fact the packaging incorrectly said 'sub-titled' was missed by everyone, including by TOEI."
    Trunks plushie ^_^
    Support AnimeSols
    http://animesols.com/

Angilasman is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, thank the maker that their Galaxy Express 999 release will be subbed. Coupling that fact with the inexpensive nature of this Bobobo set leads me to think that one will be a quality release and affordably priced!

On the other hand: sorry Bobobo fans!

TheVileOne is online now Peace Loving Shinobi
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post
    But subs are only as PDF files on the last disk...
    What does that mean? You can't watch it with subs on DVD?
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . Is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is a screw up of massive proportions. Who the frig releases a subtitle-less foreign audio track to an english speaking audience?

I bet they won't even finish Galaxy Express 999 either. They'll probably release about 40 episodes and then discontinue the rest of the series due to some sales excuse or another.

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaping Larry Jojo
    I bet they won't even finish Galaxy Express 999 either. They'll probably release about 40 episodes and then discontinue the rest of the series due to some sales excuse or another.
    Let's not jump to conclusions. After all, both Bo-bobo and GE999 TV are S'More's first ever anime releases.

OTOH, I will agree that neither this, nor the "DVD sales are plummeting" statement is an excuse either way for what would seem--from my POV, and with no offense to them--to be an obvious lack of real commitment to this release of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. The way I see it, there are two possibilities:

1. They're trying to justify said lack of commitment by making excuses.

2. They're flat out lying to everyone about said "DVD sales are plummeting" statement (i.e., there's actually a completely different reason).

I can only hope that it's the former. Whatever the case, until this gets re-released with actual subtitles (whether through a replacement program, a new shipment of copies, or both), I will have to say no to this release. I will however give them the benefit of the doubt on their "miscommunication" claim. Either way, I will agree that this was an extraordinarily bad call on S'More's part...
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post

I can only hope that it's the former. Whatever the case, until this gets re-released with actual subtitles (whether through a replacement program, a new shipment of copies, or both), I will have to say no to this release. I will however give them the benefit of the doubt on their "miscommunication" claim. Either way, I will agree that this was an extraordinarily bad call on S'More's part...
    There won't be a subtitled Bobobo release. It was meant to be a Japanese track with NO subtitles, hence my frustration. It's completely stupid. Maybe I should post their response:

http://www.fandompost.com/2012/04/12...xpress-999-tv/

It appears there are some issues and confusion over the fact the packaging on “Bobobo…”alluded to the fact the episodes were viewable in English or Japanese with English sub-titles. This was an error on our part that wasn’t caught by anyone here and more importantly, not caught by anyone at TOEI who went over the package design with a fine tooth comb. The episodes can be watched in either Japanese or English language only but rest assured, there was no intent on our or TOEI’s part to mislead the fans.

All 70 plus episodes of the series were never available in a sub-titled format (I understand a small number of episodes were sub-titled in a previous DVD release) and neither TOEI or S’more could justify the cost of creating new, sub-titled versions of the series. DVD sales have plummeted to the point where most companies wouldn’t be willing to commit the money needed for packaging and authoring but we felt the series was important (and fun) enough to justify the risk.
    I’ve dealt with serious fans before, starting with The Monkees, MST3K, Transformers and Battle of the Planets so I understand (and respect) their attention to details. It wasn’t our intention to mislead anyone and I’m hopeful that you and other fans will embrace the series as presented and appreciate the effort that went in to creating these packages.

The 2nd “Bobobo…” box set (that completes the series) will not have sub-titled option, the error will be fixed. On GE999, after listening to input, we will only offer the episodes in the Japanese language with sub-titles. There are no English language tracks and we will not be creating them for this release.
    I would have been much more lenient if this were merely a disc error that needed recalling. But the fact that they were going to release a Japanese audio track with no subtitles to begin with is nonsensical on so many levels. They might as well just have announced this as dub only. Purists wouldn't have bought it but at least nobody would be as mad.

Expectations for GE 999 are now far lower. It might have hard coded subtitles. And since this company doesn't seem interested in putting too much effort into making these products friendly to an english speaking audience, I would expect that the subtitles would be full of errors and mistakes since they're just taking the Toei subtitles and slapping them onto the disc. Even Discotek actually rewrote some of the subtitles in their Toei properties so that they would read better.

Barring a complete disaster, I'll still probably get what they release of GE 999, even if they don't end up finishing it. Butright now I won't recommend anyone else to it.

At least Discotek will be releasing the entire 1978 Captain Harlock TV series in one box set. That makes me feel a bit better as someone champing for some old school Matsumoto.
    Last edited by Leaping Larry Jojo; 04-12-2012 at 11:05 AM.

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, thanks to this I'm definitely going to wait a few days after GE 999 TV comes out just to make sure they don't mess something up. This definitely doesn't stop me from buying a product I want, but it does inspire caution.

S'more's just starting out with this, but this is big-time amateur hour stuff and even more so if all these people really were checking it. It doesn't help that at first English subtitles were advertised and reported, and the detail was never corrected until after people had purchased this on a false assumption.

What I don't understand is why these scripts that are there as extras were not used to make subtitles. How can that be hard or expensive? Where's the need to create a new translation for subtitles?!

Also, the DVD market rationalization notwithstanding, I defy anyone to say with a straight face that Discotek wouldn't have subtitled this show.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaping Larry Jojo View Post
    the fact that they were going to release a Japanese audio track with no subtitles to begin with is nonsensical on so many levels.
    This is just speculation on my part, but it could be that maybe they were trying to add to the show's nonsensical humor. It still doesn't excuse it though.

Expectations for GE 999 are now far lower. It might have hard coded subtitles. And since this company doesn't seem interested in putting too much effort into making these products friendly to an english speaking audience, I would expect that the subtitles would be full of errors and mistakes since they're just taking the Toei subtitles and slapping them onto the disc.
    We really don't know that. They could get better about it in the time between now and when it comes out (i.e., they might slightly "fix" them, like you mentioned Discotek doing). OTOH, I'll admit that at this point, it doesn't seem likely. OTOOH, we should still give them a chance, at least where GE999 is concerned. Make no mistake however, I'm not happy about this either, but with all due respect, assuming the worst isn't going to help. All we can really do is calmly voice our concerns and hope they listen. Just saying.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    What I don't understand is why these scripts that are there as extras were not used to make subtitles. How can that be hard or expensive? Where's the need to create a new translation for subtitles?!
    Depends on if the scripts attached in .pdf are for the show or the included dub. If the former they'd just need to time and make sure they were paced evenly. If the latter they'd have to hire some poor guy to translate every script so that they're accurate. Either way, it's money and man power S'more and Toei obviously felt wasn't worth it. Of course, that kind of kills sales a bit, so it's a self-defeating prophecy.

Still, at least the show is available completely un-edited. Better than a dub-only release.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Hordesman is offline slashor
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal

Depends on if the scripts attached in .pdf are for the show or the included dub. If the former they'd just need to time and make sure they were paced evenly. If the latter they'd have to hire some poor guy to translate every script so that they're accurate. Either way, it's money and man power S'more and Toei obviously felt wasn't worth it. Of course, that kind of kills sales a bit, so it's a self-defeating prophecy.

Still, at least the show is available completely un-edited. Better than a dub-only release.
    Sounds to me like this was on its way to being a sub/dub release that got changed, either due to cutbacks, Toei or both... It's like how,every once in a while one of mattycollector.com's figures can't quite make it to market with all the accessories it was originally shown with. Anyway, so this is probably something I'll buy as gifts and hopefully we'll get a complete set with subs later on

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    Yeah, thanks to this I'm definitely going to wait a few days after GE 999 TV comes out just to make sure they don't mess something up. This definitely doesn't stop me from buying a product I want, but it does inspire caution.

S'more's just starting out with this, but this is big-time amateur hour stuff and even more so if all these people really were checking it. It doesn't help that at first English subtitles were advertised and reported, and the detail was never corrected until after people had purchased this on a false assumption.

Also, the DVD market rationalization notwithstanding, I defy anyone to say with a straight face that Discotek wouldn't have subtitled this show.
    Sigh, yeah, I really wish Discotek got this show now...
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At least the GE999 subs are already done - I mean, they're on the version of the show streaming right now. With Bobobo it seems S'more received a translated script and included the scripts as a separate, special feature instead of syncing subtitles.

Reasons? Ignorance could be one. These guys may be trying hard, a budget label trying to expand and do something different, but aren't well informed on the product. They might not realize that even with an English dub some English speaking fans might prefer the original Japanese language subtitled because of the preference for authenticity. Their GE999 comment seems to back this up: that it will be subbed because there is no English dub.

What to do? Write to them. E-mail. Tweet. Don't be dismissive of them, instead say that you like that they're putting out a product you want and tell them what a big deal subtitles are to you and to most fans (who are the consumers of this product). Make an impression and further releases may be improved and (you never know) maybe this first release will be redone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    What to do? Write to them. E-mail. Tweet. Don't be dismissive of them, instead say that you like that they're putting out a product you want and tell them what a big deal subtitles are to you and to most fans (who are the consumers of this product). Make an impression and further releases may be improved and (you never know) maybe this first release will be redone.
    This is common sense. Even someone who had a major lobotomy could figure this out. If you release a foreign audio track for an english speaking audience, you include subtitles. And the budget saving excuse doesn't wash. There are fans who subtitle anime for fun basically every week. Come on now. I don't care how small a company you are. You shouldn't be worse than some 19 year old otaku kid living in his parents' basement who subs his favourite show for his friends every week.

I can understand errors and misleading packages. I almost wish this was just a quality control, massive DVD authoring error. Instead I hear that it was always supposed to be just an Japanese track with no subs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaping Larry Jojo View Post
    This is common sense.

Since when do people have common sense?

Shift is offline Brave Warrior of the Sea
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob T. Paschal View Post
    Depends on if the scripts attached in .pdf are for the show or the included dub.
    To be clear, the scripts are for the straight-translated Japanese version, not the liberty-taking English version. So they did seem to go through the expense of translating it, but probably the extra few MBs of space they would take on top of the 3.5 hours of video and two audio tracks was just too tight a squeeze.

I can sympathize that what was released doesn't exactly meet what was advertised. But really, I'm personally satisfied; the dub I love is there, the Japanese version is on there to boot, nothing was altered like it was on Toonami, and at the very least I can understand the Japanese track by using those pdfs, however cumbersome. So I'm definitely not gonna boycott the second set when it comes out, and I only hope this trouble won't cause it to not be released.

Storyboard Artist for The Sonic Fan Film

SpaceCowboy is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    To be clear, the scripts are for the straight-translated Japanese version, not the liberty-taking English version. So they did seem to go through the expense of translating it, but probably the extra few MBs of space they would take on top of the 3.5 hours of video and two audio tracks was just too tight a squeeze.
    Given by how poorly and cheaply S'more seems to be run, I doubt that's the case. These are probably pre-existing translations Toei gave them to use in advance. When asked about the Galaxy Express 999 release, they indicated they were waiting for "sub-titled masters" from Toei, which seems to imply they're putting as little effort into these releases as possible.

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well yeah. Someone posted one of the pages from the Bobo^7 pdf file, and it's an actual post-translation script. Like the kind the dubbing studio would give their writers to base the English dub on.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

JTurner954 is offline Paradigm City, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

S'More's discs vs. Illumitoon's discs

So my copy of Part 1 arrived and sure enough there are no English subtitles. I think they should of at least had closed captioning for the hard of hearing. Even though it wouldn't be a literal translation of the Japanese track, it still would have been nice to have something to read as even Illumitoon's releases did this. The PDF idea is ... interesting, but it's too bad they couldn't just copy and paste the material onto the DVD(s). In addition, how come there was no PDF translation to the lyrics to songs like Wild Challenger? I will admit it was interesting to see the episode as a script but having it on screen would have been better.

Aside from that, I LOVE what S'More did with this set.

While Illumitoon had the same menu on each DVD (one second animation in a loop with setup problems ranging from overblaring sound to menus freezing), each disc has an animated menu featuring a different character with episode clips running in the background. Everything loads instantly and it's easy to navigate. I also like how each case has an insert with episode titles and art - something Illumitoon releases did not have (although they did have early concept art in their extras menu).

I don't know how they did it, but yeah they have 8-10 episodes on each DVD and they look and sound great (no static on Episode 3 like on the Illumitoon disc). I did notice some pixels on the screen at times, but that was only because I was very close to the screen. If you're six feet away or more from the TV set, you won't notice any problems. Also, eyecatchers and openings/closers are all here. Nothing is missing footage wise (baka survivor baby).

S'More mentioned subtitles and didn't have them, yet they added something yet didn't mention it anywhere on the discs or the cases. I'm referring to scene selections (usually 3) which can be activated on your remote control yet do not appear on the episode menu.

I don't know if this counts as an easter egg or not, but I thought it was funny that they placed a chapter scene selection at the beginning of an episode of "Bobobo Theater" when an episode has that segment. Otherwise, they occur at the beginning of each episode and the eyecatcher halfway through.

Overall, I'm very happy with S'More's treatment of Bobobo. This by no means looks, plays, or is packaged like a bootleg (the packaging alone makes it better than Illumitoon) and was well worth $25. If I was more of a sub guy than a dub guy I would be angry. Yet if you liked watching Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo on Cartoon Network, there's no reason why you shouldn't buy this.

P.S. : This was released in DVD format only. However, if you watch after the last episode of each disc, you will see that the discs were made by "Left Coast Regional: Blu Ray Authoring Encoding Editing Design". I wouldn't be surprised if they re-release this in the future as a Blu-Ray with subtitles intact.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4