Like This Thread!

They DON'T have Blu-ray rights?? Ugh.
    Vegas...now??

EroSennin is offline The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage View Post
    They DON'T have Blu-ray rights?? Ugh.
    AFAIK One Piece isn't even available on Blu-ray in Japan so its not surprising.
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not surprised. Maybe once the DVD Logs catch up Toei will do their own Blu-ray releases.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Radiant is offline Foreverrrrr!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh well. I'm just glad they got Season 4 at all. I don't even have a Blu-Ray player back in my room so it doesn't matter much to me.
    ~Woodwinds are ~
    MyAnimeList | deviantArt

O-chan is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While Blu-ray would have been nice considering this is Toei we're dealing with and also keeping in mind the problems with the DBZ Blu- ray release I think this all ultimately works out for the better. I'm also not freaking about the dub being pushed back to the Fall. SJAlpha and the simulcast keep my weekly need for One Piece appeased, and we all managed to survive and surpass the 4Kids era. It will come when it comes.

O-chan

Sent from my iPhone using toonzone
    Please view my artwork and my musings here:
    http://ochan28.deviantart.com/
    http://o-chan30.blogspot.com/

Super Sonic is offline Fastest Thing Alive
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A YouTube Vlog group called WungFu Productions somehow managed to get Mike McFarland to let them voice some background characters during the Usopp scene in Water 7, Episode 233. Also we get a little bit of behind the scenes material with the FUNi dub! It's nice to have a little listen to Colleen's Luffy after so long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBk2A...a1FUAAAAAAAAAA

G1Ravage is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    YAY, a bump worth watching!
    Vegas...now??

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mark your calendars - Season 4 is coming August 7.

Pre-order from RightStuf

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ten bucks cheaper than the first sixteen sets, too.

Shift is offline Brave Warrior of the Sea
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Guess they want to adjust for the fact that it's DVD only and probably only 11-12 eps, but it works out to the most probable 5 of those sets costing as much as the 4 sets of V1 did, which is a pretty even split. In any case, I'm just glad it was announced before the RS sale ended; now I can get it along with the P&S set!

Storyboard Artist for The Sonic Fan Film

G1Ravage is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    FINALLY!!!!

My calendar has been marked.
    Vegas...now??

ReijiAzuma is offline Gah, cuteness! My weakness!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, looks like this is potentially to be the last hurrah? I forget how many episodes this was supposed to be in total, but was it supposed to cover the entire CP9 storyline or just part of it? I highly doubt it's going to do well enough for FUNi to keep continuing with the series, so I think it would tick a lot of people off it wound up ending mid-storyline.

Considering how there's the 4-disc collections now that save a lot more space than the original sets, I wonder how many people are just going to skip the original 2-disc releases for the more shelf-efficient ones. If that happens that could potentially hurt season 4's chances.
    Timmy Turner (Tara Strong): In the future, there will be 500 TV channels.... but nothing to watch!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReijiAzuma View Post
    So, looks like this is potentially to be the last hurrah? I forget how many episodes this was supposed to be in total, but was it supposed to cover the entire CP9 storyline or just part of it? I highly doubt it's going to do well enough for FUNi to keep continuing with the series, so I think it would tick a lot of people off it wound up ending mid-storyline.

Considering how there's the 4-disc collections now that save a lot more space than the original sets, I wonder how many people are just going to skip the original 2-disc releases for the more shelf-efficient ones. If that happens that could potentially hurt season 4's chances.
    No, not really...I mean Collections for Season 4 won't even be out until over a year after the season finishes. Anyone really getting into the show will jump straight to the Voyages. Especially considering that the Season 4 Voyages are looking noticeably cheaper than previous sets as Jacob pointed out.

No offense but I just find this attitude kinda lame. I mean just buy the sets and do what you can. One Piece sold well enough on the Voyages for FUNi to purchase Season 4, who's to say Season 4 can't sell well enough for a Season 5? Plus, this is Toei's top show - they're going to want this to succeed to some degree in the West. One Piece would have to do really, really bad for it to be dropped. Why would you expect the sets to suddenly start selling horribly? The impatience and eagerness many fans have shown over the wait for Season 4 has indicated that that won't be the case. With the Voyages selling well enough to make it high on Amazon's list during their releases (again, BEFORE Collections even came into the picture) I just don't see that stopping.

And the Season is 58 episodes. Covers Davy Back, all of Water 7 and all the filler that falls in between.

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ReijiAzuma View Post
    What makes you think that? The series must be selling well enough to warrant releasing Season 4 at all, especially after spending the time and money to re-release the whole series thus far in new packaging.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PC! View Post
    What makes you think that? The series must be selling well enough to warrant releasing Season 4 at all, especially after spending the time and money to re-release the whole series thus far in new packaging.
    Re-releasing is an investment. Shelf space is limited nowadays, so simply re-packaging already printed discs is a lot easier than it looks. They can pull in extra money while spending little and saving shelf space.

Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Funimation took far too long to license One Piece season 4, especially when they didn't even get the Blu-Ray rights. Funimation only licensed part (207-263) of season 4 too, which means another long wait before even more episodes are licensed. The license of less episodes and the delays make it clear Funimation are waiting to see how well One Piece sells, before investing too much in the series. These long delays aren't going to help sales either, as some people will lose interest over that length of time.

I think the One Piece Collections will have a negative effect too, since they a much better value, better packaged, and take up much less space. It is annoying that Funimation are still using poor packaging (flimsy box, using eco-case style thinpaks) for their DVD releases of parts. When just using a keep case, with slip cover would be much better.

I like to watch complete stories or story arcs, so I'm still waiting to watch One Piece season 3. I will buy Season 4 Part 1 to finally get episode 206, and then wait for the collections for the rest of season 4. I bought all their previous One Piece voyages, but I'm not going to waste my money this time around.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Toei's not going to give them the Blu-ray rights to a show that they haven't even released on Blu-ray domestically.

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirben View Post
    The license of less episodes and the delays make it clear Funimation are waiting to see how well One Piece sells, before investing too much in the series.
    56 episodes is still a huge investment for a series without a TV deal.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

Kirben is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post
    56 episodes is still a huge investment for a series without a TV deal.
    It still only about a quarter, compared to their last license of 205 episodes of One Piece.

The problem is people will wonder if the CP9 saga will actually be completed, especially whether the remaining episodes will be licensed in the future. There are just too many cases of incomplete series in the anime industry, which makes people wary when buying.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirben View Post
    It still only about a quarter, compared to their last license of 205 episodes of One Piece.

The problem is people will wonder if the CP9 saga will actually be completed, especially whether the remaining episodes will be licensed in the future. There are just too many cases of incomplete series in the anime industry, which makes people wary when buying.
    They didn't license 205 episodes. They licensed 144-205 (61 Episodes), and then went back and did the first two seasons. They never licensed all that at once. For all we know Toei could've given them a special deal on those first two seasons since they knew the dub would sell better if it just started from the beginning.

And why would you expect FUNi to magically acquire BD rights to a show that has NEVER seen a BD release in Japan? The only Blu-Ray OP you'd find in Japan is the movies, and that didn't even happen until a couple of years ago.

And you're not going to be seeing Season 4 collections until 2014 at the earliest. With S4 likely being 5 Voyages long, S4 Collections would be impossible until S5 completes release.

I really can't stand this mindset. Instead of not buying because you're worried of the possibility of it getting dropped, why not just get the release and give it a chance to sell? And the arguement that the Collections are the only thing carrying OP is ridiculous. Season 4 got licensed due to the Voyages and the Voyages have sold well on their releases way before the Collections came into the picture.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast