Quantcast
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Episode #4

Like This Thread!

I would be aghast to repeat myself where Chief Director Tomino Yoshiyuki's involvement in each episode is concerned, therefore I shall refrain from doing so despite the fact I now have written a run-on sentence informing of my displeasure to doing such. Key Animator Kurashima Ayumi provided two new eye catches for Episode #4, leaving one wondering why time, talent, and money is being spent on eye catches before doing something about that Opening. Nore is unfortunately the victim of a not-so well done performed from Kurashima, thus leaving sentient life forms devoid of interesting animation for the Best Girl™ of the series.

Composer Kan'no Yuugo and Sound Director Kimura Eriko show off some nice military-esque music during the Capital Army's preparations for departure. I was reminded of the music played during the Shinra parade in Final Fantasy VII.

Bellri's lack of regard for his own use as a hostage and the good captain's reply seemed as if Tomino was poking fun at himself.

'Something' coming from space? Hmm...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Episode #5

It's a packed staff for Episode #5, but no so much I need to take two screen captures from Animator's Corner by @Archah! Key Animator Abe Munetaka provided key animation for Gundam Build Fighters Try Episode #1 and Episode #3, so it's quite interesting to see he had the time to provide key animation for Gundam G no Reconguista Episode #5. I'll need to ask around to see just how the schedules for these two shows have been staggered. The water effects for the water ball were drawn superbly, so I must wonder if those cuts were not Abe's work.

Add 'Mick Jack' to the list of Crazy Tomino Names. Mick Jack is a woman, by the way.

I had noticed this in previous episodes, but Gundam G no Reconguista employs digital grain to give the series an older look. Take a look at the blackened shadows. A good example is on the ship at 5:47, the large open door that is blackened out has a layer of digital post-processing grain added.

"There's one cours in a nut!" I hope this was a wink at the broadcasting industry.

Our masked friend's voice performance was splendid .That voice crack from Satou Takuya added to the impact of the performance splendidly.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Episode #6

Staff transcribed by @Archah of Animator's Corner.

One of the second key animation sub-contracting studios is named Axis. How fitting.

Key animator Takaya Hirotoshi did these action cuts. They're nothing special outside of his beam effects animation, though.

Finally, a storyboard not completely done by Chief Director Tomino Yoshiyuki.

Wow, the English from the helmsmen was quite good. That accent was not too shabby!

Those segways were stupid looking. The cuts of those Capital guys moving behind that CG fence at 5:14 was especially horrible-looking. Come on Tomino, be smarter with how you use your money!

Sound Director Kimura Eriko employed far too much of the score from Composer Kan'no Yuugo in Episode #6. Scenes that required no music at all had them blaring in the background to no effect other than the sending some weird foreigner to the internet to complain about how much it bites.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Episode #7

Key Animator Kurashima Ayumi once again provides a new eye catch. It's nothing special thanks to the standard layout and timing, which leaves me wondering what Chief Director Tomino Yoshiyuki is trying to accomplish. I can't imagine these eye catches of the characters dancing are supposed to be anything more than Tomino's idea of fun. If these are supposed to be fluffy fun why is it they are so phoned-in? Mess with the layouts and use of the camera a bit, include more interesting timing or choreography. Do something that offers the eye catch the personality it so desperately seems to think it has. Some doofus in a mask isn't going to be funny on its own.

Kuntala were used for cannibalism, eh? How the Hell is there still a stable society if that occurred? A society that eats other people would surely no longer even be a 'society'.

Bellri's mom laughing at 5:28 was rather random. Was she laughing at the hippopotamus head on the wall? Chief Director Tomino Yoshiyuki's storyboard was unclear here. Episode Director Kudo Shun or Character Animation Supervisor Toyoda Akiko should have made the necessary changes to make sure it was clearer at the layout stage.

The water effects starting at 14:30 were relatively nice. The sharper and thinner lines gave the water a more ferocious look. It helped depict the water as it were a terrible force of nature, even if it didn't actually destroy anything. There was no effects animation supervisor, but I figure Animation Supervisor Toyoda Akiko or Mecha Animation Supervisor Abe Kunihiro helped give the effects animation that extra layer of sharpness.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Episode #8

Staff transcribed by @Archah of Animator’s Corner.

The staff is really weird for Episode #8. There are two episode directors (presumably one for each part of the episode), seventeen key animators, eighteen second key animators from nine sub-contracting studios and only one animation supervisor and mecha animation supervisor. Chief Director Tomino Yoshiyuki had the time to storyboard the episode by himself but not enough time for there to be two episode directors, a multitude of key animators but only two animation supervisors? That seems a wee bit on the odd side. Episode Director Mori Kunihiro directed Episode #2 and Episode Director Imura Kenji helped direct Episode #1. Six and seven episodes after their first episodes and these two are back. This would imply the rotation has started over, but if both are now sharing the duties for Episode #8 I have to wonder if there was simply a shortage of manpower to oversee the large production staff for the episode. That would explain the use of two episode directors…but if there is a large number of key animators and second key animators that would mean that the schedule for the episode was short.

If the schedule was short why was there only one character animation supervisor and one mecha animation supervisor? The animation supervisor typically has even more hands-on contact with the key animators than the episode director. The use of second key animators indicates that there was no enough time for the key animators to clean up for finish their key animation, so secondary animators come in to spruce up the cuts before the actual in-between animation drawings are done. Were the seconds used as lower-paid animation supervisors to help alleviate the burden on Character Animation Supervisor Shibata Jun and Mecha Animation Supervisor Shiromae Ryuuji?

The use of background music during the mid-battle meeting with Aida’s old man was ill-advised. The piece ran longer than necessary when silence would have allowed the events to flow more naturally. The fact that a second piece of music was then employed was really head-scratching. The use of heroic music as the G-Self begins entering the upper atmosphere was also some weird tonal whiplash. The use of music is really beginning to have the same lack of flow that the rest of the episodes have been showcasing.

I don’t remember old Tomino series having so much of the characters yelling to themselves aloud in their cockpits mid-battle. Is this because Tomino is writing every episode now with no oversight from someone with better judgment? Gundam G no Reconguista has had a lot of this strange phenomenon, so I figured I would finally put it out there. First Tomino poorly uses his visuals now he’s poorly using his voice actors and script? Yeesh.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Episode #9

You know your schedule is funky when you have a 'battleship animation supervisor' to make sure the battleships are drawn on-model. Episode #9 is Endou Hirotaka's first episode with G Gundam no Reconguista. His last credit on Animator's Corner indicates he was episode director and storyboard artist for Haikyuu Episode #19 (10 August 2014). This leaves me wondering how much of this three month gap Endou spent working on Gundam G no Reconguista Episode #9 given he didn't have to storyboard the episode himself and his duties amount mostly to making sure nobody screws up and wastes money while Chief Director and Storyboard Artist Tomino Yoshiyuki is not looking.

One of these days Gundam is going to have to get meta and finally have the captain or somebody beat the hell out of these kids having their shenanigans on the bridge. Raraiya having essentially nothing interesting about her is a good place to start. Somebody shoot her and move along with business as usual already!

The background art for the pan beginning at 4:40 was rather nice. Forests and greenery are one of most consistently well-done environments in recent Japanese cartoons. With as much a shortage as there is with talented key animators (and time) I'm rather surprised such high-quality backgrounds continue to find a way to be made.

So, people just not know to not trust government leaders that want to be called 'holiness' while dressing like religious figures and military officers dressed similar? Wow. The second you give your government that much power is the second they believe they know best for you. When your government begins to serve their own ideas rather than the ideas of the people they have become monsters.

HellCat is offline Have a Parfait Christmas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ms Monday is a popular character. I'm intrigued to know if she's genuinely bonkers or is playing everybody as some kind of spy.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Episode #10

Why, hello there episode sub-contracted to Wit Studio. Araki Tetsurou is even involved as episode director and storyboard artist! I was quite surprised to hear so much of the core staff of Shingeki no Kyojin: attack on titan would be working on an episode of Gundam G no Reconguista given just how little in the way of personality Chief Director Tomino Yoshiyuki has allowed on the series up to this point. Even so, word is Tomino continually sent Araki memos about his storyboard so I have to wonder if it was actually better before hand or not. Character Animation Supervisor Ebara Yasuyuki managed to recruit Hamaguchi Akira and Imai Arifumi. Takaya Hirotoshi was also involved as a key animator. I think Imai did the G-Self's punch due to the warping effects but don't take my word for it.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112