Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    I didn't mind this episode. "Dark Astral", as I'll call him, was kinda cool, although he got tricked a bit too easy. I don't like Bronk though. I just never liked the big, dumb best friend type character.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

ShadowBlinky is online now Best Marathon Ever
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    I just never liked the big, dumb best friend type character.
    He doesn't seem that dumb to me. He appears to be just as smart, if not smarter than Yuma.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlinky View Post
    He doesn't seem that dumb to me. He appears to be just as smart, if not smarter than Yuma.
    I don't know if anyone in this show is as smart as Yuma. I would hope not since Yuma really isn't that smart to begin with. In fact, he's pretty stupid since he went days on end not realizing what he was wearing, including a bee costume, untill he looked in a mirror and despite dueling for years, he was not able to win a match until Astral came into the picture. At this point, Bronk hasn't shown any sign of being anywhere near as stupid as that.

I actually think that Bronk is one of the smarter characters in the main cast. He was the only one to actually get upset at Yuma for breaking his promise in his second match against Shark, as I think everyone should have instead of shrugging it off, and he pointed out that Yuma was getting overconfident in this recent episode. His appropriate reactions to some situations is why I think he's the least bland out of the main cast, which again isn't saying much, but out of Yuma's circle of friends, he's probably the only one I can actually tolerate. Tori is painfully dull and serves as Yuma's personal cheerleader with no sign of her own personality. Caswell is so boring I forget that he's included in the supporting cast for some strange reason, Flip doesn't even feel like he should be included as a friend and Cathy is basically just the shy love interest with random cat powers. The only advantage she has over Tori is that she actually knows how to duel, but considering she rarely duels in the series, that's probably not much of an advantage, especially when I don't see the point of giving Yuma two girls to serve as his obvious love interests. Bronk still isn't that interesting, but I think he has a bit more personality than the other characters and if the writers actually gave some decent focus on him, Bronk could probably be a more interesting character.

I think that's one reason why the other characters in the main/supporting casts are so boring since we don't see them outside of their connection to Yuma or much of anything about their individual personalities. The writers only treating them as Yuma's friends just make them look and feel such flat characters and makes it difficult to really get attached to them. While it's understandable to focus on their friendship to the main character, as all of the other Yu-Gi-Oh! series have done that, those other series also gave the other characters some focus that didn't depend on their relationship to the main character. Even GX could do that, despite having a similar problem with Jaden taking up a lot of screentime. If they could just do more with their other characters to make them feel more like individuals, instead of just part of Yuma's circle of friends, then they could probably be more interesting and/or more likable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thought today's Episode was pretty funny!

I Laughed a few times when Lillybot says "Yuma Stinks" for either his duel skills or when she just says it for random! The Duel was good! I Liked how Yuma was dueling to save her for what they both call each other "Her/His BFF" I thought it was funny at the end when the litterbots escaped from jewelry robber's van leaving the time bombs in his car!

Overall very fun episode! Today's episode get 8.5/10 Stars! Next week's episode looks like it picks up the pace of the plot and it'll be interesting to see why Kite has interest in Yuma's Emperor's key!

"A Very Fun Packed Episode, Filled with humor and Excitement! And Yuma has a new friend!"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Personally, I didn't really care for this episode. A robot calling Yuma trash and telling him that he stinks isn't really that funny after the first couple of times. Besides that, the series has already gone out of its way to make Yuma look like a joke at every possible chance, so making a new character whose only purpose is to say that Yuma stinks doesn't really stand out at this point. Having Yuma lose to her twice in a comedic fashion just pretty much confirmed that he only wins when the plot demands for it and that there can't be any believable development for him as a duelist. In that case, having him start out as a poor duelist feels kind of unnecessary now when he can't really grow as a duelist, at least not in a believable fashion, and if the situation isn't serious enough, the chances are excellent that the writers will have him lose just so he can be a joke. Though, I'll admit that the name Lillybot is pretty cute.

I can see what they were going for with Yuma dueling Lillybot with the main character having to duel a friend that's under control and/or doesn't remember them. That would be fine, but the problem is I kept wondering why should I care if Lillybot doesn't remember that they're friends. Yeah, we saw brief images of them having fun together, but that was in the span of a day and while Lillybot is kind of cute, that wasn't enough time for me to get attached to the character enough to actually care about. If I still don't care about the majority of the characters in the main cast, then I'm not going to instantly be worried about Lillybot just because she said that she's Yuma's best friend forever or because she's cute. This kind of situation is much more effective when there's more time spent on the friendship between the two characters to make the audience care about both of them and their relationship so that the duel actually is engaging. For example, Yugi vs. Joey in Duelist Kingdom wouldn't have been significant if Joey had just been introduced during the tournament finals as Yugi's new best friend forever.

The duel itself was okay, but it wasn't interesting enough to make up for not caring about why they were dueling in the first place. Even at the end of the duel, I didn't care much for Lillybot. It's nice that she didn't blow up, but I really wouldn't have cared if she did. After the mother duck and her babies were safe, I didn't really care about any of the characters' fates in this episode. I definitely wouldn't give this episode a high rating. I don't think it was one of the worst episodes in the series, but it was pretty dull and forgettable. Despite Lillybot's inclusion to the supporting cast, this episode was a pretty weak filler episode. Aside from calling Yuma an idiot, or in the dub's case telling him that he sinks, Lillybot doesn't do anything that another character couldn't already do. I also still say we don't need a new character who only tells Yuma that he's trash and that he sinks. The series does that well enough on its own that any character who only does that is useless and there are far too many useless characters in this show as it is.

I actually got a good laugh from the preview 4Kids made since it spoiled the ending to the match between Shark and Kite. It was so bad that they ruined the ending for that match already that I couldn't help but laugh at it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This episode was okay, but aside from introducing a new character, this episode screamed filler. And I just didn't like the duel or the robot. In all honesty, the robot annoyed me.

- Izzy, Digimon

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Guy View Post
    This episode was okay, but aside from introducing a new character, this episode screamed filler. And I just didn't like the duel or the robot. In all honesty, the robot annoyed me.
    This episode was filler, despite introducing a new character. Lillybot is an unnecessary and useless character that does nothing to affect the story. The main thing that annoyed me about the episode was that they were making such a big deal that Lillybot is their friend when they just had her for one day. That's not really enough time, in my opinion, to form a strong friendship and it definitely wasn't enough time to make me care about Lillybot. Though, it's also kind of annoying to have this episode come right after the duel against Dark Mist since they easily could have gotten rid of this episode, along with Lillybot, in order to make that match a two-part duel. That could have made it a lot better than it actually turned out to be.

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The duel I had with my brother while watching this would've made a better episode than what we got. Wow, was this one bad. Zexal, please be less lame next week. Please...
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Todays episode was a lot better than last week's. The duel was much more interesting, even if I highly suspected that Shark would lose (although I didn't expect his soul to be taken).

Things look bad for Yuma right now.

- Izzy, Digimon

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    While I agree that this episode was better than last week's, although that doesn't really take much, I personally thought that this episode was disappointing. It started off pretty decent with Astral explaining to Yuma about the ship in the key, although I don't understand why that didn't come up sooner, it was nice to see Shark again and Shark dodging Orbital's giant drill was kind of cool, but after that, the episode went south for me. Shark acting like he did have a Number in front of Kite seemed kind of dumb. Even though Shark didn't know that Kite would take his soul in order to get a Number card, it felt weird for Shark to act like he could have had a Number card. Though, to be fair, I don't quite understand why Kite didn't have Orbital slow down time again to confirm if Shark had a Number card. He has the technology to find duelists with Number cards and force them to duel until one of them wins, or he has to leave, so I don't quite understand why he just assumed that Shark had a Number card without checking to make sure.

The most disappointing thing for me was the duel itself. The idea of Shark vs. Kite sounds cool since they're basically the two best duelists in this series, but I didn't like how they had Kite in total control of the match right from the start. Being able to perfectly counter Shark's moves and especially knowing that he would try to take one of his Number cards and giving him Acid Golem made Kite look like a Gary-Stu to me. It was also annoying to see that Shark wanted to take one of Kite's Number cards because he showed in his last duel against Yuma that he could defeat Number cards with his regular Xyz monsters and there was also that scene from a few episodes ago where Shark told Tori to not get caught up by Numbers, or something along those lines, so seeing him not only go after a Number, but also bragging about having one with 3000 attack points felt out of character. It felt like they wanted to establish Kite as more of a threat by crushing Shark with ease, even though that wasn't necessary given that his duel against Yuma already did that. In terms of the story, it made sense that Shark lost, especially when I think that they're saving Kite to be defeated by Yuma in a most likely forced/unbelievable manner, but I would have preferred it if they had Shark be able to do some damage to Kite. It still would have shown how strong Kite is and not reduce Shark's skills as a result.

I was slightly surprised that Kite was able to steal Shark's soul. I figured that he could only do that with someone under the influence of a Number. It feels kind of weird that he kept in anyway. Overall, this was a pretty disappointing episode. It could have been much better if they didn't have Shark lose in such a pathetic way to make it look like he never had much skills to begin with only to make Kite look stronger. At least Yuma seemed concerned about Astral instead of just his Emperor's Key and I'm glad that we finally had a non-Yuma duel. It really shouldn't have taken twenty-two episodes for them to do that, but despite the poor quality of the duel itself, I at least appreciate that they finally took a break from Yuma dueling in every single episode beforehand.