Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    They probably didn't want to risk getting issues from DC for having a character with the name Robin in the dub, even though I seriously doubt that DC would actually have that much problems with it. I believe that his name in the Japanese version was Fuya. Nelson is a bit of an odd choice, but I don't mind too much. His voice worked a lot better than I initially thought when I first saw the promo, but it definitely helps that he sounds exactly like Syrus in his normal voice.
    Fuya probably wouldn't have been too problematic a name for kids to pronounce, IMO. Yeah, I didn't think about DC's Robin, although I doubt they would have cared. Konami/Upper Deck/4Kids/whoever made these decisions back in the name changed Gaia the Dark Night, to Gaia the Fierce Knight in the original DM for the same reason. Since a lot of RPG's use the term "Dark Knight", I doubt it would have been a big deal.

I can see his Syrus/Sho voice working for the character, I'll need to watch this one on Hulu this week I guess, since this one of the few I liked in the Japanese version. It's just such a silly fun episode.
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Trying to get back into Pokemon, PM if you want to battle in Black/White!

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Yoshi Mage View Post
    Fuya probably wouldn't have been too problematic a name for kids to pronounce, IMO. Yeah, I didn't think about DC's Robin, although I doubt they would have cared. Konami/Upper Deck/4Kids/whoever made these decisions back in the name changed Gaia the Dark Night, to Gaia the Fierce Knight in the original DM for the same reason. Since a lot of RPG's use the term "Dark Knight", I doubt it would have been a big deal.
    I don't think that Fuya would have been too hard for kids to pronounce either, but I think it's pretty rare that they keep the name for a one-shot character, which Fuya/Nelson unfortunately is. I doubt that DC would have cared, but whoever made the decision might not want to take that risk. Konami could have made that decision, although I'm not sure if the cards that he plays in this duel have actually been released. I still would have gone for Bluejay instead of Sparrow instead, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Yoshi Mage
    I can see his Syrus/Sho voice working for the character, I'll need to watch this one on Hulu this week I guess, since this one of the few I liked in the Japanese version. It's just such a silly fun episode.
    I liked this duel in the Japanese version too. It was still kind of weird with how the mother wanted her son to stay in character and there were some silly moments, but the duel was fun and after the last two matches dragged on too long with uninteresting opponents, a duel that was just fun was a step in the right direction for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well everybody, it's time for the the last new Zexal until further notice (I'm guessing January unless 4kids loses the license or something in the time between now and then). Check it out at 9:30 A.M. today on Toonzai on The CW4kids (Check your local listings).

Episode 9: The Sparrow, Part 2

Yuma must figure out a way to defeat The Sparrow and his powerful Galaxy Queen before Nelson and Astral disappear forever!
    Hey everypony! Check out new episodes of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starting September 17th on The Hub! You'll be 20% more awesome!

Mohji is online now Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    According to an on-air promo new Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal episodes will return in February.

Golfkid is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohji View Post
    According to an on-air promo new Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal episodes will return in February.
    Doesn't that stink!

Anyways, I felt as though the episode was not really complete. While it was nice to have Nelson's mother figuring out her pressure on her son, they never solved Nelson's loneliness problem. It seems to be solved as "Oh. He has his mom." I was hoping more for him to ask a girl out or something like that. I personally believe that would have been a much more fulfilling ending.

I also wasn't a fan on how they didn't recycle the line, "Nelson Andrews doesn't matter." It sounded off and they clearly had Wayne Grayson do it again. No offense, but it would have been better to recycle the old clip, because it sounded more like Nelson (and Syrus).

The duel was good and I thought it was funny how Astral followed the TV show's ending. I didn't care for Yuma's Duel Fuel eating and it was so random.

I got some good laughs, but felt as though the episode underachieved the goal.
    My Fanfiction Profile:http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2405635/amk8930
    Learning About Love and Each Other: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7932061/...and_Each_Other
    Sorry if you don't like the stories I write.

Playstation 3/Wii username: amk8930

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfkid View Post
    Doesn't that stink!
    Considering that I don't particularly like Zexal for a number of reasons, I don't think that it's that bad that they're going into reruns this soon, but that's just me. I was expecting them to go on a bit longer, but I'm not surprised that they're going on a two-month break, assuming that they're going through all eight episodes that they have aired before starting new episodes in February.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfkid
    Anyways, I felt as though the episode was not really complete. While it was nice to have Nelson's mother figuring out her pressure on her son, they never solved Nelson's loneliness problem. It seems to be solved as "Oh. He has his mom." I was hoping more for him to ask a girl out or something like that. I personally believe that would have been a much more fulfilling ending.
    No offense, but I really don't see how Nelson asking a girl out would have been a more fulfilling ending. There was no indication that he wanted to ask a girl out. He wanted to be himself and have friends, at least based on his interactions with Yuma in last week's episode, and the only one preventing that was his mother having this weird desire to make sure he was in character as the Sparrow almost all of the time. Now that she saw how her pressure on Nelson affected him through this duel, she won't make him be the Sparrow all of the time and he'll be able to himself, have a better relationship with his mother and possibly make more friends. I don't see how Nelson asking a girl out would have been a more fulfilling ending. Just because he said he was lonely doesn't mean he should have been able to ask a girl out. He was lonely for friends, not for a girlfriend, and a boy being lonely doesn't necessarily mean that he needs a girlfriend either. The possibility of Nelson having friends and his mother telling him that she wants him to be Nelson, instead of the Sparrow like she originally said, made the ending to the duel fulfilled. There was absolutely no need to introduce a pointless love interest for Nelson, especially when it looked like he didn't know a lot of people to begin with. If they had introduced the idea that Nelson wanted to date a girl that he knew, then that would be different, but I don't see why Nelson asking a girl would have been better than what we got.

I also wasn't a fan on how they didn't recycle the line, "Nelson Andrews doesn't matter." It sounded off and they clearly had Wayne Grayson do it again. No offense, but it would have been better to recycle the old clip, because it sounded more like Nelson (and Syrus).
    I didn't think it sounded off and I believe that the original version used that flashback with a similar line to convey the same kind of message. Nelson's voice is exactly the same as Syrus, so it's not surprising that they sound the same.

The duel was good and I thought it was funny how Astral followed the TV show's ending. I didn't care for Yuma's Duel Fuel eating and it was so random.
    In the original version of the second episode, Yuma used that Duel Fuel to think of what to do against Shark. I was surprised that they cut that part out of the episode, especially when they already showed Yuma's grandmother giving the meal to Yuma in the first episode. It's still pretty random and weird and if I remember correctly, it isn't the last time something like that happens.

Anyway, I thought that the episode was pretty good. I still think it's kind of weird that the Duel Gazers can function as cell phones. The duel itself was pretty good. I did get a few good laughs from how Astral's strategy came from watching the TV show. Though, considering that Nelson really thought that he was the Sparrow and that Galaxy Queen was his mother, I guess that makes sense. I thought that Yuma questioning Astral's decision was kind of weird since he has been the only reason he has one his last few duels. Nelson did make some pretty good moves and having a deck based on his TV show was kind of cool. I kind of wonder why Bronk was in this episode since we didn't even see how he and Tori were able to get Nelson's mother to see the duel.

I thought that the ending to the duel was nice. Nelson still cared about his mother, even when he was under the Number's influence, and it showed through his desire to protect Galaxy Queen. It was also kind of nice to see Astral understand more about loneliness and how a relationship between a human and their mother works. His memory was kind of interesting, especially since most people don't remember their birth, but Astral is an alien spirit from a different dimension. Shark's appearance at the end was pretty cool too. It was kind of weird that he can ride a motorcycle, especially when I think he's only a one or two years older than Yuma, but it was cool so I went with it.

Overall, I thought that this was a pretty good duel. It doesn't feel like they accomplished much character or story wise, but it was at least more entertaining the last couple of duels, which is at least something in the right direction. I actually kind of laughed at the promo. It just makes it sound like the first episode was so long ago and so much has happened since the first episode when I don't that's the case at all. I know that Zexal has been much more of a hit ratings wise than 5D's was, but not much has actually happened. We've made little progress with Astral's memories, a good couple of duels have just dragged on, most of the characters introduced have been pretty bland and/or uninteresting and aside from Yuma and Astral, we haven't learned that much about the characters. Plus, Yuma has been fairly annoying for most of these episodes. Even with this more enjoyable last couple of episodes, I think that Zexal has the weakest start to any of the Yu-Gi-Oh! due to the pacing issues and the characters. Still, it should be interesting to see how they handle the following episodes in February, assuming that 4Kids hasn't lost the rights to the franchise or have collapsed due to their own financial problem, both of which sound quite possible at this point, by then.

Golfkid is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No offense, but I really don't see how Nelson asking a girl out would have been a more fulfilling ending. There was no indication that he wanted to ask a girl out. He wanted to be himself and have friends, at least based on his interactions with Yuma in last week's episode, and the only one preventing that was his mother having this weird desire to make sure he was in character as the Sparrow almost all of the time. Now that she saw how her pressure on Nelson affected him through this duel, she won't make him be the Sparrow all of the time and he'll be able to himself, have a better relationship with his mother and possibly make more friends. I don't see how Nelson asking a girl out would have been a more fulfilling ending. Just because he said he was lonely doesn't mean he should have been able to ask a girl out. He was lonely for friends, not for a girlfriend, and a boy being lonely doesn't necessarily mean that he needs a girlfriend either. The possibility of Nelson having friends and his mother telling him that she wants him to be Nelson, instead of the Sparrow like she originally said, made the ending to the duel fulfilled. There was absolutely no need to introduce a pointless love interest for Nelson, especially when it looked like he didn't know a lot of people to begin with. If they had introduced the idea that Nelson wanted to date a girl that he knew, then that would be different, but I don't see why Nelson asking a girl would have been better than what we got.
    I'm not trying to put a love interest into it, but what I was going for was that Nelson's loneliness did not seem to be answered. Yeah he has his mom, but he had her before. The problem is that does he have any new friends (to fix his loneliness) after duel? Maybe Yuma, but I doubt we'll see him ever again, so he's almost right back where he started.

Nelson said last episode he was afraid of girls and then he tried to introduce himself to Yuma. I was hoping that he would apply it to a real life situation. That's why I thought there should be a girl scene or something along those lines.

I didn't think it sounded off and I believe that the original version used that flashback with a similar line to convey the same kind of message. Nelson's voice is exactly the same as Syrus, so it's not surprising that they sound the same.
    It didn't sound as high pitched and didn't sound like the episode before. They had the same line, but it sounded different. But it's a very mute point. I noticed it, but if you didn't that's okay. It didn't make or break the story anyways.
    My Fanfiction Profile:http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2405635/amk8930
    Learning About Love and Each Other: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7932061/...and_Each_Other
    Sorry if you don't like the stories I write.

Playstation 3/Wii username: amk8930

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfkid View Post
    I'm not trying to put a love interest into it, but what I was going for was that Nelson's loneliness did not seem to be answered. Yeah he has his mom, but he had her before. The problem is that does he have any new friends (to fix his loneliness) after duel? Maybe Yuma, but I doubt we'll see him ever again, so he's almost right back where he started.
    It's true that he had his mother before, but there is still a significant difference between how she was in the first part and how she was at the end of the duel. At first, she wanted him to only be the Sparrow and not show his true self to other people. Here, she's telling him that she wants him to be Nelson instead of the Sparrow due to how she saw her pressure affected him emotionally. While we don't see him getting friends, it does leave the impression that he'll be able to get friends because of how he doesn't have to be the Sparrow all of the time. He'll be happier and know that his true self matters more than the character he plays on TV. I definitely wouldn't say that he's almost back where he started. If he was, then he would still be stuck being the Sparrow most of the time when he clearly isn't. I don't think Nelson does appear again, which is a shame since he's one of the few characters that Yuma has dueled since his duel against Shark that I do like.

Nelson said last episode he was afraid of girls and then he tried to introduce himself to Yuma. I was hoping that he would apply it to a real life situation. That's why I thought there should be a girl scene or something along those lines.
    Oh, that makes more sense. I didn't remember that line, so for some reason, I thought that you thought he would need a girlfriend in order to not feel lonely anymore. I don't know if they had that line about Nelson being afraid of girls in the original version or not, but I'm leading more towards that 4Kids added that line. I'm still okay with how they left Nelson. He's free from the pressure his mother put on him and by being Nelson instead of the Sparrow, he'll be able to make friends. Seeing it would be nice, but unfortunately, he's a one-shot character, so we don't get to see as much about him as we could if he became part of the main/supporting cast.

Gold Guy is offline This ain't Pokemon!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked this episode. The duel was well-animated, at least.
    Random quote (changes once in a while)

"What could possibly be wrong with gaining knowledge and information?"
    - Izzy, Digimon
    My Twitter: https://twitter.com/AnimeExBurst

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I almost forgot guys, but I didn't there's a brand new Zexal on tomorrow at it's new time 9:00 on TheCW4kids on Toonzai (Check your local listings)!

Episode 9: Feline Frenzy

As Yuma only just now comes to realise he has been coming to school in bizarre outfits for a week, he learns from Astral that a cat-like thief has been sneaking into his room. Can Yuma defeat this mysterious Cathy?