Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Phew, just ran through episodes #10-15. I hate that I keep falling behind on this stuff, espicially Toriko (I'm only on episode #12).

Anyhow, I really like this series. Each episode is pleasant to watch. The exams are really taking interesting turns at each point and the characters are fun, too. I can't help but think that Leorio is Kuwabara 2.0, though. Chiba Shigeru might as well have been given the role.
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

Divinenega is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While this is up I guess you guys should know, there;s a poster for the Heaven's Area and Yorknew arcs

Anyone else seriously excited?

ensatsu-ken is offline "Come and get it!"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This episode just foreshadowed my favorite arc in the series, which isn't too far off as it is. For right now, though, the main group has split up and Gon and Killua are headed to train at Heaven's Arena. This upcoming arc is about the closest that HXH will ever get to a traditional shonen series again, as its basically more or less a training arc (but it has its own interesting perks to it which keeps it feeling fresh, and it doesn't last too long, either). Most of the arc is light-hearted in tone (not to say that it doesn't have its fair share of brutality ), so its best to enjoy that atmosphere while you can, because this series takes a REALLY dark turn by the time Yorskshin City comes around. I can't wait for that arc, and that poster looks seriously awesome.
    Animation Revelation: Taking Over Cartoons One Step at a Time

Check it out!

GingaDaiuchuu is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 25: Can't See X If X You're Blind

They've succeeded in reuniting with Killua, and Kurapika and Leorio go off to do their own things while Gon and Killua figure out how to get stronger! Everything went way better than expected! This is basically the first time since the beginning that everyone has been completely satisfied and relaxed with their current situation, so now it's basically just looking to the future for brand-new stories that follow this now-complete one that has lasted for the entire run of the series so far.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

bigddan11 is offline Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm kind of disgusted. It specifically mentions when Gon goes home after Haven's Arena that he hasn't sent a letter to his guardians and they have never seen even a picture of Killua. Now we have a recap episode where he talks about rescuing Killua and it has a picture of Killua with them in it. Despite the good things that this newer series is doing, it's mistakes like this that make it unenjoyable at times.
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

Baseball is offline gyroball
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigddan11 View Post
    I'm kind of disgusted. It specifically mentions when Gon goes home after Haven's Arena that he hasn't sent a letter to his guardians and they have never seen even a picture of Killua. Now we have a recap episode where he talks about rescuing Killua and it has a picture of Killua with them in it. Despite the good things that this newer series is doing, it's mistakes like this that make it unenjoyable at times.
    Mistranslation. The Viz version's speech bubble has Mito say something like "You haven't sent me a letter since the one saying that you passed!" Meaning that Gon sends Mito at least one letter before the beginning of next arc. The 1999 series has him send a letter too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baseball View Post
    Mistranslation. The Viz version's speech bubble has Mito say something like "You haven't sent me a letter since the one saying that you passed!" Meaning that Gon sends Mito at least one letter before the beginning of next arc. The 1999 series has him send a letter too.
    Yes. I said he sends a letter stating that he passed. However, and as you said it could be a mistranslation on Viz's part, she says he hasn't sent a letter since he said he passed, and Killua does specifically say that no one in Gon's family has seen him before during the same episode. Getting back to not getting a letter since he says he passed in the first series, Gon then replies that he intended to, but when him and Killua decide to go to Whale Island they'll arrive before the letter, so they decide to just surprise them. Apparently they can't do that in the second series here at all now, even though they can still surprise them.
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, we got some new opening animation with the highlight being the appearance of the Genei Ryodan (or the Phantom Troupe) in it, and we got a completely new ending theme with this episode.

As for the episode itself, it covers a significant chunk of material and moved at a pretty quick pace compared to the first anime (or at least it felt that way). Almost every major battle shonen series has its own form of "spiritual energy" of some sort to add an element of special attacks and powers and abilities to the characters and enhance the fights. Even Hunter X Hunter has its own form of energy as we can see from this episode, but compared to other shonen series its being introduced pretty late into the game. That said, since its not like every other shonen out there, it puts its own spin on things and has its own little complex system to how Nen is supposed to work. All I can say for now is....be ready to get confused in next week's episode.

Check it out!

RockmanDash is offline Retired Das Boom Champion A Simple Day Champion Action Escape Kitty Champion Bee Sting Champion Catnarok 2 : Longcat rampage Champion Karate Monkey Champion Ultimate Mierda Champion Justice Hero Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This tower arc is turning out to be really awesome so far . I'm getting curious about what will happen on the final floor!

A lot of people seemed to have been complaining about how the opening song didn't change, yet I personally love that the studio just changed the scenes and the flow of the song(reminds me of Yu Yu Hakusho).

Next week: We get a learning lesson and...Hisoka returns!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually, to be more accurate, the opening song did technically change to a different version of the song, or rather the 2nd part of the full song which the OP is basically just like a cover for. The animation for the first half of the opening changed as well, but the second half recycles the second half of the first OP, but in this case it makes sense for them to do that since that scene with Gon charging Hisoka IS still relevant at this point being that his current goal is to land a clean punch on Hisoka and return his tag to him.

Check it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ensatsu-ken View Post
    Actually, to be more accurate, the opening song did technically change to a different version of the song, or rather the 2nd part of the full song which the OP is basically just like a cover for. The animation for the first half of the opening changed as well, but the second half recycles the second half of the first OP, but in this case it makes sense for them to do that since that scene with Gon charging Hisoka IS still relevant at this point being that his current goal is to land a clean punch on Hisoka and return his tag to him.
    That was the first thing I noticed to. I like being able to whistle the opening theme as it plays along, so I didn't mind them not changing the theme. They did change the words to basically a second verse and then went back to the chorus.

As for the episode, I'm interested to see how they are going to portray this version of Wing. He seems a lot more laid back so far, though when he gets strict it is rather evident. I also like how they are portraying nen as an aura of sorts here and showing it can be harnessed. I like the color scheme change of the nen more than the white glow they showed in the first series, which oftentimes looked like perspiration.

RockmanDash is offline Retired Das Boom Champion A Simple Day Champion Action Escape Kitty Champion Bee Sting Champion Catnarok 2 : Longcat rampage Champion Karate Monkey Champion Ultimate Mierda Champion Justice Hero Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This week: Gon and Killua make it to the 200s and get stopped by..Hisoka!

The story so far is becoming much more interesting and I'm really curious now on how strong the next upcoming antagonists from ending 2 are going to be with all of these energy aspects being introduced.

It also seems that the 200+ are going to be extremely strong(possibly even slightly beyond Hisoka's strength?).

Gotta say this is definitely one of my favorite shows to watch weekly now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If it seems weird to anyone that Hisoka would go so far as to stalk Gon and Killua and wait for them at the 200th floor of Heaven's Arena, you should really know by now....the dude's a freaking psychopath.

Anyways, he sees the potential in Gon and being there to challenge him on the 200th floor is another way that he can test Gon's growth in terms of both strength and will power, and also his natural ability to adapt to tough opponents in general. It also just pushes Gon forward in fighting ability since Gon is still REALLY determined to land a punch on Hisoka and "return the favor" from the Hunter Exams arc.

The important thing from this week's episode was the concept of Nen. Pay close attention to how it works because the series won't bother to explain this stuff as in-depth as in this and the next couple of episodes again, and it can make later battles get rather confusing if you don't know the terminology that they are using relating to Nen, if only because its a lot more complex than your typical Ki or Spirit Energy from other shonen series. That said, once you get how it works, it makes the later battles of this series really interesting and highly strategic (similar to how satisfying a combat system in a fighting game with deep mechanics can be when you really get them down).

Of course, this series isn't all about the fights, but Nen will become an important ability for all characters who can use it from this point on, and it has many more uses than just combat. In the next episode you'll learn that Nen is not generally well defined, but rather differs greatly between individuals and really mostly reflects the unique characteristics of its users. This will lead to the main characters developing wildly different sets of abilities that are each useful in their own way. It can be a bit tedious to sit through some boring explanations, but trust me, it'll all pay off later in the next arc when the character development, plot, and fighting get way more intense than anything this series has thrown at you up to this point.

Check it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, with this week's episode we get the first half of the Hisoka vs Kastro fight. Heh, I love how this makes it seem like Kastro has the upper hand....really, I feel sorry for the guy, and the next episode is not going to be pretty, to say the least.
    Last edited by ensatsu-ken; 05-13-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Check it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm kind of surprised that Hisoka actually got his armed ripped off there, though I'm assuming because he's called the "magician" that he can somehow fix that issue. The fight so far with Hisoka vs Kastro is looking pretty good and it's great to see all of these different abilities being used now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 32

Well I knew there was no chance that Hisoka wasn't going to pull out some amazing victory, but I didn't expect him to be this flawless. When it requires half the episode just to explain it, that's some pretty complex stuff. Going right from that to hearing that he has a boss who is potentially far more dangerous than him is a simultaneously terrifying and exhilarating concept. And now this whole group is going to gather at the previously mentioned Yorknew City. I have a feeling this next arc is going to be pretty damn exciting. I wonder how much longer this arc has. Obviously Gon is not going to get to Hisoka's level without a few more decades of training.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, Kastro got it BAD in this episode. Also, in case the episode didn't make it clear enough since they didn't downright say it, Kastro didn't just lose, he's flat-out dead. Hisoka has absolutely no compassion or remorse for anyone, and he only let Gon live because of his potential to become a worthy opponent. When he's done toying around with someone, he kills them off in a heartbeat. Kastro certainly won't be his last fatality, so keep that in mind.

Anyways, this episode was important for another reason, as its the first episode that really sheds some significant light on the Phantom Troupe and their plans. As can clearly be seen from this episode, Hisoka isn't really committed to the group but is only a member so that he can stick around them and potentially challenge their boss, one of the few people who could ever possibly defeat Hisoka as far as I know. But, we'll learn about the boss and the rest of the Phantom Troupe in the next arc (and yes, it is very exciting; its my favorite arc in the series, personally).

For now, what's next up is getting back to Gon and Killua's training, but now we'll get so see more actual application of that training. Of course the climax of this arc will obviously be Gon's confrontation with Hisoka. Obviously he's far off from this level and its no spoiler at this point that he's not going to beat Hisoka, even if the guy seriously holds back on him (which he pretty much has to if he doesn't want him dead yet), but lets not forget that Gon's current goal is just to get a punch in on Hisoka to get him back for what happened during the Hunter Exams. Lets see if he can actually pull that much off, or if even that is out of his reach at this point in time (obviously I know the answer to that, but I won't spoil it for others).

Check it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love the ending to this week's episode. Killua clearly shows his skills as an assassin have not waned at all. You could tell that he wasn't bluffing at all. He would have gladly killed him right there if he needed to. Next week Gon and Killua will have their first serious matches as Nen users. Obviously they are still far off from Hisoka's level, but by now they should be good enough to take on the lower-tier fighters of that floor.

Check it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Episode 33

I wonder if it was a disc popped into the side of a flatscreen TV in the original manga. Oh, but apparently this is some kind of technology where your Nen mastery determines what you see. I'm pretty sure that's not how things work with our simple pixels of today.

EroSennin is offline The Frog Hermit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
    I wonder if it was a disc popped into the side of a flatscreen TV in the original manga. Oh, but apparently this is some kind of technology where your Nen mastery determines what you see. I'm pretty sure that's not how things work with our simple pixels of today.
    It was a VHS. I think it was explained in the manga that the video is recorded using Nen induced cameras.
    "Winter is coming." "Bango Skank was here." "The enemy gate is down" "Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain."

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast