Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    River26 is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My Last Day - Story on Jesus' Final Day on Earth

Like This Thread!

The final day of Jesus, known to be the most cruelist of days of his life. Yet, it's also the greatest story, which spawned a movie (subtitled-only). Now it's gained an anime short as well. Yet, many are drawn to his kindness and what he's done.

By ANN

Japan's Studio 4C ( Genius Party, Tekkonkinkreet segments of The Animatrix ) animated a nine-minute adaptation of Jesus, the 1979 live-action film version of Jesus Christ's story from the organizers of the Campus Crusade for Christ (CCC) group, and the producers posted

the short online on Tuesday. "My Last Day" depicts the biblical story of the crucifixion of Jesus through the perspective of a thief who was also crucified. Barry Cook, the director of Disney's Mulan film, wrote the short's screenplay for CCC's Jesus Film Project ministry. The current online version is in English, and the producers plan to translate the short into other languages.

Christianity has been covered in Tatsunoko's superbook (Anime Oyaku Gekijo) anime series, and manga pioneer Osamu Tezuka worked with the Vatican on the In the Beginning - The Bible Stories anime series just before he passed away. Gundam character designer Yoshikazu Yasuhiko (Arion) created a manga series about Jesus.
    Original article

Anime Short
    Zeta26's DA Profile (yoroshiku!) ^^

Join in the PS4 discussions ^^ http://www.toonzone.net/forums/video...ulation-5.html

GWOtaku is online now Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Mmmmm yes. I saw this earlier in the week. It is very good. The short is not what I'd call safe for work--it's the crucifixion, after all.

Beneath The Tangles, a great little anime blog with a focus on Christian spirituality, wrote up a short & sweet review of it here. The writer is pretty much where I'm at on it (except for the accent critique, this totally didn't bother me or even get my attention).
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

firefoxprime is offline 90s = Golden Years
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    Mmmmm yes. I saw this earlier in the week. It is very good. The short is not what I'd call safe for work--it's the crucifixion, after all.

Beneath The Tangles, a great little anime blog with a focus on Christian spirituality, wrote up a short & sweet review of it here. The writer is pretty much where I'm at on it (except for the accent critique, this totally didn't bother me or even get my attention).
    I don't get it. How/why could this Jesus anime potentially bother you?
    Anime currently watching:

Hanasaku Iroha , Gad Guard, Birdy the Mighty, Eden of the East, Chromo Shelled Regios

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think there's enough violence in certain parts for it to not be SFW, not everywhere at least. It doesn't bother me because the short would obviously be unfaithful and compromised without it.
    I would suggest that it's not the medium, but the quality of perception and expression, that determines the significance of art. But what would a cartoonist know? -Bill Watterson

jph139 is offline Immortal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cruelest indeed... man, that got pretty tough to watch. I suppose that's the intent, though.

Certainly well made; I enjoyed it, at least. Interesting to make it through the point of view of the criminal promised salvation; that's always been the part of the New Testament I found most... heartwarming, I guess? Inspiring, maybe. I'm not exactly religious, but that aspect always got to me, and it translated pretty well to film.

I'm interested in seeing further "episodes," so I hope this garners some attention.

| 3/17/97 - 9/20/08 5/26/12 |

Raidon Makoto is offline Long Live The Heroes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Where was that dubbed? The voice acting and ADR are terrible. And its a shame, because Studio 4C animated it beautifully (besides the resolution errors).

11.5 Space Dandy / 12.0 Bleach / 12.5 Shippuden / 1.0 One Piece / 1.5 Soul Eater / 2.0 Sword Art Online / 2.5 Naruto / 3.0 GITS / 3.5 Brotherhood / 4.0 Samurai Jack / 4.5 IGPX / 5.0 Clone Wars / 5.5 Inuyasha
    Jack is Back.
    Only TOONAMI,
    on [adult swim]

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's strange that 4C seems to be getting so much work in America lately (this, Thundercats, Gotham Knight, Animatrix) yet their biggest and best film so far, Mindgame, has never been released here.
    I'm a writer at a new Boston blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/
    I also directed this short film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu2ruy_z9io

Kindness King is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, can't believe this was uploaded on my birthday. Anyway, that was really good. The animation was good and expressive, and I thought the voice work was fine. I would love for the studio behind this to not only make more about the life of Jesus, but to make a full-blown series of the Bible. Can you just imagine what the story of Moses would be like from this? Of the Book of Revelation? I get goosebumps just thinking about it!
    More harm has been done by people panicked over societal decline than societal decline ever did.

-xkcd.com

firefoxprime is offline 90s = Golden Years
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindness King View Post
    Wow, can't believe this was uploaded on my birthday. Anyway, that was really good. The animation was good and expressive, and I thought the voice work was fine. I would love for the studio behind this to not only make more about the life of Jesus, but to make a full-blown series of the Bible. Can you just imagine what the story of Moses would be like from this? Of the Book of Revelation? I get goosebumps just thinking about it!
    woah. An anime depiction of revelatons. I'd get chills dude...and hopefully this does become a series. Atleast an ova...anything more really. I'm a christian(born again), so hopefully this can spread to the masses. Anime is awesome. Jesus is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by GWOtaku View Post
    I think there's enough violence in certain parts for it to not be SFW, not everywhere at least. It doesn't bother me because the short would obviously be unfaithful and compromised without it.
    Hmm. I see what you mean. Kinda like akira, and no tokyo.
    Anime currently watching:

Hanasaku Iroha , Gad Guard, Birdy the Mighty, Eden of the East, Chromo Shelled Regios

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidon Makoto View Post
    Where was that dubbed? The voice acting and ADR are terrible. And its a shame, because Studio 4C animated it beautifully (besides the resolution errors).
    From what I've gathered it was dubbed by volunteers who were interested in a project on Jesus.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindness King View Post
    I would love for the studio behind this to not only make more about the life of Jesus, but to make a full-blown series of the Bible. Can you just imagine what the story of Moses would be like from this? Of the Book of Revelation? I get goosebumps just thinking about it!
    The closest you're going to get to that is the In The Beginning anime series that Osamu Tezuka was working on before he died. I believe it was 26 episodes long and it covered the beginning to Jesus's birth. It use to air on EWTN back in the late 90's-early 00's. Wasn't a bad show. Dub was alright and it had minimal edits.

Gatomon41 is offline Happy Easter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firefoxprime View Post
    I don't get it. How/why could this Jesus anime potentially bother you?
    Cruxifiction is a terrible way to die, to say the least. Seeing Jesus suffer and die isn't going to make for SFW imagery.
    He is Risen.

"Truth suffers, but never dies." -St. Teresa of Avila

Ducard is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for sharing the video. It's quite nice, especially for the Easter season. I'd love to see more like it.
    "The bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." --Anton Ego, Ratatouille

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Not bad, although I wish there was more of a focus on who Jesus was and why it was important that he was crucified. There are a couple flashbacks to some ministry he did (such as "pay to Caesar what is Caesar's"), but they don't last long so most of it is merely Jesus being beaten then hung on the cross. You feel sorry for the guy, of course, but I'm not sure it's the best tool to get the unfamiliar to really know who Jesus was, since it only focuses on a very narrow window of time. As a teaser to further education, though, I suppose it works.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah. The trick here is that the main character is the killer thief; we see him listening to Jesus and then committing the crime he regrets and then sticking up for Jesus on the cross. So they made it to drive home the point that redemption and forgiveness can be for anyone, not so much Christ's status as the son of God (though the short makes that obvious too).

Manhunter is offline Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Resurrected this thread because I just got through watching it and because today is Good Friday.
    "No man escapes the Manhunters!"

ventus20 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There's an anime about jesus? What is it called?

Manhunter is offline Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ventus20 View Post
    There's an anime about jesus? What is it called?
    See thread title.

And then see the anime itself.
    "No man escapes the Manhunters!"

ventus20 is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Could I find episodes of it on YouTube?

Shift is offline Brave Warrior of the Sea
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ventus20 View Post
    Could I find episodes of it on YouTube?
    See the link titled "Anime Short" in the first post.

Storyboard Artist for The Sonic Fan Film

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast