Search the Site:
Follow Us:
    firecrouch is offline A Pimp of Science!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Toriko Streaming & Simulcast Talkback (Spoilers)

Like This Thread!

Well the anime just started so I thought I'd start a discussion for it. I haven't read much of the manga but it's really my only anticipated new anime of the spring 2011 season. I created this discussion for whatever the anime has covered so if you want to discuss manga material that hasn't aired as anime yet I suggest you start a manga discussion.

Anyway I just watched the first episode (or second going by the official episode count), and despite the censoring from the manga, cutting out scenes, and more importantly squeezing three extra long chapters into one half-hour episode it was pretty darn good. I really feel like they're setting up an "epic romantic adventure story" along the vein of "Dragonball" and "One Piece", except with food and cooking. Unlike what I've read of the manga it this anime really gave off a more whimsical feeling, and I have to credit to the OST for that.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

firecrouch is offline A Pimp of Science!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hopefully now the series will get more attention.

Dark Fact is offline Preaching evil since '04
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The manga is very very good. If you love adventure with a side of manly action and food, you'll love this series.

That said, I've watched the crossover special with One Piece, the UFOtable OVA, and the official first canon episode from Toei and while I was disappointed with the amount of censorship in the Toei version plus the cramming of a lot of material into one episode, it was still a fun watch.

However, I'm calling Toriko's anime knife attack the butter knife since that knife can't cut while the manga one does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Highwind
    "FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST--Here comes a new challenger, we're gonna get one hell of a show! Which one of these fighters will walk away a champion?!"

bigddan11 is offline Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FUNi Streaming Talkback: Toriko

The world is full of deliciously deadly ingredients that the wealthiest appetites in existence can't wait to devour. Toriko, the legendary Gourmet Hunter, is ready and willing to track down the rarest animals on the planet and put them on a plate! Join Toriko as he quests to find the most exquisite ingredients for a full course meal everyone will enjoy. However mysterious forces seem to be watching him and hope to steal his fame and glory. Catch Toriko on FUNi's Video Player and on Hulu, then come and discuss it here. Episode numbers are based off of FUNi's numbering system and don't include the One Piece/ Toriko crossover at this time.

Episodes:
    1) The Undiscovered Giant Beast! Toriko, Capture a Gararagator!
    2) The Well Mellowed 7-Colored Fruit Juice! Pick the Rainbow Fruit!

College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

Gorbash is offline Munchings & Crunchings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So far, this anime has been a real disappointment for me, but let me start with the characters.

Toriko: He's the same cool guy I remember from the manga, although he doesn't smoke here, that's alright. I think his voice is a tad generic but that's ok.

Komatsu: His speeches have really become annoying in this anime. Don't get me started on his voice, it is absolutely generic for whom I imagine to be a 30 year old.

That reporter chick: She was not in the manga, at least, not in the first parts that I read. I don't know what's up with Toei feeling that they need someone on the sidelines to constantly comment and break the action. Her animation is wonky as well.

Animation: This series has some pretty nice animation for action scenes, and the colors are very nice. The characters move smoothly when the budget is used properly. However, when there isn't action, this anime falls on reusing frames and very poor lip sync for when the characters are moving their heads. The models are kept on model thankfully, but we'll see how that goes.

Also, this anime really gets too dramatic for scenes that don't call for such drama and cliche. It just annoys me, how scenes in the manga that I imagined as silent or comedic just fall under so much drama and hamminess. The actors are also big hams in almost every scene that calls for such.
    However, when this anime does reach to parts that call for drama, it does those parts well. Whenever food is being described in the manga, I always feel a sense of drama building up (on my tongue too) and the anime really knew how to capture it.

Overall, a disappointing anime, but I'll keep with it until the fifth episode, and if I'm not impressed by then, oh well.
    Who needs a signature when you have a floating head? I do!

There's a presentation about being stupid down by the way, you should check it out if you know what you're doing.

RonDrakenfan17 is offline Luffy fan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not too happy with the series either and they cut a lot of scenes here, which is shocking with how much they let One Piece get away with. Well at least it has good animation
    One Piece fan. Bleach fan.

Gorbash is offline Munchings & Crunchings
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, since the OP didn't update I suppose I shall. The third episode of the anime has just been uploaded.

Prepare it! The Poisonous Puffer Whale! The Heavenly King Coco Appears! (there's a mouthful.)

I'll be sure to comment on this later... though if that reporter shows up I'm not going to be happy.
    Who needs a signature when you have a floating head? I do!

There's a presentation about being stupid down by the way, you should check it out if you know what you're doing.

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Toriko Simulcast No Longer a Simulcast

I know this thread hasn't been updated in almost a year, but I thought this was important enough to bring it back.

I don't know if this will change later in the day or week or whatnot, but I'm currently basing this on what I've found. Two weeks after it should have been uploaded (I know they said it would be delayed, but still), episode 49 of Toriko has been uploaded to Hulu today, even though we should be on episode 50 (52 if you count the crossovers with One Piece, but Funimation currently has no plans to get those) right now. In other words, they really should have uploaded two episodes in order to keep things current. As it currently appears though, episodes will now be uploaded two weeks (and three days) after they've aired in Japan. As a result, this will no longer be a true simulcast.

I don't know if there are any fans of this show, but I just thought you should know. If this does change at some point, I'll be sure to update this post.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandouga View Post
    I know this thread hasn't been updated in almost a year, but I thought this was important enough to bring it back.

I don't know if this will change later in the day or week or whatnot, but I'm currently basing this on what I've found. Two weeks after it should have been uploaded (I know they said it would be delayed, but still), episode 49 of Toriko has been uploaded to Hulu today, even though we should be on episode 50 (52 if you count the crossovers with One Piece, but Funimation currently has no plans to get those) right now. In other words, they really should have uploaded two episodes in order to keep things current. As it currently appears though, episodes will now be uploaded two weeks (and three days) after they've aired in Japan. As a result, this will no longer be a true simulcast.

I don't know if there are any fans of this show, but I just thought you should know. If this does change at some point, I'll be sure to update this post.
    According to their show page, 50 will be released today, but we'll have to wait and see if that proves to be accurate or not. I honestly lost track of Toriko on something like episode 13 and have kind of faded away from it. It must be doing fairly well though for FUNi to keep simulcasting it, even though no dub appears to be on the way.
    http://www.funimation.com/toriko
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    FUNi did keep their word. Episode 50 was added on Wednesday afternoon, so 49 and 50 were added the same day.

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The episode is there alright; I just saw it. However, they skipped the ending theme and went straight to the (new) Tina segment. I know they skipped it because the opening credits still referred to an ending theme (this time a new one). When I saw episode 49, the ending played as usual, but it was an "NC (non-credit)" version. It didn't even display the lyrics (which would be in romaji in this episode) like it usually does. I wonder if this is why the episodes were delayed (i.e., because of problems with the song(s) or something).
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm so behind on this series. But who gives a crap about that? Toriko DVD Part 1 is comin' this January!
    TCG | Let's Sakuga: Discussing animation and the people who make it!

aegisrawks is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I REALLY hope there will be a surprise TV Deal for Toriko just like the one DBZKai had.