Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

This was a pretty awesome episode, if only because of Kaito. Even his appearance at the start of the episode was cool. Changing the color of his outfit in order to duel is a tad weird, but I liked how it reminded me of Jack from 5D's and anything that reminds me about Jack gets at least a little credit. While I agree that his method for getting Numbers from people is a bit harsh, considering that they apparently lose enough energy to make them age rapidly, it doesn't seem like he enjoys it. His meeting with Mr. Heartland, I believe that's his name at least, gave me the impression that he wasn't happy or enjoying the thrills of being a Numbers Hunter. I do like how he's doing all of this in an attempt to help his little brother. It makes him more sympathetic and he does have more of a personal drive/reason to get the Numbers.

I was also quite surprised that the destruction in the Astral universe seems to be coming from trash after it's been focused into energy from Haruto. Since it does seem to match the memory that Astral got at the end of the last episode, perhaps those attacks on Astral's world started just before he bonded to Yuma and lost his memories. Dr. Faker is just kind of creepy, but at least he doesn't have the cliche "Let's take over the world" by using the Numbers. I liked how Kaito's cute little robot partner helps him with his duel disk and apparently is able to freeze time. The start of the duel was really awesome Kaito summoned so many monsters and already had two Numbers. Even if Yuma listens to Astral, which I'm still annoyed that he doesn't given what he has been through ever since he met Astral, I have a hard time believing that he'd be able to win. If he does lose, I'll be happy if it does leave more of an impact on his character and make him realize that he can't just say he'll rise to the challenge, or whatever his catchphrase means, but that he needs to actually work at it. I'll still be disappointed that his lost to Shark didn't really make me realize that, but it would be better for something to affect Yuma's character sooner rather than later.

There were still a few things about this episode that annoyed me though. It might be a minor detail, but the police were afraid to attack the man, who only had a bat, and yet they attacked Yuma when he was suddenly in the crime scene. The reporters didn't even seem to notice that the criminal suddenly aged. The whole "Yuma isn't allowed to duel" also apparently came up again when he talked to his sister. This honestly still bothers me. For someone who apparently isn't allowed to duel, Yuma certainly duels quite often. Counting his twenty losses to Tetsuo after his defeat against Shark, Yuma has been able to duel twenty-six time since the whole sister not allowing him to duel came up, or twenty-nine in total of the whole series, including his loss against the class rep kid. My main problem with this whole not being allowed to duel thing is that it doesn't cause any kind of tension. He's been able to duel multiple times in the span of the series, as well as before the series due to some dialogue between Yuma, Tetsuo and the class rep kid in different episodes, so the whole concept, as it is, feels pretty pointless. The concept of a main character not being allowed to duel sounds interesting, but it should have been brought up in within the first episode or two and it definitely should make it more of a challenge for Yuma to go and duel. Unless the writers decide to have that "Yuma not being allowed to duel" cause actual tension, like being mentioned more than in one scene of a single episode, or expand it by either explaining it via flashbacks or in his interactions with his sister, it's just going to feel pointless to me.

Even though I kind of like Astral, this episode made me hope that Kaito gets all of the Numbers instead, despite how he's most likely being manipulated by the other villains in order to make their plans work and that it would prevent Astral from getting all of his memories back. Given what we have so far, I want to root for Kaito much more than Yuma. Even without considering how I view Yuma as borderline unlikable, although risking his life to save Katori, who is nice, but extremely bland to me, did help him to be less annoying to me in this episode, Kaito is much more sympathetic, has a better motivation for dueling and collecting Numbers than Yuma wanting to be a Duel Champion, has a much better deck and is just all around a more appealing character. If the writers put half as much effort into Yuma and his circle of friends as they did with Kaito, I'd probably like them more or at least find them more interesting. The only ones, as of now, that I actually care about in the main cast, aside from Astral, are Fuya, Cathy and Shark, although I think he's still more of a rival than Yuma's friend, but he probably respects him now. Still, despite my issues with a couple of moments in the episode, this is probably at least my second favorite episode of the series thus far, with episode ten being the first. Kaito definitely seems like the most interesting character in Zexal thus far and I do hope that he'll continue to be awesome when the duel continues in the next episode.

Chaos Yoshi Mage is offline The Lonely Raven
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This show just got weird. And I love it. Kaito was pretty cool even if he's the most extreme Kaiba rip-off yet, I mean he has it all. A ______ Eyes ______ Dragon with a ______ Stream of Destruction attack, a little brother with a soul problem that he'll do anything to save, and a jetpack (Well, a robot that transforms into a jetpack). Dr. Wily, I mean Dr. Faker, is really weird though, and it would be nice to know why he wants to destroy Astral World. Heck, why does he know about Astral World?

So, anyway, for the first time so far, I care about this show. It's, well, weird...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Yoshi Mage View Post
    This show just got weird. And I love it. Kaito was pretty cool even if he's the most extreme Kaiba rip-off yet, I mean he has it all. A ______ Eyes ______ Dragon with a ______ Stream of Destruction attack, a little brother with a soul problem that he'll do anything to save, and a jetpack (Well, a robot that transforms into a jetpack). Dr. Wily, I mean Dr. Faker, is really weird though, and it would be nice to know why he wants to destroy Astral World. Heck, why does he know about Astral World?

So, anyway, for the first time so far, I care about this show. It's, well, weird...
    I didn't pick up on the similarities between Kaito and Kaiba aside from the typical Dragon with 3000 Attack and 2500 Defense, but the name of its attack definitely feels like a strong reference/rip-off of Kaiba's Blue Eyes. Dr. Faker is just extremely creepy, especially during that little rant after Kaito left to be with his brother. He did not need to be that loud. I'm curious about how he knows about the Astral World too, why he wants to destroy it and how it seems that he knows about Astral being in this world. I'm finally more interested in this show and I'm actually looking forward to the continuation of this duel in the next episode, which does feel pretty weird to me too after seeing the majority of the earlier episodes in the series as mediocre at best with duels dragging on far too long, but I'm okay with that as long as the series actually keeps something like this up with having more interesting concepts/characters and more important duels, for both characters and the storyline to develop.

Mr. Hypocrite is offline Detective. Hero. Hypocrite.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So just watched Episode 14 finally. Damn.

Spoiler:
    Yuuma got crushed again, but the real thing to consider that he was listening to Astral right from the beginning. he even came up with some ideas Astral agreed with. In fact, Kaitou beat both of them despite the two being completely on the same page for a change. Even with Robin and Kat, Yuuma was trying to do his own thing a little bit, but he was also focused.

'His Duel is stronger than mine!' Not an exact quote, but that's more or less what Astral said when he realized that even with him helping Yuuma, and even with Yuuma following his advice, they were helpless. The only reason they aren't dead is because Kaitou took off when he realized his brother was in danger.

I think this is the one Light Lucario has been waiting for. Oh sure, Yuuma seemed crushed after the Duel with Shark, but he recovered from that quickly and even redeemed himself somewhat, earning Shark's respect.

This one though, knowing that nothing he could do would have changed the outcome, and even questioning the philosophy that has kept him going through all his defeats. The fact that both he and Astral would have been gone, and he was totally helpless, this seems to have finally knocked the dumb out of him. It was kind of trickling away bit by bit, but this seems to have killed it. As I noted, next week, it looks like he's going to get some training to prepare for the next time, and he'll need it.

Also, Astral had nothing to say. He lost that fight too and he knew it.

On a different note, Thanks to that devourer of life known as TV tropes, I finally realized why Yuuma sucks at Dueling: It's because he's not allowed. He seems to ignore it, but when did he start. The reason he screws up so often is because he may not have been dueling all that regularly before the series started.

It's kind of obvious when I think about it.
    The Hypocrite Rises....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hypocrite
    On a different note, Thanks to that devourer of life known as TV tropes, I finally realized why Yuuma sucks at Dueling: It's because he's not allowed. He seems to ignore it, but when did he start. The reason he screws up so often is because he may not have been dueling all that regularly before the series started.

It's kind of obvious when I think about it.
    I really don't think that's the reason behind Yuma's poor dueling skills. Despite not being allowed to duel, he's been dueling in every single episode of the series without any kind of problem from his sister. Even when she has appeared, she just questions him about it, he lies about his dueling and it doesn't affect the episode's plot after it's mentioned. It doesn't cause much of any tension, he's able to duel in the middle of the night and multiple times at school, so not being allowed to duel feels like a poorly written afterthought to me. Besides that, his duel against Shark wasn't one of his first duels ever, despite his behavior. Based on the dialogue in his conversations with Testuo and that class rep kid, Yuma dueled both of them many times prior to the series' premier. And if the manga is any indication of how many times Yuma dueled before the anime started, he lost to Testuo fifty times. I just think that Yuma is just really bad because he's obviously not the brightest kid and it's to help kids learn the basic concepts of the game, although I think that they could have done that without making Yuma so brainless.

Anyway, I did see the episode and Kaito still feels all shorts of awesome to me. I really like Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon. It does feel like they combined Blue Eyes with Stardust for its design, but it works for me. It's one of the few monsters introduced in Zexal that I'd actually like to use in the game and it has a pretty nice ability to fight off against Xyz monsters, most of which feel kind of "meh" to me outside of a couple of Number cards. I did like how Yuma and Astral were working together for once and Yuma was actually thinking about his moves before actually making them, which is a nice little improvement. I was quite surprised when Astral told Yuma to go on the attack. I realize that Numbers can't be destroyed except by other Numbers and card effects, but it seemed like a risky move, especially in their position and what was on the line. I don't think Yuma would have won if he put his monsters in defense mode, but he'd probably last a bit longer.

Also, apparently Mr. Heartland and Dr. Faker are planning some World Duel Carnaval tournament where they're using Kaito to get more Numbers from duelists with fighting spirits. Sounds oddly similar to the Fortune Cup from 5D's, but I'd be up for a tournament arc, especially if it does give some episodes where Yuma does not duel and offer some attention to the other characters who feel more like walking backgrounds to me at this point.

Haruto still gave me this extremely creepy feeling when he collapsed, but I was surprised when Kaito reacted before the robot showed him the image of his brother. That does make me think that they're linked together mentally. The look on Yuma's face made it clear that he was crushed and that he was broken after that lost. I kind of have mixed feelings on his reaction. On one hand, I'm glad that he finally realized that his skills are pathetic, since that's been firmly established from the start, and hopefully this will cause him to change his deck and/or his strategy so he can actually be a decent duelist. However, I think his reaction, minus the scream at the end, would have been more appropriate after his lost against Shark. I realize that he was afraid with the idea of losing his soul and that does make sense since this was the first time his life was on the line for a duel. Except for his duel against Cathy, Astral's life has always depended on Yuma's victories, but Yuma himself wasn't in physical danger until this one. However, Yuma's reaction wasn't about how he could had lost his soul and rapidly age like that one guy at the beginning of last week's episode. It was just about how useless he was and how he can't become a Duel Champion with his current skills. Considering that he just barely survived that duel and also almost was run over by a truck to save Katori, who also didn't seemed emotionally scared at the thought of almost being killed or seriously injured and yet again showing how dull she is as a character, I think Yuma should have been focused on the fact that he and Astral barely escaped with their lives.

Maybe I'm just being nit-picky, but Yuma put his pride on the line in his duel against Shark, was saying how he could defeat him without Numbers because of his increased skills and still lost the match even after he broke his promise to not use Numbers after two turns. Realizing that his skills are terrible and that there's no way he could become a Duel Champion with his current skills after that duel would have made so much more sense than losing twenty times in a row and still be happy to duel again. Plus, considering the amount of times Yuma has lost in the series, off-screen at least, it does feel a bit odd to see him finally react to a lose, especially after his crushing defeat from Shark and even losing off-screen yet again before this duel started last week. The only difference between his lost here and his other losses is that he could have lost this soul. Although, considering he is able to control Numbers, unlike the other duelists Kaito has dealt with, it's possible that the Numbers aren't connected to Yuma's soul like that.

I am glad that something finally made Yuma realize that his skills are terrible and hopefully this will make him want to improve, as well as make him a likable character to me since I still find him borderline unlikable at this point. I just think that he could have had that realization earlier and that his first thoughts after his lost to Kaito weren't how he can't become a Duel Champion. That just seems pretty insignificant after almost losing his soul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I watched 14 today and I enjoyed it. It was interesting to see Yuma break down now that he lost a duel with so much on the line. I hope that a little more light is shed on Faker's motivations though, since, well, he's apparently killing off the people of Astral World for generic evil plan. I welcome a tournament arc since that will give this show some semblance of structure. Next week a training episode with Blue-Eyes and the Black Magicians! Nostalgia to the max, but continuity confusion to the max as well...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I watched 14 today and I enjoyed it. It was interesting to see Yuma break down now that he lost a duel with so much on the line. I hope that a little more light is shed on Faker's motivations though, since, well, he's apparently killing off the people of Astral World for generic evil plan. I welcome a tournament arc since that will give this show some semblance of structure. Next week a training episode with Blue-Eyes and the Black Magicians! Nostalgia to the max, but continuity confusion to the max as well...
    I wouldn't mind more of an explanation or backstory on Faker to explain why he wants to attack Astral's world, as well as how he found out about it to begin with. From what I've heard, he seems to think that they need to destroy the Astral World, which does make me think that he believes them to be evil creatures. Having some sense of structure would definitely help this show. Whenever I think back to some of the earlier duels, there really wasn't much beyond Yuma getting new cards and/or new friends after every duel. Having a tournament would give the duels more purpose/significance. Not to mention it should hopefully give the writers a chance to focus on someone who isn't Yuma or Astral for a few duels and they can showcase more new cards than what they have through Yuma.

I like a bit of nostaliga with seeing Blue-Eyes White Dragon, Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl. It feels a bit early to play the nostalgia card, but GX did that pretty often throughout the first couple of seasons. It also does hint at Zexal taking place in the same universe as the other series, especially since these monsters are referred as legendary monsters. I actually kind of like the idea of Zexal being in the same universe as the previous series. Maybe it's just from enjoying the anniversary movie so much, but I do like how all of the series in the same universe. Plus, it does offer a chance for cameos/references from older characters, which would be pretty awesome every now and then. Since the monsters are wooden statues, it does give me the impression that a long time has passed since DM, but I'm kind of curious as to how much. Despite being somewhere in the future, the technology, outside of perhaps the D-Gazers for the duels, aren't really that much more advanced from what was seen in New Domino City and Heartland itself feels more like a generic version of what a futuristic city would look like instead of a huge advancement in their technology. Still, it should be interesting if they do mention how far into the future Zexal is during this episode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I wouldn't mind more of an explanation or backstory on Faker to explain why he wants to attack Astral's world, as well as how he found out about it to begin with. From what I've heard, he seems to think that they need to destroy the Astral World, which does make me think that he believes them to be evil creatures. Having some sense of structure would definitely help this show. Whenever I think back to some of the earlier duels, there really wasn't much beyond Yuma getting new cards and/or new friends after every duel. Having a tournament would give the duels more purpose/significance. Not to mention it should hopefully give the writers a chance to focus on someone who isn't Yuma or Astral for a few duels and they can showcase more new cards than what they have through Yuma.

I like a bit of nostaliga with seeing Blue-Eyes White Dragon, Dark Magician and Dark Magician Girl. It feels a bit early to play the nostalgia card, but GX did that pretty often throughout the first couple of seasons. It also does hint at Zexal taking place in the same universe as the other series, especially since these monsters are referred as legendary monsters. I actually kind of like the idea of Zexal being in the same universe as the previous series. Maybe it's just from enjoying the anniversary movie so much, but I do like how all of the series in the same universe. Plus, it does offer a chance for cameos/references from older characters, which would be pretty awesome every now and then. Since the monsters are wooden statues, it does give me the impression that a long time has passed since DM, but I'm kind of curious as to how much. Despite being somewhere in the future, the technology, outside of perhaps the D-Gazers for the duels, aren't really that much more advanced from what was seen in New Domino City and Heartland itself feels more like a generic version of what a futuristic city would look like instead of a huge advancement in their technology. Still, it should be interesting if they do mention how far into the future Zexal is during this episode.
    I love the idea of them all being in the same universe (I'm a huge continuity and multiverse nerd), and the movie wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if they weren't woven together like that. Heck, GX Season 4 hints at the events of 5D's, so they've taken advantage of it before. I was kind of hoping that ZeXal was an alternate universe in a much larger multiverse as it would explain various inconsistencies (AR replacing Solid Vision, as well as a different overall feel of the world compared to 5D's) as well as better link it to 5D's (In a way) and give more credence to Astral World (Having the setting of ZeXal, the original YGO Universe, and Astral World all being seperate universes in a multiverse).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I love the idea of them all being in the same universe (I'm a huge continuity and multiverse nerd), and the movie wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if they weren't woven together like that. Heck, GX Season 4 hints at the events of 5D's, so they've taken advantage of it before. I was kind of hoping that ZeXal was an alternate universe in a much larger multiverse as it would explain various inconsistencies (AR replacing Solid Vision, as well as a different overall feel of the world compared to 5D's) as well as better link it to 5D's (In a way) and give more credence to Astral World (Having the setting of ZeXal, the original YGO Universe, and Astral World all being seperate universes in a multiverse).
    I agree that having the three series being set in the same universe helped to make the movie more enjoyable in a sense. Though, in a way, it kind of would have made sense for Zexal to be in an alternate universe. While I would have been kind of disappointed with having a series set in a different universe after the anniversary movie, it also would have made it even easier to appeal to a younger audience who aren't familiar to the game or the previous series by going for a completely clean slate. It would also explain why AR replaced Solid Vision. Even if Kaiba isn't running Kaiba Corp by this point, I don't see why the company would go from Solid Vision in which everyone can experience watching a duel to a format in which everyone has to wear a D-Gazer in order to see the duel. Although the AR does have some nice effects with causing some of the background to be destroyed in battle and that was one of the highlights during the earlier duels for me, it doesn't feel like a huge step-up in technology. It would be nice for someone to confirm either through the show or through some official source when Zexal takes place and how the Astral World is connected to the regular Yu-Gi-Oh! universe, which I could see them explaining at some point in Zexal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I usually don't like to double post, but I really wanted to talk about the recent two-parter, mostly due to whole legendary monsters bit.

Yuma, Kotori and Tetsuo see this Duel Lodger after Yuma's Grandmother sends them on this errand. It does look like Zexal takes place in the same universe as the previous three series. Not only do they refer to monsters like Dark Magician, Dark Magician Girl, Blue-Eyes White Dragon and Red-Eyes Black Dragon as legendary monsters, but they also have a lot of GX monsters. There was even Neos, which I think Jaden had the only one unless they made more copies of the card after GX, Cyber Dragon, Rainbow Dragon, Flame-Wing Man and I think there was a Drillroid somewhere in there. For some reason, I got just as excited to see the GX monsters as I did with the DM monsters, if only because I wasn't expecting to see them. There weren't any 5D's monsters, but that's most likely because 5D's just recently ended and isn't nostalgic enough yet. Although, it's really weird to see that GX is old enough now to be nostalgic. Unfortunately, they didn't how long ago those monsters used by their famous owners. I'm honestly interested in seeing how far in the future Zexal takes place in.

The duel between Yuma and the master of this dojo was much shorter than expected. The concept of a wooden deck just sounds weird. Yuma becoming Dark Magician was really weird, especially since I don't know if Kotori and Tetsuo noticed Yuma's body being turned to wood. I didn't think that the master would have three Blue-Eyes to pull off that attack with Ultimate Dragon and then defuse back into three Blue-Eyes combo. Still, it was pretty awesome to see Yuma lose. I think that there's something seriously wrong with the writing when I'm happier seeing the main character lose than when I see him win. Though, I also wouldn't want him to defeat classic monsters at this point anyway. I see how they were trying to associate Yuma's fear of dying during a duel with how monsters have to face that fear all the time, but they were also trying to have Yuma see his monsters as his friends/comrades. That's all well and good, but I thought Yuma already did that due to how he just loves to duel, despite being pretty bad at it.

Oddly enough, I thought that the introduction of the former student attacking the dojo felt like the plot for another episode. It might have been better to focus more on Yuma learning more at the dojo before the old student came back. That feels weird to say considering how some of the earlier episodes felt like they could be combined into one, but combining Yuma getting into the dojo and defending it as a proclaimed new student didn't really mesh well.

The duel itself was okay. I am getting tired of seeing Yuma duel in every single episode though. Even GX, which gave way too much screen time to Jaden, at least gave a tiny breather with showcasing other characters dueling every now and then. Yuma has been dueling for sixteen episodes straight without a sign of a breather anytime soon and the fact that most of these duels have been duel parters doesn't help that much. Still, at least Yuma used a few new cards, some of which seemed to be Gaga support cards, and a new monster, which seemed pretty decent considering the effect. I thought that giving the student a number was kind of random and it might have been more interesting if he wasn't under the control/influence of a card. It certainly would have been a better surprise/twist. Despite being pretty bad at the game, Yuma was able to make some plays without Astral's help, but considering that he still summons Hope in almost every single duel, I don't think he's ready to take on strong opponents on his own.

Even though they were really hammering in how monsters are our friends, the duel was pretty fun to watch. Yuma's sister also saw the duel and basically allowed him to duel as long as he doesn't overdo it, which makes that entire subplot completely and utterly pointless. Why bother including it in the first place? It was only mentioned a couple of times before this two-parter and despite not being allowed to duel, Yuma has been dueling plenty of times before and after the series started. It didn't cause any short of tension, which I think it should have since the concept of a main character not being allowed to duel is pretty interesting. Like other concepts in Zexal that sound pretty interesting on paper, I think that the execution was just terrible. They didn't explain why she didn't want Yuma to duel, although I believe it does have something to do with their father. If that's the case, then why is Akari the only one trying to prevent Yuma from dueling when their grandmother has clearly been okay with it from the start? Since it's possible that something about dueling affected their father, and her son or son-in-law, and maybe led to their disappearance, shouldn't the grandmother be worried about what could happen to Yuma like Akari is?

Yuma got a ton of new cards, which hopefully make his deck more interesting. If he's going to take up all of the screentime, he might as well have cards that I'd like to see or even play for myself. Yuma seemed to get over his fear fairly quickly, but I guess that they couldn't have the main character too afraid/nervous after a defeat for too long. I really hope that the writers do something with the other characters so I can actually care about them. So far, they still feel like bland walking background figures. Including Kotori and Tetsuo in the first part felt unnecessary since all they did was cheer for Yuma and the only thing that Kotori did was feed Yuma his rice ball that apparently helps him with his dueling. So, the only things I can think of that Kotori has done so far has been to cheer Yuma on, bring other people to cheer Yuma on in a duel, be "kidnapped" by cats, nearly be hit by a truck and prepared some food for Yuma. Female empowerment at its finest. Plus, every time I see her, I can't but think of how she's just a bland female childhood friend who has a crush on the clueless main character. The other supporting characters aren't really doing much better for me and I'm finding myself cheering more so for the rivals/anti-heroes in this show more than the protagonists. According the the preview, they are going to form a Numbers Club, which at least has them getting more involved with the plot than cheering for Yuma to do his best all the time, so hopefully they'll start to be more interesting/likable to me.

zoombie is online now Forum Elder
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't know who is more evil, or will be the final boss if it is either one, Dr. Faker or Tron, but Tron is the one I most want to see get his. I can't stand the little brat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoombie View Post
    I don't know who is more evil, or will be the final boss if it is either one, Dr. Faker or Tron, but Tron is the one I most want to see get his. I can't stand the little brat.
    Dr. Faker doesn't seem like final villain material to me. Though, it helps that he really hasn't done much at all. All of his appearances have been brief, with many some lines adding a bit more to the plot, such as bringing up the Astral World, and then he disappears. He only acts like a villain, instead of actually doing something to be a villain. If it wasn't for his appearance in the opening theme, I would have completely forgotten that he's even in this show. Dr. Faker isn't so much evil as he is boring and non-threatening.

Despite being introduced in the second arc, Tron and his group have been much more active with their goals and Tron actually has a present in the series. He's a creepy little kid and I'm still curious as to what plans he has for Shark, especially when he still has that Number card, but I'm honestly wondering why he isn't the major villain for the series. He definitely fits that description more than Dr. Faker does. Though, he's probably only going to be the final villain for the WDC arc, but he seems to be more thought-out than Dr. Faker is. I don't think that the writers knew what to do with him, so they decided to create new villains and figure that out later. Even with the new opening showing that he's going to be buffed up, I still can't understand why they're trying to make it look like Dr. Faker is the matermind behind the series when he hasn't done much of anything.

Tron doesn't bother me that much though. He's creepy, but not too annoying. The only brats in this show that I can't stand are Yuma and after his attempt to sneak into the finals again, despite being threatened for the first offense, Flip. Yuma is still a poorly written, incredibly annoying and unlikable main lead and Flip, who I don't want to look up his original name at the moment, has no redeeming qualities to balance out his attempts to cheat and I seriously question why he's included in the supporting cast if he's going to treat his so-called friends as distractions like that. Though, everyone following his suggestion to crawl under the carpet when there were a ton of people around them, many with cameras, kind of shows that everyone in this cast is pretty dumb too.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention Toukensuke. He is the worst friend ever. He keeps getting Yuma and company in trouble, Yuma has enough problems has it is.

On the subject of Faker and Tron comparisson, I say this I like Faker's subdoinates much more than Tron's subdoinates. They seem more likeable, and more importandantly they duel with honor, at least honor for antagonist. The Number siblings fight dirty, even III who is the nice one of the group we saw what he did the last few episodes, I like Kaito and Gauche more than the Number siblings.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention Toukensuke. He is the worst friend ever. He keeps getting Yuma and company in trouble, Yuma has enough problems has it is.
    He didn't even a friend at this point. He's just hanging out with the main characters so that he can use them to his advantage when the time comes. Toukensuke has barely interacted with Yuma, or anyone from the main cast for that matter, since his debut, so I really don't see the point to his character. Zexal apparently hates to take the focus off of Yuma, so it isn't like they would focus on Toukensuke to balance out his behavior with redeeming qualities. I don't even understand why Yuma would risk his place in the tournament for him when they hadn't had any interactions after their duel to make it seem like they're good friends.

Quote Originally Posted by zoombie
    On the subject of Faker and Tron comparisson, I say this I like Faker's subdoinates much more than Tron's subdoinates. They seem more likeable, and more importandantly they duel with honor, at least honor for antagonist. The Number siblings fight dirty, even III who is the nice one of the group we saw what he did the last few episodes, I like Kaito and Gauche more than the Number siblings.
    I don't know if you can really say that Kaito duels with honor, even for an antagonist, when he took Shark's soul, realized that he didn't have a Number card like he originally thought and kept it anyway until he tied with Astral/Yuma, especially when his debut heavily implied that he didn't like to steal other people's souls. It wasn't like he couldn't release a soul he took or that it was part of an agreement he had when that match against Astral started. I think one can make a better argument that Gauche duels with honor more so than Kaito does. While I do find Kaito's past more interesting than anything involving Yuma and he has a much better reason for dueling than Yuma does, I've been annoyed with him ever since that duel against Shark, which clearly marked him as a Gary-Stu. Droite barely has a personality and hasn't stood out that much, beyond her concern for Kaito at least. Though, I liked what I saw of her deck when she dueled Yuma along with Gauche. Gauche seems okay to me, although I think it's completely unnecessary for him to join the tournament at the last minute to duel Yuma when he could just do that whenever he wanted.

As for the Number siblings, I think that they're more interesting and complex than Dr. Faker's henchmen. Though, at the moment, we really only know enough about III and IV. V has barely appeared and has had few lines, so we can't really determine his personality or how he would duel for that matter. I think he's supposed to duel Kaito in a future episode, so we'll probably get more of him later on. III is one of the few emotionally complex characters in the series. He's clearly the nice one of the group, but he feels like he should follow his family in their quest for revenge after being separated from them for who knows how long. He remembers how they were before Dr. Faker did something to them and drove his other family members to revenge. III seems to be the only one who doesn't genuinely want revenge, at least like his other family members. He did use some underhanded actions in his duel against Yuma, but to be perfectly honest, nothing from that duel made any sense at all. There were so many holes in the writing. Everything from Yuma deciding to not listen to Astral out of nowhere, III's motivation constantly changing to something different, the purpose behind the match being destroyed completely once III used that power to make Yuma forget that catchphrase and separating him from Astral, Tron giving III what was basically a card that could kill him and destroy the world and Tron apparently wanting some result from this match when it was III's idea to go check out Yuma and challenge him to this match in the first place were just painful to see. However, despite all of those flaws, and more, that one was the only Yuma-related match in the WDC preliminary round that was actually interesting. Most of his duels that led to him getting another heart piece were usually either just mediocre or really bad.

There could be some level of complexity in IV's character too. Based on the flashback III had before his duel, IV used to be a relatively happy little kid, so something major had to happen to turn him into a creepy guy who enjoys torturing people with his duels. Despite his "fanservice" moments, he does seem to genuinely care about III, based on the tag duel against Yuma and Kaito and his reaction to seeing III after his duel against Yuma, so he still cares about his family. I honestly wasn't too bothered when he injured Tetsuo and the class rep kid. Both characters have had little importance and focus in the first arc that I haven't become that attached to them to the point where I would care if they were injured. Tetsuo is probably the least bland member of the main cast, which admittedly isn't saying much, but I still don't like him that much more than the other characters. And I don't care about the class rep kid so much that I don't bother referring him by his actual name. I thought it was worse when he was using that image of Haruto being tortured during the tag duel to mess with Kaito.

With III and arguably IV, they've felt much more interesting villains and they're more connected to the main plot than Gauche and Droite are. They seem like better villains to me and their past can flesh out their personalities some more to make them more complex.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Episode 52

It is obvious who the hooded girl was. I knew it was Anna from the first time I saw the hooded girl. Hoods aren't great disguices, just ask the girl in Mermaid Heel, everyone seems to think they know who she is. I love how she was just there and not in the actual tournament. Hillarous.

Anyway the more series goes, the more I am loving Gauche. I hope he survives this whole arc, and becomes an allie in the next arc.

General thought, Just me or does Heartland feels like he is going to be the Yeager of the series. A puppet, a wessel, but still not completely evil, that there is still hope for him.

Episode 53

A set up episodes, Yuma paid back Gauche for his help. And it is Tron vs Droite next episode, and we find out something about Drotie's past and how she is connected to Kaito. She was acting like a mother hen this episode to Kaito. Even though they don't remember but deep down she knows, she is connected to Kaito, maybe an older sister. That is the most likely scenereo, I don't think she is old enough to be his mother, she looks to be Akari's age, I guess Yuma and Kaito have more in common, I love it. Also might explain why she and Gauche took Haruto's kidnapping so personally. They were as angry as Kaito about that.
    Last edited by zoombie; 05-03-2012 at 02:07 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Episode 52

It is obvious who the hooded girl was. I knew it was Anna from the first time I saw the hooded girl. Hoods aren't great disguices, just ask the girl in Mermaid Heel, everyone seems to think they know who she is. I love how she was just there and not in the actual tournament. Hillarous.
    Personally, I didn't think that was funny. It was actually kind of disturbing if you think about why she was doing this. She tied someone up, stole their heart pieces and their place in the finals just to be with Yuma. That really bothers me since it shows what she's willing to do out of her crush for Yuma. They basically turned her into a female Toukensuke in her appearance and I think even Kotori mentioned the similar behavior between the two. After her debut, I was disappointed with how she developed a crush on Yuma, but this second appearance just made her completely unlikable for me. All she did in the end was act as a shield for Yuma and then fly off after she lost. I'd be happy if she never came back to be perfectly honest. There are far too many useless characters in this show and we already have two useless female characters. There's no need to add another one. Besides, I'm still annoyed with the fact that Yuma even has a harem. At least when Jack had a harem in 5D's, it made sense due to how awesome he is, although I still didn't like it due to how he should only be with Carly. In comparison, Yuma is an annoying and unlikable idiot, so I don't see the mass appeal the female characters see in him.

Anyway the more series goes, the more I am loging Gauche. I hope he survives this whole arc, and becomes an allie in the next arc.
    Yuma already sees Gauche as his friend because they dueled once. Yuma's whole belief is that duelist automatically become friends after they duel, which still doesn't make any sense when one thinks about it and there have been a few times where he contradicts his beliefs in dueling, but Yuma already treats Gauche more like an friend than an enemy.

General thought, Just me or does Heartland feels like he is going to be the Yeager of the series. A puppet, a wessel, but still not completely evil, that there is still hope for him.
    I don't really get that impression from Mr. Heartland at all. If anything, it feels like he's pulling the strings for Kaito due to being the one who took Haruto away initially and telling him that he would help heal Haruto if Kaito finds all of the Numbers. I don't think that there's been any signs on-screen to make me believe that there's still hope for him. He feels more like a villain than Dr. Faker does, which doesn't say much considering how he has done nothing, but it feels more like he's pulling even Dr. Faker's strings with how he apparently knew who Tron is.

Episode 53

A set up episodes, Yuma paid back Gauche for his help. And it is Tron vs Droite next episode, and we find out something about Drotie's past and how she is connected to Kaito. She was acting like a mother hen this episode to Kaito. Even though they don't remember but deep down she knows, she is connected to Kaito, maybe an older sister. That is the most likely scenereo, I don't think she is old enough to be his mother, she looks to be Akari's age, I guess Yuma and Kaito have more in common, I love it. Also might explain why she and Gauche took Haruto's kidnapping so personally. They were as angry as Kaito about that.
    Given that Droite has memories of Kaito in those previews, I don't think she has a problem with remembering anything. I think that the screens on their Duel Coasters at the start of the episodes showed how old they are. Apparently, Kaito is eighteen, while both Gauche and Droite are nineteen. I can kind of believe that Droite is nineteen, but Gauche looks so much like a guy in his mid-twenties at least. Kaito always struck me as a fifteen year old, so being eighteen is just weird, especially when he looks too short to be that age. I'm not sure if Droite being like an older sister gives Yuma and Kaito another thing in common. Akari hasn't really helped Yuma that much and her attempts to protect him was basically telling him not to duel, which was extremely pointless. I think only Gauche was really upset when Haruto was kidnapped to the point where he tried to beat up Yuma, which I was okay with. Droite was relatively calm from what I remember.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Since there is no talkback thread for Yu Gi Oh Zexal 2, I guess we can continues the discussion here.

Looks like from the OP and ED, at lot of characters are dropped from the series. Including Akari, Gauche, Droite, the number siblings, etc. I am disappointed to see some of these characters go, hopefully we haven't seen the last of all of them. Especially one character giving a new character introduction, more on that later.

I don't know why they went through all that trouble in the OP and ED to hide Rio's complete face and mainly her eyes, only to show her complete face in episode 5. If it is more later in the series, but episode 5. Ever since I found the truth about IV and the circumstances of why he did the things he did, I have always kind of been a IV / Rio shipper. He was fourced to hurt her, and always felt regret for that. I wish he was around to seek redemption and forgiveness from her. Bring IV back.
    Last edited by zoombie; 11-18-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Since there is no talkback thread for Yu Gi Oh Zexal 2, I guess we can continues the discussion here.
    Well, Zexal II isn't really a new series. It's been promoted like it is one, but narrative speaking, it's treated like the same show. It's kind of like Best Wishes season two in that regard.

Looks like from the OP and ED, at lot of characters are dropped from the series. Including Akari, Gauche, Droite, the number siblings, etc. I am disappointed to see some of these characters, hopefully we haven't seen the last of all of them. Especially one character giving a new character introduction, more on that later.
    Akari is forgettable enough as it is, so I don't mind that. I didn't care much for Gauche and Droite either. Gauche was the more entertaining out of the two, but I don't mind the idea of him being dropped from the series. Droite was boring even before they revealed her crush on Kaito and by the end of the first season, she basically became the Kotori of his group with doing nothing but cheering for Kaito and calling out of his name, so I definitely would be fine with her being written off. I actually like most of the number siblings, although Chris was kind of boring. I'm sure that they'll appear again at some point.

I don't know why they went through all that trouble in the OP and ED to hide Rio's complete face and mainly her eyes, only to show her complete face in episode 5. If it is more later in the series, but episode 5. Ever since I found the truth about IV and the circumstances of why he did the things he did, I have always kind of been a IV / Rio shipper. He was fourced to hurt her, and always felt regret for that. I wish he was around to seek redemption and forgiveness from her. Bring IV back.
    It's even more ridiculous that they hid Rio's face when they showed her during some of the preview images for the new season. While pairing IV with Rio kind of makes sense, I'd actually prefer for Rio to not have a love interest. I'm already tired out of all of the female characters in this series being treated as love interests for main characters since it just makes it look like they don't know what else to do with them. If being love interests actually gave each character some good development, then I probably wouldn't mind it, but as it is, I would like for just one female character in this show to not be treated as a love interest, although that's probably not too likely.

So far, Zexal II hasn't been that much different from the first season, which is why I compare it to Best Wishes season two. At first, they did a decent job with setting up the new villains, but for the last few episodes, the villains have been pretty stupid with basically repeating the same plan over and over again expecting different results. Most of the new characters haven't really done much for me. Rio, so far, is the only exception. She is a bit of a Mary Sue with being that good at all of the clubs the day after being released from the hospital, but she actually does have a pretty nice personality with being friendly and tough in different situations. Her first duel also showed that she does have some nice strategy and I like the relationship between her and Shark. While I don't think that this is how I would have liked Rio to be handled, they are at least trying to do more with a female character in this series beyond being a cheerleader/love interest and it's hinted that she is connected to the Barian World, so I give them credit for that.

I've also heard that the preview for the next episode shows Kotori dueling under the Barian control. I honestly couldn't care less that Kotori is finally dueling. Just because a female character duels doesn't make them good characters. Cathy and Anna duel, but I find Cathy completely boring and Anna is basically unlikable to me after the stunt she pulled in the WDC finals. More importantly, dueling hasn't helped either one of their characters. In GX, I thought that Asuka was boring, even though she was the first female duelist on the main cast. Unless they start making Kotori more interesting, I don't think that dueling is going to help her out. Besides that, since she's under Barian control, I have a strong feeling that this is going to be a one time deal more than anything else.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well we are not going to see any real romance in this series, don't kill me wrong. And I am not a shipper either, I just think those two would make a nice couple and makes sense. I don't really care much about romance. We are not going to see that on this series I know that. The closest we could get is for IV and Rio to have a tag duel. That is enough for me.

Though if that qualifies as shipping moment, than Yuma, Shark, and Kite, they are praticularly married.

I have only seen as far as episode 6, from the look at the end of that episode, Rio and Cathy are not going to get along. Yest the bad guys plan does get old, but this is a new season, I guess we have to expect and accept that for the time being.

I think Yuma, Shark, and Kaito they are new Yuesi, Jack, and Crow, and Kotori is the new Aki, we just need one more member and we have our new team.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well we are not going to see any real romance in this series, don't kill me wrong. And I am not a shipper either, I just think those two would make a nice couple and makes sense. I don't really care much about romance. We are not going to see that on this series I know that. The closest we could get is for IV and Rio to have a tag duel. That is enough for me.

Though if that qualifies as shipping moment, than Yuma, Shark, and Kite, they are praticularly married.
    If it isn't going to mean anything for either character, then I'd rather not see them become a couple, especially when I'm tired of female characters being love interests just because they're cute.

I have only seen as far as episode 6, from the look at the end of that episode, Rio and Cathy are not going to get along. Yest the bad guys plan does get old, but this is a new season, I guess we have to expect and accept that for the time being.
    I could have done without that cat gag at the end of the episode. It just seemed like a weird way to make Rio look cute at the end. I'm also hoping that there won't be much interaction between her and Cathy since I really don't like Cathy. I don't think being a new season excuses the fact that the plan was old by the third attempt to use it. At least with the first two tries, they went for people that looked tough and the second guy was a professional duelist. Going from that to random people at Yuma's school is a significant step down and I don't think that it should be like that if they want to make the villains threatening. They sound better in some of the preview information I've read about, but that doesn't mean that the start of a new season should excuse any flaws that the villains, or anything for that matter, should have.

I think Yuma, Shark, and Kaito they are new Yuesi, Jack, and Crow, and Kotori is the new Aki, we just need one more member and we have our new team.
    Yuma, Shark and Kaito are the new main trio. They had that in DM as well with Yugi, Jonouchi and Kaiba, although I forget if they had something like in GX. I don't think that Kotori is the new Aki per say. She doesn't have as much significance as Aki did in at least the first two arcs. She's just the new female cheerleader, which Aki did become, unfortunately, in the post Dark Signer arcs. At least saying Yuma, Shark and Katio are the new Yusei, Jack and Crow kind of makes sense given that they're the main three duelists that they now love to promote for the anime.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast