Search the Site:
Follow Us:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dexters Lab is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What are your thoughts on dinosaur king?

Like This Thread!

I used to like Pokemon and it looks somewhat similar is it a fun show worth checking out or terrible?

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked it. It's not particularly great, but it's a decent "monster"-esque show. Fairly episodic starting off, but by the end of the first storyline, it begins an ongoing story that I found quite enjoyable. The one fairly large downside I found was that the battles are fairly dull, particularly the lifeless and somewhat jarring CGI.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I enjoyed it too. While I don't think it really stands out compared to a lot of other toyetic/monster battle shows, the characters were generally fun, there was some interesting aspects to the storyline, especially during the second arc, and the battles could be pretty good at times. It isn't exactly like Pokemon, but I think you'd like Dinosaur King.

FFmax is offline Poke Maniac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dinosaur King, they're done with that show right? I kinda liked it, the battle animations for their attacks looked fantastic, didn't care for the Team Rocket clones though.The green woman haired had Jessie's 4kids VA!! I think they were called the Alpha team or something.
    Fan of jrpgs, anime, and cartoons.

ShadowBlinky is offline Let There Be Snow...man!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I liked how they featured lesser-known dinosaurs.

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The show has many of the original Pokemon casts basically playing the exact same characters. So...
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

D Dubbs is offline Wish Upon A Star
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    The show has many of the original Pokemon casts basically playing the exact same characters. So...
    Also, Darren Dunstan was the ADR, and he also directed the majority of Pokemon as well. So, if you like the dialogue from the 4Kids seasons of Pokemon, you're very likely to enjoy Dinosaur King's dialogue. There are some episodes that are really quite hilarious, like "A Gameshow Showdown" "The Big Apple Grapple" "Double or Nothing" "Dinosaur Amour" "Ninja Nightmare" and "Lights Camera Destruction!" Darren Dunstan and the voice actors really have a blast with those ones.

The show appears to have no continuity at all in the beginning but slowly things start coming together and the end result is pretty sweet. The final 10 episodes or so of season one are quite intense. But yeah, the first 6 episodes are pretty bland...if you want you could skip episodes 4-6 and you wouldn't miss much (1-3 are pretty necessary for establishing the show though).
    "If some have learned something that is fine. If others have learned nothing that is fine as well, more importantly...it was fun, right?"
    - Master Norb

PC!
    PC! is offline lolwut?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlinky View Post
    I liked how they featured lesser-known dinosaurs.
    They sure did! I couldn't pronounce the names of half the dinosaurs in the show, and the 10-year-old kids were rattling their names off without a hitch. As far as I'm concerned, the only dinosaurs they fought were triceratops, raptors, and t-rexes.

My webcomic: Zack and Zeke

A heartwarming nonsensical tale comedy of friendship errors between a boy moron and his sarcastic alien

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FFmax View Post
    Dinosaur King, they're done with that show right? I kinda liked it, the battle animations for their attacks looked fantastic, didn't care for the Team Rocket clones though.The green woman haired had Jessie's 4kids VA!! I think they were called the Alpha team or something.
    I think 4Kids finished airing Dinosaur King around a year ago. While the Alpha Gang did come off as Team Rocket clones and weren't as fun for me, they could still be pretty funny at times and I liked how they teamed up with the D-Team during the second season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ive been watching and maybe i didnt pay enough attention but i have a ton of questions about the basic premise of the show that i just dont under stand.
    1)so what are the dinosaur cards exactly? fragments from the past that transformed into cards instead of fossils? they each have on attack card? can you interchange attack cards?
    2)how exactly does that device thing work and why can the dinosaurs transform into chibi forms?
    3)did the alpha gang create the cards? what exactly did that professor create? if he created the cards why are they all around the world? why exactly is the alpha gang bad guys?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexters Lab View Post
    ive been watching and maybe i didnt pay enough attention but i have a ton of questions about the basic premise of the show that i just dont under stand.
    1)so what are the dinosaur cards exactly? fragments from the past that transformed into cards instead of fossils? they each have on attack card? can you interchange attack cards?
    2)how exactly does that device thing work and why can the dinosaurs transform into chibi forms?
    3)did the alpha gang create the cards? what exactly did that professor create? if he created the cards why are they all around the world? why exactly is the alpha gang bad guys?
    I think that the origin for the dinosaur cards is revealed either during the last few episodes of the first season. My memory is a bit fuzzy as to when exactly, but I'm sure that is explained before season two starts. As for the attack card, it really depends on what element the Dinosaur card is under. Rex's dinosaur, Ace, is a Wind attribute dinosaur, so it can use any wind type attack cards. I think in most cases, the dinosaurs can use any attack card as long as it matches their element attribute, but I haven't watched Dinosaur King in ages.

The device that the D-Team and the Alpha Gang uses is connected to the stones that they found along with the cards. If they swipe the card in one way, the dinosaurs become huge and ready to battle. If they swipe the card in the reverse way, they get those chibi dinosaur forms. It is pretty weird, but it's for marketing the card game, as well as making the dinosaur look cute when they aren't battling.

I don't believe the Alpha Gang created all of the dinosaur card. I know that Dr. Z creates a few powerful dinosaur cards, as well as some move cards, but I'm pretty sure that it was someone else who created all of the other dinosaur cards. I won't spoil who since that will be mentioned later on in the first season, as well as why they're scattered all around the world and why the Alpha Gang is considered evil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, pretty much all the answers to those questions are revealed later in the show. It's weird that they don't explain everything right away, but the payoff is worth the wait, at least in my opinion.
    "If some have learned something that is fine. If others have learned nothing that is fine as well, more importantly...it was fun, right?"
    - Master Norb

Manga4life is offline DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For me, Dinosaur King is a fun Saturday morning anime program that isn't great nor is it bad, it's just another basic anime with a toyetic flavor to it and to me that's what makes it kinda fun. I wouldn't go out and buy any DVD's based on this show (if there were any) and I didn't go out of my way to watch the show back when it constantly aired, but if it was on an no other Saturday morning show that opposed it tickled my fancy I had no problem watching it. That's kind of how I approached and viewed Dinosaur King in a nutshell.

Yeah, I have a....

Blog! Latest blog entry 1/2/2013 - "Valiant Entertainment: The BEST publisher in comics today!"

I have a Twitter, follow me!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dubbs View Post
    Yeah, pretty much all the answers to those questions are revealed later in the show. It's weird that they don't explain everything right away, but the payoff is worth the wait, at least in my opinion.
    It actually would have been nice if they did explain the origin for the cards and the Alpha Gang a bit earlier than they did, especially since a large portion of the first season was basically just getting the dinosaur card of the week. Though, there were still some nice hints of the storyline and backstory for some of the characters here and there and I do agree that the payoff at the end is worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life
    For me, Dinosaur King is a fun Saturday morning anime program that isn't great nor is it bad, it's just another basic anime with a toyetic flavor to it and to me that's what makes it kinda fun. I wouldn't go out and buy any DVD's based on this show (if there were any) and I didn't go out of my way to watch the show back when it constantly aired, but if it was on an no other Saturday morning show that opposed it tickled my fancy I had no problem watching it. That's kind of how I approached and viewed Dinosaur King in a nutshell.
    There actually are a few Dinosaur King DVDs released a year or two ago, but only a few volumes I believe. I can see where you're coming from and I do see Dinosaur King as a fun and fairly average toyetic anime series. It is pretty enjoyable to watch and Rex is my favorite character in the series, but I think that there are better toyetic series out there too. Though, I think that the second season is a nice improvement over the first one, especially with the way the storyline is handled.

Manga4life is offline DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    It actually would have been nice if they did explain the origin for the cards and the Alpha Gang a bit earlier than they did, especially since a large portion of the first season was basically just getting the dinosaur card of the week. Though, there were still some nice hints of the storyline and backstory for some of the characters here and there and I do agree that the payoff at the end is worth the wait.

There actually are a few Dinosaur King DVDs released a year or two ago, but only a few volumes I believe. I can see where you're coming from and I do see Dinosaur King as a fun and fairly average toyetic anime series. It is pretty enjoyable to watch and Rex is my favorite character in the series, but I think that there are better toyetic series out there too. Though, I think that the second season is a nice improvement over the first one, especially with the way the storyline is handled.
    Yeah, I felt the same way about the second season as well, it was just a lot more polished overall and had a better presence of story and plot that the first season which was just okay at best.

I didn't know about the DVD's being released, were they put out by 4Kids?

Yeah, I have a....

Blog! Latest blog entry 1/2/2013 - "Valiant Entertainment: The BEST publisher in comics today!"

I have a Twitter, follow me!

ftw63cc is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dinosaur King ... *strokes beard*

Nice comedy show that mimics Pokemon, but isn't identical in any real way, except having similar character types, and sharing similar voice actors.

Taoku is offline Otaku Chicks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manga4life View Post
    I didn't know about the DVD's being released, were they put out by 4Kids?
    Only two, and they were released by Shout! Factory.
    Tatoba! Tatoba! Tatoba!

Muthablood Pucka is offline I no longer exist...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I actually enjoyed Dinosaur King.It was a fun,awsome show.I wonder if 4kids lost the rights to the show or something because it isnt on TV nomore .

By the way,I have a question about one episode of Dinosaur King.I forgot the name of the episode but from what I remembered,the D Team and those Team Rocket look-a-likes were in some castle or temple or something with a bunch of kids who called the green haired woman "Pruny" and Zoe's dinosaur,Paris started to smell something I think and Paris kept running throughout the castle and everyone was following Paris.
    If anyone knows the episode name, feel free to tell me.If nobody doesnt know the episode,it's okay.

EDIT:I found the episode it's called "The Haunted Hunt"
    Last edited by Muthablood Pucka; 04-10-2011 at 03:09 AM.
    Hahaha! I won the game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the answers so a few more questions. how edited is the dub? pokemon level(somewhat low) or yugioh level(somewhat high)? did they make figures for the show? is the DS game any good? so is this franchise pretty much dead now or is there chance for another game/anime? was it successful or just did ok but nothing impressive thanks in advanced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScragAndMrFlea View Post
    I actually enjoyed Dinosaur King.It was a fun,awsome show.I wonder if 4kids lost the rights to the show or something because it isnt on TV nomore .
    No, they still have all the rights to it. It finished its run on TV so they took it off. They still have it streaming though, at several different sites:

http://www.youtube.com/show/dinosaurking
    http://www.4kidstv.com/tv-dinosaur-king
    http://www.hulu.com/dinosaur-king (first season only so far)
    http://toonzaki.com/dinosaurking (first 40 episodes so far)

Quote Originally Posted by Dexters Lab View Post
    thanks for the answers so a few more questions. how edited is the dub? pokemon level(somewhat low) or yugioh level(somewhat high)? did they make figures for the show? is the DS game any good? so is this franchise pretty much dead now or is there chance for another game/anime? was it successful or just did ok but nothing impressive thanks in advanced.
    Pretty much Pokemon level edited. There's a little bit of censorship where necessary, but most of the dialogue is kept as is, and they even keep some of the original score (not much, but it's still a pretty rare thing for a 4Kids dub to do).

The DS game is an RPG pretty similar to Pokemon and it's gotten pretty decent reviews. I own a copy and it's a decent game, albeit not anything revolutionary. If you like dinosaurs and you like the Pokemon games, you can't really go wrong.

Dinosaur King didn't really make a big impact in the U.S. It was a solid performer for 4Kids for several years, but it didn't really achieve big success since it was limited to airing once a week. However, it did become very popular here in Europe. Ratings were high, lots of merchandise was made and the card game sold like crazy. In fact, 4Kids just signed a new magazine deal in the UK for Dinosaur King to start in August, despite the show being over for a year or more now.

I don't think it's likely to get another season though. It did get another 30 episode season after its original order of 49 episodes, but I doubt it'll get more than that at this point.
    - Master Norb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast