Gilgamesh is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Soul View Post
    That guys reaction is... ___.
    Seriously that's priceless, but boy.
    Japan and their toygenic crap.
    I think Card Game Series might not work in the US, outside of Yu-Gi-Oh!, Duel Masters tried in a way but I dunno how a something like this'd work.

It's Bakugan country now boys.
    Duel Masters lasted for three seasons. That's nothing to belittle in this kind of market.

Takao is offline Fight the darkness all around
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    Duel Masters lasted for three seasons. That's nothing to belittle in this kind of market.
    3 seasons isn't a lot when you consider the franchise is still going in Japan, and is actually a bigger card game than Yu-Gi-Oh! over there.
    I Miss Bionix - Canada's only source for anime news
    Project Rising Beetle - The #1 English Medabots community
    NearVita.com - Exclusive news, reviews and more on the PlayStation Vita

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takao View Post
    3 seasons isn't a lot when you consider the franchise is still going in Japan, and is actually a bigger card game than Yu-Gi-Oh! over there.
    One of Duel Masters's US seasons was entirely US produced.

It didn't last long, but it had a unique success and in the US television market, 3 seasons is a pretty worthy run for any cartoon show.

garfield15 is offline Member of the 10,000 post club
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    -Kamen Rider Decade-"I'm just a Kamen Rider passing through. Better remember me!"

-"Bang"
    TOM's final words of Toonami. The proof of what Toonami was aimed for and was meant for. Stay Gold. You will always be first and simply the best.

Soul is offline Mainly Lurking Now...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah well, I never noticed kids playing the Duel Masters game as a kid, nor did anyone ever discuss the anime where I lived but oh well.
    But hm, I dunno.
    That seems weird that CrunchyRoll would simulcast it.
    Twitter / Tumblr
    Toonami. The first and still the best. 03/17/97-09/20/08, 04/01/12, 05/26/12-
    Rurouni Kenshin 15th Anniversary Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul View Post
    That seems weird that CrunchyRoll would simulcast it.
    Not really. This is kind of their thing.

They don't have any specific type of thing they simulcast. They just deliver whatever content they can.
    -Kamen Rider Decade-"I'm just a Kamen Rider passing through. Better remember me!"

-"Bang"
    TOM's final words of Toonami. The proof of what Toonami was aimed for and was meant for. Stay Gold. You will always be first and simply the best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So, after I finished listening to the JAM Project opening about three times....

Well, the entire episode was mainly setup and an introduction to the game. I can't say I completely hated it because, you know, it's better to see how these games work. I found it interesting how they were able to write the episode so that it was very obviously an introduction on how to play the game but somehow made sense. The game seems actually pretty easy to play (though you have to show the opponent your hand sometimes lolwut?) though I think if I wanted to learn how, I'd have to try it for myself.

That being said, the fact that the narration said the city is based around card games seemed a little too...eh. Whatever, I'm used to it. There were a few scenes where the animation seemed cheap. Aichi kind of reminds me of the main character of Kamen Rider Den-O, Ryoutarou a bit.

Also, "Raido za Vangaado!"

(God, I can sense the AichiXKai homolust from the minute they started talking to each other)

-"Bang"

Divinenega is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just finished episode 1. Hmm...not too bad actually. The game itself is pretty interesting, and it looks like their going for character interaction rather than some random "save the world" and "the card game is real" crap these series are normally associated with(not that I care much since I still watch the YGO franchise) but of course it's too early to tell just yet. Plus I like the opening. Eh, what the heck. I'll give it a go until it gets to be too ridiculous. It'll fill my quota for the random series I decide to watch for the season.

It certainly seems like the sort of series that would be great for 4 Kids to pick up. Hopefully they'll get on that when the series finishes it's run on Crunchyroll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That was AWESOME.

-I like how, in one episode, Kai is a more well rounded and nuanced character than every other Shonen Rival ever (and he's not even that nuanced, like, at all). Well played, Itou.

-I like the snippet of TCGs in general being a cultural phenomenon and not just one specifically. This is interesting: is Vanguard this world's MTG or is it more like, pardon the reference, Yu-Gi-Oh? It's described as the most recent game to take the world by storm...and that's intriguing. It clearly has clout, but does it have a legacy behind it?

-I really like the mythos behind Vanguard. Very Magic the Gathering (Kai seemed to liken himself and Aichi to Planeswalkers...liked that touch). And the battle scenes that serve as metaphor are a nice change of pace in this genre.

-Nice OP and ED, but again, JAM Project and DUR HUR HOTBLOODED GURRR I LOVE MEMES is overrated to all hell. But I still enjoyed the music.

-Though I REALLY liked Kai, I have to give my current favorite to Indifferent Card Shop Clerk Girl. She's silly.

8/10. Not the best thing in the world and there are some flaws, but it's hard to hate. A nice little story, every character has a unique voice (rare enough in anime as is), and the character dynamic is fresh in comparison to its peers. Well done!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
    -I like how, in one episode, Kai is a more well rounded and nuanced character than every other Shonen Rival ever (and he's not even that nuanced, like, at all). Well played, Itou.
    I know right? Can you believe how.....nice he was? Well, taking his card was kind of a dick move, but he at least gave it back and started explaining the game....and smiling!

-"Bang"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garfield15 View Post
    I know right? Can you believe how.....nice he was? Well, taking his card was kind of a dick move, but he at least gave it back and started explaining the game....and smiling!
    You can tell Kai wants the card, but he's honest enough of a player to actually win it from the proper owner.

One thing I like? Kai's REALLY into the mythos of Vanguard. He's like a Magic: The Gathering player who reads the various tie in novels. I LIKE THIS. And the fact that Vanguard players are essentially Planeswalkers...it's seriously almost as if Yu-Gi-Oh! actually took inspiration from MtG beyond the turn structure.

With Battle Spirits probably never being subbed and 5D's rotting my soul from the inside out...Vanguard might provide a very nice alternative. I'm keeping my eye on this: this was better than it had to be.

Mandouga is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinenega View Post
    It certainly seems like the sort of series that would be great for 4 Kids to pick up. Hopefully they'll get on that when the series finishes it's run on Crunchyroll.
    Dentsu is one of the co-producers, so it's more likely Dentsu America will pick it up so it can be produced by DCI Los Angeles (Deltora Quest), with Upper Deck being the most likely choice for the actual card game.

Anyway, they may be imagining the Planet Cray for now, but I get the feeling that much like Vestroia in Bakugan, Cray is an actual place in which (unbeknonst to Aichi at least) there are real battles going on and that the card game is connected to that. Of course there is the chance that Cray will remain imaginary, but still.

Also, I find it interesting how "Aichi" is the name of the main character. You see, this show airs on TV "Aichi" (and TV Tokyo's other affiliates as well). I might be coincidence, but I bet TMS is the only one who knows for sure. Oh yeah, one CR member saw the game itself as being Yu-Gi-Oh! meets Pokémon, with it's multi-stage "evolution" system of "riding" Vanguards. I'm a bit bummed that the episode ended just as it was getting good. The ending BTW isn't done by JAM Project, it's done by (checks Wikipedia) Natsuko Aso.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next episode.
    Cartoons aren't "just for kids"...but they're not just for adults either. They're for everyone.

bigddan11 is offline Justice must be served!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I watched the first episode earlier this morning, and I will say I believe this series has a lot of potential. I enjoy that they are actually explaining the rules first. The biggest complaint abut Bakugan and Yu-Gi-Oh! was constantly the rules not being obeyed or being altered for the TV series. It looks like Cardfight Vanguard will have that resolved from the beginning. I also enjoy how it seems the main protagonist and rival know each other even though the main protagonist has never played a game of Vanguard before. I can't wait to see how the battle concludes in episode 2, and I look forward to seeing how the rest of the story develops.
    College football, basketball, the NFL, the NBA, and MLB. I may not be an expert, but these sports always keep me fascinated if the game is good!

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/f...7f18425738.jpg
    Beware The Almighty Hammer Gun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Man, ANN sure hates this show.

I'm really starting to vehemently disagree with their reviews as of late.

-"Bang"

Gokou Ruri is offline Wielder of the dark arts.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good thing I never listen to reviews or people in general.

Then again, this show was... okay. Not terrible, but hard to stand out from the other card shows after only 1 episode. Not to mention it seems pretty simple with no magic cards or anything; just creatures attacking. I think even Duel Masters had more strategy than this with Shield Breaker abilities.

Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garfield15 View Post
    Yeah, compared to a lot of other rival-like characters set up as experienced players from the start of a toyetic series, Kai was pretty darn nice. It probably helps that he suspected that this was the same Aichi that he apparently met years ago, but it was still kind of refreshing to see the first opponent of a series' protagonist being respectful enough to not only let him use his card for the match, but had no problems with explaining every detail of the game to him.

Anyway, I just finished watching the first episode for the fun of it. I thought that it was a nice start. I think I liked the ending theme more than the opening theme. Maybe it was just because of the calmer tone in the singing compared to the opening. I also took the whole city/world being focused on this card game a tad weird. I'm used to seeing that in all of the Yu-Gi-Oh! series, but it was kind of weird to see kids in an anime being into a card game that wasn't Duel Monsters. Still, the card game itself sounds kind of interesting and the rules were pretty simple. Some of the monster designs were pretty cool too.

Having the monsters and battle be imaginary was kind of an interesting change of pace compared to other monster series, even though I thought that they were going that route after seeing one of the trailers. I honestly could see them going a Bakugan short of route with having the monsters and planet Clay turn out to be real later on after they introduce the characters and they all get more experience playing the game. Overall, it was a nice start to the series. I especially liked how Aichi started out barely talking over a whisper to showcasing more emotion by the end of the episode. I'm not sure if I'll continue watching the series past the second episode as I do want to find out who wins and how, but I agree that it does have potential. I could see 4Kids acquiring this series as well, but I don't think that it's as certain as them picking up Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing this series with an English dub though.

GingaDaiuchuu is online now Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You guys... thought that was watchable? Wow. Good on you, I guess. I wish I could have felt the same and have another good show to watch each week.
    Avatar: Tomoya Okazaki from Clannad/Clannad After Story (courtesy of Jun Kuga/Fudce from The Fandom Post)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2